PDA

View Full Version : Something funny about the Jones pick

footballfever
08-20-2007, 12:04 PM
For all the TT naysayers out there, to draft James Jones or trade that pick for Randy Moss? That is the question....... TT has a press conference this afternoon its probably to say, HA! I told you so. Randy Moss hasn't played a single snap of preseason football, he's an aging WR with an attitude problem. We didn't need that kind of presence in the locker room and we didn't need that kind of work ethic presenting itself on the field of play. So here's to you Mr. Thompson, you just stay the course and do what you gotta do.

Lurker64
08-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Right now, Randy Moss is probably a better Wide Receiver than James Jones, however considering that our choice was largely between a one year rental on Moss who's on the downside his career and 4+ years on Jones who clearly appears to be on the upside, we probably made the right call.

The Patriots are a veteran team who's looking to buy a superbowl, they can handle Moss being Moss. We're a young an growing team that's looking to not only improve this year, but continue this trend until we're in the position where buying 1-2 key cogs really can make you a superbowl favorite. Jones fits us a lot better than Moss does.

Carolina_Packer
08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
One more time in case anyone missed it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj5WV8nqxDY&NR=1

The video has some repeat plays from different angles, but it's a nice highlight package. The guy may not have breakaway speed, but if he gets open and catches the ball, I think we'll all love him.

Speedsters are overrated sometimes vs. guys who can get off a jam, run precise routes, sit down in a zone, and catch with their hands away from their bodies, or use their bodies to leverage against the defender.

I think Jonesy will be just fine.

Him8123
08-20-2007, 03:19 PM
great highlight reel. Watching him and please dont jump to conclusions, cause lord no im not trying to make any connections. But watching him play was almost like vince young in college though he` no vince young but he seems to make plays look effortlessly like young does. It`s like he plays in slow motion but know one can still get him. It`s like he has beartraps for hands and is gonna catch anything thrown his way. I really hope he has a big year. Great background story on him, you can`t help but cheer this guy on and hope he excells.

LaFours
08-20-2007, 03:38 PM
...It`s like he has beartraps for hands...

Tell the trainers we'll be going through a lot of balls then.

Deputy Nutz
08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I took a couple of things away from the highlight reel, and I am glad I watched it because it was some of the first college tape I watched on the guy.

First, he plays alot faster than his 4.69 forty time. Man those things can be misleading and I am glad we are not a team run by guys like Al Davis that just falls in love with the measurables, and forgets about other things.

To go with topic uno, Jones seems to always be in position to make a play on the football, he times his jumps and breaks accordantly, very good position player.

Good hands, he is able to focus on the football and make the tough catch in traffic.

Baby Sterling?

Green Bud Packer
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Baby Sterling?

He's thick like Sharpe and has better hands.

Sorta like Baby Huey.

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
I never expected Jones to play as well as he did. I think hands and the ability to adjust to the ball are the most important qualities in a pass catcher but I just thought he would have trouble really making plays in the NFL becuase of his severe speed limitations. He made a bunch of plays like that one on the sideline in college but you thought maybe it was just the crappy CB's. Well, he just did it against Marcus Trufant, a borderline probowler. He was compared to Sterling by Gruden (who coached sharpe) and by a few others. I thought it was a little high praise and probably still is, but a poor mans Sharpe is starting to look in reach for him. Par for the course with TT, it looks like a great pick.

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I never expected Jones to play as well as he did. I think hands and the ability to adjust to the ball are the most important qualities in a pass catcher but I just thought he would have trouble really making plays in the NFL becuase of his severe speed limitations. He made a bunch of plays like that one on the sideline in college but you thought maybe it was just the crappy CB's. Well, he just did it against Marcus Trufant, a borderline probowler. He was compared to Sterling by Gruden (who coached sharpe) and by a few others. I thought it was a little high praise and probably still is, but a poor mans Sharpe is starting to look in reach for him. Par for the course with TT, it looks like a great pick.

Nobody expected it. NOBODY, probably including Thompson. Just don't be disappointed when he hits the rookie wall this year, OK? The guy can be really good, but to think he's the next Randy Moss (as a rookie), well, those expectations are just a bit too much.

30-40 balls with a couple of TD's and 500 yds with some good blocking, and I'm THRILLED.

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Nobody expected it. NOBODY, probably including Thompson. Just don't be disappointed when he hits the rookie wall this year, OK? The guy can be really good, but to think he's the next Randy Moss (as a rookie), well, those expectations are just a bit too much.

30-40 balls with a couple of TD's and 500 yds with some good blocking, and I'm THRILLED.

I'd be thrilled with that too. He's a rookie.

MJZiggy
08-20-2007, 09:22 PM
He's playing behind Donald Driver and I don't think Donald's gonna suddenly decide to stop playing flanker so that Jones can have a nice season. He will only see the ball during the season during 3 receiver sets from what I can tell...

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
He's playing behind Donald Driver and I don't think Donald's gonna suddenly decide to stop playing flanker so that Jones can have a nice season. He will only see the ball during the season during 3 receiver sets from what I can tell...

Right, he's Drivers backup and Driver plays the playmaking position in this offense. I don't think he's better than Jennings. I think Jennings has more big play ability and just as much comfort with adjusting to the ball.

I think it's Driver/Jennings this year but Jennings/Jones are going to be a nice couple of guys for Rodgers to come into the league with.

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:25 PM

Right, he's Drivers backup and Driver plays the playmaking position in this offense. I don't think he's better than Jennings. I think Jennings has more big play ability and just as much comfort with adjusting to the ball.

I think it's Driver/Jennings this year but Jennings/Jones are going to be a nice couple of guys for Rodgers to come into the league with.

I don't want to jinx the guy, but I've got a bad feeling about Jennings. If he got hurt, I wonder what they'd do? Put Jones in green (no experience), or move Driver over? Maybe we could get Fergie back? :shock: :P

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:27 PM

I'd be thrilled with that too. He's a rookie.

Rereading your previous quote, it sounds to me like you expect the guy to be the next Marques Colston. The fact that you "understand" he's a rookie is NOT obvious to me AT ALL.

The Leaper
08-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Jones looks solid underneath, with the size to make the secondary pay if they don't pay attention to him. He still runs bad routes far too often. He hasn't made any noteworthy plays against starting caliber competition. He does have great hands and strength. The fact he is behind Driver should tell you that the coaches really aren't counting on him to have an impact this year. 20 catches would be a great year for the kid.

Brohm
08-21-2007, 09:05 AM
The catch he made along the sidelines was over Marcus Trufant.

The Leaper
08-21-2007, 10:20 AM
The catch he made along the sidelines was over Marcus Trufant.

That WAS a spectacular catch...and it was against a capable starter. I stand corrected.

However, Trufant was actually in position to make a play on the ball...he just didn't do so. Jones really had done NOTHING on the route to get any separation or show an opening. Rodgers just threw it up, and Jones was able to go up and make a tremendous grab when the defender basically allowed him to do so.

That catch showed the promise of the kid...his body control and ability to make a catch when adjusting to the ball...but to think that kind of play is going to be the norm once he gets in the lineup is crazy. 98 times out of 100, that kind of play is NOT going to be successful...regardless of who the receiver is.

He needs to run better routes and show the ability to get some separation on anything other than a drag route before I'm ready to consider Jones as a reliable contributor.

Spaulding
08-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Carolina, thanks for the link to Youtube on JJ. His reverse on that run and his one handed catch were pretty sweet to watch. Would be interesting to compare his highlights versus some of the other big names drafted before him (Meachem, Rice, Bowe, Smith, etc.) to see how they measure up. He does look to play faster though than his timed 40 would seem to suggest.

I'm trying to recall in years past under Wolf or Sherman if I've ever been pumped to see our drafted players in preseason and thinking that each game played makes the picks look better and better.

Last year I was pretty happy with the draft as were most and it turned out pretty good. This year I am of the same thought with belief that Jackson/Jones/Hall/Crosby might be starters for years for us which would make for a fine draft. Harrell has done little to impress and seems to be given too slack for his injury almost 10 months ago (my Brother had the same injury and although he doesn't play football, it took him about 6-7 months to get back to 90% of his strength) and if he's the pre-injury talent TT thinks he is I would have hoped by now that he'd have shown flashes in camp and games 1 or 2. Way to early to rate him and hopefully he's just slow out of the gate and is a player like Colledge who improved with every game.

TT's draft from 2005 is looking more and more pedestrian (further hurt by Murphy and Underwood injuries and subsequent cuts) but 2006 appears to be paydirt and 2007 is shaping up pretty good.

wist43
08-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Jones has looked good, but you can't extrapolate a HOF career out of 2 preseason games.

He's made a couple of nice grabs in traffic, i.e. the one going up the sideline that MM challenged, and the TD from Rodgers that was a shoetop bullet. Nice grabs, but you have to consider that he was blanketed on both of those catches, and that's not only what we expected to see from him, it is what is of concern.

He lacks the speed and short area burst to create seperation... he seems to be able to make up for it with great hands and strength, as well as good positioning and a knack for going and getting the ball. But in the bigger picture, I still don't see him as having the potential to be much more than a 2 or a 3.

Running drag routes out of the slot when you're given a completely free release... I would expect him to look good.

Hopefully he can continue to progress... don't think he has the upside to ever be a #1. But, then again, I thought that about Driver too. We'll see.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Jones has looked good, but you can't extrapolate a HOF career out of 2 preseason games.

Whose the idiot that extrapolated a HOF career for him?

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2007, 10:55 AM
TT's draft from 2005 is looking more and more pedestrian (further hurt by Murphy and Underwood injuries and subsequent cuts) but 2006 appears to be paydirt and 2007 is shaping up pretty good.

True, but it does depend on Aaron Rodgers. If he turns into a QB that can win playoff games for them, then it will go down as a good draft--with him, Collins, and Poppinga. If not, it will be a poor draft.

Green Bud Packer
08-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Jones should be able to haul in 27 balls and score 3 times this season.

If he does he will have surpassed the totals of Fergie/Holliday in 2006.

The #3 W.R. looks improved over last season.

Thanx Thomps.

When Robinson returns the pack will have four legit wide-outs. Who says Favre has no weapons?

Carolina_Packer
08-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I think we are so starved for help on offense, that when someone like Jones comes along and looks like he's going to be part of the answer, it's great. That said, I hope the kid stays healthy first, and that he can continue to exceed expectations. You gotta root for a kid from his circumstances.

I'm not disappointed in Harrell. I think Jones had more of an opportunity to come in and impress than did Harrell. I mean, Jones is doing it. Nothing was handed to him. Harrell is behind physically, condition-wise, he's behind on understanding the defense and assignments, and there is a lot more competition at his position. Don't you think that was a wake-up call for the other DT when they're thinking, we're pretty deep at this spot, and boom, TT drafts JH. For the record, I did not go ballistic like the guys from the video on the other post. That is just a little too much obession with the personnel matters of the Pack. Geez, relax, you're not in control, so why sweat it?

Carolina_Packer
08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
The Packers marketing dept should incorporate the Coasters hit "Along Came Jones" when he makes a big play. In case you don't have much exposure you to 50's music, the Coasters did "Charlie Brown", "Poison Ivy", "Love Potion Number 9"and other hits. They were a fun group. I love "Along Came Jones" Download it and see what I mean, but listen to it here first:

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Coasters/_/Along+Came+Jones

MJZiggy
08-21-2007, 02:11 PM
This one?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=csNcAxGsrek

Carolina_Packer
08-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Wow, that is hilarious! Great find!! See what I mean about that song? It's awesome...I can hear Packer fans at Lambeau singing the chorus in unison!