PDA

View Full Version : Juice

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Bretsky will love this report.

Training Camp Report: Coston Being Groomed As 'Super-Sub'
by Mike Spofford, Packers.com

While in college at North Carolina A&T, Junius Coston lined up at every position on the offensive line during his four-year career.

He nearly accomplished that in one practice on Tuesday.

At various times during team (11-on-11) periods, Coston took snaps with the No. 1 offensive line at three different spots - right tackle for Mark Tauscher, right guard for Jason Spitz, and left guard for Daryn Colledge. He also took reps as a second tight end in the goal-line package, and at left tackle with the No. 2 line.

The Packers are putting Coston's versatility to good use, grooming him in essence as a "super-sub" should any of the aforementioned spots need a replacement due to injury or otherwise.

"We're trying to get him possibly ready to play different spots during the course of a game," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "We're just moving him around doing the best we can to give him a fighting chance, so all of a sudden we don't just throw him out there at left guard or left tackle."

That's sort of what has happened in the first two preseason games, and despite not necessarily getting to prepare extensively in a given spot, Coston has performed well. The third-year pro was a fifth-round draft choice in 2005. He spent his rookie year as a backup at left guard and left tackle, then became a right-side reserve last season.

It can be taxing, especially on a young player, to have to learn so many positions. But the coaching staff feels Coston is athletic enough and intelligent enough to handle the workload.

"It's definitely not easy, to say the least," Coston said. "It takes a lot of concentration, as far as the playbook and stuff, and a lot of concentration towards your technique. Without technique, you're not going to be good at any position."

Right now, particularly with second-year lineman Tony Moll missing significant practice time due to injury, Coston appears to be the No. 6 lineman. How much he's actually pushing the starters for their jobs isn't clear, but in working as much as he has with the first unit he's certainly doing something right.

"He's playing more physical than he ever has," Philbin said. "He generates arguably as much movement at the point of attack, at least in the films that we've watched, as any of our guys do, any of the five of them. There are some encouraging things he's doing.

"Is he quite as consistent as the other guys? Probably not. But this guy is still 23 years old. He'll be 24 in November. He's certainly had a good camp. We really like his development and we hope he continues to get better."

Aiding Coston's emergence has been good health. Last season he injured his knee in the preseason finale, wound up inactive for eight games, and played only two snaps in one game of the other eight contests.

It's hard to say when, or if, he was ever fully healthy in 2006, but his play indicates he's feeling much better in 2007.

"You're never going to be perfect in this game of football," Coston said. "You just have to learn how to play through some stuff. Overall, I feel pretty good about my health.
"I think the healthier you are, the easier it's going to be to raise your level of play, no matter where you're at."

Philbin estimated that Coston missed maybe one morning practice during two-a-days because of soreness in his knee, but otherwise he's been available, as well as willing and capable, of playing wherever the coaches need him.

"Probably one of the laws of nature is that if you're out here and you're working, you're probably going to get better and improve," Philbin said. "That's no accident.

"He's been very, very healthy, and he's worked extremely hard. He's got some fine natural athletic ability as well. You combine all that, ... he's coming along."

hurleyfan
08-21-2007, 05:38 PM
The Michelin man last year right? Wasn't the big knock last year on the big guy was he was soft?

Now he's played and worked his way into football shape? Can't hurt right!

MTPackerfan
08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Did he hang around GB for all the off-season work outs, etc? If so, maybe that explains some of his progress.

hurleyfan
08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
It would be nice if he's improved "naturally" by working with the staff!

Partial
08-21-2007, 06:07 PM
The Juice is loose!

CaliforniaCheez
08-21-2007, 06:17 PM
He is ahead of Moll on the depth chart.

Think one will be cut over the other?

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2007, 06:20 PM

I don't think so. Teams usually only carry 3 backups (sometimes 4), so backups have to be versatile. A three man backup crew of Moll, Barbre, and Coston could cover them at all five positions. I think Moll has a good shot at returning to the top backup spot once he's healthy. But I think he's missed a good couple of weeks of practice.

Brohm
08-21-2007, 07:54 PM
What is wrong with Moll (what injury)?

Charles Woodson
08-21-2007, 07:54 PM

I don't think so. Teams usually only carry 3 backups (sometimes 4), so backups have to be versatile. A three man backup crew of Moll, Barbre, and Coston could cover them at all five positions. I think Moll has a good shot at returning to the top backup spot once he's healthy. But I think he's missed a good couple of weeks of practice.

How has Barbe been doing, i havent heard much about him

Bretsky
08-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I cheer for Orange Juice; the true reason I have my doubts is he's been invisible for the first two years, and he has to be a bit of a head case for hooking up with that whack Nutz had to listen to all of last year.

retailguy
08-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I cheer for Orange Juice; the true reason I have my doubts is he's been invisible for the first two years, and he has to be a bit of a head case for hooking up with that whack Nutz had to listen to all of last year.

Orange Juice Fraud? We gotta replace Ferguson as biggest underachiever, don't we?

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure late round picks can be considered underachievers.

Partial
08-22-2007, 12:00 AM

Orange Juice Fraud? We gotta replace Ferguson as biggest underachiever, don't we?

Doesn't seem like your boy TT has had a fraud yet :D

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 12:04 AM

There have been reports that he looks pretty good--especially considering he was an OT for a small school with "limited" intelligence. I had read where Philbin, who isn't prone to hyperbole, feels he'll be a solid starter in the NFL some day. Athletic. I like that he has a mean streak. A lot of camp fights have involved him. It might take a couple of years to reach his peak, but he could probably play in a pinch this year.

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 12:13 AM

Doesn't seem like your boy TT has had a fraud yet :D

Hopefully Harrell isn't the first

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Quite early to be writing him off. It could happen. 1st round picks aren't guaranteed studs. I'm more interested in how the class does overall. Ron Wolf struck out more with his 1st round picks than his 3rd round picks, but he ended having more quality drafts than not.

Harrell isn't the only 1st rounder who isn't exactly lighting it up (see Gaines Adams, Jamal Anderson, Ted Ginn, Marshawn Lynch, Lawrence Timmons, Robert Meachem, and Dwayne Bowe). He's the only one of the bunch who didn't play much last year and couldn't participate in any offseason activities. Too early to write any of them off.

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Quite early to be writing him off. It could happen. 1st round picks aren't guaranteed studs. I'm more interested in how the class does overall. Ron Wolf struck out more with his 1st round picks than his 3rd round picks, but he ended having more quality drafts than not.

Harrell isn't the only 1st rounder who isn't exactly lighting it up (see Gaines Adams, Jamal Anderson, Ted Ginn, Marshawn Lynch, Lawrence Timmons, Robert Meachem, and Dwayne Bowe). He's the only one of the bunch who didn't play much last year and couldn't participate in any offseason activities. Too early to write any of them off.

Absolutely right

Partial
08-22-2007, 12:31 AM

I'm just giving Bretsky crap. I think Harrell will be fine. He looked too good at Tennessee not to be at least solid. I don't think his work ethic will be a problem. He'll be fine by next year.

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 12:36 AM

I'm just giving Bretsky crap. I think Harrell will be fine. He looked too good at Tennessee not to be at least solid. I don't think his work ethic will be a problem. He'll be fine by next year.

Hey, weren't you the same dude who said by the first regular season game Harrell will be our best DT ??

I think you expectations have been de homered a bit :wink: :wink:

Partial
08-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Yeah, something is up with him besides his conditioning because he should have his legs under him by now. I am rather stupidified by how little he has done. The best DT was rather homeristic, but I atleast thought he'd be 3rd in the rotation.

CaliforniaCheez
08-22-2007, 01:03 AM
I think with the talent elsewhere and the versatility of many of the O-linemen it is possible the team goes as low as 8 O linement on the final roster.

Tauscher, Spitz, Clifton, Well, Colledge are going to make it.

I think Barbre is likely as well as Moll.

Then I think Walter is next on the depth chart and Coston is on the bubble.

Frankly this whole article could be an attempt to get another team to take Coston in trade.

Coston is really competing with number 9 and 10 D linemen, number 9 and 10 DB, #6 and 7 LB, #6 RB etc.

In short he is on the bubble. If he ever got time at his college position of Center I would say the odds are 60% he makes the final roster. Because he doesn't I think his odds of making the final roster are 40-45%.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Walter is a journeyman. I'd think he's more likely to be on the bubble than Coston. If Coston continue to play decently at several positions, he'll make the team.

CaliforniaCheez
08-22-2007, 03:36 AM
It is the back up Center spot that has me most concerned for the final spot.

Walter leads there and is flexible/versatile. Wlater has made more plays than Coston.

If 9 OL are kept perhaps Coston might make it.

Coston played Center in college yet the Packers have never given him much of a chance there.

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah, something is up with him besides his conditioning because he should have his legs under him by now. I am rather stupidified by how little he has done. The best DT was rather homeristic, but I atleast thought he'd be 3rd in the rotation.

Well, I'm pretty sure TT drafted him to a major contributor year one too and expected him to be just that.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Wlater has made more plays than Coston.

If 9 OL are kept perhaps Coston might make it.

Coston played Center in college yet the Packers have never given him much of a chance there.

Not sure I agree that Walter has made more plays than Coston. The coaches seem to be more pleased with Coston. I don't think they need Coston to play C. I think Spitz can do that. Coston can play RG if he does. Bottom line: I think the coaches would rather have Coston starting than Walter.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 09:31 AM

Barbre is a rock in blocking test
By Rob Demovsky

Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz combined to start 28 games as rookie offensive linemen last season, but neither one dominated a certain practice drill like rookie guard Allen Barbre has this summer.

By unofficial count, the Green Bay Packers' fourth-round draft pick has lined up 22 times in the one-on-one pass blocking/pass rushing drill. He has won 18 of them, including a clean sweep of three reps during Tuesday's practice.

"Sometimes, he puts on a show down there," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "He has everything you're looking for in a pass protector. There's really nothing he's lacking."

Barbre has rare athleticism for a guy who is 6-foot-4 and 302 pounds. In college, he was a gunner on the punt return team. At the NFL scouting combine, he ran a 4.84 40-yard dash.

"He's got good bend for a big guy," Philbin said. "He's got a good base, and he can punch you."

All of those qualities come in handy when trying to protect the quarterback.

Of his four losses in the one-on-one drill, two have come against Cullen Jenkins, who arguably has been the best defensive lineman in camp this year.

During Tuesday's full-pads practice, Barbre won each of his three reps in a different manner. He used a quick, left-handed punch to turn back rookie defensive tackle Daniel Muir. He overpowered a power rusher in rookie first-round draft pick Justin Harrell and used his quickness on the outside to win a rep at left tackle against rookie defensive end Larry Birdine.

Barbre hasn't feasted on just rookies, either. He has won reps against the likes of Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Johnny Jolly.

Though Barbre is a soft-spoken 23-year-old from the small town of Granby, Mo., his coaches say he plays with a quiet confidence. When asked if he ever loses a one-on-one rep, Barbre sheepishly replied: "I guess you could say I get my share."

"That's always been kind of a gift, I'd say," Barbre said. "I've always been able to pass block. I've always worked at it and watched my technique closely."

When training camp opened, second-year pro Tony Moll (who started 10 games last season as a fill in at right guard and right tackle) was widely considered the team's top backup linemen. Now, that probably would best describe Barbre, however Moll's slip is at least partially tied to his shoulder stinger that has kept him out for the last two weeks.

Another difference between Moll and Barbre is Barbre, at this point, probably is limited to one position. A tackle during all four of his college seasons at Division II Missouri Southern State, Barbre has played exclusively at left guard during all team drills and in the first two preseason games.

When starting left tackle Chad Clifton missed a couple of practices early in camp, Colledge moved over from left guard to left tackle and Barbre filled in for Colledge. Barbre's only work at left tackle has come in the form of a handful of one-on-one reps.

Still, Barbre might be the Packers' best left-tackle prospect in the long run.

"It may be Barbre," Philbin said. "Long-term, he might be our guy out there."

As solid as Barbre has been in pass protection, he's still struggling to execute the zone-blocking scheme in part because he's too tentative.

"He just needs to unleash it and go," offensive line coach James Campen said. "Get to his aiming point, don't be hesitant and just go. Once he gets into that mode, he's going to be just fine. He's very athletic. He has a mean streak in him. Once he realizes he can just turn it loose and go, we expect him to be the same player that we saw in college."

Barbre and the No. 2 offensive line should get a fair amount of playing time in the final two preseason games (at home against Jacksonville on Thursday and at Tennessee on Aug. 30).

Even if Barbre doesn't play a down this season, it appears Thompson's decision to use the 119th overall pick in the draft – the pick that probably would have pried Randy Moss from the Oakland Raiders had General Manager Ted Thompson offered it up – on Barbre could pay dividends down the road.

"If you asked him if he was totally comfortable at this stage of the game, he'd probably say no," Philbin said. "But I think these next two weeks, getting him some more work, will help in his development for sure."