PDA

View Full Version : Packers first in statistical category (for what it's worth)

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I know it's only preseason, and a lot of the "projected" good teams are under .500, etc, etc, but, I just thought I'd throw these numbers at you guys.

We have given up 43 points so far this preseason, which is 6th in the NFL. To show that these numbers have SOME credibility, the Ravens, Steeler, and Eagles are three teams slightly better than us in this category. They all just happen to be known as good defensive teams.

We have scored 74 points so far this preseason, only 8 other teams have scored at least 70 points. So, we are in the top ten in this category also.

Now, here's the best statistic, point differential. We have scored 31 more points than we've allowed, 1st in the NFL. As I mentioned earlier, 5 other teams have allowed less points than us, but none of them have scored more than 48 points. So, we, statistically are the best in the NFL in this category. YAH BABY!!!! We're going to the Superbowl!!!!

It's just preseason, but still interesting.

falco
08-26-2007, 10:51 AM
I'd be more heartening if pretty much all of that didn't come from one game.

I remember our game versus New Orleans and all of our losses had us going 2-8 or whatever and still outscoring our opponents.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I'd be more heartening if pretty much all of that didn't come from one game.

I remember our game versus New Orleans and all of our losses had us going 2-8 or whatever and still outscoring our opponents.

Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking the same thing when posting this. We had our opponents outscored like the entire first half of last season because of the 50+ we put up. But, you know what, at least we put up 50+. Most teams in the NFL never got to experience that. So, either way it's good. I think the defensive numbers are a bit telling, and just from seeing our first string defense, I'm excited about how good they can be if they stay healthy.

Joemailman
08-26-2007, 11:31 AM
To me the stat that matters the most is that the #1 defense has given up 3 points in what probably amounts to about 3.5 quarters of play. They're not doing it with finesse and trickery. They're beating teams up. The defense should be good enough to keep the Packers in every game.

Chubbyhubby
08-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I agree we should be in every game this year. The Defense has improved in my opinion. About the points that we scored, alot of them came off Aaron Rodgers arm.

MJZiggy
08-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm willing to take what I can get.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree we should be in every game this year. The Defense has improved in my opinion. About the points that we scored, alot of them came off Aaron Rodgers arm.

Good. We already know Brett can sling it, it's good to see Aaron suddenly look like the guy we thought we drafted. By the way, the guy the 49ers considered better than him, Mr. Alex Smith, looks horrible, and I think he will be losing his job to Dilfer by game 6. AR looks much better than him this year, and Smith has all that experience. It's amazing how little he looks to use Vernon Davis (superman). He just runs around the field beating coverage and Smith ignores him play after play.

Him8123
08-26-2007, 02:30 PM
we were in every game last year we just f`ed around and lost it in the 2nd half

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 04:21 PM

Hey, Him, we've already got a pessimist rat onboard, we don't need two.

Joemailman
08-26-2007, 04:41 PM

How did you get so lucky so as to miss the games against the Patriots and Jets? :wink:

For the first 3 months of the season, the Packer's pass defense was among the worst in the league. They should be much better this year.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Looking back, the two games we were close in and should've won were against the Rams and Saints. We outplayed both teams in those games. Wins there would've got us in the playoffs. Oh well, spilled milk.

falco
08-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Looking back, the two games we were close in and should've won were against the Rams and Saints. We outplayed both teams in those games. Wins there would've got us in the playoffs. Oh well, spilled milk.

We also total shredded the bills...and somehow lost miserably. I still have no idea how we could outplay them so badly and still get our asses handed to us.

Him8123
08-26-2007, 05:46 PM
im not a pessimist, the games against Rams, Bills, Saints, and Seahawks and Philly we were winning in the 1st half except maybe rams I think and we blew it in the 2nd half thats what i mean. It was aggrivating to watch. So I wasnt being a Pessimist 4and12 I was being a realist. thanks

Him8123
08-26-2007, 06:41 PM
yea and I remember the jets and patriots I try to pretend those didn`t even happen. Not to mention I was at Buffalo wild wings for both games with my favre jersey on getting ragged on by a bunch of people hearing how "the packers suck yadda yadda yadda" and I tryin to defend em

Merlin
08-26-2007, 06:53 PM
What I like about this preseason vs. the past several is that the team is trying to win the game. How many preseason games did it look like we were just going through the motions? I know that youth has a lot to do with that and that is commendable. My fear in our youth strategy is that when all the contracts come up, we will have a bunch of new generation T.O.'s on our hands and won't be able to keep everyone. Even though the Packer's have a reputation of taking care of their own, when as many pro-bowlers leave as we have had since 3T took over, that background of the Packers gets kind of hidden. Right now all the young players are hungry to play and prove themselves. When their contracts are up is usually when we get to see what type of people they are and that's unfortunate.

Him8123
08-26-2007, 06:56 PM
I can see your point, as it stands now though I dont think we`ll ever have to worry about having any "T.O.`s" on our team. Talent wise I hope so but not the prima donna crap

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 08:36 PM
What I like about this preseason vs. the past several is that the team is trying to win the game. How many preseason games did it look like we were just going through the motions? I know that youth has a lot to do with that and that is commendable. My fear in our youth strategy is that when all the contracts come up, we will have a bunch of new generation T.O.'s on our hands and won't be able to keep everyone. Even though the Packer's have a reputation of taking care of their own, when as many pro-bowlers leave as we have had since 3T took over, that background of the Packers gets kind of hidden. Right now all the young players are hungry to play and prove themselves. When their contracts are up is usually when we get to see what type of people they are and that's unfortunate.

I agree, but, let's remember, I believe the Colts went 0-4 last preseason, so ...