PDA

View Full Version : Underwood to be cut

pittstang5
08-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Just saw this on Packernews.com

Monday, August 20, 2007
Safety Underwood to be cut
The Packers plan to release safety Marviel Underwood on Tuesday, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice tonight.

Underwood suffered a season-ending knee injury in training camp last year and never appeared to be back to full speed in training camp.

McCarthy cited the Packers' depth at the position and a desire to give Underwood a chance to land with another team as reasons for the timing of the release.

- Defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila left practice early because of a family situation in Milwaukee, McCarthy said. Gbaja-Biamila also is day-to-day because of a bruised knee.

- Defensive end Michael Montgomery suffered the worst of the four knee injuries sustained by Packers in Saturday's game. He will undergo arthroscopic surgery sometime in the next few days and almost certainly will miss a month or more.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com
posted by PackersNews.com at 8:46 PM | 0 Comments

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Damn...I really had high hopes for him to beat out Manuel.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Underwood will get another try with NfL in 2008, maybe with packers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Not a big suprise. Bigby, Manuel, Collins and Rouse I think make the team.

Rastak
08-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Surprises me, I thought he had alot of potential but I'm sure the staff knows what they have....

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Sad, very sad. Reminds me of Chris Johnson.

BallHawk
08-20-2007, 09:48 PM
It's a shame. I really liked him as a player.

Hopefully he can get back in shape and play in the NFL again.

gbpackfan
08-20-2007, 09:59 PM
The dreaded ACL tear. Some guys can come back, some can't. Underwood will need a year to get back to full speed. Our safety group is looking more and more like:

Collins
Bigby
Manuel
Rouse
if they keep 5, Peprah (maybe?)

Joemailman
08-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Culver has been almost invisible this summer. Releasing Underwood now should give Culver and Peprah more of an opportunity to show something the next 2 games.

Brandon494
08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
The dreaded ACL tear. Some guys can come back, some can't. Underwood will need a year to get back to full speed. Our safety group is looking more and more like:

Collins
Bigby
Manuel
Rouse
if they keep 5, Peprah (maybe?)

I think Culver make its over Peprah.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Culver seems more limited than Peprah. It's probably a pretty close battle. If either show anything, they may make it over Manuel. My guess is Manuel makes the team though.