PDA

View Full Version : HONDO HENDERSON interaction

Bretsky
08-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Wanted to tell a short story on a class act.

A couple months back my brother sat right next to William Henderson on an airplane. They carried on a good conversation for a good half hour.

A lot of small chatter, and he wasn't nosy, but here are some tidbits

First off, Henderson had no ill will toward anything associated with Green Bay. Had nothing but good things to say about the Packers, Sherman, Thompson, and his former coaches.

He wasn't at all surprised that he was released and viewed his release as a business decision. He's appreciative to Ron Wolf and everybody he's worked with for giving him an opportunity to play as a Packer.

He was hoping to catch on with a team; but understood at his age it might not happen. Ideal world would be a latch onto a winner and aid in a playoff run. Felt it could occur after an injury or sometime during the pre-season, but he was also content with his playing days if it's time to call it a career.

Brother is a business professional; he came away very impressed with the class Henderson showed and the level of intelligence Henderson displayed.

He always liked Hendo; but after speaking with him he liked him even more

MadtownPacker
08-20-2007, 07:42 PM
That guy has done it all from an NFL standpoint. Superbowl champ, probowler, highly respected by the entire NFL, and considered a great guy to boot. At least 90% of the current NFLers will be lucky to have had a career like his.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Indeed. And he was great at the draft a couple of years ago (was that last year?) when he put everybody in their place.
:D

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Indeed. And he was great at the draft a couple of years ago (was that last year?) when he put everybody in their place.
:D

Sadly, he's too washed up to help this year, but it gives some great memories and some false hope, don't it? :oops:

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Sadly, he's too washed up to help this year, but it gives some great memories and some false hope, don't it? :oops:

What?

PackerBlues
08-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Washed up my ass! Henderson was a fitness freak from day one. Not only did he stay in shape in the gym, but the guy watched every calorie and carb that he put in his body. The last I saw of him, he was leaping defenders like a guy half his age.
I think its more plausible to say that he was another victim of Thompsons desire to have a younger team. Which as I have to admit, is not a bad thing, but I would not describe Henderson as having been "washed up" in the least.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2007, 09:44 PM
The last I saw of him, he was leaping defenders like a guy half his age.

He looked slow and clumsy, played a season too long.

FritzDontBlitz
08-20-2007, 09:46 PM
if any more running backs get hurt we might the ones calling hendo.....

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Washed up my ass! Henderson was a fitness freak from day one. Not only did he stay in shape in the gym, but the guy watched every calorie and carb that he put in his body. The last I saw of him, he was leaping defenders like a guy half his age.
I think its more plausible to say that he was another victim of Thompsons desire to have a younger team. Which as I have to admit, is not a bad thing, but I would not describe Henderson as having been "washed up" in the least.

Take of the goggles friend. He wasn't looking so hot early last season. He played too long.

Harvey, I was referring to the fond memories, and thinking that it'd be nice if he could put it together for one more run, but alas, he'd be another Hardy Nickerson, and we don't need that, even at fullback.

oregonpackfan
08-20-2007, 09:52 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again: William Henderson is a class act both on and off the field.

I have listened to him on television sports shows. He is intelligent, insightful, and eloquent.

Look for him to be a TV football analyst sometime in the next couple of years.

Rastak
08-20-2007, 09:53 PM
As a Viking fan I always liked Henderson. Great guy, great player.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Harvey, I was referring to the fond memories, and thinking that it'd be nice if he could put it together for one more run, but alas, he'd be another Hardy Nickerson, and we don't need that, even at fullback.

Got it. Yeah, it would be nice if he could play forever. One of the all-time great guys for the Pack. Next stop: Packers Hall of Fame.

PackerBlues
08-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Take of the goggles friend.

That advice would have been much more appreciated if you had given it to me sometime around bar time or after on Saturday night, early sunday morning. :oops:

packinpatland
08-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Nice to hear. Thanks for sharing.
Henderson is a one of a kind, kind of guy. Wish he could teach a rookie class...........called 'Class 101'.