PDA

View Full Version : Post Game three Pre-Season. Running game goes nowhere fast

woodbuck27
08-24-2007, 03:31 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070824/PKR07/708240690/1947

Posted August 24, 2007

Mike Woods column: Running game goes nowhere fast

By Mike Woods

Now, if the Packers were tuning up for the Grey Cup or the Arena Bowl, then Thursday's organized practice session against Jacksonville would have been uplifting.

They threw the ball all over the yard in the first half, and reasonably well at that, as Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers combined for 201 yards on 19-of-27 attempts and a 91.7 rating.

It was the kind of performance that would have forced the Edmonton Eskimos to stand up and take notice.

Unfortunately, the Packers are card-carrying members of that more popular league, the NFL, where running the football is a requirement for success.

If you're a believer the third preseason game is the most important dress rehearsal, then the Packers' running game was caught with its pants down during a 21-13 preseason loss to the Jaguars.

The Packers attempted only nine runs and totaled 10 yards, for an unacceptable 1.1-yard average per tote after the first two quarters, the time when the field was monopolized by the first-teamers.

"We did not run the ball very well at all,'' said Packers coach Mike McCarthy, author of the obvious.

"We need to do a better job there.''

Rookie Brandon Jackson, the Packers' designated rainmaker by virtue of injury to Vernand Morency, was no more effective than Green Bay legend Paul Ott Caruth. He finished the first 30 minutes with 10 yards on eight tries, with a long, ah, run of 9 feet.

To lay the blame entirely at his feet would be misguided. He wasn't given the opportunity to work up a lather. Not once in the first half was he given the ball on consecutive plays, a decision made by McCarthy.

On the Packers' first scoring drive of the second quarter, Jackson got the ball on the first play, then watched as Favre threw the ball the next nine plays.

On the Packers' next scoring drive, it was Jackson for 1 yard, seven straight passes down to the Jaguars' 1, then Jackson finished.

This was not a balanced offense; it was one-dimensional.

"We definitely had more pass plays called, and a couple of the runs we checked to pass,'' center Scott Wells said.

"So, we took a lot of shots in the passing game, and it paid off for us. We had a lot of large completions that generated a lot of positive yards in the passing games.

"But, I think the coaches will definitely want us to be more two-dimensional and have more of a running attack. You need to average 2, 3 and 5 yards a carry, at least.''

It was a curious decision not to even make an honest attempt to establish the run, as McCarthy often has said one of his goals is to get his team to start faster.

If he has any hope of this group avoiding a fourth consecutive 1-4 beginning — and keep in mind, the Eagles, Giants, Chargers, Vikings and Bears are first out of the gate —

a 3-to-1 pass-to-run ratio, as was the case in the first half, is not going to get it done.

If you believe it doesn't matter, let's put this in perspective.

Of the 12 teams that made the playoffs last year, all averaged at least 102 rushing yards a game, and 10 of 12 averaged at least 110 yards an outing. This is not some kind of aberration; it's a fact.

The Packers finished Thursday's game with 81 yards, but 59 came in the fourth quarter, when the benchwarmers took center stage.

You can take solace in the knowledge that this didn't mean a thing.

You can reason that when Morency returns, things will improve. You can appreciate that Favre, rookie receiver James Jones and the passing game look regular-season ready, and Donald Driver's foot injury does not appear to be serious.

You can feel good that the defense continues to look promising.

But if the Packers hope to improve on their eight wins of a year ago, if they are to get where they hope to go, then the running game is going to have to hit the ground running when the regular season opens in two weeks.

In that respect, time is running short.

Mike Woods writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at mwoods@postcrescent.com

Comment woodbuck27:

Now. . .is anyone really surprized? You didn't have to be Nostradomus to see this coming months ago, before and after the draft.

Funny that Ted Thompson missed it.

Partial
08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Posted already

woodbuck27
08-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Posted already

Sorry if it's a post within a thread already.

This has to stand by itself. We can't run from it anymore.

It's time to get REAL.

BallHawk
08-24-2007, 03:44 PM
We were playing a team that allows under 100 rushing yards a game. They're like the Vikings, you just don't run against them.

Partial
08-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Then I will post my thoughts.

I think this article is really stupid because running games generally are most effective in the 2nd half. Remember Ahman Green being a back who historically got stronger as the game wore on? How does this thought process take that fact into account?

Likewise, we moved the ball fairly well on the ground against Seattle. Pittsburg was a little shakey but they were a game ahead of us at that point. Last night we didn't run the ball well. But we did move the ball well. Ultimately, most teams in the league are going to have a tough time running the ball against the Jaguars. Hell, most teams are going to have a tough time moving the ball period. I would say it is far more significant that we moved the ball as well as we did than worrying about not being able to run the ball well against them. Points and results are what I look for. We outdid Jacksonville on both of those with our starters and 2nd stringers.

Jackson ran indecisively last night because there weren't a lot of holes open. I didn't notice it myself but several posters have commented on the Packers not cut blocking as much as they normally do. Perhaps if they did this they would have been more successful.

I think its a little too soon to start throwing up the white flag and giving up on the season and more specifically the running game. It would be completely ignorant to think there wouldn't be any troubles early in the season with how young and inexperienced our team is. By week 9 if they're still not putting up 100 yds/game on the ground than it will be time to reevaluate the situation.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
It's a legitimate concern, but I've been misled by preseason performances before.

MJZiggy
08-25-2007, 08:52 AM
It seems to me with his criticism of McCarthy's decision to pass more that if he'd stuck with running the ball when we were clearly moving it better with the pass, they'd have been all over his ass about that. He can't win with these people...

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm convinced that not cut blocking is a big part of why we are going no where. Typically the backside of the play is cut down and the back has a place to go if things don't open up on the stretch play. The backside has been collapsing on Jackson and he's had no where to go.

Let's wait till the regular season when our guys using all of their techniques before we jump to conclusions. The cut block is a very important part of our run scheme and it will make a difference come Sept. 9th.

Packnut
08-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Really the truth is something none of us want to really examine and that is the fact that Tausher and Cliffy are not suited to the ZBS. Now Some people can make all the excuses they want about cut blocking not being used but the fact is it was used all last season and it did'nt work.

Our biggest problem last year was back side pressure and it continues to be a problem and there are no signs of it being fixed. Taush and Cliffy are gold in pass protection and were very good in our power run game but they suck when it comes to our ZBS. I don't blame them. The problem starts with the people who were not football smart enough to understand that our guards were not suited for it and had no experience with it but insitituted it anyway.

http://pu2006.typepad.com/packer_update/

WHAT WE LEARNED - Veteran offensive tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher are still struggling to adapt to the zone blocking scheme. While all the attention gets focused on the young players inside when the running game struggles, the inability of Tauscher and Clifton to consistently execute the backside block too often gets overlooked.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2007, 09:39 AM
The problem starts with the people who were not football smart enough to understand that our guards were not suited for it and had no experience with it but insitituted it anyway.

Did you mean to say takles instead of guards?

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 10:48 AM
They'll be fine. The Oline has obviously taken big steps in both the physical and the mental aspects of the game. They are tying their hands without using the cut block. Sept 9th will be a different story.