PDA

View Full Version : Who's the starter at DT?

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Ya, they're gonna rotate, but it still matters who is named to start. The best run stopper is going to get the job, and more playing time.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-25-2007, 12:47 AM
CW will start.

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm thinking they might want to play Williams a lot, but at multiple positions, especially with Montgomery out for a while.

Partial
08-25-2007, 12:50 AM
JJ

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 12:52 AM
JJ

That was my vote too, but I wonder of Cole will get it. CW is versatile. He'll get just as many snaps as whoever starts,

the_idle_threat
08-25-2007, 12:55 AM
CW will play a lot, but I don't think he'll start. He's better on passing downs than on running downs (I think) and 1st down tends to be a running down.

Partial
08-25-2007, 12:56 AM
No KGB option?

GrnBay007
08-25-2007, 01:01 AM
JJ

That name has been spoken for on O. :no:

Bretsky
08-25-2007, 01:06 AM
honestly, it doesn't matter much who starts in this rotation. I just hope JJ is a legit option because then there won't be much pressure for Harrell to develop any faster than Ted Thompson signs free agents.

Partial
08-25-2007, 01:07 AM
honestly, it doesn't matter much who starts in this rotation. I just hope JJ is a legit option because then there won't be much pressure for Harrell to develop any faster than Ted Thompson signs free agents.

:rs: ba dum ching

cpk1994
08-25-2007, 06:33 AM
No KGB option? We are talking about DT, not DE.

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I would guess Pickett and Cole or Jolly on run downs.
Williams and Jolly on pass downs.

Some sort of mix in between. I'm not too concerned with who starts the first snap so long as it's not Harrell. He just hasn't earned it.

LEWCWA
08-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I find it funny how they keep going out of thier way to say how they aren't disappointed in Harrell. Reading between the lines, tells me they are very disappointed!

esoxx
08-25-2007, 10:03 PM
I doubt Harrell is active on game day against Philly.

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I doubt Harrell is active on game day against Philly.

well, he hasn't been so active in preseason games.

From McGinn's column:

Defensive tackle Justin Harrell, Thompson's selection with the 16th pick in the draft, was credited with one tackle and no pressures in five series of playing time.

"He played slow and looked sluggish," one scout said. "Poor reactions. He stalled out on the line of scrimmage rushing the passer. He got knocked back too far one time on the goal line. He really picks his spots."

Thompson said he wouldn't attempt to influence things if the coaches decided that Harrell was the fifth-best tackle and shouldn't be active against the Eagles.

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Cole is better than Harrell right now. Harrell should sit. He needs to work his ass off now though. If he's not going to be playing he should be working out hard, getting stronger and better conditioned.

Eventually you want him to play though. There will be injuries and he'll make it on the field.

the_idle_threat
08-25-2007, 11:37 PM

So you don't think KGB could hold up playing inside? :twisted:

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Ummm, if cpk1994 missed the sarcasm the first time, I don't think he gonna get it the second round.

stop causing trouble, idle. You a bad man, very bad man.

15 yards - taunting

Partial
08-26-2007, 12:34 AM

That's my bad attempt at humor. I'm socially awkward.

Bretsky
08-26-2007, 12:37 AM
I find it funny how they keep going out of thier way to say how they aren't disappointed in Harrell. Reading between the lines, tells me they are very disappointed!

TT expected Harrell to come in and contribute right away in the rotation

TT turned down a 1st round pick next year from one of the worst teams in the NFL because he was enamored with Justin Harrell

There is still time, but if Harrell is inactive on gameday or fails to contribute this year much the GB brass will be undoubtedly disappointed

Partial
08-26-2007, 12:40 AM
TT turned down a 1st round pick next year from one of the worst teams in the NFL because he was enamored with Justin Harrell

Is that confirmed? I don't recall him ever saying that.

Bretsky
08-26-2007, 01:05 AM

Is that confirmed? I don't recall him ever saying that.

It was confirmed that we turned down the deal; beyond that nothing was confirmed. But TT did say he was hesitant to trade down because he didn't want to lose a player of Harrell's caliber, or something like that. He did mention Harrell specifically. That was in response to questioning about the Browns proposed opportunity. That's about the most TT will ever give a reporter.

Packnut
08-26-2007, 08:50 AM

There is still time, but if Harrell is inactive on gameday or fails to contribute this year much the GB brass will be undoubtedly disappointed

There is a reason teams don't draft players that high in the draft when they did'nt play the majority of their senior year. It's also a reason you don't gamble when you have other positions of need, but when you have a massive ego and you make an "I'm smarter than any of you" pick, it had better pay off and so far it has'nt.

falco
08-26-2007, 08:53 AM

There is a reason teams don't draft players that high in the draft when they did'nt play the majority of their senior year. It's also a reason you don't gamble when you have other positions of need, but when you have a massive ego and you make an "I'm smarter than any of you" pick, it had better pay off and so far it has'nt.

Just because you label it a "smarter than thou" pick doesn't make it one. There were supposedly several other teams ready to take Harrell in the late teens.

For the record, I'm disappointed by him as well. But how many other players in middle of the first round are making huge impacts right now? The expectations aren't the same as a top 5 pick.

Bretsky
08-26-2007, 09:12 AM

Just because you label it a "smarter than thou" pick doesn't make it one. There were supposedly several other teams ready to take Harrell in the late teens.

For the record, I'm disappointed by him as well. But how many other players in middle of the first round are making huge impacts right now? The expectations aren't the same as a top 5 pick.

I think Denver was the only one I read of who admitted to have some level of interest in Harrell. That does not mean others were not intererested.

They stated they had targeted three DL, one of which they were committed to drafting. Sounded like it was Carraeker, Moss, and Harrell.

When Harrell went off the board, they stated they need to trade up; that took stones.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2007, 09:42 AM
.......... but when you have a massive ego and you make an "I'm smarter than any of you" pick........

Not sure, but didn't you also say this about Jones in the 3rd round?

Merlin
08-26-2007, 06:42 PM
The Jones pick was a reach but hey so was Driver, Tauscher & Clifton. When you draft a million guys, someone has to be worth a damn (at least you would think so). 3T isn't going to sweat the Harrell pick.

As far as rushing packages, they are "supposed" to move Jenkins to tackle and KGB to end. At least that's the last I had heard. I am sure you will see that package against the Eagles. Although I don't think KGB will be used as often as he should.

Partial
08-26-2007, 11:46 PM

Since no other team picked where the packers picked, and no team after the packers had a shot at Harrell, its impossible and incorrect to make a statement like that.

You or I have no idea what any other teams thought. How do we know picks 1-(packers pick) didn't have Harrell rated at the Packers pick or higher?

Just because he wasn't the popular pick on NFLDraftCountdown doesn't mean he isn't a good pick or the right pick.

My guess is when all is said and done your homeboy tightend down in Chicago will have produced just as little as Harrell this first year. The guy may start by default and catch a few balls but he will be a drive killer with his bad game hands, poor route running, and lack of concentration.

Bretsky
08-26-2007, 11:58 PM

Since no other team picked where the packers picked, and no team after the packers had a shot at Harrell, its impossible and incorrect to make a statement like that.

You or I have no idea what any other teams thought. How do we know picks 1-(packers pick) didn't have Harrell rated at the Packers pick or higher?

Just because he wasn't the popular pick on NFLDraftCountdown doesn't mean he isn't a good pick or the right pick.

My guess is when all is said and done your homeboy tightend down in Chicago will have produced just as little as Harrell this first year. The guy may start by default and catch a few balls but he will be a drive killer with his bad game hands, poor route running, and lack of concentration.

I watched Olson at the rookie all star competition. He had no pads on, but his hands were VERY good. His downfall per scouts is that he can't block a lick.

Partial
08-27-2007, 12:06 AM

I watched Olson at the rookie all star competition. He had no pads on, but his hands were VERY good. His downfall per scouts is that he can't block a lick.

I have heard you state that multiple times.

In-game hands and practice hands are two different things. When bullets are flying and he is worrying about getting drilled, he will drop passes. At least he did a LOT in college.

First of all, he has never played a full season. He has only played in 80% of the games the past three years.

He has had very little production. He has only caught 6 TDs in his career, as well as 87 passes.

He is not a good route runner, he doesn't break tackles, and he is not tough. He cannot block well, either. He is essentially a big-bodied receiver.

Bretsky
08-27-2007, 12:12 AM
www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/te/gregolsen.html+Greg+Olson+TE+Scouting+Report&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

I didn't see him play much in college, but here is his scouting report

Strengths:
Has ideal height as well as the frame to get bigger...He has very good hands...A terrific athlete with fantastic timed speed...Runs excellent routes and knows how to get open...A much better blocker than he is given credit for...Can create after the catch...Somewhat of a wide receiver in a tight end's body and was really the Hurricanes top target at times...Still has some upside...Is also able to long-snap.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the ideal bulk that you look for...He is coming off of a sub par 2006 season...Won't break many tackles...He wasn't utilized as a deep / vertical threat much in college...Has room for improvement as a blocker...Durability is a concern.

Partial
08-27-2007, 12:14 AM
www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/te/gregolsen.html+Greg+Olson+TE+Scouting+Report&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Strengths:
Has ideal height as well as the frame to get bigger...He has very good hands...A terrific athlete with fantastic timed speed...Runs excellent routes and knows how to get open...A much better blocker than he is given credit for...Can create after the catch...Somewhat of a wide receiver in a tight end's body and was really the Hurricanes top target at times...Still has some upside...Is also able to long-snap.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the ideal bulk that you look for...He is coming off of a sub par 2006 season...Won't break many tackles...He wasn't utilized as a deep / vertical threat much in college...Has room for improvement as a blocker...Durability is a concern.

Right, he has good hands. I am not questioning that. I question his concentration and desire for the game. He has a knack for dropping the ball in games.

hoosier
08-27-2007, 07:17 AM
The Jones pick was a reach but hey so was Driver, Tauscher & Clifton. When you draft a million guys, someone has to be worth a damn (at least you would think so). 3T isn't going to sweat the Harrell pick.

Driver and Tauscher were reaches??? Both were 7th rounders, how could they be reaches?

SkinBasket
08-27-2007, 07:35 AM

Driver and Tauscher were reaches??? Both were 7th rounders, how could they be reaches?

Damned, beat me to it.

Tauscher: 224 of 254 players selected in 2000
Driver: 213 of 253 players selected in 1999

I'm starting to wonder, as Partial has, if Merlin could possibly believe what he types.

Zool
08-27-2007, 09:16 AM

Damned, beat me to it.

Tauscher: 224 of 254 players selected in 2000
Driver: 213 of 253 players selected in 1999

I'm starting to wonder, as Partial has, if Merlin could possibly believe what he types.

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

I've watched quite a few Miami games over the last 10+ years. They should call that place TE U.

Olsen will never be a good blocker, but he'll eventually become adequate IMO. As someone said in another thread, he couldnt block my grandma.

The kid has great hands though Partial, in game or out. He's a TE, so his route running is hardly a huge issue. 5-7 yard in our out, seam. He's very fast for his position, so the seam route will be his bread and butter.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2007, 01:12 AM
The results of the contest are in.

8 people correctly predicted that Johnny Jolly would be the starter. Congratulations.

And 19 sore losers say, "it doesn't matter because they are going to rotate."