PDA

View Full Version : Bigby, Bush move up

packers11
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Bigby, Bush move up
Atari Bigby and Jarrett Bush have been promoted.

In the first team period tonight, Bigby, not Marquand Manuel, was at safety, and Bush, not Patrick Dendy, was the third cornerback in the nickel defense.

Bush and Bigby both stood out in Saturday's preseason win against Seattle. Bigby had two sacks and Bush had two interceptions.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com
posted by PackersNews.com at 7:05 PM | 0 Comments

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2007, 07:31 PM
http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

The depth chart was updated today, and they still officially list Manuel as the starter. Bush is the nickle corner. Blackmon the first team punt and kick returner.

And what have we here? My man Justin Harrell is still holding his post as the starting defensive tackle. Good job Justin!! :wink:

falco
08-20-2007, 07:32 PM

The depth chart was updated today, and they still officially list Manuel as the starter. Bush is the nickle corner. Blackmon the first team punt and kick returner.

And what have we here? My man Justin Harrell is still holding his post as the starting defensive tackle. Good job Justin!! :wink:

I guess some just make it look easy!

Joemailman
08-20-2007, 07:38 PM

The fact that the Packers didn't even start one of their starting defensive tackles Saturday Night makes the defensive effort all the more impressive.

LL2
08-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Biggy was flying all over the field during the game and not afraid to use his body in being agressive. I thought his effort was impressive.

Rastak
08-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Biggy was flying all over the field during the game and not afraid to use his body in being agressive. I thought his effort was impressive.

I thought everyone was extremely down on him after the Steelers game?

Just shows how things can turn around in the preseason.

Deputy Nutz
08-20-2007, 08:47 PM

I am still down on him, he hasn't shown me anything in coverage, and the way the defensive line has played I would expect several of the safeties to be able to rush the passer. Show me good cover 2 and an ability to catch a running back out of the backfield.

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 08:53 PM
I agree Nutz, our only hope is that Manuel was slowed by not being able to train last off season and that he will improve with experience in the system. Bigby playing scares the hell out of me.

Brandon494
08-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I hear that Bigby has the best range after Collins of all the safties on the roster. I also think he is the best coverage SS we have on the team right now. I think he clearly beats out Manuel and Rouse in cover skills. Even though I would love to see Rouse starting.

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:07 PM

The German Kool-aid delivery was late. Didn't show up until the Tuesday AFTER the Pittsburg game. Goggles are in full swing now. No one even noticed that the starting Tackles were MIA and Hasslebeck was on the bench.

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I agree Nutz, our only hope is that Manuel was slowed by not being able to train last off season and that he will improve with experience in the system. Bigby playing scares the hell out of me.

Bigby is raw, but he doesn't scare me half as much as the OL, or our TE's. Yeah he can get burned, but hell, so could (and did) Manuel, so really, what's the difference?

vince
08-20-2007, 10:19 PM
The German Kool-aid delivery was late. Didn't show up until the Tuesday AFTER the Pittsburg game. Goggles are in full swing now. No one even noticed that the starting Tackles were MIA and Hasslebeck was on the bench.
RG, your self-righteous sarcasm and simplistic insults of those posters who enjoyed the fine pre-season performance of their team last week reaks of someone who fears that their constant offseason negativism might prove unfounded, thereby bruising their fragile ego.

Yes, everyone noticed that Seattle's starting tackles and qb sat out of the game last week. Did YOU notice who WAS starting though...?

Tom Ashworth, Seattle's backup OT, was the one who who gave up the sack to Jenkins. He was the starting LT for New England until he left in FA in '06. Ashworth started all three postseason games in 2003 as part of an offensive line that did not allow a sack in the playoffs as Tom Brady attempted 126 passes and the Patriots claimed victory in Super Bowl XXXVIII. Ashworth has started 22 regular-season and playoff games in his professional career, all as a member of the Patriots. New England is 21-1 in those games, including the postseason. He's no slouch, as you are so eager to imply he is.

Yes, it's a preseason game. We all know it doesn't count. It's August. That's the only kind of game they play right now. When the Packers dominate like they did, people have fun with it. It's a bummer that you've set yourself up so that you can't share in that fun - on these boards at least - without being a complete and total hypocrite.

The only way you seem to be able to have fun is by attempting to build yourself up by tearing others down as you so consistently attempt to do here. It's not very persuasive.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Ashworth has started 22 regular-season and playoff games in his professional career, all as a member of the Patriots. New England is 21-1 in those games, including the postseason. He's no slouch, as you are so eager to imply he is.

Point taken. NFL.com actually has him down for 30 regular season starts for New England, 6 starts for Seattle last year, and I know he's started at least 5 playoff games for New England.

Rastak
08-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Ashworth has started 22 regular-season and playoff games in his professional career, all as a member of the Patriots. New England is 21-1 in those games, including the postseason. He's no slouch, as you are so eager to imply he is.

Point taken. NFL.com actually has him down for 30 regular season starts for New England, 6 starts for Seattle last year, and I know he's started at least 5 playoff games for New England.

How did he end up in Seattle? I'm not familiar with him at all...just what I read this weekend....funny how offensive lineman fly under the radar to the average fan. He sounds like he should be starting somewhere.....

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Unrestricted Free Agent. He's a guy that can start at both OT spots, and can play OG in a pinch. I think they got him as a guy that could backup at many different positions. Also, I believe Walter Jones was holding out last year, so he was good insurance.

The amount he got as a backup player should tell you he's more than just a regular backup:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-03-24-notebook_x.htm

Seahawks sign OL Ashworth

SEATTLE — Former New England Patriots tackle Tom Ashworth has agreed to a $13 million, five-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

Agent Tom Mills said Friday that Ashworth's deal includes a signing bonus and base salary totaling $4.5 million for 2006.

The Seahawks have yet to announce the agreement, pending Ashworth signing the contract and the league approving it.

The NFC champions were in need of a new offensive lineman after Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson signed with Minnesota on Monday.

The 6-foot-6, 305-pound Ashworth has started 30 games for the Patriots over the past three regular seasons. He has mostly been at right tackle since San Francisco signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2001, including in the Super Bowl three seasons ago.

But Mills said the Seahawks have left it "open to discussion" about Ashworth replacing Hutchinson at left guard. Seattle first contacted Ashworth after Hutchinson signed the Vikings' offer sheet March 12.

Mills said the Seahawks have told Ashworth they also might move right tackle Sean Locklear, a first-time starter last season, to left guard.

"They think he's one of their five best linemen," Mills said. "On the field, we're not sure where that's going to be."

Hutchinson's departure and Ashworth's arrival mark the end of the Seahawks' continuity on the offensive line — which was a large reason for league MVP Shaun Alexander rushing for a league-best 1,880 yards last season.

Again, when Green Bay was going with two rookie OGs and no depth at OT last year, I thought he might be a good pickup.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2007, 11:35 PM

Bigby is raw, but he doesn't scare me half as much as the OL, or our TE's. Yeah he can get burned, but hell, so could (and did) Manuel, so really, what's the difference?

Why does the OL scare you more than safety? I'm starting to believe that they may actually be the strength of the offense this season. Two good tackles, two improving guards, and a decent center. Doesn't scare me that much. TE is bad though.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Comments by Harris and Woodson, if true, are interesting. Manuel could be gone.

Bigby displaces Manuel as starter alongside Collins
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers didn't just hand Marquand Manuel's position to Atari Bigby. But clearly the strong safety job now is Bigby's to lose.

Second-year man Atari Bigby used a big exhibition game against Seattle to vault into the starting lineup at strong safety.

In a dramatic move Monday to shore up his weakest position on defense, coach Mike McCarthy announced that Bigby would start Thursday night against Jacksonville at Lambeau Field. As long as Bigby doesn't fall apart, it's almost a foregone conclusion that the Packers will enter the regular season with him opposite free safety Nick Collins.

"He's an ascending young player; I think we all agree with that," McCarthy said. "He has impact-play ability, which he showed against Seattle. It's something to get excited about."

Cornerback Jarrett Bush also was moved ahead of Patrick Dendy as the nickel back in the 4-2-5 defense. Dendy has held that job since Week 5 last season but Bush is a faster and seemingly more dynamic player.

Meanwhile, the Packers informed safety Marviel Underwood late Monday that he would be released today. A fourth-round draft choice in 2005, Underwood wasn't all the way back from reconstructive knee surgery last August.

McCarthy attempted to couch the significance of Bigby's insertion, saying the position hadn't been settled. But Bigby took every snap alongside Collins with the No. 1 defense Monday night, a far different situation from last week when he took only a few with the starters.

Manuel, who signed a five-year, $10 million deal in March 2006 to leave Seattle as an unrestricted free agent, worked with rookie Aaron Rouse on the No. 2 defense. The No. 3 pairing was Tyrone Culver and Charlie Peprah.

The Packers are expected to keep four safeties. Rouse, a third-round pick, is expected to be one of the backups, and Manuel easily could lose his roster spot to either Culver or Peprah.

Bigby, 5 feet 10½ inches and 211 pounds, came out of Central Florida as a free agent in 2005. After being cut by the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets, he joined the Packers in November of that year. In two seasons, he has played six snaps from scrimmage and 94 snaps on special teams.

"I think he clearly has the physical skills," McCarthy said. "I've never questioned that. We now want to see if he can do it from the beginning of the game."

A source close to the situation said cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson had been lobbying the coaches for Bigby to replace Manuel, a player whom they apparently no longer trusted.

In the nickel defense, Bush replaced Dendy at left cornerback. Woodson plays the slot and Harris remains on the right side.

The dependable Dendy, however, probably isn't out of the picture. Will Blackmon also has a chance for the job.

"For as good as (Bush) played on defense I thought he played better on special teams," McCarthy said. "He's a very physical football player. He's only going to get better."

Bush, claimed on waivers Sept. 3 from Carolina, played 15 snaps from scrimmage and 276 on special teams in '06.

The release of Underwood wasn't a surprise. He played poorly in Pittsburgh and then missed another open-field tackle against Seattle.

"I don't think he's all the way back to where he was last year," McCarthy said. "A great individual."

Underwood, who had a four-year, $1.815 million deal, will count $107,500 in "dead" money against the salary cap next year.

esoxx
08-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Very interesting. Although I don't think Harris and Woodson really ever trusted Manuel. Seemed like a lot of finger pointing out there. Chemistry in the secondary is a big thing and I don't see that getting any better with Manuel out there. Besides being a below average athlete, he seemed like an excuse maker too.

Deputy Nutz
08-20-2007, 11:52 PM
It is really to bad about Underwood. He was starting to demonstrate a feel for the NFL last pre-season, and then he blows out his knee in the first pre-season game. Unfortunate circumstances for a hard hitting safety.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Wow, Harris and Woodson don't trust him, now thats very powerful statements by them. I can't imagine him starting now when both your starting corners don't trust the guy who has your back.

Well we know Bigby can blitz, but can he cover :?:

FritzDontBlitz
08-21-2007, 01:43 AM
yeah that comment about harris and woodson does say a lot, but if those three are on the same page can he do any worse than manuel did?

MadtownPacker
08-21-2007, 01:56 AM
Nope but we know for sure that manuel can't so it's time for him to go.

I like the last part where it says Culver could knock off manuel.

Packnut
08-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Wow, Harris and Woodson don't trust him, now thats very powerful statements by them. I can't imagine him starting now when both your starting corners don't trust the guy who has your back.

It should'nt be any surprise that Woodson and Harris have no use for Manuel as it was written about during the middle of last season when coverages kept getting blown. Manuel sucks and all those who bestowed his virtues and made excuse for him should slap themselves in the back of the head for being stupid.

Manuel is a fraud just like Fergie and need's to be shown the door. Kudo's to MM for realizing it albeit a tad late.

Fritz
08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
I hope TT will move quickly and dump Manuel. It just didn't work. Cut your mistake.

I feel bad for Underwood. Tough luck for him.

Glad to see that Bush is stepping up. I keep wanting to call him "Jeb" Bush, though. Good pickup by TT.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 08:37 AM
If Bigby gets the starting job, Manuel should be cut. You don't want a young player like Bigby looking over his shoulder afraid he'll be replaced by the veteran if he has a bad game. There is also the possibility that Manuel would become a malcontent if he's forced to the bench. While it's true that cutting Manuel would make the Packers incredibly young and inexperienced at safety, I don't think Manuel ever established himself as a leader so I don't think his experience is much of an asset anyway.

The thought of Nick Collins and Bigby as our starting safeties is exciting and a little scary at the same time.

Packnut
08-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I hope TT will move quickly and dump Manuel. It just didn't work. Cut your mistake.

Glad to see that Bush is stepping up. I keep wanting to call him "Jeb" Bush, though. Good pickup by TT.

Ok let's just call him Jeb! :lol:

BooHoo
08-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Go Bigby. We can keep our fingers crossed and maybe he will pan out to be a pro-bowler! Okay, just dreaming some but eventually we have to hit pay dirt with some of our picks. By pay dirt I mean pro-bowlers. I know we drafted some good players but I am talking about a "take the game over type of player." :)

wist43
08-21-2007, 05:24 PM

I am still down on him, he hasn't shown me anything in coverage, and the way the defensive line has played I would expect several of the safeties to be able to rush the passer. Show me good cover 2 and an ability to catch a running back out of the backfield.

I wasn't too concerned about Bigby coming out of the Steeler game - despite his misques, I liked what I saw. My biggest concern with him was/is coverage and his ability to break down and wrap up in the open field.

I've watched some of the game over a second time and paid attn to Bigby - apart from the highlight reel plays. As you know, evaluating safties off of TV is very tough due to the camera angles; but, I was able to see Bigby in coverage on a couple of plays where the ball went elsewhere... he seemed to be in good position most of the time, and he did have a very good open field tackle where the receiver made the catch, turned, and was immediately planted to the ground by Bigby with a perfect wrap up tackle.

The highlight reel plays were great, but I was most heartened by the open field tackle. Very encouraging.

As for the highlight reel plays, his 2nd sack where he came over the blocker was outstanding... an explosive display of athleticism and play making ability.

The player he reminds me most of at this point is Troy Polamalu. I know that's lofty praise, but from a purely athletic standpoint - strength, speed, toughness... this guy has those things.

I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm... it's early, very early; and, there's every chance that he'll prove that he can't handle the demands of the position in space, or that he doesn't have good ball skills, or that he really doesn't break down and tackle well, etc, etc, etc...

There could be any number of reasons why he might not make it; but, I've seen enough to say that the SS job is his to lose, and I see potential there for him to be a damn good player.

the_idle_threat
08-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Ok let's just call him Jeb! :lol:

A nickname is born.

BobDobbs
08-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't know that I would be so quick to cut Manuel. It isn't like his salary is breaking the bank. I think he is a backup safety and that is exactly what he would be playing for us. Obviously we would keep Collins, Bigby, and Rouse. But those other guys are going to have to outplay Manuel to make the cut.
The only way I see him cut is if Peprah or Culver is a key special teams contributor, or if he becomes poisonous in the locker room because of his demotion.

Carolina_Packer
08-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't know that I would be so quick to cut Manuel. It isn't like his salary is breaking the bank. I think he is a backup safety and that is exactly what he would be playing for us. Obviously we would keep Collins, Bigby, and Rouse. But those other guys are going to have to outplay Manuel to make the cut.
The only way I see him cut is if Peprah or Culver is a key special teams contributor, or if he becomes poisonous in the locker room because of his demotion.

I am NOT challenging what you are saying, just wondering out loud for someone who knows. Isn't there an "unwritten rule" where if you are making more money than the other players at your position and you get demoted during training camp that you probably won't stay with the team? Now, of course if Manuel got hurt, Bigby would be in there for sure. However, assuming good health for all, will the Packers keep a more expensive option when he's only playing part-time, and the other backup players can also help on special teams?

I can't really think of a case where a team keeps a player around in a reserve role who is making more money than the starter at a position. Can you?

Rastak
08-21-2007, 07:13 PM

I am NOT challenging what you are saying, just wondering out loud for someone who knows. Isn't there an "unwritten rule" where if you are making more money than the other players at your position and you get demoted during training camp that you probably won't stay with the team? Now, of course if Manuel got hurt, Bigby would be in there for sure. However, assuming good health for all, will the Packers keep a more expensive option when he's only playing part-time, and the other backup players can also help on special teams?

I can't really think of a case where a team keeps a player around in a reserve role who is making more money than the starter at a position. Can you?

I don't think that's uncommon. Mike McCarthy isn't setting his depth chart based on salary. Guys aren't real happy to get starters money and get demoted but if he gets beat out they very could keep him as an experienced backup. Guys get hurt.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 07:18 PM

The Packers will likely have that very situation at the Tight End position.

Rastak
08-21-2007, 07:19 PM
You remind of Pater, only in color.....

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Joe Cool in black and white just doesn't work.

retailguy
08-21-2007, 08:08 PM

You ought to get MTP to change the JOE COOL to JOE MAILMAN.

Maybe he could get his cousin from the prestigeous Tiajuana Institute of Technology?

Probably only take him a week or two to redesign it. :wink:

the_idle_threat
08-21-2007, 08:09 PM

You ought to get MTP to change the JOE COOL to JOE MAILMAN.

Maybe he could get his cousin from the prestigeous Tiajuana Institute of Technology?

Probably only take him a week or two to redesign it. :wink:

I thought Skinbasket was PR's unofficial sack-artist.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, this thread is really getting OT, but I have a JoeMailman Snoopy T-Shirt. They don't make them anymore though, and I can't find a picture online.

Bretsky
08-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Soon I will start up the Bush Fan club; think anybody would mind if I use

Bush Bangers or Club Bush as the name ?

TennesseePackerBacker
08-21-2007, 08:40 PM

We could always call him Bush Whacker? seems appropriate

MJZiggy
08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I like it.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 08:48 PM

You can do anything you want if you get rid of that damn sig. :P

Bretsky
08-21-2007, 08:55 PM

You can do anything you want if you get rid of that damn sig. :P

I'm worried that it might be here all year :(

Merlin
08-21-2007, 10:29 PM

Manual is on the team and on the team he will stay. 3T doesn't admit mistakes let alone cut any.

Merlin
08-21-2007, 10:30 PM

He is only listed there because he was drafted #1. He has not outperformed any DT on our roster yet in camp or on the field. Don't go getting all stupid on us.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 10:32 PM

Manual is on the team and on the team he will stay. 3T doesn't admit mistakes let alone cut any.

Tell that to Adrian Klemm or Cory Rodgers.

MJZiggy
08-21-2007, 10:32 PM

Shit!!! Klemm and O'Dwyer are still on the team?????!!!!

esoxx
08-21-2007, 10:38 PM

He is only listed there because he was drafted #1. He has not outperformed any DT on our roster yet in camp or on the field. Don't go getting all stupid on us.

Harlan was obviously being faceitious.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Obvious to some.

Merlin
08-21-2007, 10:46 PM

Shit!!! Klemm and O'Dwyer are still on the team?????!!!!

I don't recall 3T ever admitting a mistake on them. I recall them sucking so bad that they were quietly let go. I believe the quote was something like "I think I should have gone a different direction with the OL". Like he has a clue what it takes to build an offense...

MJZiggy
08-21-2007, 10:50 PM
I didn't realize he had to call a press conference to announce to the world every mistake he makes. Cutting the player is enough of an admission for me, but I posted that because you said he'd never admit his mistake much less CUT any. He's cut the players that didn't perform.

Merlin
08-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Um....Manual anyone? Harrell anyone? Ferguson anyone (don't give me this crap that he cut him either, process of elimination after 2.5 years of shit)? Hodge anyone? Rodgers anyone?

The fact is, he keeps many players that do not perform well. His whole philosophy is just process of elimination like Ferguson. You bring in enough guys and widdle them down over the course of five years while by-passing obvious moves that would make the team competitive NOW and for the foreseeable future.

When he starts cutting players that HE is so high on, let me know. Right now, if Harrell makes this team it's a travesty. Talk about politics. I drafted him #1 so he is #1 on the depth chart. Um, no.

MJZiggy
08-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Harrell? Um yes. You don't cut your first round draft pick after a single preseason. And in case you didn't watch the game this week, Rodgers didn't do too badly. Hodge may not make the roster this season. It's preseason so WE DON'T KNOW YET. And for all you know, Manual may not either. There is nothing saying that he is guaranteed the number one spot or a roster spot for that matter.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Um....Manual anyone? Harrell anyone? Ferguson anyone (don't give me this crap that he cut him either, process of elimination after 2.5 years of shit)? Hodge anyone? Rodgers anyone?

The fact is, he keeps many players that do not perform well. His whole philosophy is just process of elimination like Ferguson. You bring in enough guys and widdle them down over the course of five years while by-passing obvious moves that would make the team competitive NOW and for the foreseeable future.

When he starts cutting players that HE is so high on, let me know. Right now, if Harrell makes this team it's a travesty. Talk about politics. I drafted him #1 so he is #1 on the depth chart. Um, no.

Why would he cut players that he is high on?

Merlin
08-21-2007, 11:14 PM
As I said, there comes a point when everyone at a position is "your guy". Then 3T decides who makes him sport the least amount of wood and then let's him go.

MJZiggy
08-21-2007, 11:15 PM
As I said, there comes a point when everyone at a position is "your guy". Then 3T decides who makes him sport the least amount of wood and then let's him go.

Which in effect would be the worst of the bunch and the correct call...

Merlin
08-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Why would he cut players that he is high on?

At some point, he can only be high on 53 of them. He is running into that now at certain positions.

Merlin
08-21-2007, 11:17 PM

Which in effect would be the worst of the bunch and the correct call...

LOL....Yeah Henderson was the worst wasn't he? I mean really what did the guy ever do for the vet minimum? Oh yeah, show up and play, that's all. What has Miree done? Hrmmmm, get sick, injured, etc. So we keep him but not the guy who shows up. Got it. Tauscher and Clifton will be next.

Merlin
08-21-2007, 11:21 PM
I ain't arguing about 3T's ineptness anymore. For every "kudos" you have for him, there is contradictory evidence abound. I agree to disagree and that's that.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Soon I will start up the Bush Fan club;

:shock: I think this belongs in the Grailism thread

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Soon I will start up the Bush Fan club;

:shock: I think this belongs in the Grailism thread

Oh, I thought it was going to be a political thread. :oops:

Partial
08-21-2007, 11:43 PM

Why would he cut the back-up quarterback (and QB of the future) and a player who has been a Packer all of four months and hasn't had an opportunity to show what to do?

This might be the most ridiculous post ever here.

He clearly didn't draft Harrell to be a stud this year. Otherwise he would have gone a different direction.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2007, 11:58 PM
This might be the most ridiculous post ever here.

QFT