PDA

View Full Version : Must not get hurt

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2007, 12:25 PM
I think the Packers could reshuffle things and be OK if they get an injury at most positions. But here are the guys that they really have no adequate replacements for:

Driver, Wells, Jackson on offense.

the three linebackers on defense.

MJZiggy
08-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I agree with you about Driver--there's just no replacing the guy, but I have the feeling that if Wells went down, we'd see a lot more of Rob Davis. I gotta think he could snap it short as well as long, and Morency will be back soon and they'd make do with RB by committee until Jackson was healed.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2007, 12:31 PM
have the feeling that if Wells went down, we'd see a lot more of Rob Davis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry Ziggy. Can Davis still walk? Well I guess so, he is getting on the field somehow for extra points.

MJZiggy
08-21-2007, 12:33 PM
I've heard he's still putting on some good blocking on kicks--and his snaps are damned accurate. Just cause you can't walk anymore doesn't mean other old farts can't still move...

Partial
08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I agree with you about Driver--there's just no replacing the guy, but I have the feeling that if Wells went down, we'd see a lot more of Rob Davis. I gotta think he could snap it short as well as long, and Morency will be back soon and they'd make do with RB by committee until Jackson was healed.

Spitz has been practicing at center all summer. The way they have the line set-up they can afford an injury to any one on the right side of the line and Moll can step in. On the left side, they can put the Missouri State guy in at guard and Colledge/Clifton at Tackle, and Spitz or Coston at center. Juice played center all last offseason.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Spitz or Coston at center. Juice played center all last offseason.

I don't know. I just suspect it would be a huge drop-off to those guys and ruin the chemistry of the line. Center is a DAMN hard position. they got to be nimble, quick enough to get out to the linebackers. Not excited about a converted guard.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Spitz would start. Coston if both guys got injured. Davis only if it's an absolute emergency. You never want your starters to get injured. I don't think it would be a killer if Wells or Jackson got hurt. Driver and the top two LBs are the most important among the guys you listed. All three have been durable, so that's encouraging. There aren't any teams though who wouldn't be hurt if certain individuals got injured.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Losing Jackson right now would hurt big time. Morency isn't even practicing yet.

superfan
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Injuries to Harris, Woodson, or Collins would result in a steep dropoff to their respective backups.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Injuries to Harris, Woodson, or Collins would result in a steep dropoff to their respective backups.

with just ONE of those guys gone, I can see the packers filling in with Bush, Blackmon and be OK. Is Collins MUCH better than Bigby & Manuel?

Partial
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Losing Jackson right now would hurt big time. Morency isn't even practicing yet.

Well, its only been about 2.5-3 weeks. He'll be back by the time the season starts. My guess is Jackson is the starter by then, though. That is probably better anyway. Morency is a great chance-of-pace/burst back. He'll come in and shake and bake away for big yards. My guess is he'll do about 65% of the work 30 to 30. BJack is stronger and will take the 30 to endzone role.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2007, 01:01 PM
they are likely gonna need BOTH Morency & Jackson.

superfan
08-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Is Collins MUCH better than Bigby & Manuel?

Yes. At least I think he is.

Downgrading from Harris or Woodson to Blackmon or Bush is bad enough, but it also has a ripple effect to the nickel and dime. Bush has had his moments and I am beginning to have some confidence with him in the nickel, but there is no replacing the experience that Harris and Woodson provide. Can Bush get burned, shrug it off, and not let it bother him for the remainder of the game and subsequent games? I don't know, he looks like a pretty emotional player from the little I've seen.

I haven't seen enough of Blackmon on defense to be confident that he can be an every down starting cornerback if needed.

mraynrand
08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I still think Favre would be the hardest by far to replace. Sure Rodgers looks good in preseason - but so did Hasslebeck. I think there would be a huge drop off while Rodgers tried to become a starting caliber QB. I'm not saying he won't be, I'm just predicting that it will take some serious time for him to be a decent starting QB in regular season games.

Long term losses of Woodson and/or Harris would be pretty difficult to overcome - the Packers have more depth in the secondary, but the depth lacks experience.

mraynrand
10-01-2007, 12:33 PM
has this changed a quarter of the way through the season?

LEWCWA
10-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Sorry Davis is a long snapper and thats it! He isn't even considered as a backup olman.

Zool
10-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Just Jackson, which sucks. He doesn't seem slippery like he did in college.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2007, 12:40 PM
has this changed a quarter of the way through the season?

no, my brilliant observations have lost none of their luster.

except Jackson is not so critical now that Morency & Grant have been added to the pile.

mraynrand
10-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Actually, I was (re)making the obvious point about Favre being most indispensable.

Joemailman
10-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Favre, Barnett, Harris/Woodson would be the hardest to replace right now.

oregonpackfan
10-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I still think Favre would be the hardest by far to replace.

'Nuff said. End of discussion. If Favre goes down, the Packers playoff chances are over.

He is on his way to MVP award, IMO.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Actually, I was (re)making the obvious point about Favre being most indispensable.

you self-agrandizing a-hole. :lol: