PDA

View Full Version : When will Justin Harrell be the starting DT?

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2007, 03:47 PM
REALLY the starter, on the field, not just on a depth chart.

BallHawk
08-22-2007, 05:04 PM
2009 Season.

Packnut
It's obvious the injury combined with being out of shape has set him back a great deal. He won't start until next season.

Packnut
2009 Season.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BallHawk
08-22-2007, 05:06 PM
I see it this way.

With the injury this year, even though he may say he's fine, he's not playing even around 100%.

Next year we will see the real Justin Harrell. However, the real Harrell isn't polished enough to be a real starter. He'll need a full year of healthy NFL experience.

In 2009, he'll be the starter.

BallHawk
08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
2009 Season.

For once, I am more pessimistic then Packnut. :D :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2007, 05:14 PM
I think the injury excuse has been overblown. It's an arm, not a leg or back. Gilbert Brown played a whole season with the injury untreated! And I haven't heard a peep that he lacks strength in his upper body as a result of the injury.

The issue is conditioning, maybe a little rust. Both of these can be overcome in a full preseason.

I think he is listed as #1 because they still intend to start him against Philly. I think they are going to give him an opportunity to grow into the job. Maybe he'll wash out, we'll see.

Partial
08-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Personally, I hope he never gets the chance to start because the guys ahead of him develop into annual pro-bowlers :D

TennesseePackerBacker
08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Harrell becomes the starter once the Packers deem Pickett over the hill, or just not as servicable as Harrell. Til then, unless he really breaks out, he'll be in rotation with Jolly(as far as I see it).

You guys act as if having multiple bigmen to rotate in is a bad thing. Personally I hope they resign Williams, because Pickett is the next to go, you can count on it.

Packnut
08-22-2007, 05:26 PM
2009 Season.

For once, I am more pessimistic then Packnut. :D :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Packnut
08-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Another opinion on Harrell among other things........

http://pu2006.typepad.com/packer_update/

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Another opinion on Harrell among other things........

http://pu2006.typepad.com/packer_update/

SNAPSHOT

USTIN HARRELL: The first-round draft choice from Tennessee was at the top of the depth chart when camp started, but he has slid all the way down to third-team since then. Considering that Harrell hadn't played any football since suffering a torn biceps last September, it was probably unrealistic to expect him to shine early on. But even those not expecting much have to be a little disappointed in his performance thus far. "I know he's rusty, but this kid should be able to beat players like Tyson Walter and Travis Leffew in his sleep," said the scout. "The fact that he's not even standing out against second and third-string linemen is a bit concerning. There's no need to panic, but it's time for him to step it up."

CaliforniaCheez
08-22-2007, 07:36 PM
The media just hate the Packers doing things the old fashioned way.

Kampmann and KGB were 5th round picks.
Corey Williams and Jolly were sixth round picks.
Cole and Jenkins were undrafted free agents.

Why don't the Packers go broke for a few years and then bring in a lot of free agents like Pickett?

Having guys work hard and work their way up is boring.
They are just no names. They stay with one team too much.

Overspending on guys with bad attitudes and criminal records is what the media wants to see.

RashanGary
08-22-2007, 07:51 PM
I think he'll start next year unless injury. I like Williams as a backup DE/DT. I think he can see a lot of meaningfull snaps with that setup.

Harrell and Jolly are the DT's of the future. Williams should be resigned and used as flexible depth.

Harrell/Jolly (assuming Harrell reaches a level similar to his college days) are a ideal starting DT tandem. Pickett can be a run stopping backup. Williams can be a pass rushing backup. I like the versitlity and depth going forward. Harrell has to start looking like the guy who dominated in college next year though. We'll be fine at DT this year, next year it would be nice to be better than fine.

Bretsky
08-22-2007, 08:00 PM
I think most in here underestimate how good Pickett is. He's well above average as a DT, gets a nice push on runs and adds penetration on passing downs.

Jolly has proven next to nothing yet; I'm waiting til he excels against top flight competition in the regular season to anoint him as anything. If he excels it's a great bonus.

We're solid at the DL with Jenkins, Kampman, Williams, and Pickett. Cole is an OK backup; if Jolly is better than Cole all the better. KGB is a nice pass rusing situational DE.

Who knows what Harrell gives us; our DL is solid without him.

BF4MVP
08-22-2007, 08:09 PM
It's obvious the injury combined with being out of shape has set him back a great deal. He won't start until next season.
QFT

(...holy crap I agree with packnut... :shock: )

oregonpackfan
08-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Harrell has been EXTREMELY disappointing this year. He cannot even beat the 3rd team OT's.

I am afraid we are seeing the second coming of Jamaal Reynoldsin Harrell.

My prediction for Harrell is this:

Injured Reserve for all of 2007
On the bench for all of 2008
Cut from the team in late August, 2009 with NFL career over.

Sorry for the pessimism but I am just responding in the Cliff Cristl mode. I am telling it as I see it.

RashanGary
08-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I didnt' expect Jolly to be as good as he has been or Harrell to struggle as much as he has. We're still really good at the DT position, just not for the reasons I first thought. I always liked Jolly but I never thought it would happen this fast. That one year in the league can make a bid difference in a DT.

We'll be really good at DT this year. Hopefully Harrell becomes the player he was in college because that would mean we will be great going forward.

I just like having a lot of good players at that position. We have that now, and we can have that for a long time assuming Harrell becomes the Harrell that played at Tennessee and assumiing we resign Williams as a top DT/DE backup.

Joemailman
08-22-2007, 08:56 PM
I think he'll start next year unless injury. I like Williams as a backup DE/DT. I think he can see a lot of meaningfull snaps with that setup.

Harrell and Jolly are the DT's of the future. Williams should be resigned and used as flexible depth.

Harrell/Jolly (assuming Harrell reaches a level similar to his college days) are a ideal starting DT tandem. Pickett can be a run stopping backup. Williams can be a pass rushing backup. I like the versitlity and depth going forward. Harrell has to start looking like the guy who dominated in college next year though. We'll be fine at DT this year, next year it would be nice to be better than fine.

It will be hard to keep Williams from leaving via free agency if he is going to be a backup. Someone will offer him starter money if he has another strong season. As the season progresses therefore, I think you'll see Harrell's playing time increase, and Williams' decrease.

RashanGary
08-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Pay Williams starter money. He's worth it. Why play a crappy backup "starter minutes" when you can play a starter caliber player "starter minutes".

Williams, Jolly, Pickett and Harrell if he pans out isn't too many good DT's esspecially when one of them can play a bunch of snaps at DE.

I still think Thompson is going to resign Williams soon. I just think he would be wasting the oppertunity to keep his talent level up at a discounted rate. It's almost always stupid to let one of your own good players go when you have the oppertunity to lock them up early. Unless there is some injury concern that I'm unaware of, I would not be happy if we let Williams get much further without an extention. The longer we wait the closer he gets to UFA and the less risk he has of injury. Right now, he'd take a discount because of injury. In 10 games he'll say "hell no" and just wait it out for the moster UFA deal that they all get.

After KGB leaves "this off season", Williams could play starter minutes as a backup DE. He's not a one trick pony. He has use even if it's not at DT. Good coaches can find a way to use good talent on the DL.

Deputy Nutz
08-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Pickett won't play out his contract, he isn't that old, but he carries extra weight and that can be hard on the joints.

The Packers should pay Williams, they have the money, he is a 4 year 15 million player.

Harrell is going to be decent, he doesn't get pushed off the line, and he shows glimpses of his football savvy, something you never saw from Reynolds. He gets his hands up to deflect passes and disrupt the passing lanes. He simply has to adjust to the NFL, he isn't overly quick like a Tommy Harris that can penetrate gaps. Harrell is going to have to get stronger in his legs and and learn how to use his leverage.

I have always like Collin Cole, and it seems he is always on the verge of getting cut, but makes the team and then contributes. He makes the team, but may end up being traded before cuts if the Packers believe Harrell can come in and contribute, if Harrell can't then Cole will be kept and Harrell will be inactive to start the season.

Jolly is one of those big body guys that is only going to get better and better at stopping the run and bull rushing the QB. He reminds me of guys like Keith Traylor, and Ted Washington.

So the bottom line is this unit has some depth, and if used properly this could solidify this defense and team, but if the coaching staff relies too much on the potential of Harrell when he isn't ready and cuts or trades away the rest of the depth then this unit could be weakened and considered only average by NFL standards.

GrnBay007
08-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Nutz, who was that one player you used to talk about a lot? ....something about his wife being a class act? Oh yeah, Coston, that's it.

:P

RashanGary
08-23-2007, 06:42 AM
The Packers should pay Williams, they have the money, he is a 4 year 15 million player.

I thought the same thing. Williams, Jenkins and Kampman would add up to equal one Dwight Freeney. Keep them all, none of them are going to be grossly overpaid unless we let them hit the UFA market. Williams seemed happy and content in his last interview. He had no angst about playing time or contract stuff. I wonder if something is being hammered out behind closed doors. I hope so anyway.

After KGB leaves (next year) we are going to wish we had a backup DE and Williams is going to be getting monster offers from other teams. Why let it get there?

Bretsky
08-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Pickett is still young and if his attitude stays good he'll play out his deal IMO

RashanGary
08-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Pickett is still young and if his attitude stays good he'll play out his deal IMO

I think so too. I think he might end up being our 4th best DT as soon as next season but he's a good run stopper and Williams might end up being more of a DE. The more wear we put on his knees the less is going on everyone elses knees so I say keep him and ride him until his contract is up. He's still an average player and an above average run stopper. If you use him right, you can get above average play out of him by using him on run downs.