PDA

View Full Version : linebacker backers

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2007, 07:37 PM
The backup linebackers look for shit. What about trying 223 pound safety Rouse?

He's young and tall, he'll be > 230 soon enough. I don't see him helping much at safety.

Deputy Nutz
08-20-2007, 07:43 PM
You got that right Harlan. The back up linebackers are a load of shit.

Hodge is washed up with tendinitis in both knees.

Spencer Havner is less than productive

Bishops ability to take on a block reminds me of 7th grade football.

Maybe a guy like Tracy White could step in and play, but if anyone of the starters get hurt this team's defense is going to turn to poopy

Joemailman
08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Everybody's been worried about TE and RB, but this situation is a time bomb. This may be an area where TT scans the waiver wire. On the other hand, what the hell does a beret-wearing blue dog know about linebacker play?

Deputy Nutz
08-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Ben Taylor wasn't great last year, but he was what this team needed on the bench, some solid veteran that could play a couple of positions and help on special teams.

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:05 PM
The backup linebackers look for shit. What about trying 223 pound safety Rouse?

He's young and tall, he'll be > 230 soon enough. I don't see him helping much at safety.

Don't worry, we'll shore up that spot with one of our 237 picks next spring.

The 3 good guys CANNOT get hurt. Otherwise, we'll have to go get Taco Wallace from the CFL and plug him in there. Ted's familiar with him, so that ought to work.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2007, 09:07 PM
I've been reading some good things on Bishop, he's not doing good?

pittstang5
08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Ben Taylor wasn't great last year, but he was what this team needed on the bench, some solid veteran that could play a couple of positions and help on special teams.

I believe he's still available. I'm surprised he was given a once and done deal. Even if he's brought back as a back up, he's better than what they have right now and he knows the system.

oregonpackfan
08-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Don't forget that Corey Hall played lineback for Boise State and was solid.
As most of you know, the Packers are trying to convert him to fullback.

A solid special teams player, Hall could be a reserve linebacker in an emergency.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2007, 10:12 PM
well, clearly they need Hall at fullback.

I'm not sensing a groundswell of support for moving Rouse to LB.

Joemailman
08-20-2007, 10:21 PM
I believe Rouse started out at LB at VT and got switched to safety. I'm thinking
there was a reason for it.

Brohm
08-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Actually started at safety, then went to LB, then back to safety if I remember right.

I think Havner will be alright (as a back-up), was good in college and can play all 3 positions and does ST. Definately better than Taylor and more potential. Bishop/Hodge who knows. Maybe we keep both or dump both (doubt it though). White maybe as 3rd back-up and is a good ST player.

run pMc
08-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Keep Rouse at S. He'll have enough to learn there with the playbook and all the coverages and looks that an opposing O would show him.
If he totally stinks on ice there, then I'd try him at LB...but that would probably be an offseason move.
I doubt they'd get crazy with their base D (e.g., use 2 LB's w/ 5 D-Lineman or go nickel w/ Rouse as the extra DB).

Keep Hall at FB. He probably doesn't know the D playbook at all.

I was under the impression that Bishop was taking Hodge's job, and Hodge is on the bubble. As for Havner and White, they're ST guys...really, we have Hawk and Barnett, and the rest as just guys. Popp is a stopgap; probably should be the top backup except we don't have anybody better. If the backups know what they are supposed to do (i.e., they get "coached up") we might be OK for a game or two. I do agree a season ending injury to one of the starters (knock on wood to prevent it) could be big trouble for the D.

I wouldn't be surprised if TT does check to see who gets cut. Improving the depth is what he's been doing all along.

Badgepack
08-21-2007, 09:35 AM
We can pick up Trotter, he just was cut by the Eagles.

Fritz
08-21-2007, 09:37 AM
This is definitely an area of need. Anybody see how well that rook, Rory Johnson (?) is doing?

I see TT getting on this with first the waiver wire and next year the draft. But there are fewer talent gaps on this team than there was two years ago, or even a year ago.

BooHoo
08-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I believe Rouse started out at LB at VT and got switched to safety. I'm thinking
there was a reason for it.

Isn't Rouse a big hitter?

wist43
08-21-2007, 04:53 PM
My first thought was Johnson as well.

I agree that it's looking like Hodges career might be over; Bishop has been fairly steady - if he can get it done on ST's, he'll probably stick; Havner is better than I thought he'd be, but he's probably a long shot; White will probably stick b/c of ST's.

I'm going to try to watch the game again tonight... I'll try to look more closely at the backups.

Brohm
08-21-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm thinking we end up with Havner as a back up to Poppinga (size, speed, ST, versatility); Bishop backing up Barnett; and White (or one of the undrafted rooks) backing Hawk.

Hodge could throw a wrench in the last two games.

wist43
08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm thinking we end up with Havner as a back up to Poppinga (size, speed, ST, versatility); Bishop backing up Barnett; and White (or one of the undrafted rooks) backing Hawk.

Hodge could throw a wrench in the last two games.

Don't think Hodge even has a chance... he can't run. Watch him during these preseason games, both of his legs stay bent most of the time, he can't change direction at all.

I've got tendonitis in both elbows, the pain can be debilitating. He's got petellar tendonitis in both legs. I think he's a very long shot to make the team, and wouldn't be surprised if his career were over.

RashanGary
08-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Bishop looked pretty good against JAX. Maybe we have one good backup LB.

Carolina_Packer
08-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Would anyone be tempted to get Trotter for MLB and move Barnett to Poppinga's spot so that Poppinga can come in for certain situations? I've heard Denver and Tampa Bay so far.

Ballboy
08-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Pack won't go after Trotter, Pack doesn't sign anyone at or over 30 years old.

I heard he was signing with Tampon Bay.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Trotter isn't that good anymore. Could he help a team? Possibly. However, he's Abdul Hodge slow, and would be a horrible fit for this team. There's a reason Philadelphia cut him before the first cutdown date.