PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid's Troubled Kids

Kiwon
08-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I feel bad for Andy Reid.

Heroin use, gun charges, DUI........

It's a tough call for any parent, let alone a NFL head coach, but when should a parent quit his job, change his schedule, and concentrate on his family?
.................................................. ................................
Police stop Britt Reid, son of Eagles coach Andy Reid, for suspected DUI in parking lot

August 23, 2007

PLYMOUTH MEETING, Pa. (AP) -- One of Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid's sons, awaiting sentencing in a road-rage case, was detained Thursday on suspicion of driving while impaired.

Britt Reid, 22, of Villanova, failed a sobriety test in a store parking lot around 3:45 p.m. and was given a blood test, Assistant Police Chief Joseph Lawrence of Plymouth Township said.

Reid struck a shopping cart when officers activated their lights, Lawrence said.

No charges were filed Thursday. Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. said he was told not to take any action until the blood test results come back, which he said would not be until Monday at the earliest.

"What we have is the possibility of a crime; we don't have evidence of a crime, not yet," Castor said.

Reid is free on bail pending sentencing in the Jan. 30 road-rage case, in which police said he brandished a handgun at another driver. He pleaded guilty last week to gun and drug charges and faces a possible six to 14 months in jail.

Defense lawyers did not immediately return phone messages Thursday.

Senior Deputy Attorney General Marc Costanzo, who prosecuted the first case, said an impaired-driving charge could violate Reid's bail conditions. Reid's lawyers have said he is undergoing outpatient treatment at a substance-abuse center.

Reid's 24-year-old brother, Garrett, faces at least three days in jail after pleading guilty last month to drug and traffic offenses. Garrett Reid admitted to using heroin the day he ran a red light in Plymouth Township and hit another car.

Rastak
08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Bummer for Andy, he's gotta be bummed having a jackass son.

Or a son with a serious drug/alcohol problem....or both...whatever the case is......

LEWCWA
08-23-2007, 07:40 PM
How bout he just knocks the shit outta him!

Kiwon
11-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Mike Holmgren advises Andy Reid to put family first over coaching. Andy Reid's in a tough spot. The "kids" are adults, 22 and 24, and have been using drugs for years. Now they're both in prison.
.................................................. ...........................

Despite judge's criticism, Reid says he'll stay as Eagles' coach

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Andy Reid is digging in.

The Philadelphia Eagles coach insisted he will not resign Friday, a day after a judge sentenced Reid's two sons to prison and likened his home to a "drug emporium."

Asked whether he intended to stay on the job, a steely-eyed Reid delivered a stern, one-word answer: "Yes."

At least one of his peers thought that may not be the best approach.

"If that situation comes up in anybody's family, I would think you would have to take a hard look at taking time off, of doing something to try and salvage the thing," said Reid's longtime friend and mentor, Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren.

Reid took a five-week absence earlier this year. At his regular news conference Friday, he said more about his sons' legal problems than he had previously.

"I know this is a big story for everybody and I respect that," Reid said. "On the other hand, I can't go into questioning on it at this time.

"However, as parents we have huge concerns for our two boys. This has been a battle we have dealt with here for a few years and I'm sure we'll continue to address the situation. ... Our prayers are obviously with the boys, for their future, and to make sure things work out, where they can live a normal life down the road," he said.

The Eagles are last in the NFC East at 3-4, and host division-leading Dallas on Sunday night. During their final full practice before the game, Reid stood behind the offense and directed quarterbacks Donovan McNabb, A.J. Feeley and Kevin Kolb as TV commentator John Madden and Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie looked on.

Lurie did not take questions from the press. Cornerback Sheldon Brown backed his coach.

"He has done everything he could. He went out, worked his butt off to make sure he made a good life for his family," Brown said. "Through that he showed his kids ... It is up to the kids to learn from it.

"At the end of the day, each individual makes his own decision and has to be held accountable for his own actions."

On Friday, prosecutors charged 24-year-old Garrett Reid with five additional drug counts related to 89 pills he had smuggled into prison. His cellmate said he saw Reid remove the pills from his rectum and that Reid offered him some of the pills.

On Thursday night, police searched the Reid home to corroborate the cellmate's story. The coach's wife, Tammy Reid, provided investigators with prescriptions in Garrett Reid's name and a search of his room turned up other prescriptions in his brother's name. They also found two syringes and eight needles in his room, according to prosecutors.

Earlier Thursday, Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill called the Reids a "family in crisis" and questioned whether brothers Britt and Garrett Reid should return to their parents' home after they serve their jail terms.

"There isn't any structure there that this court can depend upon," O'Neill said.

The judge noted that the Reids love their sons and have supported them through repeated attempts at drug rehabilitation. But he wondered aloud how the parents could be blind to the long list of drugs, guns and ammunition that police found in the Reids' home and vehicles.

"These are highly addictive medications that are just around the house with two addicts in it," O'Neill said. "It sounds more or less like a drug emporium."

That same day, 22-year-old Britt Reid detailed his eight-year struggle with painkillers and other drugs as he was sentenced to eight to 23 months in jail for pointing a gun at another driver on Jan. 30. He also pleaded guilty to charges including carrying a firearm without a license.

Garrett Reid was sentenced to two to 23 months in jail for a high-speed crash in which another driver was injured. Police found heroin, steroids and more than 200 pills in his car and he admitted using heroin on the day of the crash.

RashanGary
11-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Bummer for Andy...

LMFAO

Yeah, two kids hooked on heroine is a real bummer :)

MJZiggy
11-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Two kids hooked on heroine IS a real bummer. Imagine if it happened to your kids...

This is one time I actually disagree with M1. If you think about it, if the boys are in prison, what is Reid really going to be able to do about it right now anyway except sit home and worry for 23 months. The time for him to consider whether to take time off is when they get out. Even then, these boys are adults, so what is he going to be able to do besides going with them to therapy? And if they don't wanna clean up, they aren't going to and it doesn't sound to me like either one has any intention of getting clean. It's up to the boys.

RashanGary
11-03-2007, 10:10 AM
I was being sarcastic Ziggy. Two kids on Heroine is a nightmare. It's almost like losing your kids because the odds of them ever having a decent life are slim to none. It will be years before his boys can even feel natural emotion like happyness or real love. They might as well be dead. Sure, they can make it out, they're goign to have to overcome years of depression and battle through a fight that most people would just give up on because it's so miserable and void of any type of reward (short term). Sure there is a light at the end of the tunnell of being a person again (5-10 years down the road) but they have to go through so much misery to recover that they are likely to give up long before they ever make it. On top of that, they have privaliged parents and the means for them to continue on the easy path is there so they will probably never really hit rock bottom.

It's sad all right. It's devastating. Alcohol addiction is devastating. Heroine is 10X worse from what I understand. There is nothing Andy can do right now. A little time with his kids and some honest conversations 10 years ago might have helped, but now it's too late. His kids are hooked.

Maxie the Taxi
11-03-2007, 10:59 AM
"However, as parents we have huge concerns for our two boys. This has been a battle we have dealt with here for a few years and I'm sure we'll continue to address the situation. ... Our prayers are obviously with the boys, for their future, and to make sure things work out, where they can live a normal life down the road," he [Reid] said.

Yup, prayers are sure to help. "Boys"! "Kids"! When exactly does a boy or a kid nowadays become a man?

I know nothing about the circumstances or family dynamics in this case [and I apologize in advance if I'm wrong], but I suspect it's another case of a parent (probably mommy) believing that her precious little Britt and Garrett can do nothing wrong, that they are victims of bad company, attention deficit disorder, manic-depression or any number of other maladies modern society can inflict on innocent children. Give them everything they (and their fast, freeloading friends) want, overlook the faux pas of drugs and needles hid under the bed and, when all else fails, pray for the little darlings so they might "live a normal life down the road." :roll:

oregonpackfan
11-03-2007, 11:05 AM
This is indeed a tragic story.

I watched a piece on ESPN yesterday where the commentators alleged that pro coaches are placed in the position of neglecting their families because of all the time demands placed upon them. The allegation was that because pro coaches are putting in 16-18 hour workdays, their kids are bound to suffer.

The debate went back and forth about this topic.

It has been my experience that proper home environment does play a huge role in the successful upbringing of a child. At the same time, kids from supportive home environments occasionally make poor choices and "Go Bad."

A case in point of an adult child from a great home environment making the wrong choices is one of the sons of Bart and Cherry Starr. The Starrs were fine, upstanding parents. Though Bart put in a lot of time with the Packers both as a player and as the Packers coach, he made quality time for family.

Despite having two very involved parents, one of the Starr sons became hooked on cocaine and eventually died from an overdose. Were the Starrs "Bad" parents? Certainly not! Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

If a teenage or young adult child becomes dependent on substance abuse, parents always need to be supportive and have hope for their child to turn his(her) life around. The biblical parable of "The Prodigal Son" is a fine example of that. Though the son had squandered his inheritance, lived a life of debauchery, etc. his father welcomed him back home and gave his son forgiveness in his effort to restart his life.

Hopefully, Andy Reid and his wife can help their "Prodigal Sons" turn their lives around.

Maxie the Taxi
11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
If a teenage or young adult child becomes dependent on substance abuse, parents always need to be supportive and have hope for their child to turn his(her) life around.

If I had messed with drugs as a teenager living at home (or abused alcohol), I'll guarantee my father would not have been "supportive." And he'd have done more than just "hope" I'd turn my life around.

I basically kept my nose clean growing up because I was motivated by FEAR of the consequences if I didn't.

MadtownPacker
11-03-2007, 11:26 AM
I was being sarcastic Ziggy. Two kids on Heroine is a nightmare. It's almost like losing your kids because the odds of them ever having a decent life are slim to none. It will be years before his boys can even feel natural emotion like happyness or real love. They might as well be dead. Sure, they can make it out, they're goign to have to overcome years of depression and battle through a fight that most people would just give up on because it's so miserable and void of any type of reward (short term). Sure there is a light at the end of the tunnell of being a person again (5-10 years down the road) but they have to go through so much misery to recover that they are likely to give up long before they ever make it. On top of that, they have privaliged parents and the means for them to continue on the easy path is there so they will probably never really hit rock bottom.

It's sad all right. It's devastating. Alcohol addiction is devastating. Heroine is 10X worse from what I understand. There is nothing Andy can do right now. A little time with his kids and some honest conversations 10 years ago might have helped, but now it's too late. His kids are hooked.I talk a lot of smack to you man but this post is spot on! This "kids" are lost and at this point Reid needs to let them get out of their hole alone or dig it even deeper.

Deputy Nutz
11-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Those kids belong in prison. They have indangered the lives of others with their behavior. Now is the time for the Parents to tell the kids that we love you and we will give you emotional support, but all other support is cut off, no more money, lawyers, and other expenses.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2007, 12:49 PM
are you guys talking about Bretzky? My God, he's got another on the way.