PDA

View Full Version : Comparing DaBears and the Packers

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 10:01 AM
I went to Soldier Field last night with a couple of buddies (Bears fans obviously), the ticket was free and I'm 45 minutes away, so I figured, what the heck, I'll throw on my Packers cap, and #4 jersey and proudly represent!! I got a few hecklers, and got my share of witty comebacks regarding the game at the end of last season, and then watched a Bears team beat a much slower 49ers team. However, one thing very noticeable in the game was that Cedric Benson did NOTHING. He had no holes and didn't do much with the ones he got. The game was actually tight until a muffed punt caused their punter to run for a first down, and they eventually scored on that drive.

But as I watched their defense, and as I've watched our defense this preseason, I can honestly say that we have REALLY closed the gap with them, and we DEFINITELY stop the run more effectively. The only position on defense that I think they have the edge is their safeties. Our corners, defensive line, and backers are very comparable.

As far as offense goes, Hester better produce as a wideout, because other than Berrian, they have almost nobody out there that scares me. My buddies are high on Greg Olson. He did look fast, but is not a good blocker at all from what I saw.

All in all, if our offensive line can give Brett time and open up holes, I think we are really starting to take shape as a GOOD team, especially because of our defense. We look every bit as fast as the Bears. I hope I'm right

Him8123
08-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I think our D can be better than the bears this year. The last game vs. Jags stuffing them a few times on 3-1 and 4-1 with Taylor and Jones Drew running it was freakin impressive. But like everyone says "it`s only preseason" so we`ll see

Scott Campbell
08-26-2007, 10:24 AM
...........with a couple of buddies (Bears fans obviously).........

They said it to Pacman. They said it to Vick. Now I'll say it to you.

Choose your friends wisely.

:D

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 10:47 AM
...........with a couple of buddies (Bears fans obviously).........

They said it to Pacman. They said it to Vick. Now I'll say it to you.

Choose your friends wisely.

:D

:cry: I sat at that game in disgust thinking of so many other ways I could be spending my evening, but as far as choosing my friends, I think it is more the issue of choosing my wife, we moved to the Chicagoland area because her family is here. I actually live in NW Indiana, but it's very much Bear's country here.

By the way, one thing I noticed, there were THOUSANDS of empty seats, very unlike Lambeau field. My buddies were gazing and gasping at the stadium, and I just kept thinking "God, I wish I were at Lambeau.

Another interesting tidbit. As you walk the halls of Soldier Field they have huge posters of the 60's and 70's and 80's and 90's and present, and of course they have pics of the best players in their specific timeframe. You know, Butkiss, Payton, etc.. I thought it was funny, we got to the 90's and it was funny. They had so little talent in that era that Curtis Conway made the poster. I had a nice chuckle, for which I caused myself some more heckling. It was worth it.

MJZiggy
08-26-2007, 11:57 AM
By the way, one thing I noticed, there were THOUSANDS of empty seats, very unlike Lambeau field. My buddies were gazing and gasping at the stadium, and I just kept thinking "God, I wish I were at Lambeau.

I noticed the very same thing last night watching the Lions/Colts game. By the 3rd Quarter, the stadium of the SB Champ team was nearly empty. I understand that it was a blowout, but come ON...

Packnut
08-26-2007, 12:07 PM
If Bigby comes through and if the light bulb finally comes on for Collins, our D can be every bit as good as Chicago's. Our line is better at this point in time with Harris coming back slowly.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 12:18 PM
If Bigby comes through and if the light bulb finally comes on for Collins, our D can be every bit as good as Chicago's. Our line is better at this point in time with Harris coming back slowly.

IMO, they lost Harris for good. Many a defender never returns to full form after such a terrible injury. He will definitely lose that quickness and burst and probably come back just better than average. Remember Jurkovic? His career ended on the exact same injury. Though he was older and much more out of shape. It's not an easy injury to fully come back from. And the rest of their four down lineman are average. Our d-line is easily better and MUCH deeper. Our backers are equal, with Urlacher giving them a slight edge, unless Hawk becomes a monster this year. And our corners are better at bump and run and shutdown. If our safeties can improve this year, we will be getting a lot of sacks and 3 and outs. We definitely look like a top five defense, and we know what Brett can do. The safeties and o-line are the key to the season. Go Pack.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 12:23 PM
By the way, in case you don't know, the Bears acquired a safety from the Redskins, can't spell his name (Archicrombie or something), anyways, a high potential player that has all the tools, just needs to get it all together, they have so much confidence in him, he will be their SS, and they are moving Mike Brown over to free safety. So, that's where I think they are better than us. Mike Brown is a monster. But, so far, Bigby looks like a real hard hitting DB with excellent blitzing skills. So, we shall see. And, Rouse may end up being a very good player also. We shall see.

BallHawk
08-26-2007, 12:28 PM
By the way, in case you don't know, the Bears acquired a safety from the Redskins, can't spell his name (Archicrombie or something), anyways, a high potential player that has all the tools, just needs to get it all together, they have so much confidence in him, he will be their SS, and they are moving Mike Brown over to free safety. So, that's where I think they are better than us. Mike Brown is a monster. But, so far, Bigby looks like a real hard hitting DB with excellent blitzing skills. So, we shall see. And, Rouse may end up being a very good player also. We shall see.

Every knows Bigby can blitz. The big question is will he be a big liability in coverage?

It's great if we can put pressure on the QB and get sacks, but if our safeties are routinely going to get beat deep we're not going to win football games.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 12:32 PM

Every knows Bigby can blitz. The big question is will he be a big liability in coverage?

It's great if we can put pressure on the QB and get sacks, but if our safeties are routinely going to get beat deep we're not going to win football games.

I agree 100%. This position scares me the most. More questions than answers. Does anyone know if Bigby is considered fast, his 40 numbers or something?

BTW, does anyone know if the NFL Network is gonna air the Packers game on the 30th?

Bossman641
08-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Adam Archuleta

He's been around for a few years, first with the Rams. He signed a big contract with the Skins last offseason but was a huge bust. The Bears' hope is that since he played so well with the Rams in the cover 2 he'll do the same with the Bears. I actually don't think he's that great. He's pretty good in the box and at blitzing, but is nothing special in coverage IMO.

Patler
08-26-2007, 12:35 PM
By the way, in case you don't know, the Bears acquired a safety from the Redskins, can't spell his name (Archicrombie or something), anyways, a high potential player that has all the tools, just needs to get it all together,

I assume you are being facetious.

Adam Archuleta, 29 years old, 7 years in the league with a $35 million contract signed with Washington last year, lost his job as a starter and was traded to Chicago for a 6th round pick.

He is now reunited with Lovie Smith and the defense that made him a hot FA commodity in St Louis. We'll see how it goes. Great blitzer, weak in coverage.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, i heard the same, Lovey had him with the Rams in cover 2 there, and liked him, and they think this system will work well for him. Why do you think they switched Mike Brown to FS? Isn't his skills more suited to SS? Or is it really not a big deal?

falco
08-26-2007, 12:37 PM
By the way, in case you don't know, the Bears acquired a safety from the Redskins, can't spell his name (Archicrombie or something), anyways, a high potential player that has all the tools, just needs to get it all together,

Adam Archuleta, 29 years old, 7 years in the league with a $35 million contract signed with Washington last year, lost his job as a starter and was traded to Chicago for a 6th round pick.

He is now reunited with Lovie Smith and the defense that made him a hot FA commodity in St Louis. We'll see how it goes. Great blitzer, weak in coverage.

Perhaps best known for his creative training style and heavily marketed DVDs.

http://www.protectmanagement.com/video/freak.htm

pack4to84
08-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah, i heard the same, Lovey had him with the Rams in cover 2 there, and liked him, and they think this system will work well for him. Why do you think they switched Mike Brown to FS? Isn't his skills more suited to SS? Or is it really not a big deal?Because like the guy posted earlier Archuleta can't cover. The FS has to play deep center field on man 2man cover plays. SS plays the 8th man in the box. Which is Archuleta strength. They are hoping since Brown will be last line of defense he would be less likely to get hurt.

BEARMAN
08-27-2007, 01:21 AM
We look every bit as fast as the Bears. I hope I'm right

You sir, are NOT !

Your "D" is in no way compairable to ours.
You do not have the depth we have.
Your secondary is questionable at best.
Your corners are weak.

On the flipside,
Da Bears "D" is one of the best in the NFL.
Tank who?
Adding Archaletta, Walker, getting Dusty back makes out "D" even better.
As fot our "O",
Yes, Olson is that good and will add much to our "O".
Da BEARS Oline is one of the best in all the NFL (not my words).
Hester is our secret weapon.
Benson will get on track, with Peterson helping out.
Our WR's are looking good.
Rex had a great game against the 9ers. (over 200 yards)

There is no way you can compair the pack to Da BEARS, well you can, but you would be wrong, ... :duel: :flag:

Collapse
08-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Your corners are weak.

Rex had a great game against the 9ers. (over 200 yards)

You lost me after these comments.

Gross Man had a pick returned for a td by Walt Harris and nearly another one by Lawson on almost identical plays. That is your nightmare this year. That is Gross Man in a nut shell. He doesn't learn. He doesn't adjust. He is in year five and he is still making consistent mistakes and thats not even mentioning the fumbled snaps. Jerry Angelo has assembled an good team, despite their quarterback situation. They've essentially painted themselves in a corner sticking with rex. If they bench him for greise, he is done in chicago, and that is why they will stick with him.

Sleep well BAREman.

Packers4Glory
08-27-2007, 06:12 AM
not have Manuel out there every play is a huge upgrade in my book. I hope they just cut the dude and go w/ the youth and potential. we already know what we DON'T have in that assclown.

I think our defense is going to be very good. A good mix of vets and young talented players.

Towards the end of the last couple season, it seems like the great bear defense has been exposed. I think the bear defense is greatly overrated. I mean, they are good, no doubt, but not nearly as tough and fearsome as people make them out to be.

God where was this sucky NFC a few yrs ago when we were losing to awesome St.Louis and Philly in the playoffs? :evil: The bears are in no way on that level.

I'm also going to predict that Hester is injured by week 9.

Olsen is a good pass catching TE, but when he's on the field you can almost bank on a pass. When he's on the field expect teams to blitz the hell out of grossman. Playing Olsen could turn into a big liability against a good pass rushing defense w/ a QB like sexy rexxy.

Dabaddestbear
08-27-2007, 06:14 AM
another post I will be bumping mid year.

Packers LB's close to the Bears?,,,lol
I must admit Barnett is looking like he is reading plays better during the preseason but lets not go off the deep end here.
Benson didnt produce much but neither did Jones last year in pre-season . Almost Identical numbers. And to look at the few miscues Grossman had is pale in comparison how he put the touch on the ball and threaded it on his other plays. Did you forget that quickly how bad the Packers running game just looked and Brett's passing?

Look its Preseason. Its time to fine tune and get things together. And the game was not even close at no point with the starters in. The Bears scored with no problem on their first 3 possessions. The only first down SF got the entire first half was when they recovered a fumble on a kick return on the 3 by a rookie. and they ran it in on 3rd down for a TD. By the end of the 2nd half some of the Bears key starters was sitting while SF played theirs well into the 3rd.

I have no doubt the Packers D will be a lil better but still not on par with the Bears.

Dabaddestbear
08-27-2007, 06:17 AM
not have Manuel out there every play is a huge upgrade in my book. I hope they just cut the dude and go w/ the youth and potential. we already know what we DON'T have in that assclown.

I think our defense is going to be very good. A good mix of vets and young talented players.

Towards the end of the last couple season, it seems like the great bear defense has been exposed. I think the bear defense is greatly overrated. I mean, they are good, no doubt, but not nearly as tough and fearsome as people make them out to be.

God where was this sucky NFC a few yrs ago when we were losing to awesome St.Louis and Philly in the playoffs? :evil: The bears are in no way on that level.

Olsen is a good pass catching TE, but when he's on the field you can almost bank on a pass. When he's on the field expect teams to blitz the hell out of grossman. Playing Olsen could turn into a big liability against a good pass rushing defense w/ a QB like sexy rexxy.

Strange cuz Olsen was on the field for several run plays. and played well blocking down on his end. Do any of you really watch the games or just type anything to get a rise and convince yourselves?

Packers4Glory
08-27-2007, 06:30 AM

Strange cuz Olsen was on the field for several run plays. and played well blocking down on his end. Do any of you really watch the games or just type anything to get a rise and convince yourselves?

yeah. we'll see how well he blocks when the season starts.

I didn't see the game but if he was blocking for Benson then :lol: Mighty 1.7 ypc If he happened to stay in and block w/ the 2nd and 3rd stringers then big F'n deal. In fact Benson's average sucked so bad I wonder if they didn't run it to Olsen's side. but, no I didn't watch that game.

But, its no secret the kid has trouble blocking, but is fast and can catch the football.

the_idle_threat
08-27-2007, 07:57 AM

Perhaps best known for his creative training style and heavily marketed DVDs.

http://www.protectmanagement.com/video/freak.htm

Archuleta is probably well-regarded for his "potential" considering he was a 1st-round pick in 2001 (20th overall).

It's amazing that St. Louis had three 1st-round picks that year---all used on defensive players---and they still failed to improve their defense. The best of the three was the last one---our very own Ryan Pickett.

4and12to12and4
08-27-2007, 04:51 PM

I must admit Barnett is looking like he is reading plays better during the preseason but lets not go off the deep end here.
Benson didnt produce much but neither did Jones last year in pre-season . Almost Identical numbers. And to look at the few miscues Grossman had is pale in comparison how he put the touch on the ball and threaded it on his other plays. Did you forget that quickly how bad the Packers running game just looked and Brett's passing?

Look its Preseason. Its time to fine tune and get things together. And the game was not even close at no point with the starters in. The Bears scored with no problem on their first 3 possessions. The only first down SF got the entire first half was when they recovered a fumble on a kick return on the 3 by a rookie. and they ran it in on 3rd down for a TD. By the end of the 2nd half some of the Bears key starters was sitting while SF played theirs well into the 3rd.

I have no doubt the Packers D will be a lil better but still not on par with the Bears.

Bullshit. This game was still close when the Bears were punting and miscued and your punter admittedly made a headsy play and turned it into a first down. That momentum boost, and the fact that it put you into 49er's territory helped the offense score a touchdown, and then, that deflated the 49er's and the game was essentially over. But, that mishandled punt ran for a first down was the most influential play of the game, and it was close until then.

Look, you guys have a lot of speed on you're defense, primarily your backers, but realize this, we also have three pretty damn fast and furious backers, and our corners are simply better than yours, period. You want Tillman and Vasher over Woodson and Harris? You don't know much about football. Age is the only thing in their favor. Urlacher and Brown are the pulse of this defense. Briggs is also a very good piece, but you guys WILL struggle against the run AGAIN this year, especially against good o-lines, it's a shame you're playing the Chargers to begin the season, they have the strengths that expose your weaknesses. I don't even see this game being close. Rex is gonna get eaten alive with blitzers, and throw many a pic, and LT will begin the year the way he ended it last season. Dominating.

Unfortunately, we also play against a stout defensive team to begin the season. The Lions may be in first place going into week 2. But, if I had money to bet, the Chargers are gonna show alot of other teams the strategy to beating the overrated Bears defense. IMHO.

Him8123
08-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Bears fans are either fuckin stupid or dillusional, I say both

Him8123
08-27-2007, 04:57 PM

Bullshit. This game was still close when the Bears were punting and miscued and your punter admittedly made a headsy play and turned it into a first down. That momentum boost, and the fact that it put you into 49er's territory helped the offense score a touchdown, and then, that deflated the 49er's and the game was essentially over. But, that mishandled punt ran for a first down was the most influential play of the game, and it was close until then.

Look, you guys have a lot of speed on you're defense, primarily your backers, but realize this, we also have three pretty damn fast and furious backers, and our corners are simply better than yours, period. You want Tillman and Vasher over Woodson and Harris? You don't know much about football. Age is the only thing in their favor. Urlacher and Brown are the pulse of this defense. Briggs is also a very good piece, but you guys WILL struggle against the run AGAIN this year, especially against good o-lines, it's a shame you're playing the Chargers to begin the season, they have the strengths that expose your weaknesses. I don't even see this game being close. Rex is gonna get eaten alive with blitzers, and throw many a pic, and LT will begin the year the way he ended it last season. Dominating.

Unfortunately, we also play against a stout defensive team to begin the season. The Lions may be in first place going into week 2. But, if I had money to bet, the Chargers are gonna show alot of other teams the strategy to beating the overrated Bears defense. IMHO.

Completely agree

Him8123
08-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Bears fans better be worrying that the superbowl hangover don`t get them. e.g. Titans, Eagles, Raiders, Panthers, you get the point. As a packer fan I may not have any room to talk about being playoff bound right now, but dont get too cocky off one good fairy tale year with a crappy ending for you.

4and12to12and4
08-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey Him, is that a man or woman in your avatar, because if it's a woman, it turns me on, so if it's a man, ... well, shit

Him8123
08-27-2007, 05:36 PM
sorry its a guy, Villo, lead singer from HIM..eeeww u like guys haha jk

4and12to12and4
08-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Damnit, he sure is cute. Oh well, at least I have another band I can illegally download free music from, and put on my ipod to see if their any good.

4and12to12and4
08-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Well, I just google them, at least I wasn't turned on by the fat bald guy in the band (probably the drummer). :oops:

BEARMAN
08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Dang a bunch of non football knowing homos ? :twisted: (j/k) Or am I ? :P :duel:

Scott Campbell
08-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Dang a bunch of non football knowing homos ? :twisted: (j/k) Or am I ? :P :duel:

Or are you? You mean kidding, or being a homo?

Lurker64
08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I think the comparison is really between "the Bears defense a few years ago" and "the Packers defense now." The important difference is that our offense is better than those old bad bears teams with a good young defense.

BEARMAN
08-27-2007, 07:57 PM
You mean, I mean, you are, I am, NOT a homo ! :tup:

Him8123
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
yes you are bearfag, your a tool