PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Weekend Trip In Florida IDeas

Partial
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I am in Gainesville and plan on going on a weekend trip this friday evening through sunday afternoon.

Do any of you guys have any good ideas of places to go? I'd kind of like to go snorkling, go somewhere with good nightlife, and hopefully not have too much travel time and cost.

BH and CW, I am looking at you.

Partial
08-20-2007, 03:20 PM
I am thinking Panama City Beach. How do you feel about that? I would love to go snorkling or scuba diving if I can get certified cheaply and quickly. Plus, I love to party and that place evidentally has quite a nightlife.

Zool
08-20-2007, 03:47 PM
I am in Gainesville and plan on going on a weekend trip this friday evening through sunday afternoon.

Do any of you guys have any good ideas of places to go? I'd kind of like to go snorkling, go somewhere with good nightlife, and hopefully not have too much travel time and cost.

Arent they both like 15?

retailguy
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM

Arent they both like 15?

BH claims to be, but many of us doubt it. We'll see what kind of advice he gets....

BallHawk
08-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Arent they both like 15?

BH claims to be, but many of us doubt it. We'll see what kind of advice he gets....

Why do I have to be the controversial one? Can't CW be it for a few days? :wink:

GBRulz
08-20-2007, 06:23 PM
getting certified for scuba diving is like a month long process. I mean it depends on your schedule, but when I got mine, it took me two months. The cost for the course was $250. It's probably more now, just depends where you go.

FL isn't the greatest for snorkeling. But that is something you could do without any lessons or anything.

You are in a prime college town, I would think there is an abundance of nightlife and cheap bars to find.

the best place to visit in FL IMO are on the southern Gulf side. Naples, Sanibel Island, Ft Myers, etc...but it would be like a 5-6 hr drive for you. I lived in FL for 8 years, but am not too familiar with the northern part.

Something that I found interesting and I don't think it's too far from you is St. Augustine. It's the oldest city in the US. If you are a history buff, you'd really enjoy that.

BH my friend... fess up about the age thing already, will ya? :wink:

MJZiggy
08-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Depending on how he does or does not adhere to the speed laws in Florida, he could be in Clearwater Beach in a little over 3 hours. If you wanna do Busch Gardens, that's about 2 1/2. You're right though, St. Augustine is very cool as is the space coast. I haven't been further south than the bridge leaving Clearwater, though.

I also know that there is a very cool place near Ocala, in the National Forest. If I can think of it, I will post it.

Iron Mike
08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Got $15 and are going to be anywhere near Tampa/St. Pete?

I'd go to the Salvador Dali Museum:

http://www.salvadordalimuseum.org/visit/overview.html

MJZiggy
08-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Oh cool!!! That was a good time. And this time of year a Devil Rays game is not a bad option considering that the Trop is air conditioned....

MJZiggy
08-20-2007, 06:41 PM
WAIT A SECOND!!! This is Partial we're talking about. The original Hooters is in Clearwater just across the Howard Frankland bridge from Tampa...

BallHawk
08-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I am thinking Panama City Beach. How do you feel about that? I would love to go snorkling or scuba diving if I can get certified cheaply and quickly. Plus, I love to party and that place evidentally has quite a nightlife.

Panama City is a cool place. How long would you be going up there for? Scuba certification varies from place, but looking here is a good place to get some info.

http://www.florida-scuba.com/

I warn you, if you're afraid of sharks, don't go scuba diving in Panama Beach. You'll at least 2 or 3 bull sharks. I've even had a friend who saw a Tiger Shark. However, if you're not scared off, the scuba diving is excellent there. Probably the best in Florida, outside of the Key's.

Also, there are a lot of cool little cafes and restaurants in PC. If you're going with a someone, you should check out a restaurant called the Boar's Head. One of the best places to eat in PC, and good prices, too.

http://www.boarsheadrestaurant.com/

It'll take you about 4 hours to drive to PC, but it's worth it. It's a really cool place.

BallHawk
08-20-2007, 06:50 PM
the best place to visit in FL IMO are on the southern Gulf side. Naples, Sanibel Island, Ft Myers, etc...but it would be like a 5-6 hr drive for you. I lived in FL for 8 years, but am not too familiar with the northern part.

Something that I found interesting and I don't think it's too far from you is St. Augustine. It's the oldest city in the US. If you are a history buff, you'd really enjoy that.

St. Augustine is cool, but it's more of a day-trip type of thing. If that's what he's looking for and he's into history, that'd be a place to check out.

I agree, it is a good place to visit. You've got the beach, although the beaches up in Sarasota are way better then the ones down here. You're about an hours drive from the Everglades and about 45 minutes from Marco Island, one of the best beach resort towns in Florida.

Don't come here looking to party, unless bingo is your scene.

I guess I'll just have to show up at the poster's game one year to prove my innocence. :lol:

Deputy Nutz
08-20-2007, 07:12 PM
getting certified for scuba diving is like a month long process. I mean it depends on your schedule, but when I got mine, it took me two months. The cost for the course was $250. It's probably more now, just depends where you go. :wink:

You can get a resort cert. And that only takes two to three hours. I got one, although I was out of the country.

Partial go to downtown Miami with a bunch of money in your pockets and claim as loudly as you can that you hate Cubans, and Scarface was the worst movie you ever saw!

Iron Mike
08-20-2007, 07:13 PM
I'd suggest a trip over to the panhandle if I could figure out who's playing at the Hog's Breath this weekend:

http://www.hogsbreath.com/destin/entertainment/

Charles Woodson
08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Im only usefull in miami, dont think ive ever been to Panama City, wso cant help you there. Although if you want night life, then Miami is where its at.

Charles Woodson
08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
getting certified for scuba diving is like a month long process. I mean it depends on your schedule, but when I got mine, it took me two months. The cost for the course was $250. It's probably more now, just depends where you go.

FL isn't the greatest for snorkeling. But that is something you could do without any lessons or anything.

You are in a prime college town, I would think there is an abundance of nightlife and cheap bars to find.

Actually the best place for snorkeling, is the Cayman islands. Just got back from there on a missions trip. It was amazing.

Partial
08-20-2007, 10:03 PM

Arent they both like 15?

Yeah but they live in Florida. I was going on the assumption their parents took them to the beaches and stuff when they were little.

Partial
08-20-2007, 10:10 PM

Gainesville is an awesome place so far. I like the area except the street system is very screwy. They have numbered streets going in both directions and have a coordinate plane system in place. It's really rather bizzare crossing over the Y access and be going on 1st street W to 1st street E without doing anything really. Makes navigating a little tough.

We're going to go out to a bar on Thursday to watch the game. Tonight we just cracked open some of that new miller chill (which is pretty good) and sat around by the pool.

There is a lot of stuff to do that is near us, but I have never seen the ocean or clear water before so I wanted to go do that whole experience. Scuba seems out of question but I guess there are some good areas for snorkeling after doing some research. Too bad everything is down south!!

We figured out we're too far to go to the white beaches of the pandhandle, namely penesacola and panama city. We're also too far north to go to Miami or the Keys.

What is big around Gainesville are the natural springs and the state parks. We went to Ichetucknee State Park and did the whole tubing thing the other day. That was awesome. Very clear, cold water which was a beautiful shade of green over the sand.

We've narrowed it down to either Daytona Beach or Saint Augustine because now we are committed to doing something with her cousin on Friday night. I think we'll likely hit them both actually, because they are fairly close by and we have two days. Hopefully its a great time. I will post my adventure experiences when we get back!

Partial
08-20-2007, 10:11 PM
WAIT A SECOND!!! This is Partial we're talking about. The original Hooters is in Clearwater just across the Howard Frankland bridge from Tampa...

:lol: :oops:

You guys know me so well! :wink:

Partial
08-20-2007, 10:13 PM

St. Augustine is cool, but it's more of a day-trip type of thing. If that's what he's looking for and he's into history, that'd be a place to check out.

I agree, it is a good place to visit. You've got the beach, although the beaches up in Sarasota are way better then the ones down here. You're about an hours drive from the Everglades and about 45 minutes from Marco Island, one of the best beach resort towns in Florida.

I guess I'll just have to show up at the poster's game one year to prove my innocence. :lol:

45 minutes from Gainesville BH? What is this Sarasota and Marco Island you speak of. Sounds promising.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-20-2007, 10:17 PM
From gainesville you really have 2decent choices within a short drive...and no I don't count PC as a choice. Maybe for spring break.

I lived in Fl for 10 plus years.

1. Head over to Jacksonville. You have the beach, beach bars, or downtown Jville. The beach bars are pretty fun. this time of year plenty of younger types around. Not sure when UNF starts but still should be plenty of good times.

As for snorkeling/scuba. no way in the states can you be certified in a couple of hours. Out of country is a different thing. But, there are plenty of very cool scuba and snorkeling sites that are not beach related. Caves and such. http://www.cavediving.org

Most serious scuba people do the caves or springs and then get out of florida if they are wanting ocean diving.

Inland, springs are an ideal place to snorkel and dive because the water is so clear. Also, spring water temperatures are usually constant in the 70-degree range, so they are a great place to cool off in summer and to warm up in winter. One thing you may notice while snorkeling or diving right at the spring source is the lack of fish..not enough oxygen. Even though you may not see fish at the spring source, you may see other cool-season visitors: West Indian manatees; live in the ocean during warm weather and come inland when temperatures turn cool. And springs are some of their favorite places to congregate. Some springs may be off-limits to you when manatee season comes around, so look for signs.

Good spots for snorkeling in central Florida:
Wekiwa Spring State Park in Apopka -- snorkeling only
Canaveral National Seashore in New Smyrna Beach
Blue Spring State Park in Orange City

N. Florida:
Peacock Springs State Park in Luraville
Fanning Springs State Park in Fanning Springs
Ichetucknee Springs State Park in Fort White
Manatee Springs State Park in Chiefland
DeLeon Springs State Park in DeLeon Springs

2. Orlando. You can party in Orlando or head down to Kissimmee for Disney and Universal. Each has its own party zone...City Walk and downtown Disney. You can party late into the night there. Orlando may have changed bar time, but it was 2. I know the new mayor campaigned on changing bar time, but i've been gone for 2 years.

Charles Woodson
08-20-2007, 10:19 PM

45 minutes from Gainesville BH? What is this Sarasota and Marco Island you speak of. Sounds promising.

Marco island is a good place. Its been a few years since ive been there but the beaches were nice when i did go...

Partial
08-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Those places down south are probably too far. Next time I come down I guess we'll have to plan on doing that and plan on an extra day to compensate for driving.

How is the weather down in Miami and in the keys right after the New Year?

Charles Woodson
08-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Those places down south are probably too far. Next time I come down I guess we'll have to plan on doing that and plan on an extra day to compensate for driving.

Miami always has good weather, If your coming down to party, then New Years is a perfect day to be here.

BallHawk
08-21-2007, 03:25 PM

I'd bring some earmuffs and a heavy coat. The temperature might get down to 50 degrees! :shock:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-22-2007, 12:51 PM

The weather is great, but it is high season. Expect to pay a ton for lodging, etc. Prices rise in November. The keys are jammed up by that time.

Partial
08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
This New Smymra Beach seems to have a lot of shark attacks.

What sort of sharks inhabit the area and is this something I should be concerned if I want to go surfing or bodyboarding? Are their any precautions I should take or items I should purchase to avoid death/bite?

MJZiggy
08-23-2007, 05:23 PM
To avoid shark attacks at New Smyrna Beach, you should go somewhere other than New Smyrna Beach.

Partial
08-23-2007, 05:39 PM
To avoid shark attacks at New Smyrna Beach, you should go somewhere other than New Smyrna Beach.

Is there good surfing at Daytona? The two seem very close and the one has the best surfing in the US or something.

MJZiggy
08-23-2007, 05:41 PM
I haven't really spent time in either place, but from what I understand for the best surfing in the US you need to go to Hawaii. That's a bit of a drive from where you are.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-23-2007, 05:56 PM

What sort of sharks inhabit the area and is this something I should be concerned if I want to go surfing or bodyboarding? Are their any precautions I should take or items I should purchase to avoid death/bite?

No worries about sharks at Smyrna or Daytona.

Most of the good surfing is around that area.

Iron Mike
08-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I haven't really spent time in either place, but from what I understand for the best surfing in the US you need to go to Hawaii. That's a bit of a drive from where you are.

Drive to Hawaii?? :wink:

Freak Out
08-23-2007, 06:17 PM

No worries about sharks at Smyrna or Daytona.

Most of the good surfing is around that area.

There are sharks all over the damn place Partial...you just never see them. I saw photos from an aerial survey of some of Florida's most popular beaches and there were sharks swimming around people within 10 meters of the shore and they had no idea the sharks were even there. The sharks were fishing thats all.

Freak Out
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Hawaii or Cali.....of course Yakutat has it's share of great waves.

http://www.icywaves.com/

The Gulf of Alaska baby! Bring a dry suit. :tup:

MJZiggy
08-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Ok, he may need to swim a bit but I was gonna let him figure that one out on his own.. :mrgreen:

GBRulz
08-24-2007, 08:30 AM
toilets have bigger waves than what you'll find at most FL beaches. Although one of the best places was Ponce Inlet. You do have to be cautious for sharks in that area though. Then again, there is no such thing as safe place, but this place was always known for sharks.

Daytona has gone downhill over the years. I grew up going there every weekend as that is where my parents kept their boat. We'd always go out deep sea fishing or just take a ride. I've always liked New Symrna though, too.

Zool
08-24-2007, 08:36 AM
toilets have bigger waves than what you'll find at most FL beaches. Although one of the best places was Ponce Inlet. You do have to be cautious for sharks in that area though. Then again, there is no such thing as safe place, but this place was always known for sharks.

Daytona has gone downhill over the years. I grew up going there every weekend as that is where my parents kept their boat. We'd always go out deep sea fishing or just take a ride. I've always liked New Symrna though, too.

Seconded. New Symrna is a great beach and the last time I was there, you could still drive right on.

Partial
08-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Seconded. New Symrna is a great beach and the last time I was there, you could still drive right on.

Have either of you had a shark encounter here? I don't want to only have one foot because a bull or tiger gets all pissed off that i'm surfing (falling is more like it) all up in its domain.

GBRulz
08-24-2007, 09:03 AM
No, I have never seen a shark at any FL beach. Sharks were the least of my worries, it was the jellyfish, the man-o-war and the undertow currents that I paid special attention to.

It's an ocean, you have to respect it, yet enjoy it at the same time.

Partial
08-24-2007, 09:31 AM
What is a man-o-war?

I am beginning to think I am not man enough to handle the ocean!!

MJZiggy
08-24-2007, 09:33 AM
When is sting ray season? Always shuffle...

GBRulz
08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
What is a man-o-war?

It looks a floating plastic bag!

http://www.key-biscayne.com/beach_park/facts/manowar.shtml

Come on now, put your man face on! 8-) The ocean is absolutely awesome and someday soon, I hope to move back near one. Lake Michigan (aka the Milwaukee Sewer) and Superior just aren't cutting it for me :wink:

GBRulz
08-24-2007, 11:29 AM
When is sting ray season? Always shuffle...

That doesn't work. At least for my Mom as she got stung by one and was shuffling her feet through the sand like they say. Usually stingrays are most common during the rainy season, so mostly summer.

Freak Out
08-24-2007, 12:29 PM
I was in Hawaii once when a freaking horde of Portuguese Man-O's floated in....stay the hell away. I've had a few run ins with jellyfish before, even in Alaska, but those big ugly long nasty things freaked me out!

Zool
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Saw a kid with a Man O War wrapped around his leg once. They arent very nice.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Saw a kid with a Man O War wrapped around his leg once. They arent very nice.

That wasn't a man-0-war...that was my willy. Kinda confusing, i know. :twisted:

Charles Woodson
08-24-2007, 03:57 PM
What is a m[img]an-o-war?[img]

Its okay partial, some people just cant handle it...
lol, ive been to new Smyrna beach many times, never been stung, eaten or bitten.

and this is a man o war

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/midorcas/animalphysiology/websites/2006/brhenschen/Southeastern%20Regional%20Taxonomic%20Center%20-%20South%20Carolina%20Department%20of%20Natural%20 Resources.jpg

BallHawk
08-24-2007, 04:02 PM
What is a man-o-war?

http://www.neseabirds.com/graphics/smjellyfish.JPG

If you get stung by one of these two things can happen.

You die

OR

You are in the most excruciating pain of your life.

Bull sharks are probably your main concern though, because they swim in shallow water. New Smyrna beach does have the most recorded shark attacks in the world. The safest beaches in Florida are in the SW area, where I live. In Naples there has never been a reported shark attack. They just don't venture into our waters.

Partial
08-24-2007, 04:03 PM
What is a m[img]an-o-war?[img]

Its okay partial, some people just cant handle it...
lol, ive been to new Smyrna beach many times, never been stung, eaten or bitten.

and this is a man o war

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/midorcas/animalphysiology/websites/2006/brhenschen/Southeastern%20Regional%20Taxonomic%20Center%20-%20South%20Carolina%20Department%20of%20Natural%20 Resources.jpg

WTF is that?!?!

Partial
08-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Jesus Christ, those Man O Wars are ugly!

I am not too concerned about the shark attacks. I mean there are like 1000 people there a day and rarely are attacks. As long as you keep a buddy near by you probably won't have any serious damage if you get bit anyway.

Partial
08-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Should I get some of those water shoes before going into the ocean or is going barefoot the way to go?

I don't know if there are a bunch of pointy rocks and whatnot.

BallHawk
08-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Jesus Christ, those Man O Wars are ugly!

I am not too concerned about the shark attacks. I mean there are like 1000 people there a day and rarely are attacks. As long as you keep a buddy near by you probably won't have any serious damage if you get bit anyway.

Just don't make yourself look like a target. Don't splash around, don't doggy paddle, don't just lie there on a surfboard. Bull Sharks at New Smyrna don't usually kill people, they're curious young sharks. They bite and then let go. They can still leave a nice scar. If you are bit by an adult bull, you most probably will bleed to death. They can take a pretty big chunk out of you.

Just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.

BallHawk
08-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Should I get some of those water shoes before going into the ocean or is going barefoot the way to go?

They only people I know that wear water shoes are young kids and senior citizens. :lol:

There are some rocks here and there, but you're not going to lose your toenails over them. You may have to walk over some shells and rocks to get into and out of the water, but you take it like a man. :D

Partial
08-24-2007, 10:14 PM

They only people I know that wear water shoes are young kids and senior citizens. :lol:

There are some rocks here and there, but you're not going to lose your toenails over them. You may have to walk over some shells and rocks to get into and out of the water, but you take it like a man. :D

Right thats what I normally do. However, at the Ichechtuknee river or whatever we were pretty much the only ones without them.

Iron Mike
08-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Come on now, put your man face on! 8-) The ocean is absolutely awesome and someday soon, I hope to move back near one.

Hah! When I was stationed in Monterey--this was the wildest thing in the ocean:

Otter Cam (http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/efc_otter/otter_cam.asp)

Partial
08-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Freakin' awesome trip.

We went body boarding and attempted surfing at New Smyrna during the day. There were decent sized waves.

Then, around 3 we went to Daytona Beach where their were HUGE freaking waves so much so the lifeguards were pulling people back. Body boarding was ridiculously fun here!!

Partial
08-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Is downtown disney and pleasure island free? Also, where is a good place to get discounted disney tickets? I want to be able to get into the water parks if possible.

We're going to Cocoa Beach on Sunday and Disney on Saturday.

BallHawk
08-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Is downtown disney and pleasure island free? Also, where is a good place to get discounted disney tickets? I want to be able to get into the water parks if possible.

We're going to Cocoa Beach on Sunday and Disney on Saturday.

There is a discount Disney ticket booth on every block of Orlando. It's not going to be a problem finding tickets.

Downtown Disney is free, except for some areas. I don't think you'd be interested in those areas, though. Pleasure Island costs about a little over $20 per person to get in, but that gets you admission to all the clubs.

In regards to the water parks, if you really want to go to a Disney water park, you'll be able to find tickets no problem. They even include them in some admission tickets to Disney World itself.

However, if you just want a good water park, Wet N' Wild is worth checking out. It gets a lot less traffic then Disney, but the rides are just as good, maybe better. That costs about $30 per person.

GBRulz
08-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Awww, I'm jealous. My fav little seafood place is in Cocoa Beach. It's called Rusty's Raw Bar. Not much to look at, but awesome seafood. Check out Coconuts On the Beach, too. Oh yeah and all tourists must go to Ron Jon's!

BH, I'm just curious as to how much Disney charges for a day pass these days? They've gotta be pushing $70 now, eh? Last time I was there, it was $61 and that was a few years back. Plus they have all these options now, makes it kinda confusing!

Partial
08-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Typhoon Lagoon has those monsterous waves, though. I digg that.

I'll have to play it by ear on the tickets and see what happens when I get down there.

Are drinks reasonably priced at Pleasure Island?

GBRulz
08-30-2007, 01:12 PM

LOL - no. Well, they are about the same as drinks at Lambeau :wink:

What I found really annoying about PI is that they only let you buy one drink at a time. They are really strict about carding, too because not everyone there is 21.

Partial
08-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Guess we'll have to make some margaritas before we go out that night then. Oh well, it should be a great time!!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Typhoon Lagoon has those monsterous waves, though. I digg that.

I'll have to play it by ear on the tickets and see what happens when I get down there.

I advise going to CityWalk (universal). Much better action, and a bit closer to Orlando.

If you are going to a park, the best is Islands of Advanture or Universal. Don't bother with Disney. Lagoon is ok.