PDA

View Full Version : Packers Versus Jaguars - Official Preseason Game Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Spaulding
08-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Ok, lets try this.

You know how devastated I was when Thompson let Green leave. Not because Green was the end all, be all, but because we hadn't really developed ANYONE to take his place. Yes, he's old, yes he's on the downside, yes he got overpaid. NONE of it really matters as he's still a hell of a lot better than what we've got.

Ignore the money for just a minute. How would a backfield of Green, Morency, and Jackson look headed into this season?

In addition to forcing the defender to respect the run, we've now taken a little pressure off both the OL, and the WR corps.

Now. I still don't believe that Green needed the contract he got to remain in GB. There WAS an opportunity to lock him up before free agency. It is pretty likely that Green got lowballed. We had the money, we could have overpaid a little.

Partial - you're bitching about receivers, I could care less about receivers. We need RB's and TE's. They COMPLEMENT the Wr corps. Our young guys will be fine if we don't need to DEPEND on them.

As to the sarcasm, yes, I guess there has been enough of that. But what you don't realize, is, it is the only thing I've successfully used to "lower my expectations" as Bretsky puts it.

this team is not very good in several areas, and very unproven in others. Relying on "IFS" has never been a strong point for me.

I've been clear. I DO NOT LIKE Ted's short term plan. I like the long term one. I think this team will be pretty good in 2009, and perhaps 2008, if some things go pretty well.

Nice post RG. Normally I don't agree with your posts but I definitely follow this logic. Will be interesting to see if Green produces in Houston. I suspect that although we are lacking experience at RB and have mostly unknowns, that Morency and Jackson don't prove to be at least as competent as Green this year. Still, definitely would have been nice to have kept Green who was one of my favorites.

I thought the team looked pretty good against the Jags where it mattered in the 1st half. I find it encouraging that we've improved for the most part from game to game and have been competitive in each, especially given all three are expected to be playoff caliber. Pre-season is pre-season (ala Colts who go winless in it and then snag the SB later on) but short of run blocking tonight and the injury to Driver I'd hope most would find this as a positive.

Was it just me or did it look like White was running quite low and with substantial power?? Or was it just the fact he was running against 2nd and 3rd string defenders?

Safety net or not, Herron is just too damn slow. It's like when they the game slows down for a quarterback as they develop and the inverse is happening to him.

If they keep five RB/FB's I'd hope given current play so far that it be:

Jackson, Morency, White, Hall, Miree

RIPackerFan
NN stated the team doctor said it was a foot sprain.

Driver was in good spirits.

Favre was smiling and having a good time.

All these point to this being less severe - I doubt any of the above would happen if it was worse.

Harlan Huckleby
Maybe Thompson can make a trade to get Fergy back.

Spaulding
08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Nothing like a nice Miller Chill to take the edge off after a nice game.

Wait, you lost me when you said "nice" and "Miller Chill" in the same sentence.

CaliforniaCheez
08-23-2007, 10:50 PM
No sacks.

No turnovers caused.

Not a good job by the defense.

RIPackerFan
08-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Its going to be interesting to see how long Driver is out. A lot of people are talking about 10 wks out - I have a feeling it will be much less than that.

They have a bunch of treatments they are going to push on Driver - and we don't know how bad the sprain is. Sprains hurt more the breaks - so hopefully it won't be ten weeks.

(Maybe he will pull a Favre - remember when he hurt his ankle and everyone thought his streak was over - and then he played the next week - we can only dream).

Bretsky
08-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes, has anyone verified if it is a foot sprain?

I don't think so; we won't find out til tomorrow for sure

Partial
08-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Nothing like a nice Miller Chill to take the edge off after a nice game.

Wait, you lost me when you said "nice" and "Miller Chill" in the same sentence.

its good! :P

RashanGary
08-23-2007, 10:52 PM
I wouldnt' be suprised if it was 10 weeks. Foot problems seem to linger.

We hava bye in week 7 which is 8 weeks from now. I wouldn't be suprised if we see Driver in week 9, game 8 which is ten weeks from now.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Will be interesting to see if Green produces in Houston. I suspect that although we are lacking experience at RB and have mostly unknowns, that Morency and Jackson don't prove to be at least as competent as Green this year.

I have hunch Jackson will get better as year goes on, and Green will wear down.

Ya, of course it would be great to have Green in the backfield rotation. And it would be great to have Darren Sharper in the safety mix. You have to take chances, can't hold on to everybody.

Was it just me or did it look like White was running quite low and with substantial power??

I'm not at all impressed by White. He just looks like so many other backs that get cut in the NFL. He's got no quicks. He's about like Tony Fisher as a runner. Or worse.

Bretsky
08-23-2007, 10:53 PM
I've already picked up James Jones in the fantasy football league that I had Driver starting in

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Bottom line: If Driver is seriously injured, it was an awful night. If not, a good night. As far as the game, more positives than negatives. I'd trade any of it for Driver being healthy. Did anybody call Rastak out for criticizing McCarthy for pulling some of his starters sooner than normal? Even before the injury, I would preferred Drive come out when Favre did. Anyways! Shit happens. Could have happened in practice too. Still, I don't see the need to risk starting players in a meaningless preseason game for 3 quarters against a hard-hitting team. Of course, it happened in quarter 2.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2007, 10:54 PM
I've already picked up James Jones in the fantasy football league that I had Driver starting in

:butt:

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2007, 10:56 PM

We hava bye in week 7 which is 8 weeks from now. I wouldn't be suprised if we see Driver in week 9, game 8 which is ten weeks from now.

What are you talking about? We don't have the faintest clue whether it will be 1-2 weeks or 16 weeks, so nothing should "surprise" you.

Bretsky
08-23-2007, 10:56 PM

:butt:

Insurance Harv; gotta have Insurance :lol:

Partial
08-23-2007, 10:57 PM

What are you talking about? We don't have the faintest clue whether it will be 1-2 weeks or 16 weeks, so nothing should "surprise" you.

I would think if its a sprained foot for an NFL player it will be two weeks. AKA the start of the regular season.

These guys are not your average joe. They heal faster, they are tougher, and they play hurt. I think he'll gut it out.

RIPackerFan
08-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Per University of Michigan Health System about foot sprains:

How long will the effects last?
The length of recovery depends on many factors such as your age, health, and if you have had a previous foot injury. Recovery time also depends on the severity of the sprain. A mild foot sprain may recover within a few weeks, whereas a severe foot sprain may take 6 weeks or longer to recover.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2007, 10:59 PM
And, yes, I'm ornery. I was really enjoying the game--until Double D went out.

esoxx
08-23-2007, 11:00 PM
No shit they're calling it a foot "sprain". That's always the initial diagnosis. I called that around page 20. They call an injury like this a sprain until they get a more clear diagnosis based on all the tests they're going to run. They're not near done with this thing.
They called Favre's knee injury against the 'skins in 2004 a "sprained knee". Then a day or two later it was an LCL tear of the knee. What a surprise!

I hope for the best for DD but foot injuries are a bitch and typically long healing. His loss cannot be underestimated. Paper thin with playmakers on the offensive side and he was Weapon #1.

I hate fucking preseason. Driver could be out a very extended time playing in a glorified scrimmage game with his HOF QB sitting on the sidelines. Stupid.

Partial
08-23-2007, 11:04 PM
James Jones looked good again tonight. He looks to be a solid #3. If he is a solid #3 for the rest of his career, that would look like a decent pick I guess.

One thing I notice is he doesn't let his lack of speed effect him. Not once when I looked at him tonight did I think "man, if only you had another gear you would have made that play."

Hopefully, he continues to improve and perfect his craft.

Partial
08-23-2007, 11:07 PM
What did you guys think of Bigby tonight?

I didn't watch very carefully.

RIPackerFan
08-23-2007, 11:13 PM
I saw him get some good hits in defensing the run - coverage I didn't see much - which may be a good thing since he didn't get burned.

Anyone see Harrell? I didn't see him anywhere.

Partial
08-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Any Harrell or Manual sightings? I really missed more of this game than I would have liked.

cpk1994
08-23-2007, 11:31 PM
No sacks.

No turnovers caused.

Not a good job by the defense.

0 pts allowed by 1st unit.

Very good job by the defense.

You are an idiot.

Brohm
08-23-2007, 11:56 PM
First unit D did not stay on long. They had started substitutions in the second quarter.

cpk1994
08-24-2007, 12:41 AM
First unit D did not stay on long. They had started substitutions in the second quarter.Most of the 1st D was out there the entire 1st Half. Those substitutions would be a normal game pattern.

Guiness
08-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Anna sprained her foot back in March. Still can't run full speed on it yet.

Foot sprains take a damn long time to heel and they hurt like a mother. The ligaments get all stretched and nasty. This can lead to arches collasping and that has all sorts of problems on its own.

This pretty much is consistent with what I have heard of sprained feet. They can take a looooooong time to heal.

Yup, a sprain can take a whole lot longer to heal than a break, and is much less predictable. A clean break will have you back on your feet a lot quicker than one of those dreaded 'high ankle sprains'. And when you come back from a break, you're at a 100%. If you try and rush back from a sprain, you can languish at 80-90% for a long time.

I'm on the other side of the fence. I think the sprain is a bad thing. A sprain is ligament damage.

Brohm
08-24-2007, 07:31 AM
First unit D did not stay on long. They had started substitutions in the second quarter.Most of the 1st D was out there the entire 1st Half. Those substitutions would be a normal game pattern.

They took out all 3 LB and put in White Bishop and Havner. Starting LBs never came back in. Other subs started trickling in soon after.

GBRulz
08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
The crowd last night really lost it's energy after DD went down. Of course being there, you have no idea what is going on or being said about the injury. When the cart came out, it will almost silent. I think it got loud again at the end when we had a chance with 48 seconds left....until Dingle Martin threw that horrible pass. 20 seconds after that, 75% of the stands were already in the exit line waiting to get out!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-24-2007, 09:18 AM
All because Diver's injury was a foot sprain doesn't mean he'll be out for 4-8 weeks. Mild foot sprains are only two week injuries. Severe foot sprains are the ones that take about two mouths to heal.

Please God let it be a very mild foot sprain.

The Leaper
08-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Most of the 1st D was out there the entire 1st Half. Those substitutions would be a normal game pattern.

So taking Hawk and Barnett out of the game is "normal game pattern"???

I beg to differ. Hawk never leaves the field, and Barnett only leaves when we are in the dime.

woodbuck27
08-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Recalling Blackmon's injury and the TE for the Bears that was hampered last season for weeks on end.

DD will do his best to get back very soon.

woodbuck27
08-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Bottom line: If Driver is seriously injured, it was an awful night. If not, a good night. As far as the game, more positives than negatives. I'd trade any of it for Driver being healthy. Did anybody call Rastak out for criticizing McCarthy for pulling some of his starters sooner than normal? Even before the injury, I would preferred Drive come out when Favre did. Anyways! Shit happens. Could have happened in practice too. Still, I don't see the need to risk starting players in a meaningless preseason game for 3 quarters against a hard-hitting team. Of course, it happened in quarter 2.

DD stays in last night to make Aaron Rodgers look good?

If so. . . then that sucks.**

All in all no criticism but just one of those really tough breaks,Possibly.

** I just read this, a quote fr. MM:

"It's natural to say, 'Geez, I wish I'd have took him out with Brett.' And I did, to myself, and now I'm saying it here in front of a microphone," McCarthy said. "That's part of the game. It's unfortunate. Hopefully, it's not serious." . . .Mike McCarthy

The Leaper
08-24-2007, 03:23 PM
DD stays in last night to make Aaron Rodgers look good?

I think they wanted to give Rodgers a series with the first team because of his success to this point moving the offense with the second string. Rodgers EARNED the chance to play with the first string against the JAX first string defense IMO. I would've done the same thing if I were McCarthy. Rodgers is only going to improve as he gets more reps against starting caliber players at this point.

Driver's injury was just unlucky...and could just as easily have happened on the first series of the game. You can't sit the starters the entire preseason because you are scared of injury. If Driver had been out there against the SECOND STRING defense, then I think your question gains merit.

BallHawk
08-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Here's a vid of Bishop's hit if you want to see it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHufxwBtCg