PDA

View Full Version : Tom Pelissero Chat Tuesday Night

Partial
08-22-2007, 12:29 AM
It's Wednesday morning 8/15 as I write this, listening to 1130 AM Radio, I think CNN. Giving some Minnesota voices up here a lot of pleasure to watch BF mouth off to the press about his team again. (Tom my actual question is in Para. #5.)

When I read his latest distancing statements, echoing those of last season, then in the draft, and now here, in more than one interview/press conference, at the very START of a new season, it makes me squirm with embarrassment. It's really really hard to criticize him for anything, he's done so much for the game. But he isn't doing it now, and people need to tell him!

How can a man who, through many seasons, was the very embodiment of professionalism, the real team leader (not just a mouth), someone who valued bonding with his guys, respected both written and unwritten rules, stood up for his teammates, for self-restraint, for integrity, for personal responsibility, etc., behave in this undisciplined, tactless, me-first and only, it's all somebody else's fault, spoiled teenagery manner?

Team spokesmen, some reporters are glossing over his lousy numbers and bad attitude, while being much harder on the jittery, semi-knowledgeable rookies and sophomores who are trying hard with much less experience and most with much less talent. I believe it was in his first press conference this year that he said something like, "... it's disappoint-ing when I worked my butt off getting in shape..." It's not always and exclusively about BF. Some of his teammates are actually fighting for jobs, for their starts, for their chances. How many times in his career has BF ever had to do that? Once? Twice?

Who's in charge over there? GM? Coaches? Or one self-indulgent player? Does ANYBODY talk to him about this stuff?

I've loved Brett and respected him for years, and will continue to do so, because I respect the fantastic things he's done and I believe he can pull back from this, if he wants to, can resume his mature personality. Overall, he's been superb. But he needs to honor his own records as a player and a person with the class and courage he's shown again and again over the years. This is not the way. It looks as if somewhere along the line, the excessive deference, the money, the whole fame package has eroded the sign of the Packers that seemed almost to have been seared into his soul. If you peered inside right now, all you'd probably see is the BRETT FAVRE name, with a little trademark symbol next to it.

Right now, the Leader of the Pack is embarrassing himself and his own team. Nobody's perfect. Somebody needs to tell him that he isn't either. Apparently he's forgotten.

I'm amazed at how much it hurts to write this.

TOM PELISSERO: Four pages of questions? Seriously? Alright, we better get going.

Nice novel, Squirt, and thanks for pointing out your question. The coaches and management are in charge in their own capacities. What you have to remember is that whenever Favre speaks, he rambles. And rambles. And rambles. That's not a criticism, but if you pick out a sentence here or there, you could think he's still digging at his teammates.

Really, these guys know they don't have experience. They certainly aren't former All-Pros, like the guy Favre wanted. But I think everyone has moved on -- at least for the moment.

Although it looks like he will potential be a good safety in the NFL has there been any consideration given to lining Rouse up as a receiver?

TOM PELISSERO: No chance in (deleted).

How likely is it that the team would outright cut Manuel or Miree if they don't keep their starting jobs via injury or ineffectiveness?
How likely is it that any of these former up-and-comers will get cut -- Cole, Underwood, Coston?

TOM PELISSERO: I think it's entirely possible both guys could be gone. Manuel might have a better chance of sticking, simply because I'm not convinced the coaches believe Aaron Rouse is ready to step in, but $1.26 million is a hefty salary for a backup. If Miree doesn't get it done the next two preseason games, he's gone.

Cole and Coston probably have 90 percent chances for making the roster right now. Underwood ... well, you know what happened there.

Bishop seems to have a spot locked up, but has any of the other young LBs (Rory Johnson in particular) flashed enough to make the team? Tracy White seems pretty brutal from scrimmage, but is his special teams play really that impressive enough to earn him a roster spot?

TOM PELISSERO: Rory Johnson had come on recently, but he was off all the starting special teams today. He could turn up on the practice squad.

White is on every special team and, as of now, makes this team.

Substitutions during games have been varied.

Does spending as much time as the Packers do evaluating players and setting a depth chart steal playing time away from getting units to gel working together?

Will this yet again contribute to a slow regular season start due to lack of unit preparation?

TOM PELISSERO: I think there's some validity to your point. It does surprise me at times how liberally they rotate corners and safeties in behind the starting LBs, and vice versa. But they're trying to sort out young players, and the best way to do that is to know who can hack when they're running with the big guns. I think it's a better plan than, say, chucking Aaron Rouse into the lineup when Nick Collins gets hurt and crossing your fingers he can communicate effectively with Nick Barnett and company.

Is following preseason games meaningless? I mean last year New Orleans looked horrible and the Colts always have a bad record in the preseason. Is it possible that coaches hold back using their bread-and-butter plays until the regular season starts?

TOM PELISSERO: The preseason isn't meaningless, especially if you want to know who is going to sew up spots 47 through 53, as well as any up-for-grabs starting spots. But yes, coaches generally go vanilla.

One player who has cought my eye big time is Tramon Williams, i thought he was the best DB in the scrimmage and was solid in the pre season game, he hits like Brian Dawkins and is decent in coverage. So i ask, why is no one talking about him? and with our current strong saftey woes, why has he not been given a look at saftey? Bigby had two guys bounce of his shoulders trying to hit against the steelers, but ive never seen anyone bounce of Tramon Williams, i bet Chris Francies didnt even know his name after the hit in the scrimmage.

If no one steps up at Saftey, do you see the packers giving him a look?

TOM PELISSERO: Tramon Williams seems to have some versatility -- he had some big hits on Family Night, and I didn't know he could return a punt until his 20-yarder Saturday. But he's the scrawniest guy on the roster (5-11, 182) and would need to bulk up considerably even to be an effective special teamer. Whacking Chris Francies doesn't earn anybody a medal.

A few days ago I was reading one of the last fan/reporter chat transcripts, I can't remember if it was Mike or Pete or who it was. One of the questions asked was if there was any consideration to upgrading the tight end position before the regular season gets underway. The reporter responded by saying he expected the Packers to add another tight end off of the waiver wire.

I have 2 questions:

1. I was wondering if you know of any tight ends that could be cut before the season and who the Packers might consider.

2. Also, are there any other players who you could picture being cut and having a positive influence on the Packers roster?

TOM PELISSERO: I honestly can't say I've broken down tight end depth charts around the league. If you're looking for running backs, keep an eye on Buffalo and Minnesota. The Bills added two rookies and basically have to cut a veteran, and the Vikings' corps is overcrowded after the addition of Adrian Peterson.

We have had a long line of people trying to make the grade at safety position..Roman, Manuel etc..These guys seem to be good players till they get to GB and then they ar garbage..Maybe its our system, maybe we are asking to much of the position. Maybe our staff has to rework its idea of how the field is to be covered..When ever there is a big play they say it was a break down at safety, he was out of position or whatever..I think LeRoy Butler would be average in this system...Could this be possible??Thanks, Bob

TOM PELISSERO: At first, Bob, I thought you were asking whether LeRoy Butler was planning a comeback. That would have been the question of the night.

Safety is tough to judge from the outside, especially when you're talking about zone coverage. It's difficult to tell who failed to communicate a call, who didn't hold their leverage, etc. Safeties don't get beat one-on-one unless for some reason they line up over a receiver -- which Packers safeties generally don't do.

Take Santonio Holmes' 49-yard reception in the Pittsburgh game. Marviel Underwood (RIP) misjudged the ball and Atari Bigby also was in the area, but really, that's Will Blackmon's coverage. You can fault Bigby for bouncing off Walter Young on the Steelers' touchdown in that game, but you can't judge coverage unless you know what coverage they're in.

Hey Tom, love your insight. What do you see in Mike McCarthy and his changes to practices and off-season programs that differ from Mike Sherman's? It seems the proverbial "monkey on our back" has been likened to rough early season success for...I don't know how long now.

TOM PELISSERO: Good work buttering me up, Eskymo.

McCarthy's approach to the offseason in particular is relatively unique. By installing the offense and defense over the course of minicamps and OTAs, McCarthy is able to scale back training camp practices -- giving players Wednesdays off, avoiding back-to-back days with two practices, etc. The same held true in the offseason lifting program, when players had long weekends and veterans got priority lifting times. We'll see whether this pays off in September and beyond.

During Coach Mike's comments, he mentioned the team not getting it done at "pad level" during the preseason contest. What exactly does this mean? Is he talking mainly at the offensive line blocking phase of the game?

TOM PELISSERO: It goes for just about everyone, and it has to do with leverage. The lower you are to the ground, the more you harness your inertia. If offensive linemen play too high, they're susceptible to bull rushes. If running backs run too high, it's easier to slow their momentum. And so on.

What's going to happen to the kicker who loses the training camp battle? They both seem like good kickers, and it would be a shame to just cut one of them. Also, we may need a back-up kicker given how much work they are doing in camp. Any chance Crosby ends up on the practice squad?

TOM PELISSERO: The Packers would love to trade the loser of the battle, but the other 31 teams (most of whom aren't looking for a kicker anyway) know Rayner or Crosby will be on the open market Sept. 1.

I jokingly asked Mike Stock whether they could keep two kickers, and his response was to shake his head and say, "Don't even go there." Zero chance Crosby ends up on the practice squad; someone would claim him off waivers first.

Tom,

What do you think about the packers keeping only two qb and having Martin or Thompson on the practice squad? If need be we could use Caryle Holiday as a third option. Also, how come this scenario has not come up in questioning with McCarthy?

Thanks,

TOM PELISSERO: It's a distinct possibility, especially because Thompson is awfully raw and Martin hasn't exactly been Mr. Consistency in practice. Carlyle Holiday should be active on game day and obviously played some QB, so he'd be a candidate to be the emergency No. 3.

Hi Tom,

I was just wondering who you think will win the 4th reciever spot, assuming the competition goes down to Holiday and Martin. Do you see either of these players having a far greater upside than the other? Do you see one of them ever moving up to anything more than the 4th spot reciever?

Also, I know this is not the most important thing at all, but out of curiosity, what type of speed does Holiday poses? Do you know his 40 meter dash time? Can you guesstimate it?

TOM PELISSERO: They're different receivers, so I think the argument is moot. As of today, they would both make the team. Martin would be used more often in the red zone and Holiday in the middle of the field.

Holiday ran the 40 in 4.55 seconds at the '05 combine. I doubt he's gotten slower.

Hey Tom,

How do you feel about the Robert Ferguson release? Did he deserve it? And did you think he could have made an impact this season?

TOM PELISSERO: The Packers couldn't risk turning loose a talented young receiver to keep an older, higher-paid guy who gets hurt every year. He might have made an impact, but who knows for how long?

Tom - a lot of internet posts this week bashing Favre and hailing Rodgers at QB, especially after Rodgers nice performance against the Steeler backups.

As someone that doesn't get to see how the young Packer offensive players interact with each QB every day, what's been your assessment? Are the young receivers and lineman actually more comfortable with Rodgers since he's been at all the practices, OTAs, etc... and is in their age group whereas Favre is almost a generation older than his teammates and has missed OTA sessions and some training camp sessions. Comments have been made how Brett does look like he's having as much fun and he wasn't his usual self at his last press conference. What's the scoop?

Favre and the number 1's did have a pathetic showing against Pitt but Favre has played 16 years in the NFL, its not like he forgot how to play QB.

TOM PELISSERO: Favre is what he is. It's the parts around him that need to come together, and yes, I think the practices he missed early in training camp contributed at least somewhat to the poor showing against Pittsburgh.

Aaron Rodgers has had some great days in camp, but he's also had some rough ones. Until he plays a whole game with the No. 1 offense, I don't think it's possible to fully judge him.

But Favre is your QB this year. Not even a question.

Tom - I posted this question a few weeks ago but nobody seemed to know. What are Packers (or the NFL for that matter) planning when Brett breaks Marino's career TD record? Will there be an on-field acknowledgement?

In your opinion, is this record the equivalent of breaking Hank Aaron's home-run record? If no, is there an NFL record that would be the equivalent of Hank's HR record?

TOM PELISSERO: I guarantee there will be an acknowledgment. But unlike in baseball, I don't think it's practical to stop the game before the extra point and have Favre give a speech or something.

I don't think there's an equivalent to Aaron's, er, Barry Bonds' record in football, because baseball -- particularly hitting and pitching -- is such an individual game. Every meaningful NFL record takes teammates. Dan Marino doesn't set that record without Mark Duper and Mark Clayton, just like Favre doesn't break it (or at least not as quickly) without Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks, Donald Driver and solid offensive line play.

(Note: I apologize if I overlooked a major name there. I'm hustling.)

Tom - Can Brett Favre is an effective "check-down" QB or do you believe he's a stallion that can't be corralled for a whole 60 minute game?

Comments were made last week that Packer receivers were not creating separation from their defenders. Is that how you saw it? If this is the case, won't these quick, "dink and dunk" passes be pretty easy to defend? Seems like you need to mix it up once and a while to keep the defense honest.

TOM PELISSERO: In the Packers' 1996 championship season, Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett each had 31 receptions, and William Henderson had 27. Teams knew the Packers were going to throw to the backs, but that didn't mean they could stop it.

Yes, a vertical threat would help the offense, but the effectiveness of a more conservative approach isn't dependent upon it.

Tom - I read that with the cutting of Robert Ferguson, GB is now 15 million under the cap. This must be near the top in the NFL? What is TT going to do with this unspent money?

TOM PELISSERO: GMs weren't given $109 million and advised not to blow it all building hotels on Park Place. Spending below the cap keeps the Packers profitable and means they'll have another big surplus in 2008 -- as of right now, $25 million-plus. That's a lot of spending power if Ted Thompson chooses to pursue an elite free agent a year from now.

Ok, so in the preseason game, wich was very refreshing to watch albeit preseason. We had 4 injuruies, bodiford montgomery and Orrin Thompson(not worried about powdrell to much), MM said they will all miss "atleast a couple weeks", what does this meen for say... David Clowney and Larry Birdine? I dont think Orrin Thompson was going to make the team anyways with the way Junios Coston has playing. As for Clowney, as much as Bodiford helped him, did blackmon hurt him as a returner? I kinda hate to see an up and coming CB prospect jump in harms way on returns..

With his stinger splash(for those of u who remember Sting from WCW wrestling, haha) sack and super man over the FB, did Bigby make a good push at the starting job?

I liked the improvments on offense, and hope they can find some consistancy -- but im rather convinced our defense barring injuries is going to be a top 10 possibly top 5 defense. I like what TT has done with this team.

TOM PELISSERO: I don't think Larry Birdine has a prayer, even if another end gets hurt. Clowney benefits only in that he'll get an extra chance or two as a kick returner the last two preseason games.

Tom, How many yards a carry did Brandon Jackson get in the Saturday Nite?

TOM PELISSERO: 4.2, up from 3.6 against Pittsburgh.

Is Paul Thompson going to be the odd man out at QB following his performance on Sat night? Those two red zone picks Thompson threw certainly didn't help his cause.

TOM PELISSERO: Neither does running the scout team every day and then trying to execute a game plan in the fourth quarter behind a CFL-caliber offensive line. But yes, Thompson missed an opportunity.

tom - what's your assessment of Atari Bigby's play thus far, has he unseated Marquad Manuel as the starting strong safety? Bigby looked good on those safety blitzes but got burned in the Pitt game in pass coverage.

Who's going to be the starting nickel back based on where things sit today. Bush had two picks (missed a 3rd) and Blackmon looks like a decent CB as well. Both look to make the team. What's happened with Patrick Dendy? Does he make the 53 man roster?

TOM PELISSERO: Bigby is the man right now. He still has to prove he's an upgrade over Manuel as a cover guy and communicator.

Bush is No. 3, Dendy No. 4 and Blackmon No. 5. Frank Walker needs to come on these last two preseason games to avoid getting cut.

Tom - care to jump into the hypothetical fray on what kind of Chairman Mike Holmgrem would make in GB? Some think his ego or lack of business experience would not make him a good fit. Others have wondered whether he would function well with TT and MM underneath him and whether he would interfere with the pro football operations side of the business (Bob Harlan stays completely out of this).

TOM PELISSERO: I have had minimal interaction with Holmgren, so no, I'll stay out of that.

Tom - How much stock should us Packer fans put into Bubba Franks good night against Seattle. Was this just a fluke or has he been picking it up in practice sessions? Donald Lee hasn't really stood out in my mind in the exhibition games either (nor has Alcorn or the UW-La Crosse kid).

What's your sense thus far on how MM will be using the TEs this season. Are they going to continue to be used primarily as blockers like last season or have you seen evidence that MM has more confidence in the offensive line to allow more plays in which the TE is a potential receiver?

TOM PELISSERO: Donald Lee has been quietly solid, especially as a blocker in the absence of fullback Brandon Miree. Zac Alcorn could have locked up his spot long ago, but he's struggled recently. Joe Werner has no chance for being on the active roster this season.

I've written since May the Packers will use the tight ends more in place of fullbacks, and the shortage furthers that theory. Bubba Franks still is the best route-runner of the tight ends, and that's why I think he's on this team.

The annual Shrine Game half-time used to be a big deal, with a lot of Shrine units and bands participating and performing. What happened?

TOM PELISSERO: My head was buried as I tried to send out the running notebook for our sister papers by the start of the third quarter. For all I know, it was an awesome show and you're lying to me.

1. Is the chemistry between Favre and the rest of the skill players on offense really that bad? Not that I know much of anything about the offense or can dissect plays from the Seahawks game, but there seemed to be only 1 play where Favre and the receiver weren't on the same page. I didn't see a whole lot of miscommunication in the Steelers game (where it seemed they just did not execute) or the Family Night scrimmage either (where they marched right down the field).

2. Which undrafted free agent(s) do you think have a good chance of making the team? Larry Birdine and Daniel Muir come to mind, as they both seem to be around the ball an awful lot when they are in the game.

3. Do the Packers need a bigger "power" back in this offense (like White or Wynn)? At this point, I have a hard time not seeing the 3 running backs being Jackson, Morency, and Herron. Although they are all pretty much the same size, they do have different running styles. Maybe they keep one of the bigger backs and they pull double duty as a halfback and fullback instead of keeping two fullbacks.

TOM PELISSERO: I've already kind of answered No. 1.

Daniel Muir has an outside chance, but they won't keep six DTs, meaning he's out unless someone else gets dealt or cut.

White has cooled after a hot start, and a potted plant could do what DeShawn Wynn has done in camp. Throw in P.J. Pope's knee injury, and all your candidates for short yardage are missing the boat. White has the best chance of the three, but I'm not sure he's ready.

Tom, one could find little on the defensive side of the ball to complaine about. They played with excitement and raw emotion. Some of last years rookies seemed to be playing with more anticipation, rather than reacting to a play. What did you see? Seems they did their jobs well in giving the pack a short field at times to work with. Do you see this as an appartions of things to come? Or Do you see this as taking that question on after Thursdays game against the Jaquars, and maybe have alittle better look next week? This DEFENSE seems it could give Farve the short field to work with. Then the offense will have an easier field to work and give Brett all the time to do his check downs if he has to.
I hate hearing that from the land of whine and awecheeze folks that TT didnt get Favre the :WEAPONS: that they feel he should have gotten on draft day. I myself feel that the Defense is the weapon that will get Favre into the endzone with our young guns at wide reciever and TEs.
I can see us playing with a lead more times than not this year. What are your thoughts, sir? Also, will Crosby beat out Rayner? No matter who beats who, will the one that is leaning toward being cut, get traded to a team that maybe searching for a proven kicker?
I myself feel that the Pack will make the playoffs.

TOM PELISSERO: The defense was solid against Seattle, but it's tough to read too much into it, given the absence of the Seahawks' starting QB and tackles. That doesn't take away from the performance -- it's just worth noting all the penetration they got, both with four-man rushes and blitzes, were against a short-handed offense.

The kicking competition is tight. If I had to guess, I'd say the draft pick gets the edge.

Tom,

As I recall, you spent some time covering the (cough!) Vikings.

First question: please compare how each team approaches training camp. You haven't gone through a season in Green Bay, but perhaps you've seen some similiarities or differences in how each team is preparing for the season?

Second: Ted Thompson pursued Brad Childress before he ended up in "The Cities"(we all remember him being called off the plane in Minnesota). Compare McCarthy to Childress.

The Vikings have long had great talent but never seemed to put it together.

Footnote: In the fall of 1981 I worked at then Mankato State University where the Vikings train. (There are many Tommy Kramer stories) I got a pass a couple of times to watch practice and eat lunch with the team.
I have never seen human beings consume as much food at one sitting, and that was only lunch.

TOM PELISSERO: Did you turn your head before that cough?

Again, the Packers' practice schedule is totally different than anything I've come across. Under Mike Tice, the Vikings generally had their padded practice in the morning and a special-teams workout around 3 -- the Packers' two-a-day schedule flipped, except this was every day. The Vikings also had live tackling in a lot of practices, something the Packers are staying away from altogether.

McCarthy and Childress both are offense-minded coaches and no-nonsense guys. I wrote a story on Childress last year for NFL.com, and I can say he's a lot more personable 1-on-1 than in any group setting. He's known for being extremely secretive and evasive, which can be tough to deal with.

Also, this is a family message board. No Tommy Kramer stories, please.

after watching tape, what is the overall assesment on how korey hall has played fullback, i thought he looked alright but tape sometimes tells a differant story, i also think he was good on special teams -- i think he makes the team.

TOM PELISSERO: Hall is on every starting special team, and for a guy who hadn't played the position, he seems fairly comfortable at fullback. Is he ready to play offense in a regular-season game? I'm not sold on that just yet.

Tom,

Do you agree that the Packers' roster has improved over the last couple of years?

They actually have a surplus of good players at certain spots, to the extent that many of those cut in the next few weeks could easily end up on other rosters, or some possibly even being trade-bait.

It seems like they're flush w/good players on the D-line, a good number of the young DBs have some real potential, yet they all can't make the final roster. The K position looks solid too, with apparently 2 starter-quality kickers on the roster right now. And w/Rodgers' progression, it looks like they have 2 legitimate QBs on the roster too.

It feels like the overall talent level has definitely improved. It's a lot different than a few years back when castoff players like Torrance Marshall or Tyrone Davis ended up on the trash heap.

If you agree, then I think it's safe to say that TT's plans for building this team is heading in the right direction. Your thoughts?

TOM PELISSERO: Everyone seems to talk about depth. Outside of defensive tackle and kicker, though, what do you really have? No team is chomping at the bit to trade a draft choice for Charlie Peprah or Tyrone Culver. I don't know any of the receivers who could get cut even would be claimed, except possibly David Clowney. Also, depth is pretty thin in the offensive backfield and at linebacker. Just because there's a logjam at certain positions doesn't mean the logs aren't rotting.

Sorry if that comes off overly negative, but there still are plenty of question marks in my mind.

Great Torrance Marshall reference, BTW.

Tom, Who can we put on the practice squad? I know the rookies can go but what about Bodiford, Cole??Which Ol and which DB's are able to be sent..I guess what I'm asking is what is the formal, who can go and who not???Thanks..Bob

TOM PELISSERO: Anybody who hasn't served two previous seasons on a practice squad is eligible, provided he doesn't have an accrued NFL season or is a free agent who wasn't active for nine or more games in his only season. There are some exceptions to the rule (go to Article 34 of the CBA if you're really desperate), but speaking generally, if a player is listed as a rookie or first-year player on the Packers roster, he's eligible.

Hi Tom-
Lost in all the coverage of Ferguson's release was any word on the timing of it. We don't have to cut anyone for more than a week, and it could work a little against us if the Vikings pick him up (they're becoming 'Green Bay West', with Houston being 'Green Bay South'). I just read an article about Jennings displeasure with playing the X receiver, and there was some comment about how he understands how Ferguson feels, with the lack of opportunities, being 4th in check-down order, etc. Do you think Ferguson was becoming a bad influence on Jennings in the locker room, and McCarthy and Thompson felt they'd better get rid of him after hearing things like that from a young guy they're going to need to count on?

TOM PELISSERO: I don't think it has much to do with locker-room dynamics as much as diminished opportunities. They kept him into camp in case the likes of Martin and Holiday didn't come on, and they cut him loose in plenty of time for him to catch on with Minnesota.

Tom,

How concerned are you about the lack of opportunities Greg Jennings has had thus far? It almost seems like he is the 3rd option behind Driver and Jones.

TOM PELISSERO: Just about anybody would seem quiet against the type of camp James Jones is having. Greg Jennings is a talented football player, and if he's healthy, they'll find ways to get him the ball, even if that means repping Jones on the opposite side of the field from Driver as the season goes on.

I really don't think Koren Robinson is going to be reinstated. Odell Thurman wasn' reinstated and his record doesn't seem as bad Robinson's. What are your thoughts?

TOM PELISSERO: I can't speak much to the reinstatement process. All I know is Robinson made a pretty big deal about being clean last time -- the night he was arrested last August, a national TV crew spoke at length about his recovery, the journal he kept to make sure he was clean, etc. Everyone felt betrayed and a little dirty afterward. If Roger Goodell feels he's getting snowed, he won't move quickly to reinstate Robinson.

Do you see any way Korey Hall opens the season as the starting fullback? From the outside looking in, a defensive player from a division 2 school should not crack the opening day lineup on the offensive side of the ball for an nfl team.

TOM PELISSERO: Right now, Hall's the guy, but I think they'd rather avoid having him on the field too much off the bat.

Brandon Miree has been hurt in the past, so I get the feeling his extended absence didn't sit well with anyone. He certainly could make a comeback these next two games and win the job, and the Packers definitely will have an eye on the waiver wire.

Also, Boise State's Division I. Didn't you watch the Fiesta Bowl? One of the best games last year.

What is the background on Atari Bigby? Was he undrafted? Why? In a nutshell why do you think he is better or worse than Marquand Manuel?

TOM PELISSERO: Undrafted and cut three times already. That's what I can't get over -- could a player no one wanted less than a year ago suddenly be a starting-caliber player in the NFL? I'm not buying it -- at least until I see him more in coverage -- but he definitely has the size and athleticism to be a playmaker.

The biggest problem I see with our punt return team is that it always seems like one or two of our players give up on the blocks to easy and our returner always has someone in his face. Blackmon does look to have some skills back there and he will be fun to watch but if you were to pay attention to this during the game, see what you think.

TOM PELISSERO: Um ... OK.

Sorry to post in early. I am writing from my current duty station in Europe, and it will be 1:00 AM when the chat starts. This is actually a question on the draft.

The Cleveland Browns made a draft day trade with the Dallas Cowboys to acquire Brady Quinn. The Cowboys got a 2007 high second round choice and Cleveland's 2008 #1 choice. We were several spots higher and could have gotten more choices. Knowing how much Ted Thompson loves to acquire draft choices, why do you think he passed on this trade? Judging Cleveland's talent level and schedule, they will be fairly high in the 2008 draft. Do you think Ted got locked in on Justin Harrell too tightly to see what benefit he could have gotten for the trade? Yes, we would have been out of 2007 Round 1, but would have two First Round draft choices next year along with (my guess) several choices in 2007. Your thoughts?

TOM PELISSERO: Greetings from the homeland.

The Packers wanted Marshawn Lynch, who went to Buffalo at No. 12. Harrell was one of the next -- if not THE next -- players on their draft board, and they felt confident he wouldn't last until the second round.

I understand your point, for sure. But it all comes down to how they rate players during the extensive scouting process that goes into the draft, and if they felt they were going to miss out on an impact player, they couldn't budge.

Only time will tell whether it was the right move. Harrell getting off the scout team would be a start.

What about signing Jeremiah Trotter?

TOM PELISSERO: Don't see it happening. He's 30 and was going to make $2.6 million this season. And if there's one linebacker spot at which the Packers aren't thin, it's mike.

Would Trotter provide depth at the LB position and if so, would it be at the MLB (where we have Hodge and Bishop)?

Who backs up Poppinga? He seems to be the weak link in the entire D?

If we keep Atari and start him, why keep Manuel at all? Other than Rouse, wouldn't we have enough in the S/FS position?

Is it me, or will Blackmon's improvement/health potentially mean a TON for this team that will need field position to thrive?

Is it me, or should I be as concerned as I am that B Jackson will be good but tire/be banged up by week 6? We need Morency back healthy-enough to splt the load.

Is this Northwestern FB/RB/FlexBack an answer or just a carrier?

Is there anyone on the wires/potentially on the wires who could help our RB by committee approach?

Is it me, or is 11-5 with a great D and an improving offensive line in the offing?

GO PACK GO!

TOM PELISSERO:

He's a mike linebacker, and that's not a pressing need.

Right now, Tracy White is the No. 2 will.

Very possible.

We'll see if Blackmon keeps rolling -- and stays healthy. But yes, he can be explosive.

Morency should be back for the opener. What that means for the offense is debatable.

I can't even spell the Northwestern guy's name yet. Too soon to tell, but he's an extreme long shot.

Not right now.

It's you.

Now that Larry Johnson got his contract extension, any thoughts on GB making a trade for either Priest Holmes or Michael Bennett. Bennett looks a lot like what we got already. Not sure if 33 yr old Holmes is healthy enough but he could be worth it a shot as a wild card if he came with a small price tag.

TOM PELISSERO: Interesting thought, and one I've had. Until Holmes does more than a cardboard cutout, though, I'm not buying that he's really ready to play in the NFL again -- and I'm not sure the Chiefs are either.

Tom, How much playing time will Brett and the first string offense get in the game on Thursday Nite?

TOM PELISSERO: That's a good question. It doesn't sound like it will be the first three quarters, but I'd be surprised if they don't make it to halftime.

Tom, Who do you think will win the kicking job Dave Rayner or Mason Crosby?

TOM PELISSERO: Crosby.

Tom, From covering the team last year to covering the team this year I know it is early in the preseason but from what you can tell how is the special teams doing this year compared to last year?

TOM PELISSERO: This is my first year covering the Packers full-time. So far, though, I think it's safe to say the Packers are improved. The kickers both look good, Jon Ryan seems to be taking a step forward (no pun intended) and Will Blackmon could be the missing link on returns.

How has Korey Hall looked in terms of being a pure blocker at the FB position? He's raw and new to the position, but seemingly he's having a smooth transition. What percentage of chance does he have at winning the starting job?

TOM PELISSERO: Answered this once already. I think he has a shot, and he's the man for now, but I still think they'd like Miree to put himself in the mix, and they'll keep an eye on the waiver wire, too.

Looks like I went about twice as long as I was supposed to. Don't say I never did nothin' for ya. Until next time ...

Whooo, long f'in chat

superfan
08-22-2007, 01:16 AM
It's Wednesday morning 8/15 as I write this, listening to 1130 AM Radio, I think CNN.

This first guy got off to a tough start - 1130 AM is KFAN, not CNN, and even better is that Pelissero used to work for that station covering the Vikings, known as "dot com tom".

Pretty interesting stuff in here overall, though.

CaliforniaCheez
08-22-2007, 03:29 AM
Tom seems pessimistic about trade possibilities.

I would think a conditional 7th could be had for one of the kickers.

I still have hopes of a DB being traded.

Tom may be right but I don't like hearing it.

packrulz
08-23-2007, 05:27 AM
I have 2 questions:

1. I was wondering if you know of any tight ends that could be cut before the season and who the Packers might consider.

2. Also, are there any other players who you could picture being cut and having a positive influence on the Packers roster?

TOM PELISSERO: I honestly can't say I've broken down tight end depth charts around the league. If you're looking for running backs, keep an eye on Buffalo and Minnesota. The Bills added two rookies and basically have to cut a veteran, and the Vikings' corps is overcrowded after the addition of Adrian Peterson.

Hmmm...interesting.

Rastak
08-23-2007, 06:40 AM
I have 2 questions:

Hmmm...interesting.

The Vikings may cut Ciatric Fason or Artose Pinner....those are the bubble guys. Either would procide a little depth.

Spaulding
08-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Rastak, speaking of Viking RB's, whatever happened to Ontarrio Smith the SOD himself?

Rastak
08-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Rastak, speaking of Viking RB's, whatever happened to Ontarrio Smith the SOD himself?

Banned from the NFL...they refused to re-instate him then he flunked out of the CFL.....that dude has a bad drug problem.

Partial
08-23-2007, 09:56 AM

Banned from the NFL...they refused to re-instate him then he flunked out of the CFL.....that dude has a bad drug problem.

Interesting. That was a very quiet refusal to reinstate him. I completely forgot about him and his whizzanator.