View Full Version : Tuesday Camp Report

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Tuesday camp report
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 21, 2007
THUMBS UP

Give safety Charlie Peprah a lot of credit. All summer long he has languished on the fourth team, waiting for any kind of opportunity to prove himself as a position player. A starter on the kickoff coverage unit and second-string on three other special teams units, Peprah looked to be a long shot to make the team. But against Seattle Saturday night, Peprah picked off a pass late in the game and had another interception Tuesday in practice. With the release of Marviel Underwood, Peprah has moved up to the No. 3 unit and stands to get a significant amount of playing time Thursday night against Jacksonville. If the quick-footed Peprah continues to play strong special teams and improve as a safety, he'll stay ahead of Tyrone Culver and Alvin Nnabuife and possibly knock veteran Marquand Manuel out of a job. Peprah, who was claimed off waivers from the New York Giants last September, said he had been waiting for his opportunity to show what he can do. Even though it has taken longer than expected, there is time for him to make a run at a roster spot. It would help if he could elevate himself onto the first team of several other special teams units. Then there would be no reason to keep Manuel around.

THUMBS DOWN

Wide receiver Donald Driver still is quarterback Brett Favre's best option but he has had a case of the drops during training camp and needs to clean that up before the regular season starts. Driver was at it again this week in practice, dropping a pass Monday in practice and then letting a perfectly thrown deep ball from Favre bounce off his hands during a full pads practice Tuesday. Driver also had a drop on a slant route in the first quarter of the Seattle exhibition game Saturday night. A year ago, Driver ranked tied for seventh in the NFL with eight drops, which also tied for the team lead with tight end Bubba Franks. That's one for every 21.5 passes that were thrown his way. By comparison, fellow starting receiver Greg Jennings dropped three passes, or one every 35 passes thrown his way. Driver's drops are another reason the Packers are making a mistake by not keeping Jennings involved in the offense during camp. Driver can't do it all alone and the more the ball is spread around, the less reliance there is on one player making every catch. Jennings has seen a few more balls in the past week but he needs to be used some as the primary receiver so he can establish himself as a big part of the offense.

INJURY REPORT

Defensive Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee) missed practice. Gbaja-Biamila was excused from team activities Monday because he was with his 18-month-old son, Anis-Jedidiah Oladipupo, who was undergoing a follow-up visit at Children's Hospital after undergoing a procedure three weeks ago to repair a minor heart defect. Gbaja-Biamila said his son was doing well.

Running back DeShawn Wynn (thigh) was not cleared to practice and won't play against Jacksonville.

Coach Mike McCarthy said running back Vernand Morency (knee) might be back for the Tennessee game Aug. 30 and definitely would be ready for the season opener against Philadelphia Sept. 9.

ODDS AND ENDS

Jennings might not be getting the ball a lot but it hasn't affected his catching ability. When Favre threw him a post route into the end zone, Jennings reached out and snared the ball cleanly with two hands.

First-round pick Justin Harrell had a forgettable day in one-on-one pass rush drills. He lost to guard Allen Barbre and centers Tyson Walter, Jason Spitz and C.J. Blomvall.

Manuel received a couple of repetitions with the No. 1 defense, but Atari Bigby and Nick Collins handled most of the work together. Manuel was paired mostly with rookie Aaron Rouse.

Linebacker Tracy White probably wasn't expecting the shot he took from Blomvall during a team drill blitz. White came flying in the hole, and Blomvall, the Swedish import, snapped White's head back with a clean shot to the chest.

Practice was moved inside the Don Hutson Center for the second day, again disappointing fans who were expecting to see the team. The Packers have three more practices left that are open to the public.

Wide receiver James Jones had a rare drop in practice. He ran a nice hitch route inside the 10-yard line and Favre threw straight to his numbers. However, the ball hit his hands and dropped to the ground. Jones almost never catches the ball with his body.

RashanGary
08-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm prepared to see Harrell sit for a while. He needs to get his body together.

Jennings needs to keep getting the ball. Favre keeps talking about "chemistry", he better start doing his part to get it.

oregonpackfan
08-21-2007, 11:26 PM
First of all, it bothers me when a first round draft pick does not show up in shape to camp. Yes, Harrell was recovering from arm surgery but he could have been doing aerobic activities as well as lower leg liftingto keep himself in shape.

Second, it REALLY bothers me when a first round draft pick like Harrell is not making a significant contribution to the team much less contend to be a starter. Many first round picks are almost expected to start and be a part of the team's success. It sounds like Harrell is stuggling to meet the standards of some free agents.

Though it is still early, Harrell is on track to becoming a defensive lineman first round dud like Jamaal Reynolds.

RashanGary
08-21-2007, 11:29 PM
He's not helping himself at all. You watch him in college and you see impact. Now he just looks slugish. Jolly couldn't crack the field last year and he might be the best DT on our team now. Sometimes it takes a year to put it together. Harrell has ability and he's willing to work. He needs to just keep pushing. We talked this same way about Hawk coming out of the preseason. Rookies sometimes take a little bit. It took Hawk half of a season. I think it's going to take Harrell a full season.

Merlin
08-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Wow, someone who doesn't have their nose up Harrell's ass? Jolly wasn't a first round pick as wasn't toughted as being the second coming. Harrell was and he has been a major disappointment. I seriously doubt a year will do anything for him. He has his cash, the rest doesn't matter anymore. Hello Cleduis...wait no, Hunt actually played well before he got paid, my bad...

DO NOT FEAR THOUGH!!

HE IS STILL #1 ON THE DEPTH CHART SO YOU KNOW HE IS THE SHIT~

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Obviously Harrell made a mistake in not keeping up on his conditioning while rehabbing his injury. Hopefully he can improve his stamina and be more of a factor as the season goes on. The coaching staff is very big on off-season conditioning, and I'm sure they'll have him in an off-season program that will make next year much different.

RashanGary
08-21-2007, 11:41 PM
He's listed there (starting) but he's not playinig there and he won't. They talked on JS about the coaches maybe not dressing him for games.

I'm sure you'd love to take Harrells first year and use it as the tell all to his entire career so you can further advance your anti TT agenda but Harrell (and Thompson for taking him) will be judged on his whole career.

Lurker64
08-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Wow, someone who doesn't have their nose up Harrell's ass? Jolly wasn't a first round pick as wasn't toughted as being the second coming. Harrell was and he has been a major disappointment. I seriously doubt a year will do anything for him. He has his cash, the rest doesn't matter anymore. Hello Cleduis...wait no, Hunt actually played well before he got paid, my bad...

It's nice to know they let lazy fatasses with character issues wear #92 at Tennessee. Oh wait...

RashanGary
08-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Obviously Harrell made a mistake in not keeping up on his conditioning while rehabbing his injury. Hopefully he can improve his stamina and be more of a factor as the season goes on. The coaching staff is very big on off-season conditioning, and I'm sure they'll have him in an off-season program that will make next year much different.

Right. I really like what I saw from Harrell in college. He has big time potential and a lot of hustle. He's not in shape. He's rehabbing an injury. Next year will be the time to start judging Harrell. If he's sluggish and unspectacular next year, I start talking bust. Right now it's wait and see.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Though it is still early, Harrell is on track to becoming a defensive lineman first round dud like Jamaal Reynolds.

Ouch.

Deputy Nutz
08-21-2007, 11:49 PM
This is why I really don't agree with taking a defensive tackle in the first round. It seems it takes them two years to figure things out in the NFL.

Several top name defensive tackles drop from first round prospect to second day pick for a reason. Antaijj Hawthorne from the Badgers was supposed to go late in the first round, he dropped to the 6th round.

Same with that big tackle from michigan this year, some pegged him as a top 15 pick and he wasn't selected until the third round.

To risky

Partial
08-21-2007, 11:50 PM
This is why I really don't agree with taking a defensive tackle in the first round. It seems it takes them two years to figure things out in the NFL.

Several top name defensive tackles drop from first round prospect to second day pick for a reason. Antaijj Hawthorne from the Badgers was supposed to go late in the first round, he dropped to the 6th round.

Same with that big tackle from michigan this year, some pegged him as a top 15 pick and he wasn't selected until the third round.

To risky

I think in both cases it was the marijuana.

run pMc
08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
It's still early (and preseason at that). Give the kid some time.

He didn't play last year...I imagine he's just getting used to playing, and the speed of the pro game takes some adjustments as well. I don't expect him to be an All-Pro this year, but I do expect him to get plenty of snaps and improve as the season goes on. I think we'll see a big jump from now to game 10, and from now to next preseason.

He won't start. With the DL depth we have, he'd have to be lights out from day 1 to crack the starting rotation.

Packnut
08-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Harrell was and is a wasted pick. He was'nt needed. We have plenty of talent on our D line WITHOUT him. Also, it's not like we have any vets there that will need to be replaced. We have OTHER positions in much more need.

If your drafting a player that early in the draft without the intent to have him contribute in a major way, why not draft one of the top CB's and groom him as a replacement for Woodson or Harris?

Harrell had 1 very good season. How anyone can predict a future off of that is beyond me.

Brohm
08-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Same thing can be said about now. How can you judge the future and say he was a wasted pick? TT drafted whom he thought was the BPA (which many "pundits" say is the way to go). Time will tell if he will be a stud or be a bust. Going to need that time though.

TennesseePackerBacker
08-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Harrell was and is a wasted pick. He was'nt needed. We have plenty of talent on our D line WITHOUT him. Also, it's not like we have any vets there that will need to be replaced. We have OTHER positions in much more need.

If your drafting a player that early in the draft without the intent to have him contribute in a major way, why not draft one of the top CB's and groom him as a replacement for Woodson or Harris?

Harrell had 1 very good season. How anyone can predict a future off of that is beyond me.

Just give it a year or two, when Pickett has lost a step and we didn't resign Williams or traded him. You'll be glad Harrell was drafted, not to mention this kid is only going to get better. You want to know why players don't make it in the NFL? The #1 reason is work ethic, which is something Harrell has plenty of, I don't see how we do miss on this pick.

I forget sometimes I'm talking to some of the same homers that annointed Underwood this years starting safety.

Packnut
08-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Just give it a year or two, when Pickett has lost a step and we didn't resign Williams or traded him. You'll be glad Harrell was drafted, not to mention this kid is only going to get better. You want to know why players don't make it in the NFL? The #1 reason is work ethic, which is something Harrell has plenty of, I don't see how we do miss on this pick.

I forget sometimes I'm talking to some of the same homers that annointed Underwood this years starting safety.

Well, so far that "work ethic" has'nt been on display. Excuse me, but I think a 16th pick that received millions of dollars could have at least found time to ride the bike or swim or any thing to build cardio endurance.

I also believe that at this point in camp, the rust should be wearing off yet he consistently loses one on one drills to guys who will not make this team.

As for Underwood, I agree, there are some here who love to count on guys who have no consistent proof of production. It's the wishful thinking syndrome.

Merlin
08-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I love the eternal optimism:

"I really like what I saw from Harrell in college" - What, the one good season he actually played? Was that two or three years ago?

"It's nice to know they let lazy fatasses with character issues wear #92 at Tennessee. Oh wait..." - Just because the guy is your "best" starting tackle doesn't mean he is any good. White played DE btw...

"so you can further advance your anti TT agenda but Harrell (and Thompson for taking him) will be judged on his whole career." - My Anti-TT agenda? Oh I forgot, I am the only fan in the entire world who thinks 3T is a moron, yup my agenda alright. Won't be judged on his whole career, players seldom are when they are a bust. But then again, it's my agenda and no one else supports the "theory" that Harrell is a wasted pick, my bad....Idiot...

"It's still early (and preseason at that). Give the kid some time. " - He has had a full year to get ready to play. He didn't, how much more time does he need? Two, Three, Ten years ala Rodgers?

"TT drafted whom he thought was the BPA" - With Brady Quinn on the board, Harrell was NOT the BPA by any stretch of the imagination. So much for the BPA theory. That's the same "theory" he used with the Rodgers pick, wasn't BPA then either. You don't fall that far if you are the BPA. But then again, 3T knows all right? You don't question his BPA logic with Quinn on the board? You my friend have no clue what BPA means.

"The #1 reason is work ethic, which is something Harrell has plenty of, I don't see how we do miss on this pick. " - Work ethic? Because he says the right things? The proof is in the pudding and in his case there is a lot of it. You can spout work ethic all day but when it gets right down to it, he is talking the talk but is crawling the walk.

Zool
08-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Just plain wow.

Brohm
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
So much for the BPA theory? How many QBs can you have on the field at the same time?

One. We got that with Farve. Add in an invested 1st round pick in Rodgers (yes I know some want to crucify him) and there is no reason to take a QB early. Nevermind that Rodgers was picked because Farve couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to continue playing. Need a commitment or you need to protect yourself, Rodgers was just that...protection.

If you want to help your CURRENT QB now, you definatley don't want to keep drafting his potential replacement, that's one way to sink the team (think Millen with his multiple first round WR busts).

When was Quinn picked again?

I understand completely what BPA is. I also understand that NEED does play a role to some extent (i.e. if Lynch dropped, I'm confident he would be a Packer right now). You can't be totally strict in the BPA philosophy, else you would have 13 QB's and no OL :shock: (strictly an example)

retailguy
08-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Right. I really like what I saw from Harrell in college. He has big time potential and a lot of hustle. He's not in shape. He's rehabbing an injury. Next year will be the time to start judging Harrell. If he's sluggish and unspectacular next year, I start talking bust. Right now it's wait and see.

You know Justin, you really ought to keep notes of the things you say about a player. When he was drafted, you were totally on board and said many things that indicated you expected BIG things this season.

Then he shows up out of shape (which makes sense since he only played THREE games his senior year), now, you're backpedaling and saying "he can't be judged" until next season. BS!

The guy is a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. While its shortsighted to expect big things the first year, he ought to be able to show up in shape for the millions of dollars invested in his fat ass.

Swigging the kool-aid and expecting great things next year is fine, I have the same expectations, but being critical with those 'negativists' who question his commitment, talent, and usefullness to this team in 2007 is dirty pool.

Those things REALLY ARE in question right now, and those who have been critical of Harrell since the draft have more and more valid points each day as this fat ass circus drags on.

Face it, whether or not Harrell turns out be the best DT that has ever played the game, or the biggest bust in GB since Tony Mandarich, there are MANY first round picks who would've helped Packers more in 2007 than this guy will.

Partial
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
And while that is fine, playing for 2007 and only 2007 is narrow sighted.

TT picked the guy that will be the best packer for the next 8-10 years. Clearly he likes what he saw out of this guy a lot or he wouldn't have chosen him.

He is out of football shape RG. He does have the best physique of any of the DLinemen, though. Look at his bubble. He clearly knows how to lift and has done a lot of deadlifting. He has fantastic width.

BlueBrewer
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM

DO NOT FEAR THOUGH!!

HE IS STILL #1 ON THE DEPTH CHART SO YOU KNOW HE IS THE SHIT~

This is the dumbest statement that I have read all year.

packrulz
08-22-2007, 12:29 PM
I think Harrell's been working hard, he's coming off an injury, it's going to take time for him to adjust to the pros. Calling him a bust after the 2nd preseason game is stupid.

cheesner
08-22-2007, 12:32 PM

Well, so far that "work ethic" has'nt been on display. Excuse me, but I think a 16th pick that received millions of dollars could have at least found time to ride the bike or swim or any thing to build cardio endurance.

I also believe that at this point in camp, the rust should be wearing off yet he consistently loses one on one drills to guys who will not make this team.

As for Underwood, I agree, there are some here who love to count on guys who have no consistent proof of production. It's the wishful thinking syndrome.There is 'in shape' and then there is 'football shape'. Every winter I played hockey, and every summer I hiked mountains 6 days/week (it was a part of my job). Each time I transitioned from one to the other, it took me several weeks to get into 'shape.' Although I had low body fat, and was ripped, it didn't matter. Slightly different muscle groups I guess.

I wonder, did you panic about Hawk last year about this time also? He did nothing to distinguish himself in camp or the first 1/2 season. At the least Harrell will be very good - and he has the potential to be something very special.

Deputy Nutz: The tackle from MI was Alan Branch to AZ. He was the 1st pick in the 2nd rd. He was there because HE was lazy. Took plays off and was known not to practice with much enthusiasm. Compare that to Harrell who loves football and is a workout warrior.

Partial
08-22-2007, 12:40 PM
I think Nutzy was refering to Gabe Watson who fell in the draft last year.

Carolina_Packer
08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Way too early to make any judgements on this one. He may have been drafted in the first round, but he's definitely a guy more for the future. Yes, we could have said, Ah, we're good at DT, let's draft (insert player here for more immediate gratification), but I don't think TT was lying when he said he had him rated high. Just because his board does not match Mel Kiper's or Street and Smith's Draft Guide, doesn't mean TT is wrong. We have to wait and see how it plays out.

Mel Kiper and Street and Smith and whoever else do not publish guides or post in their websites all the projections they got wrong from two or three years ago. They get to make picks in a vacuum and never get held accountable. TT and staff have to live everyday with the picks they make, and so I'm glad they have their own evaluation methods.

Brohm
08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Funny thing is, Kiper said this guy would have been a top 10 pick "IF" he hadn't got hurt. :shock: I honestly had no idea who the guy was, but definately felt better when I heard other teams (Denver, couple others can't remember :oops: ) were looking to draft him (I think Denver was looking to trade up a bit too).

retailguy
08-22-2007, 01:44 PM

TT picked the guy that will be the best packer for the next 8-10 years. Clearly he likes what he saw out of this guy a lot or he wouldn't have chosen him.

He is out of football shape RG. He does have the best physique of any of the DLinemen, though. Look at his bubble. He clearly knows how to lift and has done a lot of deadlifting. He has fantastic width.

Partial, open your eyes and see the BIG picture.

This is not about Harrell, his potential or the future. I agree with what you say about him. I've seen his college highlights, I see his potential, and quite honestly, I'm not really looking at his "physique", I leave that to the female rats, but knock yourself out.... :wink:

During free agency, when I and others were complaining and frustrated, we were told, "just wait for the draft". We did. Then we draft Harrell, and many of us said, great, but he didn't play his senior year, we might not get much in 2007, and DT is one of the strongest positions on the team. Then, we were ridiculed for that. We were told over and over, don't worry, he'll be ready. Then, he shows up out of shape. We're told, don't worry, by the start of the season, he'll be ready to go, and will displace Williams by week 6 at the latest.

Now, he's still rehabbing, which many of us negativists pointed out, comparing to Gilbert Brown and others as to the length of the rehab and the difficulty and the strength loss... and on and on....

Partial, I NEVER expected the guy to contribute in 2007. I was told countless times I was wrong. Now it looks as if I'm right. Those that told me I was wrong, including, but not limited to you, are now telling everyone that those expectations 'were unrealistic' but somehow, we're still wrong, even though we are probably right.

Just admit that you and others have had to backtrack your overly "optimistic predictions". Sometimes you just get it wrong.

Maybe you'll be right in the long run, maybe you won't, but you ARE NOT right for 2007. He's not going to be the "force" we all hoped for in 2007.

Partial
08-22-2007, 01:48 PM
I am still waiting to hear who would be a better draft pick? Jarvis Moss perhaps, but I am getting damn sick of hearing about everybody wanting Olsen.

That guy will be the worst of the first round picks. He was terrible in college, and like Donnell Washingston he will be a workout warrior and thats it.

He cannot block, he is inconsistent, and isn't big enough to be considered a tight end. He plays football like a little 7 year old girl.

Zool
08-22-2007, 01:49 PM

Partial, open your eyes and see the BIG picture.

This is not about Harrell, his potential or the future. I agree with what you say about him. I've seen his college highlights, I see his potential, and quite honestly, I'm not really looking at his "physique", I leave that to the female rats, but knock yourself out.... :wink:

During free agency, when I and others were complaining and frustrated, we were told, "just wait for the draft". We did. Then we draft Harrell, and many of us said, great, but he didn't play his senior year, we might not get much in 2007, and DT is one of the strongest positions on the team. Then, we were ridiculed for that. We were told over and over, don't worry, he'll be ready. Then, he shows up out of shape. We're told, don't worry, by the start of the season, he'll be ready to go, and will displace Williams by week 6 at the latest.

Now, he's still rehabbing, which many of us negativists pointed out, comparing to Gilbert Brown and others as to the length of the rehab and the difficulty and the strength loss... and on and on....

Partial, I NEVER expected the guy to contribute in 2007. I was told countless times I was wrong. Now it looks as if I'm right. Those that told me I was wrong, including, but not limited to you, are now telling everyone that those expectations 'were unrealistic' but somehow, we're still wrong, even though we are probably right.

Just admit that you and others have had to backtrack your overly "optimistic predictions". Sometimes you just get it wrong.

Maybe you'll be right in the long run, maybe you won't, but you ARE NOT right for 2007. He's not going to be the "force" we all hoped for in 2007.

By this same token, if the kid steps up and becomes a stud this season, will you come on here and say that you're wrong?

I have no idea if he will, but the infighting on this board is getting to me. Not you specifically, but you are reasonable enough to let me post this here without a 64 paragraph diatribe on how big an idiot I am.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I am still waiting to hear who would be a better draft pick? Jarvis Moss perhaps, but I am getting damn sick of hearing about everybody wanting Olsen.

That guy will be the worst of the first round picks. He was terrible in college, and like Donnell Washingston he will be a workout warrior and thats it.

He cannot block, he is inconsistent, and isn't big enough to be considered a tight end. He plays football like a little 7 year old girl.

As of now, Nelson is much better. Long run? who knows.

Partial
08-22-2007, 02:11 PM

As of now, Nelson is much better. Long run? who knows.

I haven't heard of Reggie Nelson doing anything. We'll see tomorrow.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Nelson was injured in their last preseason game. High ankle sprain, I believe. Sounds like it's not a day-to-day thing either.

GBRulz
08-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Because DT wasn't one of our biggest needs this year, people are going to be down on the JH pick unless he plays his rookie year like a multi-year Pro Bowler. Personally, I don't agree with the pick - I wish we would have traded with Cleveland or done something offensively, but it is what it is. Unless you are Miss Cleo :lol: - how can you say if a pick is a bust or not after 2 preseason games? If I remember correctly, I think there were alot of doubts about Hawk early in camp, too.

Ballboy
08-22-2007, 02:26 PM

According to WSCR and AM1000 out of Chicago, Olsen has caught just about everything that thrown at him(Grossman can't hit the broad side of a barn) So what, he can't block....can Lee.....Harris....Alcorn? From my understanding, Franks is really the only good blocker out of the bunch. I'm not sure where you get the inconsistent stuff from. Saying he plays like a little girl is a little harsh.

retailguy
08-22-2007, 02:27 PM
By this same token, if the kid steps up and becomes a stud this season, will you come on here and say that you're wrong?

I have no idea if he will, but the infighting on this board is getting to me. Not you specifically, but you are reasonable enough to let me post this here without a 64 paragraph diatribe on how big an idiot I am.

Absolutely I will. I have no problem at all admitting when I'm wrong. If the kid doesn't step up, I don't think that's a bad thing, hell, he's a rookie and he was injured the bulk of last year. But, all of us, regardless of which side of the fence we're on, have to admit that several people here were banging the rookie drum for the kid. Now, they're backpedaling faster than Michael Vick.

But, as you know, I've taken an extreme amount of flak for my lack of optimism related to the 2007 season. While it is still way early, there are glimpses that I wasn't such a damn fool after all.

I don't intend to gloat, because gloating means the Packers suck this year, and I'll NEVER enjoy that, but I'm going to "gently" try to point out where I was accurate.

There will be no lack of people pointing out if I got it wrong.... and I'll be here acknowledging that too if it happens.

Brohm
08-22-2007, 02:29 PM
However Harrell turns out, I definatley think it is a good idea to build and maintain depth in the trenches. Our lack there of is what ultimately led to our demise. I think Harrell and Barbre are just that type of pick: to maintain what is and/or becoming a strength on this team. A good OL=good rushing=opens up the passing game. A good DL=run stuffing/pass rush= takes the pressure off the CBs=more defensive playmaking opportunities. All starts in the trenches.

Partial
08-22-2007, 03:05 PM

According to WSCR and AM1000 out of Chicago, Olsen has caught just about everything that thrown at him(Grossman can't hit the broad side of a barn) So what, he can't block....can Lee.....Harris....Alcorn? From my understanding, Franks is really the only good blocker out of the bunch. I'm not sure where you get the inconsistent stuff from. Saying he plays like a little girl is a little harsh.

It's one thing to catch balls in practice. He won several best hands competitions before the draft, I don't question his hands. I question his love of the game and concentration because he had a lot of drops and very little production at tight end U. He is a big receiver essentially.

He cannot block. He is inconsistent during games. He is a player I am very glad that Bears wasted a pick on.

He climbed draft boards big time because he is fast. I would expect a wide receiver to run a 4.5 in workouts, personally. He isn't tall, or thick.

Donald Lee has been surprisingly good at blocking this pre-season so far. I'm not concerned about that. However, Donald Lee was a player we picked up after he was cut from another team. If Olson only turns out to be as good as Lee he was drafted far too high and a wasted pick.

Brandon494
08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
You guys are so quick to judge. Already some of you idiots are saying Harrell is a bust and he has not even played one regular season game yet. How about you wait until the guy actually gets into shape and has a few games under his belt before you start pulling the Jamall Reynolds card on him.

Zool
08-22-2007, 03:14 PM

Absolutely I will. I have no problem at all admitting when I'm wrong. If the kid doesn't step up, I don't think that's a bad thing, hell, he's a rookie and he was injured the bulk of last year. But, all of us, regardless of which side of the fence we're on, have to admit that several people here were banging the rookie drum for the kid. Now, they're backpedaling faster than Michael Vick.

But, as you know, I've taken an extreme amount of flak for my lack of optimism related to the 2007 season. While it is still way early, there are glimpses that I wasn't such a damn fool after all.

I don't intend to gloat, because gloating means the Packers suck this year, and I'll NEVER enjoy that, but I'm going to "gently" try to point out where I was accurate.

There will be no lack of people pointing out if I got it wrong.... and I'll be here acknowledging that too if it happens.
You've taken maybe more than your fair share, but you've given out too. I guess that what happens when you fight the good fight.

I can't get a good feel for this team. Last year I guessed 7-9 but thought I was probably a game high. This year I want to say 9-7, but again I think I might be shooting too high by 2 games. 9-7 wouldnt shock me in the least, but neither would 7-9.

Hell in the NFC 9-7 might just get you a wild card game. I don't care who you are or how down you are on the Pack the last couple seasons, a WC game would wipe out a ton of bad taste.

Partial
08-22-2007, 03:17 PM
I am thinking 10-6. With their monsterous schedule that will turn out to be pretty damn good.

Zool
08-22-2007, 03:18 PM
You guys are so quick to judge. Already some of you idiots are saying Harrell is a bust and he has not even played one regular season game yet. How about you wait until the guy actually gets into shape and has a few games under his belt before you start pulling the Jamall Reynolds card on him.

My point is made for me. People see all the arguing(not heated discussions) and name calling and think "nothing much to see here".

Zool
08-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I am thinking 10-6. With their monsterous schedule that will turn out to be pretty damn good.

Partial if they go 10-6 you can spank my ass and call me Betty. Then at least you can stop asking me to let you do it.

retailguy
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Partial if they go 10-6 you can spank my ass and call me Betty. Then at least you can stop asking me to let you do it.

10-6 would be a great record even with a weak schedule which they don't have. that is beyond my wildest dreams.

Partial
08-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Well, I figure they will win 4 or 5 of the division games. I think they'll drop the roadies to the Lions and Bears.

I think they will beat Carolina, Oakland, and Washington at home. That's 7-8 wins.

Between the road games @NY, @Denver, @KC (tough place to play), and @St.Louis, I think they're a better team than St. Louis (they will need their corners healthy to win this game), and a better team than KC (however it is very tough to win at Arrowhead), and maybe NY too. I could see us winning at NY as well. I think we take 2 out of these 4 games. That puts us at 9-10.

Hopefully, we get lucky and beat the Eagles or the Chargers. That's how I came up with 10-6.

Our schedule is pretty ridiculous this year. Lots of tough road games.

Zool
08-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Partial, you're optimism is almost contagious is so genuine. I just dont see it happening. Young teams lose games they should win and vise versa. Bookmark this thread for December.

Partial
08-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Partial, you're optimism is almost contagious is so genuine. I just dont see it happening. Young teams lose games they should win and vise versa. Bookmark this thread for December.

Well, we did predict a difference of only one game. I think they'll squeek another one out. They've got some more depth at the key positions where there players have historically had a hard time staying healthy (Tauscher, Clifton), DLine, and CB.

They really need Brandon Jackson to be a good player and get 4 yards/carry. If they can do that consistently and have 3rd and short I think they'll be alright.

Last year they threw the ball entirely too much. 8-8 is probably the most likely scenario based on looking at the division. 9-7 would be mean they are getting it done at home where they have follied in years past. 10-6 means they stepped up against a good team and won in addition to winning their key home games. 7-9 or less would be underachieving in my opinion.

We'll see how it turns out. We should get a formal prediction and breakdown thread for the upcoming year and see how it comes true.

Zool
08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Agreed. After the final PS game and cuts, bust out a 2007 PR record prediction thread.

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 05:10 PM

The way I see it, some of the people who think Harell will suck are probably idiots and some of the people who think he will be good are probably idiots

Surely we can all agree that the making of an idiot has nothing to do with Justin Harrell or your viewpoint on the Green Bay Packers :lol:

Fred's Slacks
08-22-2007, 05:16 PM
I think we have to cut Harrell a little more slack. I've never played d-line but I can understand how riding a bike or running on a treadmill doesn't get d-linemen in football shape. Its very difficult to simulate the collisions and the stress you get in the trenches. The only way to get that is through practice and games which we know he hadn't been in for nine months. He was also very limited in the weightlifting he could do in that time. I have no reason to believe he won't get there and it always seems to take dt's a season or two to find their groove.

So, yeah, we probably won't get the results we hoped for this year, but if he truly was the BPA when we picked him then I am glad we did. We may not need him now, but very well could in a year or two.

MJZiggy
08-22-2007, 05:16 PM

Can I have a turn? I've been saying 10-6 all offseason.

Partial
08-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Agreed. After the final PS game and cuts, bust out a 2007 PR record prediction thread.

*smack* Betty! *smack* Betty!

ooooo

*smack* Betty!

swede
08-22-2007, 06:42 PM

I hope you're not implying that I can't be an idiot without saying that Harrell is a bust! :evil:

I haven't seen Harrell in person. On TV he looks soft and goofy, but then so did Mark Tauscher and we know how he turned out. As long as he works hard and remains coachable I think he'll get snaps in games and I'll bet he bats down at least three passes this year--he has a ridiculous knack for doing that. The guy doesn't seem to have a big push and he's always getting beaten in the one on ones in camp and yet he seems to be disruptive in an unorthodox way. Hey, if he's as good as a guy like Santana Dotson was he'll end up being an okay pick if not necessarily a genius pick for that spot in the draft.

I remember seeing Jamaal Reynolds in training camp. He walked right by me with his shirt off and he so did not look like a defensive end. He was about the same size and build as Terrell Owens. No flipping way he weighed 265! He might have weighed 245. How could Wolf/Sherman have made that blunder?

Charles Woodson
08-22-2007, 08:16 PM

*smack* Betty! *smack* Betty!

ooooo

*smack* Betty!

Am i the only one that thinks Partial enjoyed that a lil too much?

Zool
08-23-2007, 12:23 AM

Can I have a turn? I've been saying 10-6 all offseason.

Sure give it a go. After the first couple it'll be numb anyways.

Partial
08-23-2007, 07:45 AM
The Giants are not going to be very good this year imo. I think we can almost assume they'll start out 1-1 or 2-0. I realize it's an away game which is always tough, but lets break this down:

We have a very good pass rush and Eli does not handle pressure well. He has a knack for throwing off his back foot when the heat is coming and just kind of tosses it up.

Their running game is going to be interesting. They lost Tiki, but I believe they have their entire OL returning and that will certainly help Jacobs. Clearly, this will take a step back though.

Plaxico Burress hasn't played all of camp. He has been nursing a high ankle sprain and said in an interview he is going to tough it out but expects it to be sore for a few more weeks. If he's not getting a good break off the line, our pass rush is going to get to Eli and wreak havoc.

Shockey will be good. He always is. We can handle him, though.

Their defense is overrated. Their corners are getting old. Their ends are overrated. Strahan will probably be playing by that time but certainly won't be in usual pro-bowl form.

Our specialists are far better than theirs.

I like our chances.

RashanGary
08-23-2007, 09:22 AM
I agree with your view of the Giants, Partial. They are very similar to the declining Packer teams of a couple years ago. They had good talent, but it's aging and their window is closing fast. I wouldnt' be suprised to see a 6-10 year out of them.

Charles Woodson
08-23-2007, 02:39 PM
The Giants are not going to be very good this year imo. I think we can almost assume they'll start out 1-1 or 2-0. I realize it's an away game which is always tough, but lets break this down:

We have a very good pass rush and Eli does not handle pressure well. He has a knack for throwing off his back foot when the heat is coming and just kind of tosses it up.

Their running game is going to be interesting. They lost Tiki, but I believe they have their entire OL returning and that will certainly help Jacobs. Clearly, this will take a step back though.

Plaxico Burress hasn't played all of camp. He has been nursing a high ankle sprain and said in an interview he is going to tough it out but expects it to be sore for a few more weeks. If he's not getting a good break off the line, our pass rush is going to get to Eli and wreak havoc.

Their defense is overrated. Their corners are getting old. Their ends are overrated. Strahan will probably be playing by that time but certainly won't be in usual pro-bowl form.

I like our chances.

I did watch there last preason game, the one person who stuck out to me was Steve smith from usc. In the time he played i thought the 3-4 catches he had were pretty nice ones.

Partial
08-23-2007, 02:45 PM

I like our chances.

I did watch there last preason game, the one person who stuck out to me was Steve smith from usc. In the time he played i thought the 3-4 catches he had were pretty nice ones.

I think he got hurt this week. Don't know how serious it is, though.

Charles Woodson
08-23-2007, 05:03 PM

I like our chances.

I think he got hurt this week. Don't know how serious it is, though.

It was a concussion