PDA

View Full Version : Sliverstein Chat

Bretsky
08-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Packer Chats
Tom Silverstein Visit JSOnline's Packers section

FRIDAY, Aug. 24, chat transcript
Tom Silverstein

Q: Mark T of Chicago - Hi TS - I know it's difficult to tell much from training camp and the preseason, but I'll ask anyway. Based on what you, personally, expected a month ago, and what you've seen since, does the Pack look to be better, same as, or worse than what you expected? What would you have guessed a month ago to be their 2007 record, and what would you guess now? Thanks!

A: Tom Silverstein - Hello everyone. Thanks for taking part in the chat. I'll start out by saying that I don't know anything definitive on Donald Driver's injury, so I can't shed any new light on it. Everything else is fair game, so let's get started. Mark, I really try to stay away from the prognosticating game because I'm always wrong. You go into a season thinking one thing and by mid-season you're completely wrong. It's so hard to tell who is going to be the team that turns it around suddenly and who is the team that flops. About all I can say is that the Packers appear a little better on defense than I thought they would be and are about as weak on offense as I thought they would be. I thought their special teams had a chance to get better and that appears to be the case. They still look like an 8-8 team to me, but who knows what will happen once the games are for real.

Q: Mike of State College - How many rookies do you think will consistently play this season?

A: Tom Silverstein - Mike -- Of the draft choices, Brandon Jackson, James Jones and Korey Hall will all play a lot. I think Desmond Bishop and possibly Aaron Rouse will be special teams regulars. Injuries will dictate how much Bishop and Rouse play on defense. Justin Harrell could be inactive early on. I would think as he develops he'll start seeing more playing time and could get into the rotation as time goes on.

Q: Dan of Lowville, NY - Tom, what's your best guess at this point on how the Koren Robinson scenario will play out? Thanks!

A: Tom Silverstein - This is my guess, Dan. Robinson will apply for reinstatement in September and Roger Goodell will take some time to review his case. If he has been clean, he'll come back and take part in a two- or three-week "training camp" to get ready for the season. He'll be given a roster exemption and the Packers will have to make a decision on his status at the end of that time. If he looks to be in shape they'll probably keep him. If he does make the roster, I seriously doubt he'll have any impact. The guy missed the last two training camps, has only played in four games since the end of the 2005 season and has had a problem with his knee. It would be totally unrealistic to think he could add anything to this team.

Q: Kevin of Chippewa Falls - Tom - not to belabor a point but you can sure notice a difference in the difference in personnel skills between Ted Thompson and Mike Sherman. Especially in the later rounds and the free agent pickups. Your thoughts Tom?

A: Tom Silverstein - There's no question Thompson values his picks way more than Sherman ever did. Sherman gave up something like 21 picks in five years as GM, mostly in moves to trade up. Thompson is hitting on guys like Korey Hall, Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby and Johnny Jolly while Sherman never even gave himself a chance on those type of guys. Thompson and his staff have continued a strong tradition of hitting on rookie free agents, street free agents and waiver acquisitions. Thirty-one other teams had a shot at Atari Bigby, Donald Lee, Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday.

Q: Matthew of Waukesha - These Packer games are meaningless. Let's get to some real stuff. Do you think Ben Sheets will be ready to pitch this Saturday?

A: Tom Silverstein - Amen, brother. I feel sorry for the people who have to pay $59 for an end zone seat to see a bunch of guys play elementary
football. As for Sheets, he's not on my fantasy team, so I could care less.

Q: James Childress of Grand Forks, ND - Tom, here's a question that pretty well sums up Brandon Jackson's night: Who is the worst blocking back you've ever seen in NFL history? When TT pinned the Pack's entire rushing attack on the kid, I figured Favre would have to keep his arm loose, but now I'm more worried about his legs. Is there anyway Favre doesn't throw more picks than TD passes this year? Jackson reminds me of Rob Deer without the homeruns.

A: Tom Silverstein - You're getting a little ahead of yourself, James. I initially thought Jackson blew a block on the play in which Rodgers got clobbered escaping the pocket. But Bob McGinn correctly pointed out to me on the replay that he blocked his man and that the guy who hit Rodgers wasn't his responsibility. Still, Jackson is a liability back there right now and teams will see that come the regular season and test him. That's what football is all about, exploiting matchups. He's a willing blocker but if he doesn't become more consistent it will be hard for them to put him on the field on passing downs. And you can't just put him in there when you intend to run the ball unless you want the defense to know what you're doing every play. They've got a problem there.

Q: Packerfan of Dallas - Tom, it appears the "experiment" of the zone blocking scheme has failed miserably. No run game after 2 off season's and 2 training camps. It's becoming obvious the O-line does NOT nor will it EVER have the ability block the back side pursuit. Is it O-Line coaching/players, or RB?

A: Tom Silverstein - There's no question the Packers are struggling with their running game. But remember, almost no one ran on Jacksonville last season. The Jags finished fourth in the league in run defense. If that were a regular-season game, the Packers would have ended up passing 70% of the time. The way I see it, it was a good test to see whether the line could open holes against an elite defense. They can't. It means they won't be able to run the ball against Minnesota, might have trouble against Detroit and will struggle against Chicago. I don't think the zone system fits their two tackles, Clifton and Tauscher, which is why you see some of the backside problems. But those two are such good pass blockers you can't replace them. I think the best you can hope for is that they don't get dominated the way they did against PIttsburgh and Jacksonville during the regular season.

Q: Steve of White Bear Lake, MN - Hey, Tom: Should Noah Herron be concerned about losing his roster spot? I mean, one would think his position is safe because of the team's depth issues at RB, but he's been almost invisible this summer, and when he has played there is very little production. Your thoughts...

A: Tom Silverstein - No, I don't think he should be worried. Right now he's the No. 2 back. He knows how to block, he'll hit the right holes and he won't fumble. You can't count on Morency or Wynn right now. Pope isn't going to make the team and Corey White is on the bubble. Were the others healthy, Herron would be gone, but I don't see how you can cut him with so much uncertainty in the backfield. He and Korey Hall are the only sure things the Packers have.

Q: Tom of Chippewa Falls - When the 1's were going against each other, the Packer running game was awful! What is Jackson or poor blocking? Is there any possbility of TT putting together a package of high draft choices and players for a proven NFL back? There is no way the Packers will beat anybody good in the regular season without a better running game.

A: Tom Silverstein - There's no question their running game has been a bust thus far. When there were some holes against Seattle, Jackson seemed to find them, so I don't know if its the back as much as the line. Granted, Jackson isn't very dynamic. He's not a breakaway back and he looks tentative at times. He doesn't look like a guy you give the ball to 20-25 times a game. I think the Packers will be able to run the ball against some of the weaker teams in the NFL, but as I was saying earlier, they won't get anything up the middle against Minnesota, Detroit and Chicago. They've got serious problems and Ted Thompson has to take responsibility for it. There are no big-name backs on the trading block right now. They're stuck.

Q: Carl Gerbschmidt of Elk Mound Mounders - Okay, I'm no scout. But, to the untrained eye - Cory White looked like the better RB. Good size, strength, quickness, etc. And, I'm sure he can't be worse than Bjax at picking up the blitz. Does he have a chance?

A: Tom Silverstein - It's only slight, Carl. White did run well between the tackles and would probably be a decent swing man in the backfield. But right now, Morency, Jackson and Hall are locks. Herron will probably make it for insurance purposes and Wynn will probably make it on potential. That means the Packers have to decide whether to keep another back and if so will it be White or FB Brandon Miree. I think White's status will come down to the final cutdown.

Q: Trevor of Saint Paul - Hey Tom, thanks for taking my question. Did Ingle Martin seal his fate by again playing poorly? If he is cut, would the Pack want him on the practice squad?

A: Tom Silverstein - I think he showed that he's not good enough to be on an NFL roster. I think it's more likely that the Packers will put Paul Thompson on the practice squad because he's shown more ability.

Q: Jeff of Racine - I don't know about anyone else but I thought the TV announcing was terrible during the Pack/Jags game. It almost takes the enjoyment out of watching a game I tells ya. What/Where/How can fans voice their displeasure and get these guys fired? Plays are made and there is no mention of who made it except a few players that are the stars of the show. Nothing against the star players, but the game seems an after thought for stinking announcers to blow their own horns.

A: Tom Silverstein - Fortunately, I don't have to listen to the announcers. And let's face it, that wasn't exactly Fox's A team. During the pre-season, the announcers are just trying to fill space in what basically is a boring event. Some do it better than others. Most of them can't keep up with 87 players on the roster so they have no insight into competition for backup positions and roster spots. I suggest turning the sound down and doing a Mangini: Put on some classical music.

Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Tom, When I watch Brandon Jackson I don't see a quick burst through the hole. Of course I didn't see alot of holes for him to burst through while the #1's where on the field. Do you think this kid has the tools to be a great running back?

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't think he's going to be a great running back. He doesn't have the size or the speed to be that. You can see the difference between Fred Taylor hitting a hole and Jackson hitting one. Taylor is in a high gear the moment he's in the hole. Jackson doesn't have that explosiveness. I think he's dancing too much at the line of scrimmage and not being decisive. He showed decisiveness at the goal line, but lacks it elsewhere. Unless you're Barry Sanders, dancing is only going to result in a loss of yardage. I think DeShawn Wynn, if he could ever get healthy, is more of the back they're looking for in his offense. He's fast and powerful, just not reliable.

Q: T.J. of Brookfield - Why do you believe that Ted Thompson receives so much negativity from a large percentage of Packer fans? I believe they should not be at all disappointed with the way he is building this team (they should be thrilled!). If they want to be upset about anything they should be upset that when he took over he decided that things were a mess and needed to be fixed. (salary cap disaster, no depth, aging/declining core players, a superstar qb that has hinted of retirement for a decade). Is it his personality, his strategy, or people's ignorance of the true situation that creates this TT bashing?

A: Tom Silverstein - You raise an interesting question, T.J. There definitely is an abundance of negativity toward Thompson from fans. I think a portion of it comes from some of the tough decisions he's had to make in regard to stripping down the roster and rebuilding it the way he believes it should be done. But I also think he brings a lot of the negativity upon himself by being unwilling - I don't think it's because he's unable -- to express himself in a confident way. When do you ever hear him answer a question definitively? He's so afraid of actually revealing something that he comes across wishy-washy and indecisive. I think fans of the Packers come to expect more because they're such a part of the fabric of the organization. It's a shame because I think behind closed doors he is decisive and unafraid to make tough decisions. But as a reporter you pick up on the way people handle themselves and their level of confidence and I can see why fans are frustrated with him. Thompson truly doesn't want to tell anybody anything about his team or the reason he's made a decision. As a former player, he's sensitive to hurting a player's feeling so he won't even admit someone is playing poorly. Ron Wolf used to throw down the gauntlet to his players, believing that it is a performance-based profession and that by issuing challenges he could find out how players responded to pressure. Now he had his favorites and was in denial about some of his players, but for the most part he was open about assessing talent. Thompson won't do it. Maybe it's not his way, but as GM he has to make it his way. Thompson has to understand that part of being a GM is showing people you're in charge. In three years, he might be on the street without a job. Why not enjoy the game and the position you're in? He's making it hard on himself.

Q: Gnome Chompsky of - Tom, Let's say the Chargers were asking 1st and 2nd rd picks for Turner. Do you think the Packers will come to regret not having pulled the trigger on a trade given what they got out of those picks? I know it's early, but...

A: Tom Silverstein - I think that's too much for Turner. He's not a proven running back. A first and second for Larry Johnson, OK. But not for Turner. The most I'd give is a first and I'd have to be convinced he could be a 1,000-yard rusher. At this point, the Chargers are going to have to make a decision whether they're going to get something for Turner or let him go in free agency next year. It's not a bad time to try to get him on the cheap. It's worth exploring.

Q: Bill of Kansas City - I know Greg Jennings has said he wants more touches/visibility in the offense, but I think he needs to show he's a complete player as well. On the first play of the game, he made one of the weakest run-blocking attempts I've seen in a long time, resulting in the play getting trashed by the cornerback. Not to be outdone, Brandon Jackson then gets destroyed in pass protection, leading to a sack. While there were some positives in this game, what is the coaching staff doing to shore up run support and blitz pickup?

A: Tom Silverstein - I didn't see the Jennings block, but let's clear up the Jackson blitz pickup. He made enough of a block to allow Favre time to get rid of the ball. The problem was that James Jones didn't cut off his route like he was supposed to. If you look at the tape, Favre sees the blitz and is ready to throw to Jones but has to bring the ball down because Jones takes the route up the field. It's then that he gets sacked. So I don't think that's a good example of Jackson's poor blocking ability. Jackson has some work to do to be acceptable as a blocker. I do know that the coaches work on it a lot. Ahman Green wasn't much of a blocker when he got into the league, but he got better as time went on. Even he blew assignments, however. If Jackson can't handle the duties, McCarthy will have to start using tight ends again to help block.

Q: christo from toronto of - Corey White (I think I've got that right) seemed to run very well in the fourth quarter for the Packers. Do these runs have any meaning, given that he was probably running against a second/third string Jacksonville defense? If so, do you think this might help his chances of making the team? thanks Tom!

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't think it means an awful lot, Christo. He did look powerful running through holes and there's always something to be said about production. I think he'll get more of a chance in the exhibition finale, but he's still on the fence. I think the coaches know a lot about him and will come down to how the roster is set at other positions.

Q: Greg Pils of Madison, WI - Two thoughts: 1.) Watching the Jags' DTs stuff the Packers' running game should illustrate why TT drafted Justin Harrell. Those big bodies in the middle of the DL are invaluable. 2.) Can't help but compare what James Jones is doing this preseason with what Robert Fergusen didn't do back in 2001, when he hardly saw the field. Are the current coaches just that much better at bringing a guy along; more inclined to give young players opportunity; or is Jones just that much better now than Fergusen was then?

A: Tom Silverstein - The difference between Jones and Ferguson is that for every mistake Jones makes, he's making one or two big plays. Ferguson didn't even know the playbook as a rookie, so he wasn't even in a position to make the mistakes Jones is making. Jones seems to know his position, he's just making typical rookie mental mistakes. Jennings had some of them last year. The issue here isn't that Jones can't help the team it's that if he's a regular part of the offense there are going to be times he makes costly mistakes. The sack he caused and the fumble he lost could have been the difference in a game. They were plays that should have kept drives going but instead stopped them in their tracks. He can't do that during the regular season.

Q: BrocknMac of Boston, MA - Rodgers has looked good this year as has other recent high draft picks (Jones). But if Hodge is cut, Harrell does not play much, Underwood gone and Rouse not playing, and if Jackson doesn't set the world on fire, do we have to take a strong look at TT's draft record? Have we wasted our early picks, by and large? Does it matter if latter picks pan out if you don't add play makers in the early rounds? Wolf got away with it, but that's because he sent a #1 for Favre. But it's been a while since the Packers had a first round pick who has come in and made an immediate impact.

A: Tom Silverstein - Are you forgetting A.J. Hawk? I think he's in for a pretty good year. Colledge and Jennings are second rounders and both are starting. Same with Nick Collins. Jackson might start and Jones looks pretty good. Rodgers has finally shown he has a shot at making it in the NFL. I disagree that Thompson's draft record is in question. You're going to miss on some people, but in the case of Hodge, Thompson also hit on Jason Spits in the same round in the same draft. Compare that draft -- Hawk, Colledge, Jennings, Spitz, Blackmon, Moll and Jolly -- to Sherman's last - Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, Donnell Washington, B.J. Sander. Enough said.

Q: scott j. sieleman of oelwein , iowa - Do you suppose in 2007 we could have the technology so that we can hear the questions @ packer coache's news coferences? thanks Packer Rule!

A: Tom Silverstein - I'm surprised you can't. I know there are microphones hanging down from the ceiling in the media auditorium. I suggest emailing the Packers' online department about that. If there's a question you really want to know about, email me and I'll let you know what it was.

Q: TKaz of Short Pump VA - Why does everyone thank you guys for doing these chats? It's your job right? You get paid, right? Anyways, Please NAME the 6 RECEIVERS who MAKE THE TEAM (and why), in your estimation. Oh, and thanks for the chat, and thanks for taking my question. TKAZ

A: Tom Silverstein - Too funny, TKaz. You know, before the internet I didn't have to do these chats. And then they were added to my workload -- without any added compensation. Not that I'm complaining because I get to talk to bright, bubbly people like yourself. Anyway, your question was which six -- you're assuming there will be six, but I think it will only be five. Here goes: Driver, Jennings, Jones, Martin and Holiday. Maybe Koren Robinson later. And oh, thanks for reading and thanks for the question.

Q: The Fat Man of Bremerton, WA - What's your understanding of the major whiff on the Favre to Jennings bomb where Jennings wasn't in the same zip code of the pass? The frustration on his face at times was obvious.

A: Tom Silverstein - I think Jennings read the safety one way and Favre the other. Jennings took the post and Favre thought he was going to take the corner. That's why it looked so bad.

Q: Matt of Erie, Co - Tom, thanks for taking my question. Is it possible that TT cuts Mason Crosby? What more do they want from their 6th round draft pick? He has passed every test with flying colors and has the potential to be a perrenial pro bowl kicker (I've watched him through 4 years of school at Colorado). Crosby is the real deal and it'd be an absolute disgrace if they let him get away. I don't know about you, but Rayner's 70% accuracy last year doesn't quite hold as much promise as a 6th round draft pick with unlimited upside...

A: Tom Silverstein - I can tell you're a little biased on this one. What has Crosby done that Rayner hasn't this pre-season. They're about even with everything. Rayner has had more touchbacks on kickoffs. I don't see how it would be a disgrace to let him get away because Rayner has been very solid. One of those two might be traded. I do think Crosby has a slight edge right now but to say Rayner is that much worse than him is ridiculous. Crosby hasn't proved anything yet. Rayner has at least kicked a year in the NFL.

Q: Ben G. of Tulsa, OK - During the Henderson/Green years at RB, reports frequently mentioned how they would work well after practice, perfecting their craft. Now that both are gone, is anything like this happening anymore? If not, is this perhaps a liability of having Henderson around for at least one more year, or even camp? What is Coach EB's take on this?

A: Tom Silverstein - It's not like that at all. All of the running backs stay after practice and catch balls on the jugs machine. Bennett leads the drills. Keeping Henderson around would have been a classic Mike Sherman mistake. Hanging onto the past out of loyalty. I think Bennett works the backs as hard as any coach works his players. I don't think that's a concern at all.

Q: Jacob of Horicon - Tom--Do you see any potential from Nick Collins? Also, who would his back-up be?

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't know about Nick Collins. The guy has physical talents that scouts drool over, but through his first two years his number of big plays are minimal. I think instincts are a problem with him. This should be his big year. He's had two years of starting. If he doesn't do it this year you have to start wondering. Well, folks. I'm way over my time limit. I appreciate all the questions and I look forward to chatting again soon.

Partial
08-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Thanks for posting that!

Bretsky
08-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Q: Tom of Chippewa Falls - When the 1's were going against each other, the Packer running game was awful! What is Jackson or poor blocking? Is there any possbility of TT putting together a package of high draft choices and players for a proven NFL back? There is no way the Packers will beat anybody good in the regular season without a better running game.

A: Tom Silverstein - There's no question their running game has been a bust thus far. When there were some holes against Seattle, Jackson seemed to find them, so I don't know if its the back as much as the line. Granted, Jackson isn't very dynamic. He's not a breakaway back and he looks tentative at times. He doesn't look like a guy you give the ball to 20-25 times a game. I think the Packers will be able to run the ball against some of the weaker teams in the NFL, but as I was saying earlier, they won't get anything up the middle against Minnesota, Detroit and Chicago. They've got serious problems and Ted Thompson has to take responsibility for it. There are no big-name backs on the trading block right now. They're stuck.

I don't like Silverstein as much as Cliffy Christl; but he's on here.

It appears GB willl be able to run against bad defenses but it looks like they'll get stuffed against the good ones. As much as I like Tauscher and Clifton, they are not ideal zone guys. But they are gold in pass blocking.
The interior young guys might just get trampled against strong DL's.

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 08:52 AM

It appears GB willl be able to run against bad defenses but it looks like they'll get stuffed against the good ones. As much as I like Tauscher and Clifton, they are not ideal zone guys. But they are gold in pass blocking.

Bretsky, this guy seems completely unaware that cut blocking is a part of the zone scheme and unaware that the Packers are holding off on one of their biggest run blocking weapons in the preseason. I'll use the Philly and NY game as evidence. There is a lot of things you can get out of the preseason, but the run game for a zone team isn't one of them.

Bretsky
08-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Bretsky, this guy seems completely unaware that cut blocking is a part of the zone scheme and unaware that the Packers are holding off on one of their biggest run blocking weapons in the preseason. I'll use the Philly and NY game as evidence. There is a lot of things you can get out of the preseason, but the run game for a zone team isn't one of them.

Silverstein has always been a bit bland; not as bold as Cliff or as smart or ballsy as McGinn.

Regarding Cut Blocking, has anybody actually said they are not employing it til regular season, or is this just one of our theories ?

I don't see us running against dominant DL's, but I hope I'm wrong.

I do have Brandon Jackson on a couple fantasy football teams. :lol:

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Silverstein has always been a bit bland; not as bold as Cliff or as smart or ballsy as McGinn.

Regarding Cut Blocking, has anybody actually said they are not employing it til regular season, or is this just one of our theories ?

I don't see us running against dominant DL's, but I hope I'm wrong.

I do have Brandon Jackson on a couple fantasy football teams. :lol:

I have a lot of theory's, but this one isn't a theory, it's an observation. They aren't cut blocking because I've watched every first team snap multiple times and recently I watched them all looking for cut blocks becuase the backside has been collapsing. It is not happening. Wells illuded to it in his post game interview if you want to go listen to that. Your other option is to watch the games and see. The reporters might not be on to it, but if you pay attn, they are off on a lot of things.

I don't know how close you pay attn to games, but if your memory serves you here, you should have visions of the backside collapsing on almost every run. That is what the cut block should be stopping.

RashanGary
08-25-2007, 09:06 AM
We debate things all of the time and nobody ever really changes thier opinion. We'll just have to wait until sept 9th on this one ;) I think the run game will be better than the preseason indicates. It's a wait and see like everything else.