PDA

View Full Version : Spitz at Center

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 07:30 PM
While trying to hunt down a better picture of this poor kid, I ran across this.

Jason Spitz, OL, Green Bay Packers

News | Statistics | Utilization | Depth Chart | Add to Watchlist

Packers | Team wants to use Spitz at center; he may have a shot to start
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 06:41:45 -0700

Lori Nickel, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers plan to start off using third-round draft pick OL Jason Spitz at center. Spitz was a starter at guard for three and a half years in college, but was drafted by the Packers with the idea of playing center at least at first. His only experience at center is in spring ball and training camp practice in college, but an injury to another player forced him to play at left guard in 2005, according to Packers offensive line coach Joe Philbin. "I was not too aware of (the lineman turnover) but that's good news for me I guess," Spitz said. "Really, all I could hope for this weekend was to get a chance and the Packers are giving me a chance." Philbin said that Scott Wells was the starting center to beat at the moment, which for now means Spitz is fighting for a backup role if at center. At guard, there in more uncertainty, but Philbin would not rule out Spitz as a potential starter, either.

Scott Campbell
05-01-2006, 08:46 PM
I think the play of our O-line is the single biggest key to the Packers season. There are more questions there than anywhere else on the team.

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 08:53 PM
I agree SC....The RB's are a close second.....

Colledge is a very smart football player so I have a feeling he'll do just fine. We need one other position filled at OG. I think we can get one good one between Coston, Whittaker, Klemm, Barry, White, Spitz and the entire FA class after june 1st.

Lets put it this way.....Even if Whittaker is the starting gaurd he will be better than last year. I think very highly of Colledge. I think they'll be OK.

Scott Campbell
05-01-2006, 09:01 PM
I agree SC....The RB's are a close second.....

Colledge is a very smart football player so I have a feeling he'll do just fine. We need one other position filled at OG. I think we can get one good one between Coston, Whittaker, Klemm, Barry, White, Spitz and the entire FA class after june 1st.

Lets put it this way.....Even if Whittaker is the starting gaurd he will be better than last year. I think very highly of Colledge. I think they'll be OK.

Nick,

I like our draft alot. But asking any rookie offensive lineman to even just be adequate is asking a lot. I'll be happy if he doesn't get Brett killed, and hope he'll find his way to the Probowl in 3 or 4 years.

Partial
05-01-2006, 09:03 PM
OL and DL will be the determining factors in how far the pack go this year.

If their line is good, they can throw any back in their and get mondo yards.

If the DL can stop the run and get to the passer on 3rd down, they'll be set.

Guiness
05-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Nick,

I like our draft alot. But asking any rookie offensive lineman to even just be adequate is asking a lot. I'll be happy if he doesn't get Brett killed, and hope he'll find his way to the Probowl in 3 or 4 years.

Fully agree. I really like what we got in the draft as well, but rookie offensive linemen don't just step on the field seemlessly. As has been pointed out before, everyone waxes poetic about Wahle and Riviera now, but they had their rocky starts too.

I get worried when it is suggested Colledge or Spitz might be called on to play a big role. I think we're more likely to get good performances from Coston and Wells. Maybe White.

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 10:20 PM
They're only suggesting that they compete for starting roles, not that they will dump them in starting positions and expect them to perform.

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
I think Colledge can play right away. He is not Will Whittaker.

Iron Mike
05-01-2006, 11:31 PM
While trying to hunt down a better picture of this poor kid

What could be better than THIS:

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/apr06/spitz0429.jpg

BF4MVP
05-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Found a better one

http://cardinalempire.com/Empire/images/stories/SrSpitz.jpg

Tarlam!
05-02-2006, 02:34 AM

Everyone dumps on Whittaker, but he was a 7th rounder that should never have been asked to start. That scheme was a killer to learn, too. As was pointed out, NO ONE ever came in with that scheme seemlessly and our two long gone heros struggled as much as Whit did htheir rookie years.

I think, though, Whit is simply the wrong build for the zone, from what I've been reading. He may need to reduce some weight to get more mobility. At any rate, the game should slow down for him his 2nd year, so I have not got him on my cut list just yet.

RashanGary
05-02-2006, 02:39 AM
It was pretty impressive that Whit could acctually win a starting job on an NFL team. I think he was over his head though.

I don't think Colledge is going to look so out of place.

Fritz
05-02-2006, 06:35 AM
While trying to hunt down a better picture of this poor kid

What could be better than THIS:

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/apr06/spitz0429.jpg

Geez, as soon as Favre sees this pic, he's gonna retire. Holy smokes. I had a dog who looked smarter than this guy.

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 07:45 AM
That's why I was trying to find a better picture of his face. I like that pic, BF, but you can't really see what his face looks like in it.

Partial
05-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Will Whiticker was the worst starting guard in the NFL last year. There were plenty of backups that were more capable then either of our starting guards.

With that said, the linebacking core is now solid. The DTs are ok. This team is going to go as far as the DE and interior line take them.

Lucky for us, the zone blocking scheme is very friendly to interior linemen provided they are quick. Ours are quick. That means the fate of our team pretty much relies on our DE's and if they can hold up against the run and get to the passer.

Can they do that? My guess is no. I hope KP, KGB, and MM prove me wrong, though.

KYPack
05-02-2006, 07:49 AM

Everyone dumps on Whittaker, but he was a 7th rounder that should never have been asked to start. That scheme was a killer to learn, too. As was pointed out, NO ONE ever came in with that scheme seemlessly and our two long gone heros struggled as much as Whit did htheir rookie years.

I think, though, Whit is simply the wrong build for the zone, from what I've been reading. He may need to reduce some weight to get more mobility. At any rate, the game should slow down for him his 2nd year, so I have not got him on my cut list just yet.

Good points.

One of Whit's huge weaknesses was his strength. He was still too light (at 335!) to handle bull rushes. Orpheous Roye blew Whit off the field in the Browns game.

Will couldn't handle our old scheme. Is he Zone material? I doubt it.

All that said, Whitticker is a good prospect. He's got good feet and is coordinated for a big man. He was lost in our old system, maybe he can learn the zone. He can handle the footwork, he still needs to work on his pass blocking and overall strength.

Partial
05-02-2006, 07:53 AM
If will drops 30 pounds he could be a dominating player.

Deputy Nutz
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Whitticker was a seventh round pick, and guess what? He played like one.

He should have never been asked to start, it was the beginning of the end of Larry Breightol and his ridiculous schemes. Kevin Barry will actually get a fair shot at being a starter this year. No Excuses for him if isn't a starter in 06.