PDA

View Full Version : That final drive with our 1st team D

RashanGary
08-24-2007, 11:40 PM
We had a 3rd and 1 after the long Leftwich run. We stuffed them, and then we had the 4th and 1.

The 3rd and 1, Poppinga filled hard and blew up the fullback, leaving the running back with one place to run. If Poppinga would have tried to get around the fullback to make the tackle rather than just doing his assignment, Drew might have broken a big gain outside. Instead, he forced the run inside where Barnett was filling just behind Poppinga. Poppinga stoned the FB and took him out of the play, allwoing Barnett to come free.

4th and 1 started with the D line. Drew went left while Williams and Pickett penetrated up the middle preventing any cut back. Kampman slide along the line, becoming an extra defender to push the pile back and Jenkins did a great job anchoring and holding his side together.

Again, Poppinga was the first to fill, taking on the fullback, this time sealing him inside allowing Barnett to have a clean shot at Drew. Barnett made the play, but again, if Poppinga hadn't bitch slapped the fullback, it wouldn't have been a stop.

We all give credit to the Dline as well we should. We give credit to Barnett and Hawk for making tackles, but we should also notice Poppinga becuase his physical presence consistantly takes the FB or TE out of the play so Barnett, Hawk, Collins, Bigby and company can make the play.

The defense is a well oiled machine right now. Everyone is doing their part and doing it well. Poppinga might not have the glamour job on the team, but he's doing the dirty work at a very high level. He might not record tackles becuase of the nature of his position but he's making plays that open things up for the other two. I think we have a good mix of LB talent and the makings of a dominate defense.

RashanGary
08-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Last year I had the Bears pegged as the team I thought would go to the SB becuase they had a lot of things all coming together at the same time.

They had a hole at QB, some WR and TE questions, but overall they had a very strong team and some continuity heading into last year.

This year we have a very similar situation. We're still getting good play for our HOF QB, our aging CB's and our bookend OT's. We have a young, promising core of the team ready to take a huge step forward and a veteran mix that is still playing well. We have a bunch of things coming together at once just liek the Bears of last year.

I think we are no doubt playoff competitive unless we get killed with injuries and possibly SB competitive. I know the Bears are proven, but some of the things with the ageing Oline, the aging S's, the lack of depth on the Dline, the hole at LB, losing Thomas Jones, ect. . . I just think they will take a small step back while we take a big step forward. I would say right now, I think this team is more than capable of beating the Bears and are my pick for the NFC NOrth.

Bretsky
08-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Big differences in talent between the Bears OL and RB last year and our OL and RB's this year IMO

I see you've broken into the house and licked all the kool aide up that I dumped onto the floor :lol:

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-24-2007, 11:55 PM
If we could just fix our secondary problems (giving up the big play) we would have a top 5 defense.

As I wrote that I was thinking that the weak point on our defense involves players such as Harris, Woodson, and Collins (not bad players to try and fix a problem with). We have potential to be great on defense.

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Big differences in talent between the Bears OL and RB last year and our OL and RB's this year IMO

I see you've broken into the house and licked all the kool aide up that I dumped onto the floor :lol:

They had Jones/Benson and we have Favre in place of Wrecks. I think our D is as strong as theirs and our O is equal as well (but different).

It's never to late to have a sip, B :P

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Everyone is going to say "yeah but last year Da Bears this" and "Last year Da Pack that"

Hey, I look at how things come together and I see patterns of growth. The Bears were my pick for the SB last year and this year I'm saying either the Pack or the Saints. Last year is last year. I use some of it, but I look at where things are heading as much as where they have been.

I'm fine with the flack I'll take. I had a shit load of people telling me teh Bears could never overcome Wrecks and now they are saying the Pack can never overcome Morency/Jackson.

I think we're all going to have fun watching this team regardless. I don't want the same old, same old fights so if anyone wants to disagree, my only response is "I just have to agree to disagree" because I'm pretty warn out with the "RB and TE suck so we will never win" debates :)

Bretsky
08-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Everyone is going to say "yeah but last year Da Bears this" and "Last year Da Pack that"

Hey, I look at how things come together and I see patterns of growth. The Bears were my pick for the SB last year and this year I'm saying either the Pack or the Saints. Last year is last year. I use some of it, but I look at where things are heading as much as where they have been.

I'm fine with the flack I'll take. I had a shit load of people telling me teh Bears could never overcome Wrecks and now they are saying the Pack can never overcome Morency/Jackson.

I think we're all going to have fun watching this team regardless. I don't want the same old, same old fights so if anyone wants to disagree, my only response is "I just have to agree to disagree" because I'm pretty wront out with the "RB and TE suck so we will never win" debates :)

You've officially stolen ALL of the forum KOOL AIDE

NONE is left for any of you now

I shouldn't have dumped all mine down the drain

:lol:

Bretsky
08-25-2007, 12:11 AM

They had Jones/Benson and we have Favre in place of Wrecks. I think our D is as strong as theirs and our O is equal as well (but different).

It's never to late to have a sip, B :P

It's all gone :lol:

IMO our defense is not as good as their talent last year. You are basically saying we have the best D in the NFL. You've clearly OD'd.

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2007, 12:14 AM
The GB defense could be very, very good. I think whether they can rise to great depends on the safeties. Might need some divine intervention there.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Easy JH :D , superbowl? I think this team is good, but there is still a lot to improve on, not just TE and RB. I can agree with playoffs though.

Joemailman
08-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Looks like RG has been here.

http://alt.cimedia.com/ajc/jpg/polinsider/koolaid1.JPG

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 12:20 AM
I pledge allegiance
To the the Team
Of the Green Bay Packers
One franchise
Under Ted
Indivisable
With winning
and championships for all

Bretsky
08-25-2007, 12:47 AM
I pledge allegiance
To the the Team
Of the Green Bay Packers
One franchise
Under Ted
Indivisable
With winning

I'm not convinced you're not drunk on Kool Aide

You're just drunk :lol:

Partial
08-25-2007, 12:49 AM
You're smoking crack.

I am a firm believer in the "any given sunday" policy come playoff time but there is not an ice cubes chance they get through this schedule and get a single game at lambeau let alone a bye or a a bye and two games at lambeau.

If they get into the playoffs, they're going to squeek in based on a lot of things going right late in the season. Their first half of the season is certainly monsterous.

That said, its possibly and maybe even likely if they continue to improve and develop a killer instinct to put games away (see St. Louis game of '06).

Hope for the playoffs this year. One step at a time.

Joemailman
08-25-2007, 06:26 AM
You're smoking crack.

I am a firm believer in the "any given sunday" policy come playoff time but there is not an ice cubes chance they get through this schedule and get a single game at lambeau let alone a bye or a a bye and two games at lambeau.

If they get into the playoffs, they're going to squeek in based on a lot of things going right late in the season. Their first half of the season is certainly monsterous.

That said, its possibly and maybe even likely if they continue to improve and develop a killer instinct to put games away (see St. Louis game of '06).

Hope for the playoffs this year. One step at a time.

At this time last year, many New Orleans fans probably felt the same way.

b bulldog
08-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Our RB's would have never seen the field for the Bears last season if they even made the roster and their TE situation was much better but their QB situation was worse. Our runnning game sucks at the moment. :(

falco
08-25-2007, 07:22 AM
I think the packers can be a playoff team. If the players keep developing the way they have, and Thompson drafts well, they could be a superbowl team next year, if Favre sticks around.

Michael Hunt on the pregame show said he's convinced Favre is back next year, and most likely the year after that. I think packer fans have reason to be optimistic that sometime in that time frame either a) Thompson is gone or b) packers make 1 or 2 playoff runs.

Of course, if Favre is around that long we may never get to see Rodgers play in GB.

MJZiggy
08-25-2007, 09:34 AM
You've officially stolen ALL of the forum KOOL AIDE

NONE is left for any of you now

I shouldn't have dumped all mine down the drain

It's what you get for not listening to me... :mrgreen:

Scott Campbell
08-25-2007, 09:37 AM
With winning

.....cept Ras.

Rastak
08-25-2007, 09:51 AM
With winning

.....cept Ras.

True, dat.

Him8123
08-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I would agree a little bit with JH. I think we can very well be a playoff contender, if our cards play out right maybe get a shot to the SB. Not saying that they will get there but ya never know I guess. Maybe I`m drunk off some koolaid too. But I do see a very young and old team coming together and building great chemistry that should hopefully build for an exciting year.I also don`t think our running game is that bad right now. Jackson has got some talent, given he`s no adrian peterson or LT, but I think he will come into his own and progress as he goes. He`s only played 3 games and I`ve seen improvement. Now I gotta go get a refill.......