PDA

View Full Version : TT Is A Happy Polar Bear

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Packers Confident In '06 Draft Class

by Eddie Watson, Packers.com
posted 04/30/2006

It's time for the Green Bay Packers staff to get some rest with the conclusion of the 2006 NFL Draft.

The Packers dealt their way from seven to 12 picks and managed to distribute them equally between offensive and defensive players. Highlighted by the fifth overall pick of linebacker A.J. Hawk, the Packers were very pleased with how things went for them draft weekend.

"I am happy for the work and dedication everybody did to put this together," an upbeat Ted Thompson said in a press conference at the end of the draft. "A lot of it is blind luck, but we think we got a little lucky. There were some players on the board a little bit later than we thought they would be and we were able to take them, and also able to accumulate a few more picks.

"I said before I think we needed to add some young core players to our team, and I think we got some outstanding players. Certainly in A.J. Hawk and some of the other players taken yesterday, but even some guys taken today. Even though they were taken second day, they are going to become household names around here. I believe that."

Thompson was very specific with the kind of players he wanted to draft. He was thrilled to be able to add more uniquely gifted players to the organization.

"It's what I like to call a country football player, a guy that knows how to play the game," Thompson said. "A guy may not be as big or fast as everybody else, but someone who always seems to make the play. These are all guys that love to practice and are passionate about the game."

Head Coach Mike McCarthy was involved in his first draft with the Packers as the team's leader. He shared the same sentiments as Thompson about the organization's performance in the draft.

"Our objective was to acquire as many picks as possible, and we're up to 12 picks so we feel like we have a lot of quality football players to add to our football team," McCarthy said. "We're excited about the last couple of days."

The team now looks to compete for the right opportunities in free agency and gear up for the start of mini-camps at the end of the week, when everyone will get their first look at the new draft picks and coach in action.

"I'm anxious for our team and you guys to see how (McCarthy) runs things," Thompson said. "I think you'll really like how Mike and his staff go about their business. I am completely confident in them."

I know this article comes from Packer.com. I also know everybody claims to be happy with their draft. However, in the past, Thompson has appeared to be so reserved as to be robot-like. He really seems to be happy with this draft in a very outgoing way. Not cocky, but really confident. Hopefully, this will somehow translate to a better team atmosphere. Last year, from the start of the pre-season, the packers never seemed to project much confidence or optimism.

b bulldog
05-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Me so happy after this draft

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 09:26 PM
"I'm anxious for our team and you guys to see how (McCarthy) runs things," Thompson said.

Can't be too anxious--you've locked us out of camp!!

Anti-Polar Bear
05-01-2006, 09:29 PM

tt so horny after this draft.

(so many rookies to sleep with, which gay gm wouldnt be happy?)

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Tank, tou sound envious.

Bossman641
05-01-2006, 09:47 PM

tt so horny after this draft.

(so many rookies to sleep with, which gay gm wouldnt be happy?)

Hahaha

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I know this article comes from Packer.com. I also know everybody claims to be happy with their draft. However, in the past, Thompson has appeared to be so reserved as to be robot-like. He really seems to be happy with this draft in a very outgoing way. Not cocky, but really confident. Hopefully, this will somehow translate to a better team atmosphere. Last year, from the start of the pre-season, the packers never seemed to project much confidence or optimism.

I thought the same exact thing. Thompson just looked genuinely satisfied and sure of himself....

KYPack
05-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Obviously, the draft is Ted's comfort zone.

Thompson looked so shaky and nervous during the sacking of Sherman that is was unnerving.

He really needs to work on his public speaking skills. You can't just hope to always have a message that's easy to deliver.

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
hahahaha

You can't just hope to have a message thats easy to deliver..That was good.

I could care less about his public speaking skills...

Fritz
05-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Well, if everybody's comfort zone is limited, I'm glad TT's comfort zone is the draft. That's how you build teams. I'd hate to see his strength being the ability to find the cheapest long distance phone company or something.

This thread brings up a question for me: I wonder if, ever, any GM or coach has slipped and let it be known that he was unhappy with his team's draft? Or are the cues less obvious? If so, anybody know any stories of GM's or coaches who seemed less than enthused? Either this year or years past?

KYPack
05-02-2006, 07:27 AM
hahahaha

You can't just hope to have a message thats easy to deliver..That was good.

I could care less about his public speaking skills...

It's all a part of the image of the organization.

What if Wolf would've been the GM during the sacking of MS? He would've worn a business suit, started the press conference within a minute of the announced time, then delivered his message in cilipped, direct language. He then would've fielded a few questions and marched off, every inch the man in charge.

TT looked like the shy bookworm trying to make his first public speech.

it reflected badly on his leadership skills.

It's no big deal, but he needs to get it fixed.

swede
05-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Also, I believe TT when he says that he didn't go looking for those trade downs. Other teams came to him and when the offer gave him a chance to get the same player or a similar player he took the extra picks.

Let the draft come to papa instead of trading up. Now you have Abdul Hodge AND Cory Rodgers.

Yesterday I thought about this: Didi Wolf demand the same media fascination as TT?

Mike McCarthy is almost ignored by us and the media. TT is the big fish in this pond. Wolf/Holmgren seemed to have been on more equal footing in their day.

Maybe it's because TT plays hard to get.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Also, I believe TT when he says that he didn't go looking for those trade downs. Other teams came to him and when the offer gave him a chance to get the same player or a similar player he took the extra picks.

Let the draft come to papa instead of trading up. Now you have Abdul Hodge AND Cory Rodgers.

Yesterday I thought about this: Didi Wolf demand the same media fascination as TT?

Mike McCarthy is almost ignored by us and the media. TT is the big fish in this pond. Wolf/Holmgren seemed to have been on more equal footing in their day.

Maybe it's because TT plays hard to get.

It could be because McCarthy hasn't coached his first game yet. He's still earning his head coach stripes.

GrnBay007
05-02-2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.packerpalace.com/blog/teds-trouble-with-tribbles.gif

swede
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
LOL!

Glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee when I saw that.

KYPack
05-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Where'd you dig that one up, 007?

That's a rotflmfao all the way!

GrnBay007
05-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Thank you Colonel :razz: Found that at PackerPalace.