PDA

View Full Version : A glimpse of their reality

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Positive signs shown despite Driver's injury
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - For exhibition football, this was about as real-life as it gets.

For fans of the Green Bay Packers, it was a tutorial on how your team is capable of winning a bunch of games in 2007.

Now, as long as Donald Driver's foot sprain isn't serious, the road ahead looks most promising for a team that was 12-20 the past two seasons.

The Packers' formula was obvious Thursday night at Lambeau Field against the Jacksonville Jaguars. So were the strengths and weaknesses of coach Mike McCarthy's second team.

With starters for both teams playing almost the entire first half, the Packers led, 10-0. Their defense controlled the action until their offense, utterly unable to run the ball, moved smartly in the second quarter behind Brett Favre and then Aaron Rodgers to put up 10 points.

It doesn't much matter how a game is played. But a 10-point lead is a 10-point lead, and it was taken against a physical team out of the superior American Football Conference that was 12-4 two years ago.

"I'm definitely pleased," said John Schneider, personnel analyst to general manager Ted Thompson. "It was a great preseason test. Our defense should be good. The way they're playing right now, our defense should be able to keep us in games. Offensively, we'll come along. Our offense has progressed every week."

The Packers' shock troops faded as the 47th annual Bishop's Charities Game played out. Thus, the Jaguars were able to post a 21-13 victory before a crowd of 69,268. Both teams are 2-1.

"We're improving all the time," McCarthy said. "That's what's important. We didn't run the ball very well. At all."

Throughout Jack Del Rio's five seasons, the Jaguars have been better on defense than offense. The Jaguars' No. 1 offense entered the game with five punts and a lost fumble in six possessions during the first two exhibition games.

Green Bay's starting defense allowed 97 yards in the first half, six first downs and just 11 minutes 25 seconds of possession time.

"That's a good running team," Schneider said. "Fred Taylor. They have big receivers. Our defense is playing well."

The Jaguars moved from their 40 to the Green Bay 32 on their first possession before a fourth-and-4 pass to Maurice Jones-Drew fell incomplete.

On Jacksonville's next series, the Packers stopped Jones-Drew for no gain on third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 carries. Nick Barnett was instrumental on both plays.

"The defense is flying to the football," McCarthy said. "They are attacking. I'm very pleased with that aspect."

Leftwich picked on Al Harris early in the second quarter. Dennis Northcutt turned a 5-yard pass into a 20-yard gain when Harris missed the tackle. Ernest Wilford then beat Harris for 15 on a sideline route. But Leftwich threw high on a deep comeback route to Matt Jones against Harris on third and 6 and the Jaguars punted.

At this point, McCarthy had been trying to balance the offense between run and pass. But the Jaguars, who ranked fourth against the run and second overall in '06, were having none of it.

Defensive tackles Marcus Stroud and John Henderson were immovable. Linebackers Mike Peterson and Daryl Smith ran around making big plays.

By halftime, rookie Brandon Jackson had eight carries with numbing sameness. His gains were 1, 2, 0, 1, 1, 3, 1 and 1. When Jackson fumbled and Korey Hall recovered, Jackson was lifted for one play in favor of Noah Herron. It was the first time in three games that Jackson hadn't been on the field with the No. 1 offense in base situations.

"We've got to be able to run the ball," Schneider said. "We have some things in the running game that need to be cleaned up."

Running backs Vernand Morency, DeShawn Wynn and P.J. Pope haven't played a down in an exhibition game because of injury.

"It's no secret that we haven't been able to evaluate this group of backs," Schneider said. "Jackson is learning. You have to watch the end-zone tape to determine what happened. But Henderson and Stroud are big people to move and the three linebackers behind them can all run."

After Jackson gained 3 to open a series in the second quarter, McCarthy stopped beating his head against the wall and turned Brett Favre loose. Passing on the next nine plays in a row, the Packers drove 76 yards for Dave Rayner's 22-yard field goal.

"I thought Brett was really in sync," McCarthy said, adding that he was leaning toward not playing Favre in the finale at Tennessee. "I thought he threw the ball with rhythm. I thought the receivers did really well catching the ball and yards after the catch."

Tight ends Bubba Franks and Donald Lee broke free down the middle for receptions worth 25 and 20 yards, respectively.

When the Packers got the ball back, McCarthy opened with a 1-yard run by Jackson before calling seven straight passes for Aaron Rodgers. The ninth play was a 1-yard touchdown by Jackson.

Once again, the brunt of the receiving load was shouldered by rookie James Jones, who finished with six catches for 80 yards. Jones appeared to run some poor routes early and lost a fumble on a strip by cornerback Rashean Mathis, but he also made some terrific plays.

"His deal is, he can drop his hips, he has power and an innate ability for people to bounce off him," Schneider said of Jones, who has 16 receptions for 196 yards.

Rodgers also had more good moments than bad ones, especially an 11-yard pass to Jackson one play before the touchdown in which he was plastered by defensive tackle Rob Meier a split-second before his release.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Notes: Driver suffers sprained foot
By LORI NICKEL and BOB McGINN

Green Bay - Wide receiver Donald Driver suffered a right foot sprain of undetermined severity Thursday night at Lambeau Field in the Green Bay Packers' 21-13 exhibition loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Driver caught a 12-yard crossing route late in the second quarter and was dragged down by safety Sammy Knight.

Coach Mike McCarthy was given a brief medical report from team doctor Patrick McKenzie before addressing reporters. He was asked if Driver had suffered a Lisfranc injury, a dreaded condition that sidelined Robert Ferguson for the season in 2006.

"Pat didn't seem that it was that (extensive) as far as the location on the foot," McCarthy said. "He just told me it was a foot sprain. He's in good spirits. I don't have a diagnosis as far as weeks."

Driver, probably the team's best player in the last two seasons, would be a catastrophic loss if the injury is long term. He probably would be replaced in the lineup by rookie James Jones.

"I don't know if it's serious," Jones said. "If it's serious, guys are going to have to step up. I'm not thinking it's that bad. Maybe a sprained ankle or what-not. He'll be back."

Asked if he would have to fill in for Driver, Jones said, "I'm confident in myself but one person can't do it. Everyone will have to take it from there."

Guard Jason Spitz left in the first quarter with what McCarthy said was a recurring calf injury. He was the only other player injured in the game.

The defense rests: Exhibition games mean nothing, the losers often say, but when a defense can stop the opponent twice on fourth down, something is brewing.

The Packers stalled the Jaguars on the first two drives of the game. After a bruising second-down hit by Packers safety Atari Bigby, who was getting his first start, the Packers stuffed the run on the next down and then Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew dropped a pass on fourth down.

On the second stop, the Packers did nothing fancy, playing a straight 4-3 defense with the linebackers inching up. Jacksonville's run was stuffed by Nick Barnett and Aaron Kampman.

TEs team up: When was the last time the Packers threw to the tight ends on consecutive plays? And got 45 yards out of it?

Favre hit veteran Bubba Franks for a 25-yard gain to midfield in the second quarter and then Donald Lee on the next play for a 20-yard gain. The Packers went from their 23-yard line to Jacksonville's 32 in about a minute and rounded out the drive with an easy field goal.

Franks struggled for much of last season, but it seems his confidence has returned, and it shows in fewer dropped passes.

Miree is back: Speaking of that catch by Franks, part of the reason it was completed was because Favre was protected on his right side. Throwing left, Favre was being pursued on his blind side on that play by a Jaguars defender but fullback Brandon Miree picked up the block perfectly, pushing his man far behind the unaffected Favre.

This was Miree's first action of training camp, having missed much of it with a stinger and an Achilles' tendon injury.

Miree also had a nice catch on that drive, gaining 2 yards to get the Packers inside the 10 for a fresh set of downs.

Miree is battling Korey Hall for the starting fullback job; Hall recovered a fumble by Brandon Jackson on Green Bay's first drive.

More work: After worrying about his limited opportunity for receptions earlier in training camp because he was playing the unheralded slot position, receiver Greg Jennings got a lot more chances against Jacksonville. He had two catches at halftime for 19 yards and the Packers looked to him for others, perhaps a sign that they want to get him more involved.

They weren't always the best opportunities. On fourth and 15, Jennings could not or would not stretch out for a missile from Favre and the pass sailed incomplete.

There was another incomplete pass to Jennings in the first quarter that occurred either because Favre overshot him by a mile or Jennings wasn't downfield fast enough. Finally, a 3-yard play from Rodgers to Jennings was ruled incomplete after a Jacksonville challenge.

In case you fell asleep: Some highlights from the fourth quarter, when substitutes ruled the field: Fullback Corey White got most of the running back carries, including a nice 8-yard run at midfield. . . . The Packers went for a 38-yard field goal on fourth down with 6 minutes 1 second left rather than try for a first down. The field goal, converted by Mason Crosby, pulled the Packers within one at 14-13. The Packers perhaps forfeited the chance to win the game on that drive. Instead, it was another kicking test. Crosby and Dave Rayner are battling for the kicking duties. . . . Abdul Hodge missed an open-field tackle before the 2-minute warning.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Bishop a hit in bid to impress
By GREG A. BEDARD

Green Bay - The competition for the Green Bay Packers' No. 2 middle linebacker spot might have ended with the sound of a bell Thursday night at Lambeau Field.

Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Reggie Williams getting his bell rung by linebacker Desmond Bishop early in the second quarter, to be precise.

It was not only the highlight of the Packers' 21-13 loss to the Jaguars, it was likely the biggest defensive play of the exhibition season so far for the entire team.

"Certainly that was a big hit in the game," Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "Plays like that ignite you as a defense."

On the fifth play after Bishop relieved starting middle linebacker Nick Barnett, Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich connected with Williams on a short crossing pattern over the middle. Bishop hit Williams so hard his helmet went flying in the other direction, much to the delight of Packers fans who oohed and aahed each time the play was replayed on the stadium scoreboards.

"It was a great hit, a great hit," said Barnett, who was beaming like a proud father. "(Bishop) read the play, saw the receiver coming across and ran through him. A great play."

The play was the highlight of a strong overall game by Bishop, the sixth-round draft pick out of California. He led the team officially with five tackles - all unassisted - but was around the ball for much of the quarter-and-a-half he played with the second-team defense.

"I kind of feel like I got the monkey off my back with that hit," said Bishop, who nearly had an interception in the fourth quarter. "Then I could just play and have fun and compete."

Bishop said his growing familiarity with the Packers' defensive scheme had freed him to make plays on the fly.

"I could just read and react instead of thinking so much," Bishop said.

Barnett said Bishop's improvement was evident standing on the sideline.

"I thought it was probably his best preseason game," Barnett said. "I'm sure he's still got things to work on, just like everybody else, but I thought he had a pretty strong game."

That should be good enough for Bishop to solidify his place on the depth chart ahead of Abdul Hodge, the Packers' third-round pick in 2006 who has slipped mightily since being the talk of training camp last year.

Hodge didn't appear in the game until 5 minutes 48 seconds were left in the third quarter. His unit promptly gave up a touchdown on the next possession as Jacksonville erased an early 10-0 deficit to lead, 14-10.

Bishop brought energy to the second-teamers but Hodge appeared lethargic and totaled only one tackle in the same amount of playing time that Bishop had. Hodge's most blatant mistake came on the 29-yard reception by Jaguars running back D.D. Terry late in the fourth quarter on a dump pass from quarterback Quinn Gray.

Hodge's problems were likely due in part to chronic patellar tendinitis in both his knees. Those health problems could ultimately be responsible for him not making the final roster, although Sanders wouldn't yet write off Hodge.

"He's done some good things," Sanders said.

And despite his best game as a pro, Bishop wasn't ready to claim victory when he was asked whether he had done enough to beat out Hodge.

"Possibly," Bishop said. "But that's up to the coaches to decide. We'll just have to see."

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Good outing marred by mental mistake
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - You can see why the Green Bay Packers like rookie wide receiver James Jones so much.

You can also see how he just might turn the rest of quarterback Brett Favre's hair gray.

In the Packers' 21-13 exhibition loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday night at Lambeau Field, Jones alternated looking like the wide receiver who could inject new life into the Packers' offense and a liability who could strangle the life out of a drive with a costly mental error. It was only his third NFL game, but his uneven performance sounded a warning alarm about his readiness for the regular season.

"I hold myself to a high standard," Jones said after the game. "I want to play better. But you're never going to play a perfect game. I want to learn from this and get ready (for the regular season)."

Jones' role come Sept. 9 could be much bigger than expected if the right foot injury suffered by starting receiver Donald Driver is serious. Driver has rebounded quickly from injury in the past and the Packers have two weeks until the opener, but no one knows for sure whether he'll be available.

The Packers will be OK if the good Jones shows up in the regular season.

On Thursday night, he continued to show aplomb running short routes across the field and making himself a big target, hauling in six passes for 80 yards and getting wide open at the goal line for what would have been a touchdown had Favre's pass not been batted down at the line of scrimmage midway through the second quarter.

All six of Jones' receptions resulted in first downs, including five in which he caught the ball short of the marker and gained the needed yardage to move the chains. He caught three consecutive passes for 23, 11 and 14 yards during a second-quarter touchdown drive led by backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

"James Jones is extremely bright," Rodgers said. "He's done a great job mentally. I'm not worried about him. I think he's going to have a good season. He continues to improve and he'll be an important part of our offense."

As impressive as his plays were, he also failed to react to a blitz read on the third play of the game and instead of breaking off his route he ran down the field. Favre was facing a two-man blitz off his left side and looked to hit Jones in the flat, but had to take a sack when Jones wasn't there.

Favre slammed the ball down on the ground after picking himself up off the ground, obviously frustrated with Jones' failure to read a single-safety coverage that requires him to cut off his route.

"We're supposed to read the coverage," said Jones, a third-round pick. "Brett just told me to be decisive with my route. That's something I'll learn from."

Despite the mistake, Favre came back to Jones on the same drive and threw a short pass to him for a first down on third and 3, and on the next series hit him on an in-route on third and 10. Jones had the first down and more, but safety Sammy Knight grabbed both of his arms from behind and the ball came shooting loose.

Jacksonville recovered at its 43 to kill the drive.

On the next series, Favre went to Jones on third down again. Jones ran a crossing route but when he ran into traffic in the middle of the field he stopped. Favre led Jones with the pass, which skidded onto the turf several yards to Jones' left, ending the drive.

"He should have kept coming," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "It's not a settle route where you read the coverage. We have guys running off the route. He should have continued."

In his halftime comments distributed to reporters through the Packers' public relations department, Favre did not single out Jones but made reference to the No. 1 offense being "off with some route running."

Despite the mistakes, the powerful Jones proved again he can do something when the ball is in his hands.

On the scoring drive, he took advantage of cornerback Rashean Mathis' gamble to intercept an out route along the sideline and turned a short pass into a 23-yard reception. On the next play, Jones caught a pass at the line of scrimmage after a scramble by Rodgers and turned up field for an 11-yard gain.

He came back again and caught an in route and turned it upfield for a 14-yard gain, setting up the Packers with a first down at the 12-yard line.

"I think he's shown he can be productive," Philbin said. "You don't want to say you can overlook his mistakes, but you feel better about it when you see him make things happen. We anticipate him getting better and keep coming along."

RashanGary
08-24-2007, 06:43 AM
McGinn thought they played pretty well. I did too.

They didn't run well, but they Jags seemed to be a team that focuses on stoppping the run first and I think the Packers might not have been cut blcoking in the preseason as a courtesy to the probowl DT's. Same way guys don't crush Favre in the preseason.

The best thing about the preseason is that their #1's have beaten three playoff caliber teams. Last year and the year before we got crushed iwth our #1 units.

The worst thing is the Driver injury and the run game. They have not run the ball well. Morency will be back in the reg season opener so hopefully that gives us a little boost. Hopefully they start doing more cuts once the reg season starts too. They seemed to be boing belly to belly with the big probowl DT's and that just isn't the way to win that battle.

RashanGary
08-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Wow, McCarthy seemed pretty up beat about the Driver injury. He made it seem pretty minor. For some reason though, I just wonder about foot injuries. They are a little more rare and they seem to linger. If Favre can get comfortable with Jennings and Jones, it might end up paying off later in the season. Our defense and ST's have to play great now for the first 4 or 6 weeks or whatever it is that Driver is out.

Partial
08-24-2007, 07:38 AM
McGinn thought they played pretty well. I did too.

They didn't run well, but they Jags seemed to be a team that focuses on stoppping the run first and I think the Packers might not have been cut blcoking in the preseason as a courtesy to the probowl DT's. Same way guys don't crush Favre in the preseason.

The best thing about the preseason is that their #1's have beaten three playoff caliber teams. Last year and the year before we got crushed iwth our #1 units.

The worst thing is the Driver injury and the run game. They have not run the ball well. Morency will be back in the reg season opener so hopefully that gives us a little boost. Hopefully they start doing more cuts once the reg season starts too. They seemed to be boing belly to belly with the big probowl DT's and that just isn't the way to win that battle.

They were definitely cutting and have been all season so far.

Partial
08-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Insider: Barnett's everywhere on defense

Thumbs up

If Nick Barnett's post-tackle Green Giant pose gets under your skin, it was best the Packers' middle linebacker only stayed on the field one play into the second quarter on Thursday night.

On Jacksonville's second drive alone, Barnett sniffed out an end-around and dropped Reggie Williams after a 1-yard gain; stuffed Maurice Jones-Drew on third-and-1; then ended the drive by wrapping up Jones-Drew off the left edge for no gain on fourth-and-1.

Barnett also broke up a pass on third-and-6 on the Jaguars' first possession, but the play was called back because of an illegal-use-of-hands penalty. And he was in coverage when a fourth-down pass on that drive bounced off Jones-Drew's hands.

It didn't matter A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga weren't involved in a tackle before they, too, left the game after Jacksonville's second drive. Barnett was everywhere.

After giving Barnett a six-year deal in April that could be worth $35 million, the Packers have to hope performances like this are commonplace come September.

Thumbs down

The Jaguars ranked fourth in the NFL in rushing defense last season, but that doesn't get the Packers off the hook for another punchless effort on the ground.

In the first quarter, second-round pick Brandon Jackson had four carries for 4 yards (with a fumble) and Noah Herron one for none. In the second, Jackson had the only four carries and gained 6 yards.

That's nine carries for 10 yards with a long of 3 in the half. Meanwhile, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers combined to throw 27 passes.

It would be silly to place all the blame on Jackson and sixth-round draft pick Korey Hall, the converted (or is it converting?) linebacker who made his third consecutive start at fullback. With the exception of Jackson's 1-yard scoring plunge, he didn't have too much space to work with behind a line that lost right guard Jason Spitz to a calf injury early.

Brandon Miree, projected before camp to be the starting fullback, returned to action after a two-week absence, and his injured shoulder appeared to hold up just fine on a low block that helped spring Jackson's scoring run. However, the running game didn't accelerate when Miree came on the field early in the second quarter.

If the Packers are waiting for Vernand Morency to return from his knee sprain and remind everyone what a zone-scheme runner has to do, they may be disappointed.

Did you notice?

Atari Bigby and Marquand Manuel stood side-by-side on the sideline in the fourth quarter, apparently exchanging notes about a receiver. It was an interesting pose for the Packers' strong safety candidates, whose roles were swapped on game day for the first time Thursday. Bigby got the start, played the first three series and was credited with four tackles (three solo). Manuel replaced him alongside free safety Nick Collins for the next two series.

Who says the Packers' tight ends can't stretch the field? Midway through the second quarter, Bubba Franks caught a pass over the middle and ran for a 25-yard gain with three defenders in tow. Donald Lee followed with a 20-yard grab down the seam. On the next play, two defenders picked up Lee on another seam route, freeing Greg Jennings for a 14-yard catch over the middle and another first down.

Backup middle linebacker Desmond Bishop, playing ahead of Abdul Hodge, had the hit of the night when he knocked off Williams' helmet on a crossing pattern. Williams held on for a 4-yard gain.

Dave Rayner was back in front of rookie Mason Crosby, a week after Crosby handled the first field-goal attempt against Seattle. Rayner hit a 22-yard field goal, an extra point and kickoffs that went 5 and 9 yards deep in the end zone. Crosby didn't hurt himself, booting his first kickoff 5 yards deep and hitting a 38-yard field goal in the fourth quarter. His last kickoff just crossed the goal line.

Partial
08-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Running game goes nowhere fast
Mike Woods

Now, if the Packers were tuning up for the Grey Cup or the Arena Bowl, then Thursday's organized practice session against Jacksonville would have been uplifting.

They threw the ball all over the yard in the first half, and reasonably well at that, as Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers combined for 201 yards on 19-of-27 attempts and a 91.7 rating.

It was the kind of performance that would have forced the Edmonton Eskimos to stand up and take notice.

Unfortunately, the Packers are card-carrying members of that more popular league, the NFL, where running the football is a requirement for success.

If you're a believer the third preseason game is the most important dress rehearsal, then the Packers' running game was caught with its pants down during a 21-13 preseason loss to the Jaguars.

The Packers attempted only nine runs and totaled 10 yards, for an unacceptable 1.1-yard average per tote after the first two quarters, the time when the field was monopolized by the first-teamers.

"We did not run the ball very well at all,'' said Packers coach Mike McCarthy, author of the obvious. "We need to do a better job there.''

Rookie Brandon Jackson, the Packers' designated rainmaker by virtue of injury to Vernand Morency, was no more effective than Green Bay legend Paul Ott Caruth. He finished the first 30 minutes with 10 yards on eight tries, with a long, ah, run of 9 feet.

To lay the blame entirely at his feet would be misguided. He wasn't given the opportunity to work up a lather. Not once in the first half was he given the ball on consecutive plays, a decision made by McCarthy.

On the Packers' first scoring drive of the second quarter, Jackson got the ball on the first play, then watched as Favre threw the ball the next nine plays. On the Packers' next scoring drive, it was Jackson for 1 yard, seven straight passes down to the Jaguars' 1, then Jackson finished.

This was not a balanced offense; it was one-dimensional.

"We definitely had more pass plays called, and a couple of the runs we checked to pass,'' center Scott Wells said. "So, we took a lot of shots in the passing game, and it paid off for us. We had a lot of large completions that generated a lot of positive yards in the passing games.

"But, I think the coaches will definitely want us to be more two-dimensional and have more of a running attack. You need to average 2, 3 and 5 yards a carry, at least.''

It was a curious decision not to even make an honest attempt to establish the run, as McCarthy often has said one of his goals is to get his team to start faster.

If he has any hope of this group avoiding a fourth consecutive 1-4 beginning — and keep in mind, the Eagles, Giants, Chargers, Vikings and Bears are first out of the gate — a 3-to-1 pass-to-run ratio, as was the case in the first half, is not going to get it done.

If you believe it doesn't matter, let's put this in perspective. Of the 12 teams that made the playoffs last year, all averaged at least 102 rushing yards a game, and 10 of 12 averaged at least 110 yards an outing. This is not some kind of aberration; it's a fact.

The Packers finished Thursday's game with 81 yards, but 59 came in the fourth quarter, when the benchwarmers took center stage.

You can take solace in the knowledge that this didn't mean a thing. You can reason that when Morency returns, things will improve. You can appreciate that Favre, rookie receiver James Jones and the passing game look regular-season ready, and Donald Driver's foot injury does not appear to be serious.

You can feel good that the defense continues to look promising.

But if the Packers hope to improve on their eight wins of a year ago, if they are to get where they hope to go, then the running game is going to have to hit the ground running when the regular season opens in two weeks.

In that respect, time is running short.

Partial
08-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Driver's injury is only a scare
Tom Pelissero

The scariest moment in an injury-filled month for the Green Bay Packers came late in the second quarter Thursday night, when an ankle tackle put Pro Bowl receiver Donald Driver on a cart to the locker room.

Driver sprained his right foot on the play. Coach Mike McCarthy said the ninth-year pro was in good spirits after the game. Driver was to undergo further tests today to determine the severity of the injury, but McCarthy said indications were it's not serious.

Quarterback Brett Favre had left the game before Driver slipped a Terry Cousin tackle and was wrapped up low by Jaguars safety Sammy Knight near the Packers sideline with a little less than 3 minutes to play in the first half. Driver stayed on the ground briefly, then hopped to the sideline and rode into the locker room.

"It's natural to say, 'Geez, I wish I'd have took him out with Brett.' And I did, to myself, and now I'm saying it here in front of a microphone," McCarthy said. "That's part of the game. It's unfortunate. Hopefully, it's not serious."

Driver was not available to reporters after the game.

McCarthy said all week he wouldn't play his starters the customary three quarters in the team's third preseason game, in part to avoid injuries. Driver was injured on what probably would have been his final series.

The starting offense also lost right guard Jason Spitz, who left after only one drive because of a recurring calf problem. McCarthy said he removed Spitz as soon as the second-year pro reported a problem.

Montgomery has scope

Defensive end Michael Montgomery is expected to miss four to six weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery Wednesday on his injured right knee.

Montgomery was one of four players to sustain medial collateral ligament injuries against Seattle. His was believed to be the worst, but the scope showed the injury isn't as serious as feared, McCarthy said.

Another reserve end, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, was the most notable among 11 Packers who didn't dress for Thursday's game. He didn't practice this week and is nursing a bruised knee. McCarthy said Gbaja-Biamila likely will sit out next week against Tennessee as a precaution, as well.

Blackmon's the guy

A week after a pair of impressive returns, second-year pro Will Blackmon didn't get his hands on one Thursday — and didn't need to.

"It's safe to say Will Blackmon will be our starting returner when we play against Philadelphia (in the regular-season opener Sept. 9)," McCarthy said. "I felt confident after watching him in the first two games, so I really wanted to find out about the other guys."

Carlton Brewster returned three kickoffs for 69 yards, and Tramon Williams had the only punt return for 6 yards.

Odds and ends

Starters will play only one series in next week's preseason finale at Tennessee, and Favre may not play at all, McCarthy said. … Linebacker Brian Iwuh intercepted Ingle Martin and ran 24 yards for a touchdown with 48 seconds to play, turning a one-point game into the final 21-13 margin. "I'd say it was either a poor decision or a poor throw, one of the two," McCarthy said. … Rookie Corey White was one of the bright spots in the second half, running for 60 yards on 11 carries. McCarthy said coaches made an adjustment to an inside-zone look, which helped open holes. … Other Packers inactives were WR Shaun Bodiford; RBs P.J. Pope, Vernand Morency and DeShawn Wynn; FB Ryan Powdrell; G Tony Palmer; Ts Orrin Thompson and Tony Moll; and DE DeVon Hicks. All are injured.… Ten Jaguars didn't dress, including two starters — right guard Chris Naeole and OLB Clint Ingram. … Jacksonville QB Quinn Gray dressed in spite of the death of his father, Otis, on Thursday morning after a lengthy illness. Otis Gray was a renowned football coach in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Quinn Gray said in a statement he wanted to play "because that is what my dad would want me to do." … Newly signed FB Erryn Cobb was flagged for a personal foul with 35 seconds to play. … Entering Thursday, the Packers were 24-21-1 all-time in the Bishop's Charity Game, but they had lost four in a row. … Two Super Hornet F-18 Navy jets flew over at the end of the national anthem. … Jacksonville wraps up its preseason slate Thursday against the Washington Redskins.

Partial
08-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Proceed with caution
JASON WILDE

he third preseason game is supposed to be the one in which coaches find out the most about their teams.

Emphasis on supposed to be.

One got the feeling Thursday night that even had Mike McCarthy played his starters into the third quarter — as is typical during the third exhibition tilt — the Green Bay Packers coach still wouldn't have gotten all the answers he was looking for during his team's 21-13 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars at Lambeau Field.

Nonetheless, McCarthy thought the team progressed despite not looking as good as it did in Saturday night's blowout win over Seattle.

"I think we're getting better each week and that's what's important," said McCarthy, whose team wraps up preseason play next Thursday night at Tennessee.

"I think there's growth throughout our football team. I think you look at all three phases that you can point to things that are improving. ... I think we're improving all the time. ... We're further ahead than we were last week."

Still, there are some troubling uncertainties, chief among them being the running game and the status of No. 1 wide receiver Donald Driver, who suffered a sprained right foot shortly before halftime.

Driver went down with 2 minutes, 38 seconds left in the first half, after fighting for extra yards on a 12-yard catch. He was helped off the field and carted to the locker room at the 2-minute warning and did not return.

"It's classified as a foot sprain," McCarthy said. "He's in good spirits. We'll have more information (today)."

Asked if team physician Pat McKenzie suggested it could be a Lisfranc injury — the type of foot injury that ended Robert Ferguson's season last year — McCarthy said it wasn't.

"That word was never mentioned," McCarthy said.

Given Driver's importance to the otherwise young offense, the Packers can't afford for him to miss the Sept. 9 regular-season opener against Philadelphia. Especially if the ground game struggles as it did Thursday night.

With would-be starter Vernand Morency out since the July 28 start of training camp with a strained patellar tendon in his right knee, rookie second-round pick Brandon Jackson got his third start and carried 11 times for a measly 20 yards against the Jaguars' stout defense.

In the first half — the Packers did gain 194 yards through the air — Jackson ran eight times for just 10 yards, while third-down back Noah Herron was stopped for no gain on his only carry.

"Not much and not well," was how offensive coordinator Joe Philbin summed up the ground attack. "We knew going in we were going to throw the ball (more), but we've got to run the ball better, obviously."

The run game didn't get untracked until the fourth quarter, when undrafted rookie Corey White ran 11 times for 60 yards.

"Corey White had a decent fourth quarter, but against their 1s, we've got to be able to run the ball more effectively," backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "We've got to establish a run game to take pressure off of Brett and the passing game."

The No. 1 offense didn't put points on the board until its fourth possession, when Favre (14-for-20 for 130 yards and a 87.5 rating) led an 11-play, 76-yard drive to set up Dave Rayner's 22-yard field goal with 5:20 left in the half.

"We were productive in the sense of moving the ball, but we didn't get a lot of points," said Favre, who twice saw rookie wide receiver James Jones run incorrect routes at key times. "That's how you judge, with points and wins and losses. We were off with some route-running. We still have a long way to go, but it was productive."

The Packers' No. 1 defense, meanwhile, pitched a shutout for its third straight solid performance.

"We're doing some good things," defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "We had some fourth-down stops, some good third-down defense. We've still got the rest of the preseason to go, but we certainly played solid."

When Rodgers took over, the backup quarterback drove Green Bay to its only touchdown.

Driver's catch got the drive started, and Rodgers got the Packers in position for Jackson's 1-yard TD plunge with three straight completions to Jones for gains of 23, 11 and 14 yards.

The best play, though, came when Rodgers narrowly avoided the rush to hit Jackson, who juked linebacker Daryl Smith and picked up 11 yards on a third-and-10 from the Jaguars' 12. That play set up the TD for a 10-0 lead.

That lead disintegrated once the defensive backups took over.

The group allowed the Jaguars to take the lead with two touchdown drives, the second of which came on a 25-yard David Garrard-to-George Wrighster pass on third-and-goal from the 25.

The Jaguars (2-1) then sealed the victory when Packers third-string quarterback Ingle Martin was intercepted by linebacker Brian Iwuh, who returned the pick 24 yards for a TD with 48 seconds left.

"I wouldn't say it was a prime performance," right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "We struggled. There's no question we need to run the football better in order to be successful. They're a good defense, but in the same respect, I don't think we executed what we wanted to do very well.

"I still feel good. I might be optimistic, but I feel good. We obviously didn't run the ball well, and we obviously have a ways to go, but we're moving in the right direction."

Partial
08-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Driver sprains foot
JASON WILDE

The Green Bay Packers' green-as-grass offense could be even more inexperienced on opening day after No. 1 wide receiver Donald Driver injured his right foot during the Packers' 21-13 loss to Jacksonville.

Coach Mike McCarthy said the severity of the injury won't be known until today but that the medical staff told him it was a "foot sprain."

"I don't have a diagnosis as far as weeks go," McCarthy said, leaving the impression that Driver could be in jeopardy of missing the Sept. 9 regular-season opener against Philadelphia.

Driver, who earned his second Pro Bowl selection last season when he caught 92 passes for 1,295 yards, was doing what he always does — fighting for extra yardage — when he was hurt.

Driver caught a pass over the middle, then broke tackles by Terry Cousin and Brian Williams. Driver was then taken down by safety Sammy Knight, and his right foot got caught underneath him. He was helped to the sideline and driven up the tunnel in cart just before the 2-minute warning for halftime.

• Meanwhile, starting right guard Jason Spitz also left the game after he aggravated a calf injury during the first half. McCarthy said he took out Spitz as a precaution.

Bigby starts

Safety Atari Bigby started ahead of veteran Marquand Manuel, as expected, but he wasn't spectacular as he was against Seattle on Saturday, when he had two sacks and caused a fumble.

Still, he got more work with the No. 1s than Manuel, who entered the game with a mish-mash of mostly starters and several backups on Jacksonville's third offensive series.

"I don't know where I'm going to be on the depth chart," said Bigby, who had four tackles. "But I feel like I'm playing pretty good football right now. I went out there and did my job. I'm not going to go out there and force any plays. I'm going to keep what I have to keep in front of me, tackle when I have to tackle and support when I have to support."

• After picking off two passes — and dropping a third — last week against Seattle, Jarrett Bush got the nod as the No. 3 cornerback, ahead of Patrick Dendy.

Done deal

McCarthy made up his mind prior to the game that Will Blackmon would be his primary return man for the regular season — so he didn't use the second-year cornerback Thursday night.

"I think it's safe to say Will Blackmon will be our starting returner when we play against Philadelphia," McCarthy said of Blackmon, who had an 83-yard kickoff return on Saturday night against Seattle.

Bishop takes his shot

Rookie sixth-round pick Desmond Bishop entered the game ahead of Abdul Hodge when starting middle linebacker Nick Barnett called it a night, and Bishop made an impression on his fifth play.

When Jaguars receiver Reggie Williams took a Byron Leftwich pass on a crossing route, Bishop was waiting. He drilled the receiver with such force that Williams' helmet popped off.

"Tonight was important. We know cuts are right around the corner," said Bishop, who tied for the team lead with five tackles. "I tried the best I could to make a statement."

Extra points

Although they have until 3 p.m. Tuesday, the Packers are expected to pare their roster to the required maximum of 75 players today. ... Eleven players didn't dress for the Packers: Wide receiver/kick returner Shaun Bodiford (knee), rookie fullback Ryan Powdrell (knee), defensive end Mike Montgomery (knee); backup left tackle Orrin Thompson (knee); defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee); halfbacks P.J. Pope (knee), DeShawn Wynn (quadriceps) and Vernand Morency (knee); defensive end DeVon Hicks (groin); guard Tony Palmer (hamstring); and backup right tackle Tony Moll (stinger).

Partial
08-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Jones plays tune of hit-and-miss
JASON WILDE

Imagine what James Jones will be capable of when he actually knows what he's doing.

For while the Green Bay Packers impressive rookie wide receiver had yet another productive preseason game Thursday night — catching six passes for 80 yards in the Packers' 21-13 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars at Lambeau Field — the third-round pick from San Jose State also incurred the wrath of Brett Favre with a pair of route mistakes that left the veteran quarterback fuming.

Jones also lost a fumble on a 14-yard catch-and-run.

"My back's against the wall because I'm still making a lot of mistakes and I still have to do a lot of things right," said Jones, who leads the Packers in receiving this preseason with 16 catches for 196 yards and two touchdowns. "I'm definitely going to have to step it up and be more prepared.

"(Favre) just said, 'Be decisive.' He didn't know what I was going to do, whether I was going to stop or go. It was just miscommunication. He told me to learn from it. We'll get it right."

Given that Jones' role could expand from being the third wideout if No. 1 receiver Donald Driver's injured right foot proves to be a serious injury, he has to get it right.

Jones' first mistake came on the Packers' third play from scrimmage, when Favre faced a blitz and pumped in Jones' direction, only to pull the ball back down and take a 7-yard sack.

Jones ran a go route on the play when he was supposed to cut the route off after seeing the coverage, causing Favre to yank off his chinstrap in frustration afterward.

Jones bounced back two plays later and made a terrific move against Jaguars cornerback Terry Cousin to pick up a first down on a third-and-12 pass from Favre that went for 15 yards, but on the next series, Jones caught a third-and-10 slant from Favre and had the first down when he fumbled.

And on the series that followed, Favre threw incomplete to Jones on a third-and-9 play, and the frustrated quarterback could be seen gesturing to Jones how the route should have been run.

Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said Jones stopped the route when he should have kept going.

"Once again, he made some plays, (but) I don't know that he reads coverages exactly the way you want him to every time," Philbin said. "He's a young player, he's certainly shown a lot of promise, but he's still got a long way to go."

After Favre departed, Jones continued his connection with backup Aaron Rodgers on the next series when he caught three consecutive passes from Rodgers: a 23-yarder along the right sideline, an 11-yarder to the right side and a 14-yarder across the middle, eventually leading to halfback Brandon Jackson's 1-yard touchdown run.

"I'd say it's atypical for James Jones (to make those mistakes). Because I think he's had a great camp," Rodgers said. "He's extremely bright, he's done a great job mentally. It's just a feel, understanding coverages. I thought he did a great job, minus (those two plays). I'm not worried about James Jones. He's going to be an important part of our offense."

Partial
08-24-2007, 08:03 AM
NOT NEW, BUT WORTH POSTING

Surplus talent may not be a bargain
JASON WILDE

Ted Thompson 's degree from Southern Methodist is in business administration, so the Green Bay Packers general manager understands the nature of supply-and-demand. He gets how it applies to football personnel work and trades, too.

For although his team has both -- defensive tackles and a kicker to spare on the supply side, a need for another tight end and perhaps a running back on the demand side -- there 's no guarantee he 'll be able to strike a deal before the regular season begins Sept. 9.

In fact, at defensive tackle, where the Packers are arguably six deep, Thompson hinted Monday that he may horde talent to protect the team against injury later in the year.

"Historically speaking, if you have good big men, you try to hang onto those good big men, " said Thompson, whose team has Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly, Colin Cole and first-round pick Justin Harrell on the interior defensive line, with undrafted rookie Daniel Muir opening eyes as well. "Because they 're hard to find if you get hurt later on. "

While training camp trades do happen -- the Denver Broncos traded defensive tackle Gerard Warren to the Oakland Raiders Monday morning for a middle-round draft pick, for instance -- they can be difficult because teams increasingly get into cut-down mode as the end of camp approaches, Thompson said.

The first NFL-mandated roster reduction, to 75 players, is Aug. 28; the final cutdown, to 53 players, is Sept. 1. The Packers ' roster stands at 88.

"You go through so much angst in terms of getting down to your 53, but then to trade for somebody, then you have to get down to 52 to make room for that one (extra player), and some teams just are not comfortable doing that. They 'd rather play with the guys they have and then add to it as they go through the season, " Thompson said. "Other teams are less concerned about it. "

Thompson falls in the latter category. In his first year as GM, in 2005, he made a player-for-player trade (cornerback Chris Johnson to St. Louis for linebacker Robert Thomas) and a deal for a future draft pick (tackle Steve Morley to the New York Jets for a seventh-round pick).

Last year, Thompson didn 't swing any cutdown-day deals, but he did claim cornerback Jarrett Bush (Carolina), safety Charlie Peprah (New York Giants) and guard Tony Palmer (St. Louis) on waivers. All three spent the entire season on the roster.

"We 'll see how the whole final roster thing works out, " Thompson said.

Thompson and his personnel staff have created their own depth charts of all 31 other teams and know which teams have surplus talent and needs at which positions. In the meantime, those players who could potentially be dealt were trying not to think about the possibility.

"There 's 32 teams in this league, and if you can play, you can play. It may not be here, because the depth is (good), but the opportunity to play will present itself, " Cole said. "Whatever way this whole situation shakes itself out, we can 't predict it. We can 't make the decisions for the coaches. Obviously one of us isn 't going to make it. (But) if there 's another team out there that 's interested (in one of the tackles), then they 'll do whatever they 've got to do. "

Williams, a starter entering the final year of his contract, said he 'd like to earn a contract extension -- despite the drafting of Harrell this spring.

"Obviously it 's not my decision. So if not, I 'll be sad, but I 'll head on to the next team and do the same thing that I was doing here, there, " Williams said. "That 's my main focus right now, having a great season. The contract will take care of itself, whether it comes from here or comes from somewhere else. I hope it comes from here, because this is where I 'd like to be. "

The Packers are unlikely to find a taker for whoever loses the kicking competition, incumbent Dave Rayner or rookie sixth-round pick Mason Crosby. Many teams are set at the position, and it 's unlikely a team will give up a late-round pick knowing one of them will have to be cut anyway.

The last time the Packers had two worthwhile kickers was in 1998, when incumbent Ryan Longwell staved off 1997 third-round pick Brett Conway 's comeback attempt. The Packers ended up trading Conway to the New York Jets Aug. 21, 1998 for a conditional draft pick, but they never got anything for him because Conway didn 't make the Jets ' roster.

At this point, it appears Crosby has a slight lead over Rayner, although special teams coordinator Mike Stock said Saturday the two remain even.

"My mind-set 's going to stay the same. Regardless of where I am. I 've got to keep working and stay focused on making the team, " Crosby said. "I can 't let thoughts about where I 'm at in this deal slip in there. "

Rayner said he has no doubt he 'll be kicking for someone this season, although he 's not checking rosters on

NFL.com

to see where he could end up if he 's dealt.

"I 'm not doing any of that stuff, " Rayner said. "I 'm looking at it as, I 'm kicking really well right now, and I think their decision is going to be really tough. I 'm kind of beyond the whole freaking-out-about-stuff (phase). I 'm just going to do what I 'm doing right now, what I did last year, and it 's out of my hands. "

]{ilr]3
08-24-2007, 10:24 AM
[quote="JustinHarrell"]McGinn thought they played pretty well. I did too.

[quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I was watching for some cut blocking during the runs and either the Jags DT's were able to stand our O-line up and limit the Cut Blocking or we we playing nice.