PDA

View Full Version : Jenkins Article

LL2
08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Published - Monday, August 13, 2007

POST COMMENT | READ COMMENTS (2 comment(s))
Jenkins off to strong start on defensive line
By Jason Wilde | Lee Newspapers
GREEN BAY — Defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins came into training camp with a few simple goals. The two biggest? Outperform his new four-year, $16 million contract, and shut his brother up.

After what he the did in the Green Bay Packers’ 13-9 preseason-opening victory at Pittsburgh Saturday night, Jenkins is off to a good start on both fronts.

Against the Steelers, Jenkins recorded two sacks — on the first, he forced and recovered a Ben Roethlisberger fumble as he stripped the quarterback just as he was about to throw — and also stuffed ex-Packers halfback Najeh Davenport for no gain on a third-and-1 play on Pittsburgh’s second offensive series. He also added one quarterback hurry.

The performance was simply a continuation of the camp Jenkins has had, as his coaches have been raving about him since the first practice on July 28. Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said last week that Jenkins is having “an outstanding camp.” Coach Mike McCarthy said he’s off to “an incredible start.”

“He’s having about as good a camp as I can recall (anyone having), looking across the line of scrimmage at him,” McCarthy said.

What was impressive Saturday night was the way Jenkins carried his strong practices out to the game. His two sacks came from defensive end, while his stop of Davenport came when he was playing tackle.

Much like defensive end Aaron Kampman elevated his game after signing a four-year, $21 million deal before last season — Kampman led the NFC in sacks with 151/2 and made his first Pro Bowl — Jenkins is committed to doing the same.

“It’s not about getting a contract and being satisfied. It’s about going out and trying to improve every year,” Jenkins said. “I know I can be a whole lot better than I am. I’m just trying to reach that.”

Jenkins had a career-high 61/2 sacks (despite missing two games with an ankle injury) last season. He moved into the starting lineup to replace high-paid pass-rusher Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila as the primary defensive end for the final four games, which coincided with the Packers’ four-game winning streak to end the year.

“It’s important to get out and show people what you’re capable of. You don’t want people coming out and trying to test you, looking at you as being soft,” Jenkins said. “I want to earn some respect and show people we can do stuff as a defense. We want to try to be the best defense in the league.”

One of Jenkins’ more appealing qualities is his consistency; the guy doesn’t act any differently than he did when he was an undrafted free agent simply trying to make the roster.

That approach is in stark contrast to that of his older brother Kris, a Pro Bowl defensive tackle for the Carolina Panthers.

Kris missed most of the 2004 and ’05 seasons with injuries, then was voted to the Pro Bowl last season. He responded by complaining about his contract, threatened to hold out and gained significant weight.

Then, when camp started, Kris not only showed up, but did so in much-improved shape. His attitude went from disgruntled to supposedly dedicated and determined. Of course, he has some external motivation to be that way: His desire for a new big-money contract.

His little brother, meanwhile, has gone about his business the right way. Now, if Cullen could just stop Kris’ trash-talking.

“I’ve been trying for a long time to get out of my brother’s shadow,” Cullen Jenkins said. “He’s been to the Pro Bowl, and he always messes with me because I haven’t been. So it’d be nice to do that. But you know what’d really be nice? It’d be really nice to win a Super Bowl before he does.”

Jason Wilde is a sportswriter for the Wisconsin State Journal in Madison

Carolina_Packer
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Love this guy! I've heard it's a tough match-up because of his thick legs and hips and his speed. Good for him. I like seeing a guy get paid because he's earned it, not because he came with a name.

Him8123
08-20-2007, 03:08 PM
very true, couldn`t agree with you more. Stand up guy, working his ass off and earning everything he deserves. I hope he has an unbelievable year.

the_idle_threat
08-21-2007, 12:44 AM
I've been a Cullen Jenkins fan for a long time. If he stays healthy, I think he's a future Pro-Bowler.

Badgepack
08-21-2007, 09:22 AM
After watching the 1st half against the Seahawks I think Jenkins should be allowed to wear #92. :D