PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming: It's Moose burger time

Kiwon
08-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Moose - It's either them or us.

First the cows were going to kill us. Now it's the moose. Maybe it's time to switch to moose burgers.
.................................................. ..........................

Norway's Moose Population in Trouble for Belching

The poor old Scandinavian moose is now being blamed for climate change, with researchers in Norway claiming that a grown moose can produce 2,100 kilos of methane a year -- equivalent to the CO2 output resulting from a 13,000 kilometer car journey.

Norway is concerned that its national animal, the moose, is harming the climate by emitting an estimated 2,100 kilos of carbon dioxide a year through its belching and farting.

Norwegian newspapers, citing research from Norway's technical university, said a motorist would have to drive 13,000 kilometers in a car to emit as much CO2 as a moose does in a year.

Much like cows (more...), bacteria in a moose's stomach create methane gas which is considered even more destructive to the environment than carbon gas. Cows pose the same problem.

Norway has some 120,000 moose but an estimated 35,000 are expected to be killed in this year's moose hunting season, which starts on September 25, Norwegian newspaper VG reported.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 08:07 PM
I wonder if it's the same with deer. We got about 1.5 million of them in Wisconsin. :shock:

Kiwon
08-21-2007, 08:44 PM
And a blast from the past....

Cows or Humans: Whose the Worse Polluter?

The answer is cows by far...
.................................................. .............................................

Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane,or even George Bush: it is the cow.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.

The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

Burning fuel to produce fertiliser to grow feed, to produce meat and to transport it - and clearing vegetation for grazing - produces 9 per cent of all emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common greenhouse gas. And their wind and manure emit more than one third of emissions of another, methane, which warms the world 20 times faster than carbon dioxide.

Livestock also produces more than 100 other polluting gases, including more than two-thirds of the world's emissions of ammonia, one of the main causes of acid rain.

Ranching, the report adds, is "the major driver of deforestation" worldwide, and overgrazing is turning a fifth of all pastures and ranges into desert.Cows also soak up vast amounts of water: it takes a staggering 990 litres of water to produce one litre of milk.

Wastes from feedlots and fertilisers used to grow their feed overnourish water, causing weeds to choke all other life. And the pesticides, antibiotics and hormones used to treat them get into drinking water and endanger human health.

The pollution washes down to the sea, killing coral reefs and creating "dead zones" devoid of life. One is up to 21,000sqkm, in the Gulf of Mexico, where much of the waste from US beef production is carried down the Mississippi.

The report concludes that, unless drastic changes are made, the massive damage done by livestock will more than double by 2050, as demand for meat increases.
.................................................. ........................

Freak Out
08-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Speaking of Moose...I'll do my part, I'm going hunting in two weeks.

the_idle_threat
08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Best of luck to ya. Moose is some good eatin' from what I understand.

Kiwon
08-21-2007, 10:31 PM

:five: Good job!

Now I save myself some money and forgo buying carbon offsets.

Hey, do me a favor and do some target practice on a few cows.

Screw PETA! I'm trying to save the planet!

Merlin
08-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Has anyone else read what a disaster the Kyoto Treaty (however it's spelled) has been? Countries that weren't producing any pollution are now producing it on purpose to get money from the United Nations to clean it up. In other words the almighty enviro-weenies are scammers...

Freak Out
08-21-2007, 11:29 PM

:five: Good job!

Now I save myself some money and forgo buying carbon offsets.

Hey, do me a favor and do some target practice on a few cows.

Screw PETA! I'm trying to save the planet!

I'll check regs for the unit I'll be in but I doubt we'll be able to "harvest" any cows....moose that is. I did shoot a ranchers cow once while deer hunting in Kodiak. :satan:
Hey...it was open range!
Got away with it. :lol:

Freak Out
08-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Has anyone else read what a disaster the Kyoto Treaty (however it's spelled) has been? Countries that weren't producing any pollution are now producing it on purpose to get money from the United Nations to clean it up. In other words the almighty enviro-weenies are scammers...

Nothing like a little "Carbon Trading" to clean up the planet.

LL2
08-22-2007, 09:46 AM

The entire global warming is a scam. Algore is profiting from it and is a big hypocrite! His gas and electric bills total over $12,000 a year! He says that is ok because he buys carbon offsets. What the hell is that? Attending a charity dinner for Greenpeace for $5,000 a plate is called an carbon offset by enviromental wacko's.

MadtownPacker
08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Man I don't know squat about hunting but a moose burger sounds great. Whats it taste like?

Merlin
08-22-2007, 11:54 AM

The entire global warming is a scam. Algore is profiting from it and is a big hypocrite! His gas and electric bills total over $12,000 a year! He says that is ok because he buys carbon offsets. What the hell is that? Attending a charity dinner for Greenpeace for $5,000 a plate is called an carbon offset by enviromental wacko's.

Well his carbon "offsets" are technically from purchasing power from wind plants, etc. The problem is that it takes an awful lot of environmental resources to produce a wind plant and the wind plant does not ever pay off it's environmental cost because you need a shit ton of them to make anything viable.

Little Whiskey
08-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Man I don't know squat about hunting but a moose burger sounds great. Whats it taste like?

chicken

Maybe hunters should get paid for producing carbon offsets. anybody want to sponser my hunting trip??

Tyrone Bigguns
08-22-2007, 06:38 PM

Well his carbon "offsets" are technically from purchasing power from wind plants, etc. The problem is that it takes an awful lot of environmental resources to produce a wind plant and the wind plant does not ever pay off it's environmental cost because you need a shit ton of them to make anything viable.

You are talking about what is current. Many buildings are being designed to incorporate wind power.

Freak Out
08-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Very, very lean...not as much of a game taste as most deer although it is very different from beef. I don't make much burger from the moose I get because you have to add suet from beef and such to get it to cook like a burger, I try and use only fat from the animal I get to grind into burger so most times you don't get to much...only 50-60 pounds or so. I'll see if I can bring some to the PRs game.

mraynrand
08-23-2007, 03:21 AM
Clearly, you are all missing the obvious point. There is one simple solution to all our problems: Soylent Green. Soylent green is people! It's PEOPLE!!!!!!

http://www.stomptokyo.com/img-m3/soylent-a.jpg

LL2
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Clearly, you are all missing the obvious point. There is one simple solution to all our problems: Soylent Green. Soylent green is people! It's PEOPLE!!!!!!

http://www.stomptokyo.com/img-m3/soylent-a.jpg

I saw that movie in college and thought that line was hilarious! I was warning everyone on campus not to eat Soylent Green.

Cheesehead Craig
08-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Talk about some pot smokers science. What the hell are researchers doing collecting moose belches? Someone got real high and thought of this.

Damn, I gotta get me one of these gigs. Time to see what causes more gas: Pepperoni and mushroom pizza or sausage and mushroom pizza.

Heavy on the 'shrooms!

MJZiggy
08-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Pepperoni without a doubt. A few more mushrooms, please.

Joemailman
08-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about global warming, but singling out Gore as a profiteer seems a bit silly. I think it's fair to say that the oil and coal industries have more to gain financially from denying the existence of global warming than Al Gore does by promoting it.

Kiwon
09-01-2007, 04:43 AM

Freak Out, have you gone hunting yet and done your part to save the planet?

Freak Out
09-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Freak Out, have you gone hunting yet and done your part to save the planet?

Not yet Kiwon...probably the end of next week.....or the following week. It's still to warm!

swede
09-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about global warming, but singling out Gore as a profiteer seems a bit silly. I think it's fair to say that the oil and coal industries have more to gain financially from denying the existence of global warming than Al Gore does by promoting it.

Yeah. It's not like HE makes any money by talking about this stuff. Now the guys on his plane, though, they gotta get paid, so, pony up the dough if you want to have Big Al lay an inconvenient truth on you in your home town.

And oil and gas companies don't deny the fact of global warming!

They just want to deny that the oil and coal companies have caused the problem so they backchannel funds to get whacky European scientists to blame it on the belching Scandihoovian moose.