PDA

View Full Version : DL Notes from JS

RashanGary
08-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Tackle battle
With six defensive tackles in camp, five expected to make the team and four figured to be active on Sundays, top pick Justin Harrell isn't guaranteed of being in uniform come opening day.

"I'm not sure of that," co-defensive line coach Carl Hairston said. "Hopefully, he'll come around. He's a good kid and he's a coachable kid. When you've got that mixture you've got a chance to get better."

Hairston didn't disagree with one scout who said Harrell took too many downs off against Seattle.

"It's his conditioning," Hairston said. "I'm hoping by September he will be where he needs to be as far as conditioning. Once he gets the stamina where he wants it then he can do what he did at Tennessee."

Among the veteran tackles, Hairston said, Johnny Jolly has been the most consistent pass rusher and Ryan Pickett has been the stoutest against the run.

Moment to shine
Rookie defensive end Larry Birdine had four tackles, a sack, two quarterback hits and a forced fumble Saturday night against Seattle.

That earned him the right to play some with the No. 1 defense Thursday against Jacksonville.

Birdine came to camp unprepared for the fast pace of training camp and couldn't keep up with the rest of the defensive line early on. But over the last week or so, he has caught up some and the former Oklahoma Sooner is opening some eyes with his aggressive play.

He will receive snaps with the No. 1 unit this week to find out whether he's for real. The coaches like what they see but the high-energy Birdine gets exhausted too quickly and must show he has more staying power.

"He's got a legitimate shot," defensive tackles coach Robert Nunn said of Birdine making the team. "He's definitely on track. "

RashanGary
08-21-2007, 10:59 PM
DE

Jenkins
Kampman
KGB
Williams (DT swing)
Hunter (ST's, no defense)

DT

Jolly
Pickett
Cole (they seem to like him)
Williams (swing DE)

Then Muir and Harrell gain conditioning while not playing. It's too bad that Harrell is having such a hard time. He's just not playing well enough to see the field in game situation. I think it would say a lot about our coaching staff if they made the tough decision and didn't play Harrell. Right now I think it's the right decision.

RashanGary
08-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Driver gets the thumbs down and Jennings does well when given the chance. They need to get him the ball more.

THUMBS DOWN
Wide receiver Donald Driver still is quarterback Brett Favre's best option but he has had a case of the drops during training camp and needs to clean that up before the regular season starts. Driver was at it again this week in practice, dropping a pass Monday in practice and then letting a perfectly thrown deep ball from Favre bounce off his hands during a full pads practice Tuesday. Driver also had a drop on a slant route in the first quarter of the Seattle exhibition game Saturday night. A year ago, Driver ranked tied for seventh in the NFL with eight drops, which also tied for the team lead with tight end Bubba Franks. That's one for every 21.5 passes that were thrown his way. By comparison, fellow starting receiver Greg Jennings dropped three passes, or one every 35 passes thrown his way. Driver's drops are another reason the Packers are making a mistake by not keeping Jennings involved in the offense during camp. Driver can't do it all alone and the more the ball is spread around, the less reliance there is on one player making every catch. Jennings has seen a few more balls in the past week but he needs to be used some as the primary receiver so he can establish himself as a big part of the offense.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2007, 11:54 PM
I think it would say a lot about our coaching staff if they made the tough decision and didn't play Harrell.

I wonder if they can stash him on IR for the season for being severely winded.

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 12:10 AM
I think it would say a lot about our coaching staff if they made the tough decision and didn't play Harrell.

They can do the same thing as they did with the Fraud the first 10 games of his rookie season; just make him inactive on Game Day if he's not cutting it.

Ferguson was the only pick in the top 2 rounds not to suit up for games for the first half of the season in 2001 that was not injured. Hence Da Fraud began

Partial
08-22-2007, 12:11 AM

They can do the same thing as they did with the Fraud the first 10 games of his rookie season; just make him inactive on Game Day if he's not cutting it.

Ferguson was the only pick in the top 2 rounds not to suit up for games for the first half of the season in 2001 that was not injured. Hence Da Fraud began

Justin Fruad Harrell might end up doing the same :evil:

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2007, 12:16 AM

Ya, but that still eats up a roster spot.

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 12:18 AM

He's a guy whose PR fan sentiment seems to be like a teeter totter in here

A bit ago somebody mocked a few posters (me being one of them) for my reaction of TT drafting Justin Harrell on draft day. I didn't understand the point at the time; Harrell has not succeeded or failed yet so no need to go calling anybody out either way. Plus, fans overreact at times; if people don't realize that they don't understand what being a diehard sports fan is. I've mellowed out and become mum on the subject now for the most part and am willing to give him a chance. There were still several players (including Meachem which I'm on record for) that I'd have preferred Green Bay go with. But most of all, the Cleveland trade will stick in my head.

TT clearly loved Harrell and was unwilling to take the chance of not getting him. Time will tell if it was the right call.

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 12:21 AM

Ya, but that still eats up a roster spot.

No matter how good or bad Harrell looks, he will eat up a roster spot. Like Ferguson, he's a high draft pick and they are not going to stash him on IR barring a serious injury. They need him to take every possible repetition in practice and get in frickin shape if he's not there now.

RashanGary
08-22-2007, 06:45 AM
I understand peoples instinct to freak out and panic at the first sign of trouble but I think there is something to be said for seeing the big picture and maybe suffering through some of the growing pains. Harrell was a hell of a college player and has a hell of a lot of talent. His injury hurt him. He's well worth a roster spot on potential. If he comes in his second year and is a top tier DT then he was well worth the pick too. John Jolly couldn't crack the lineup last year and now he's our best DT. It's a lot premature to be judging the Harrell pick. He's not ready, early, as a rookie, that's all you can read into it right now.

SkinBasket
08-22-2007, 07:12 AM
John Jolly couldn't crack the lineup last year and now he's our best DT.

I like Jolly as much as the next guy, but what region of your buttocks did you grab this from?

Packnut
08-22-2007, 08:14 AM
I understand peoples instinct to freak out and panic at the first sign of trouble but I think there is something to be said for seeing the big picture and maybe suffering through some of the growing pains. Harrell was a hell of a college player and has a hell of a lot of talent. His injury hurt him. He's well worth a roster spot on potential. If he comes in his second year and is a top tier DT then he was well worth the pick too. John Jolly couldn't crack the lineup last year and now he's our best DT. It's a lot premature to be judging the Harrell pick. He's not ready, early, as a rookie, that's all you can read into it right now.

No there is something you can read out of it. It's called being in-mature and having a poor work ethic. No reason to come into camp out of shape. That had NOTHING to do with the injury. Not saying he won't mature in time, but it is an un-known.

Cheesehead Craig
08-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Plus, fans overreact at times
What! This is big stinking pile of crap Bretsky! How dare you say that here!

Carolina_Packer
08-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Some think that each of your top 4-5 picks needs to come in and be an instant contributor. You'd prefer no flyers go out for first round picks, but I don't think TT has any illusions of Harrell being a big contributor this year, but was thinking more long-term. Since we don't need him to be as much of a factor this year with the depth we have, perhaps you just give him a break if you're on his case and let him develop and grow. If he has as much upside as TT thinks, he could be a special player. Hard to put the pressure on him right away to show it. Give it time.

Zool
08-22-2007, 08:39 AM

I like Jolly as much as the next guy, but what region of your buttocks did you grab this from?
I'm guessing the brown nebula.

wist43
08-22-2007, 09:08 AM

I'm guessing the brown nebula.

I'm with JH on this one... Jolly has been the best DT in camp so far.

Unless Harrell steps it up, he could be inactive on Sundays... I didn't like the pick b/c of the logjam that already existed at DT, and the ginormous holes elsewhere on the roster; but, I did/do think Harrell will be a decent player. His slow start, despite the fact that there are legitimate reasons for the slow start, is somewhat troubling.

Birdine - with Montgomery on the shelf, does Birdine make the roster now??? Could be.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2007, 09:32 AM
I think the Atari Bigby saga ought to be a dose of humility for the talent scouts in this forum. Everyone had him cut (or worse!), next day the coaches promoted him.

I give even odds that Harrell starts on opening day. If the coaches think he is a talent, and he just needs to play his way into better shape, his phantom status as numero uno on the depth chart makes sense.

Fritz
08-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I wonder if Mike Montgomery's career with the Pack is over. Getting hurt can really mess a guy up (see Underwood, Marviel).

Whoever the names are, I do hope the defensive line is a strength - a big strength - of this team. That will allow the shaky safeties or nickel backs or whomever a little room for error. And they'll need it, I think. Inexperiene will be the word.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Getting hurt can really mess a guy up .

Thanks for that insight, Fritz!

Him8123
08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
this is why I was concerned with this pick in the draft. We use our first round on a kid that not only cannot help favre out on the offensive side of the ball. But might not be able to play come sunday!!??? First rounders in my opinion were for people who could come in right away and make an impact ala A.J. Hawk. I sure hope sometime he proves he was worth it.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Sorry for crapping on you, Fritz. That was brutal.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
[quote="Harlan Huckleby"] Everyone had him cut (or worse!), quote]

Please tell me what is worse than being cut. :D

The Leaper
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Please tell me what is worse than being cut. :D

Having Davenport drop a deuce in your closet?

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Getting your dog poisoned. Wouldn't be the first time in GB.

LL2
08-22-2007, 09:53 AM

I will be pissed at TT if Harrel doesn't at least play 30% of the snaps this season. 1st rd picks should be starters and contributors from day 1. If we would've draft Quinn or Meachum we might be saying the same thing. To me it would be sad to say that JJ and BJAck might contribute more than Harell.

cheesner
08-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I think the Atari Bigby saga ought to be a dose of humility for the talent scouts in this forum. Everyone had him cut (or worse!), next day the coaches promoted him.

I give even odds that Harrell starts on opening day. If the coaches think he is a talent, and he just needs to play his way into better shape, his phantom status as numero uno on the depth chart makes sense.Very good, I am with you on this. I don't know that he starts week 1, but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't starting by mid-season. Developing football players takes a bit of patience - the chicken-little approach to fandom sometimes gets a little old.