View Full Version : ATARI playing a good Game

Bretsky
08-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Bigby a huge hit in camp
Strong performance might make him a starter
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 25, 2007

Green Bay - They wanted him to cut his hair. And that was a deal breaker.
Atari Bigby was a standout athlete for a Florida high school football powerhouse and he wanted nothing more than to stay in his hometown and play for the mighty Miami Hurricanes.

But a few years ago, the Miami football program had an unofficial policy that was strictly reinforced. All incoming freshmen had to shave their heads.

Bigby is a Jamaican born Rastafarian who moved to Miami as a preschooler. He began growing his dreadlocks at the age of 15. Some who share Bigby's religious faith of Rasta believe that hair is a source of strength.

So Bigby never seriously pursued Miami. His hair meant that much to him.

"Yes," said Bigby firmly. "It meant that much."

By doing so, he just might have also taken a roundabout way to the NFL, first through Central Florida and then through two NFL teams as a non-drafted free agent. He tried out at safety, cornerback and even linebacker but was cut.

With explosive speed and retina-rattling tackles, Bigby finally got his big break - a deal with the Packers, who sent him to Amsterdam, where he turned heads.

Dreadlocks colored brown and cinnamon now flow down his shoulders and back after the Packers third exhibition game where he once again played solid. Bigby has found his way to the NFL, but now that he's here, he still has a lot to prove.

"All I want is the respect of my teammates," said Bigby. "And to prove I am a starter."

The talent and instincts are there. At Central Florida, Bigby recorded his first big hit as a redshirt freshman. Clemson quarterback Woodrow Dantzler threw to a receiver and Bigby made the open-field tackle with momentum. The hit told him he would forever have to play the game a certain way. Borderline crazy.

"I just found out, a lot of guys don't like to get hit. And that's a good way of getting the respect of my teammates," said Bigby.

But that didn't transfer over right away in his first two NFL auditions. In the summer of 2005, the Miami Dolphins signed him but cut him before training camp began. The New York Jets put him at corner in their camp, but he didn't make the team.

"I don't know what happened with the Dolphins. I think they made a big mistake," Bigby said. "I thought I was the best safety on the team at the time. I was second-team nickel and third-team safety, but they cut me before training camp. And then the Jets picked me up, and they put me at corner.

"So when I first got there, I didn't even think it would work out because I was playing out of position. I had to play the whole preseason at corner for the Jets. But then it came down to numbers and they let me go."

The Packers liked Bigby, though, and brought him along in 2005 to the practice squad. But they put him at linebacker. Linebacker? It still makes Al Harris laugh a little. At 5-foot-11 and 211 pounds, he is a big strong safety but he felt out of place at linebacker.

The Packers saw enough in him to offer shot at NFL Europe and he was assigned to the Amsterdam Admirals for 2006 basically to make or break himself.

"When players came to Europe, a lot of times, they lost their focus, even if they had NFL talent," said Admirals defensive coordinator Richard Kent, who coached in the league for nine years. "They would get into a new culture and kind of wander off. Bigby was not like that. He was focused. I am not sure how a guy like that falls through the cracks, undrafted and all, but Green Bay had Reggie McKenzie, who saw him on tape, really liked him and wrote up a good report on him. That was a good indication that he had a lot of upside."

In Europe, Bigby led the team with 61 tackles on the way to the World Bowl.

"Coaches from other teams would say, hey, who's No. 20, for about three, four games in a row," said Kent. "He always flashed. He'd make a spectacular hit or break on a ball. He was a pretty consistent guy, too, he didn't bust a lot of assignments."

NFL Europe was disbanded this summer. Bigby is grateful he got to play there before it did.

"I went over there and got a chance to play safety, in the pads, in the games, making the checks," Bigby said. "That's what got me to where I am today."

In Green Bay, Bigby hasn't always played a perfect camp but he's been downright stunning on some plays. One of his biggest fans is the very man he might unseat at strong safety - Marquand Manuel. They went to Miami Senior High School together and through all of camp, when Bigby started getting the attention, still workout together, talk and visit. Manuel has been a stand-up guy to Bigby even though it probably hasn't been easy.

Bigby is fun for fans to watch because of his boundless energy. He may start on one hash mark and end up on the opposite sideline if that's where the ball is.

"I was taught if a guy has the ball go get him, no matter if he's your responsibility or not," said Bigby.

And then there's the hits. Bigby can chop down running backs. When Packers teammate Desmond Bishop made a big tackle Thursday in a defensive hit rarely seen these days, Bigby was envious.

"That's a great hit. That's the kind of hit I would like to make. I lit up like a Christmas tree. I loved it," Bigby said. "That charged up the whole stadium."

Bigby's contract is up after this season and with such career instability, his wife and two daughters, ages 6 and 3, remain back in Miami. He hopes that will change. Now that he's in his second full year with the Packers, Bigby said he is comfortable playing any type of coverage. (That wasn't the case last year where he would say to himself, 'Please don't call this play.' If he had to choose, he'd enjoy free safety more than his current role at strong safety because it allows the back to freelance more and use his own judgment. Still, he is working on playing consistent, reliable football.

"Everybody thinks I am this big safety that just wants to go in the box and get down and dirty," Bigby said. "Sometimes I get overexcited. I try to kill the guy. What I have been trying to do is just let it happen, just get the guy on the ground, not really trying to get a big hit."

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2007, 09:31 AM
I used to own an Atari computer, and it indeed played a good game.

But on second thought, it wasn't an Atari, it was some even weirder brand called an Amiga.

Damn, you youngins don't realize that back in the old days, each brand had its own unique operating system, it wasn't like buying a Dell or HP at Best Buy. You could only run Amiga software. God, the good old days really sucked.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Bigby is a Jamaican born Rastafarian........

The Packers saw enough in him to offer shot at NFL Europe and he was assigned to the Amsterdam Admirals ..........

So we sent the Rastafarian to Amsterdam? Seems a little counter intuitive to me.

Joemailman
08-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I wonder if these come in green and gold:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/wk/wkingst1/Atari.jpg

BallHawk
08-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Yup....

http://icant.co.uk/tshirtaday/?p=13

RashanGary
08-26-2007, 03:57 PM
"I just found out, a lot of guys don't like to get hit. And that's a good way of getting the respect of my teammates," said Bigby.

I like this quote. I'm a big believer in hitting hard on defense. If you knock a guys head off one play, he's shook up for the whole series. If you knock a guy around for the first half, he becomes less of a player for the whole second half. Hitting and physical play is one of the biggest keys of defense.

Collins
Bigby
Hawk
Poppinga

All of these guys can hit.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 04:39 PM

But on second thought, it wasn't an Atari, it was some even weirder brand called an Amiga.

Damn, you youngins don't realize that back in the old days, each brand had its own unique operating system, it wasn't like buying a Dell or HP at Best Buy. You could only run Amiga software. God, the good old days really sucked.

Thats funny. I owned an Amiga 500, then the 1000, then the 5000. It was a computer made with Windows years before "windows" were known through Microsoft. The sports games on the Amiga were much higher tech than the Atari. Amiga should've lead the way instead of Bill Gates, but the founder, was kind of eccentric, and hid out on some island, and never was aggresive in making his computer the computer of the future. But back in the early 80's I was on my Amiga 500 using Windows while most everyone else was still using computer language and dealing with the prewindows issues that IBM and all other competitors offered. I thought I was the only one that knew about the Amiga.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 04:42 PM
In fact, I still like the old Amiga version of their NFL game better than Madden, because the QB had to place the area manually where you wanted the ball to land. I loved that, and still think it's superior to Madden. IMHO.

Joemailman
08-26-2007, 04:47 PM

I like this quote. I'm a big believer in hitting hard on defense. If you knock a guys head off one play, he's shook up for the whole series. If you knock a guy around for the first half, he becomes less of a player for the whole second half. Hitting and physical play is one of the biggest keys of defense.

Collins
Bigby
Hawk
Poppinga

All of these guys can hit.

You're too young to remember this, but when Chuck Cecil played safety for the Packers, he was an intimidating force. The Packers were often the beneficiary of dropped passes by opposition receivers because those guys were looking for Cecil. Cecil wasn't real good in coverage, but was still effective.

falco
08-26-2007, 04:51 PM

Thats funny. I owned an Amiga 500, then the 1000, then the 5000. It was a computer made with Windows years before "windows" were known through Microsoft. The sports games on the Amiga were much higher tech than the Atari. Amiga should've lead the way instead of Bill Gates, but the founder, was kind of eccentric, and hid out on some island, and never was aggresive in making his computer the computer of the future. But back in the early 80's I was on my Amiga 500 using Windows while most everyone else was still using computer language and dealing with the prewindows issues that IBM and all other competitors offered. I thought I was the only one that knew about the Amiga.

The Amiga and the Commodore 64 both went the way of the dodo.

Its important to point out though that while the Amiga was a computer, the Atari was a console.

Anyone else remember typing in the code for your own games way back when? I can remember getting a giant BOOK of games and having to type in the ones you wanted to play.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah, and what pissed me off is that he used to hit with his helmet, and the refs started picking on him because the rule change came about during his playing time. Once he got a reputation as a "dirty player", he was never the same.

Bossman641
08-26-2007, 05:18 PM
I didn't really notice Bigby much in the game against the Jacksonville. That's sorta a good thing and a bad thing I guess. He didn't seem to bust any coverages. One thing I did notice a few times is that he seemed to be a little slow to react to the run. Instead of running up to the LOS he seemed to wait for the running back to get to him. I'd have to watch the game again to check for sure though.

Merlin
08-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I am not too old to realize that people were bashing Atari after the Steelers game and I took crap for defending him. Now you support him? Wow...

LL2
08-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I don't think the secondary will do worse with Atari starting over Manuel. A couple things Atari has going for him that Manuel doesn't and that is agressiveness and a hunger to play.

Merlin
08-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Right now I would start Atari over Manual. Hell, I would start John Ryan over Manual. At least Ryan would try to kick the guy to knock him down.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Way too much criticism of Manuel. Maybe he isn't capable of deep coverage, that's not a fact yet. He may have just been in the wrong places due to learning a new system, but Manuel made many a tackle at or near the line of scrimmage stopping big plays when backers and d-linemen weren't in their gaps. He's a hard hitter too. I haven't given up on him yet.

Partial
08-26-2007, 10:52 PM

I agree with this logic. However, it is flawed. It hurts a hell of a lot to tackle a player. I would reckon that delivering a big hit hurts the defender close to as much if not more pain than the person receiving the blow.

Bossman641
08-26-2007, 11:03 PM

I agree with this logic. However, it is flawed. It hurts a hell of a lot to tackle a player. I would reckon that delivering a big hit hurts the defender close to as much if not more pain than the person receiving the blow.

Not quite. There was a SI cover story a few weeks back about big hits in the NFL. There were multiple quotes from players talking about how on big hits you barely feel a thing. They say it's almost like going right through the guy.

Don't know if you play golf or not, but I'd make an analogy to that. When you pure a ball, especially with a blade you almost don't even feel it.

I'd imagine it's the same thing with a big hit. When you stick someone, I bet it doesn't hurt nearly as much as you would imagine. Of course, if the form is incorrect and your leading with your head I'm sure your neck feels a little creeky in the morning.

Partial
08-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Not quite. There was a SI cover story a few weeks back about big hits in the NFL. There were multiple quotes from players talking about how on big hits you barely feel a thing. They say it's almost like going right through the guy.

Don't know if you play golf or not, but I'd make an analogy to that. When you pure a ball, especially with a blade you almost don't even feel it.

I'd imagine it's the same thing with a big hit. When you stick someone, I bet it doesn't hurt nearly as much as you would imagine. Of course, if the form is incorrect and your leading with your head I'm sure your neck feels a little creeky in the morning.

If you get the perfect tackle I could imagine it not hurting much.

But running at something full speed spearing into their chest while they're moving full speed isn't exactly comfy. There is a ton of momentum and force from both people.

Tackling hurts. That's why a lot of people are bad at it.

Try this: Get a friend and get two of those cheap exercise balls. They're like 3 dollars a piece at Sears. Run full speed at eachother holding the balls and slam into eachother. You'll feel a hell of lot of impact but it won't hurt too much because the balls are squishy. Then, imagine it without the ball. It would hurt like hell.

Merlin
08-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Way too much criticism of Manuel. Maybe he isn't capable of deep coverage, that's not a fact yet. He may have just been in the wrong places due to learning a new system, but Manuel made many a tackle at or near the line of scrimmage stopping big plays when backers and d-linemen weren't in their gaps. He's a hard hitter too. I haven't given up on him yet.

Way too much? You mean like everyone jumping on the "Cut Atari" bandwagon after the first pre-season game? Our defense is pretty vanilla and when the CB's and other starting safety aren't sure they want to line up with a guy, I think the criticism the guy has gotten in this forum is more then warranted. He hasn't shown anything in the time he has been here and he is tied with basically a rookie for the starting job with only basically rookies to compete for the starting job. I would say there isn't nearly enough criticism for the guy based on what he was signed for and we were led to believe he was by 3T.

Scott Campbell
08-27-2007, 01:45 PM

Tis better to give that to receive.

TennesseePackerBacker
08-27-2007, 07:16 PM

If you get the perfect tackle I could imagine it not hurting much.

But running at something full speed spearing into their chest while they're moving full speed isn't exactly comfy. There is a ton of momentum and force from both people.

Tackling hurts. That's why a lot of people are bad at it.

Try this: Get a friend and get two of those cheap exercise balls. They're like 3 dollars a piece at Sears. Run full speed at eachother holding the balls and slam into eachother. You'll feel a hell of lot of impact but it won't hurt too much because the balls are squishy. Then, imagine it without the ball. It would hurt like hell.

I played football for 9 or 10 years in my life. If you tackle in the proper form you hardly feel it, it's the same as laying a crack-back block on somebody. Think Sapp felt anything when he obliterated Clifton's pelvis? He put all his force and weight in to the act of hitting Clifton, I'm no physics major but I'm sure there are laws there that would show Sapp didn't feel much from the impact.

The exception to this for me was always hitting someone helmet-to-helmet, no matter how big of a hit you laid It was always a head-ringer for both.