PDA

View Full Version : Is HAWK unable to practice?

gbpackfan
05-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Steelers | Holmes unable to practice until June
Mon, 1 May 2006 18:25:43 -0700

The Associated Press reports Pittsburgh Steelers WR Santonio Holmes will not be able to practice until June due to an NFL-NCAA agreement. The agreement states college players cannot take part in NFL spring workouts until his college has held its graduation. Most schools hold graduation in early May, but Ohio State's will be held in mid-June. By that time, the Steelers will have finished their 14 coaching sessions that follow their May 13 to May 15 minicamp, which Holmes is allowed to attend. It is uncertain if the delay will hurt Holmes' chances of becoming a started, but Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger said the spring practices gave him a jump start in the team's system.

Does this hold true for AJ Hawk as well? Never heard of this before.

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Whew....I thought maybe he was injured.

Brohm
05-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Not sure about Hawk, but this happened to Barnett and Lee as well when Sherman drafted them.

lynn dickey
05-01-2006, 10:27 PM
At his press conference he said he was going to be here this weekend.

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I thought he was already there.

GBRulz
05-01-2006, 10:35 PM
He will be here for this weekends minicamp, but NCAA rules prohibit him from partaking in the 2nd May minicamp because he is still in school.

Which I don't quite get, if he's in school later this month, why isn't he in school now?

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 10:42 PM
He is. I know (a small) part of the reason he didn't go to NY was that he had school, but I thought he was going to head up to GB right after the draft, and could have sworn I saw a picture of him and his fiance walking down the tunnel at Lambeau. But he does still have school. It's a good thing I'm not the one in charge of his schedule.

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
What are the dates and times of the mini camp? How many days does it run?

GBRulz
05-02-2006, 12:01 AM
He did fly here right after the draft, there are pictures of him on packers.com from Saturday.

Packer mini-camp dates: (FYI, NC - May camps are closed to the public)

As a new head coach, McCarthy is permitted by the league to conduct an extra mini-camp. While many teams opt to schedule that additional mini-camp in March, McCarthy instead will hold both mini-camps after the April 29-30 NFL Draft. Installing a new offense, the coach wants all his players - rookies, newcomers and returning veterans - to start from the same point. No one will be left behind.

That decision also means plenty of Packers football in the months of May and June. Before training camp begins in late July, Green Bay will scatter six practices over two mini-camps and utilize the NFL's allotted 14 days of organized team activities (OTA). Practice dates:

Friday, May 5 (first mini-camp)
Saturday, May 6 (first mini-camp)
Sunday, May 7 (first mini-camp)
Friday, May 19 (second mini-camp)
Saturday, May 20 (second mini-camp)
Sunday, May 21 (second mini-camp)
Wednesday, May 31 (OTA)
Thursday, June 1 (OTA)
Friday, June 2 (OTA)
Monday, June 5 (OTA)

Tuesday, June 6 (OTA)
Thursday, June 8 (OTA)
Friday, June 9 (OTA)
Monday, June 12 (OTA)
Tuesday, June 13 (OTA)
Thursday, June 15 (OTA)
Friday, June 16 (OTA)
Monday, June 19 (OTA)
Tuesday, June 20 (OTA)
Wednesday, June 21 (OTA)

Mini-camp practices and OTA sessions will be held inside the Don Hutson Center until the weather is sufficiently good to move them to one of the two outdoor fields. Unfortunately, for space reasons, the team cannot open Hutson Center practices to the public.

The team will announce specific practice times as the mini-camps near. Training camp dates also will be announced at a later date.

RashanGary
05-02-2006, 12:26 AM
The media will fill us in I'm sure.....I can't wait to hear about these young fella's.

KYPack
05-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Thought I'd bump, instead of starting a new thread.

Hawk already has graduated, which apparently makes him eligible for pre-June practice.

This is a bizarre rule, as it prohibits Juniors that leave early from practicing until after their schools grad day.

Hawk should be at the first mini.

Deputy Nutz
05-03-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't think Hawk has graduated yet. He still has a 5 credit statistics class he has to finish for his degree.

MJZiggy
05-03-2006, 09:48 AM
I don't think Hawk has graduated yet. He still has a 5 credit statistics class he has to finish for his degree.

Yech. What's his major that he needs a beast of a class like that? He did cite having classwork to do as one of the many reasons he didn't go to New York.

VegasPackFan
05-03-2006, 01:44 PM
I wish I could remember where I read it, but I did read that Hawk will graduate early and not miss any camps.

If I can find that source, I will link to it - read it last night.

Little Whiskey
05-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Yech. What's his major...?

FOOTBALL

VegasPackFan
05-03-2006, 01:51 PM
It was posted on the profootballtalk rumormill story about santonio not able to practice with Pitt.

Deputy Nutz
05-03-2006, 02:52 PM

Yech. What's his major that he needs a beast of a class like that? He did cite having classwork to do as one of the many reasons he didn't go to New York.

I believe that it is Criminal Justice, or Criminology.

Harlan Huckleby
05-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Sounds like an absurd rule by the NCAA.

Now, I think the NFL should be flexible in allowing players to finish school in the spring. The NFL and NCAA should negotiate a general understanding the college players won't be pressured to drop out of school.

The college players, actually former college players, are not slaves to the NCAA!! So what if a player wants to attend a minicamp in May? His former college coach has no control over him. The school can't permit a free person from traveling across state lines. Who would the NCAA punish if the kid went to minicamp in May?

I like the intention of the NCAA rule, but it is absurdly authoritarian to think they should control the behavior of exiting football players.

Murphy37
05-03-2006, 03:27 PM

Perhaps I could tutor him, I got a "D" in my stats class back when I was in college.

Harlan Huckleby
05-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Shamrock to the rescue!

KYPack
05-04-2006, 09:51 AM

Perhaps I could tutor him, I got a "D" in my stats class back when I was in college.

I'm down with this, Murph.

Statisics and Organic Chemistry were so hard, I had headaches when I left the classroom and went to work at my bartending job!