PDA

View Full Version : JAG POSTGAME ANALYSIS: OUTSTANDING REVIEWS

TopHat
08-26-2007, 12:50 PM
While on tour in the midwesten states, TOP HAT came across the Holy Grail Turtle at a mystic river near a green bay under a golden sun. The Turtle looked up seeing a "reflection" in the waters. He smiled asking TOP HAT, "Gee, things are getting pretty dull...You know how it is....I know you are now a major contributor to a Packer blog, but Bretsky, MP, Zool, GreenBay007, packers11, Rastak, GBRulz, Woodbuck, Ziggy, Packnut, Packerblues, HarveyWallbangers, CaliforniaCheez, JustinHarrell, Deputy "Mind boggling" Nutz, etc. are wondering about insider postgame JAG reviews?" TOP HAT said, "HMMM, I will post them for the Packer Rats...You will find how it goes amusing." The Holy Grail Turtle smiled, looked away at a rising "lady of the lake" holding a "golden dark green hat" mysteriously appearing in the flowing river, and returned seeing TOP HAT gone.

TOP HAT'S REVIEW: A Tale of Two Halves

SUMMARY: In the first half, the Pack had strong performances from the offense, defense, and special teams to lead 10-0. In the second half, with the Packers reserves playing poorly, the Jaguars reserves rallied to win the game 21-3. Overall, the Pack had positive indicators, especially the dominating 1st team defense, QBs Favre & Rodgers, and most rookies, in the loss with their preseason record going to 2-1. Rookie RB Jackson struggled running the ball, but he scored on a 1 yard TD run and caught 4 catches for 28 yards. Rookie WR Jones shined with six passes for 80 yards. TE Franks had two big catches.

THUMBS UP:

1. Defense: In the first half, the first and second teams’ defenses held the Jaguars to a shutout including two stops on fourth down conversions. The Jaguars were 0-4 on third down conversions and held to six first downs. LB Barnett led the dominating & pressuring defense. During the Jaguars’ second drive, Barnett dropped WR Williams for a one yard gain, stuffed RB Jones-Drew on a 3rd and 1, and ended the drive by wrapping up RB Jones-Drew for no gain on 4th and 1. S Bigby played well enough to please the coaches & to continue starting. S Collins added, "He’s pretty good. He’s been here about two years. He knows the whole scheme of what we’re trying to do. He gets the calls out and he makes the right checks so he’s doing a very good job back there.” (http://packers.scout.com/2/671723.html) CB Bush solidified his nickel cornerback role. "I'm definitely pleased," said John Schneider, personnel analyst to GM Thompson. "It was a great preseason test….[O]ur defense should be able to keep us in games. Offensively, we'll come along…." (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=651601)

2. QBs: Starting the game, QB Favre completed 14 for 130 yards for an 87.5 passer rating. He completed seven consecutive passes in a 76 yards scoring field goal drive. Then, backup QB Rodgers completed five of seven passes in a 73 yard scoring TD drive. For the game, Rodgers finished with a passer rating of 95.6 points, although he was sacked three times. "We were productive in the sense of moving the ball, but we didn't get a lot of points," said Favre...."That's how you judge, with points & wins & losses. We were off with some route-running. We still have a long way to go..... (http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/206919)"

3. Rookies: After a slow start, Packers rookies WR Jones and RB Jackson got better in the game. Jones caught three straight passes for first downs in the first scoring drive. The drive ended with two big plays by Jackson: an 11-yard catch to set up first-and-goal and, on the next play, a 1-yard touchdown run. Rookie LB Bishop had a decent game with 5 tackles including a big hit that knocked the helmet off Jaguars WR Williams. Rookie safety Rouse looked solid including a big hit on Jaguars TE Wiggins. Rookie K Crosby continued to impress on kickoffs & hit a 38 yard field goal. Rookie RB White rushed for 60 yards on 11 carries

4. Special teams. The special teams looked good on solid kickoffs with strong coverage except in the late stages of the game.

THUMBS DOWN:

1. Running game: In an unbalanced offensive attack, the rushing game finished with 84 yards in 25 carries for an average 3.4 per carry. In the first half, with no holes, RB Jackson appeared tentative getting 8 yards on 10 carries. In second half, the coaches made inside zone adjustments (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070824/PKR0201/708240693/1989) opening up holes improving the rushing game. When asked about the running game, offensive coordinator Philbin said, “Not much and not well….They were moving their line at times and slanting and angling….[W]e didn't adapt well to that" (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=651638) [till late in the game].

2. Sloppy & weak offensive play & line execution: In the first half, several receivers did not adjust to coverage making errors on running routes & poor routes. The 1st team offensive line struggled executing the running game. As a brutual assessment of the 1st team offensive line play, a reviewer said:

"On the first play of the game, for instance, dependable left tackle Clifton badly missed his block....On other occasions, the Packers’ blockers whiffed in their attempts to block linebackers....Too frequently, the Packers missed their backside blocks, so when Jackson cut back to daylight, he was swallowed up....Other times, the line was simply overpowered." (http://packers.scout.com/2/671784.html)

In three runs, G Spitz "missed two blocks against a DT and another against a LB (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=651974)." In the second half, the 2nd team offensive line had a real rough game, especially looking like a sieve on pass protection.

3. Shoddy defensive execution & pedestrian defensive backups: In the first half, the 1st team defense looked solid with pressure & big plays. Yet, they lacked an overwhelming pass rush & had a sometimes leaky rush defense. In the second half, the backups played shoddy with pedestrian execution and tackling having few standouts. Rookie DT Harrell continued to struggle against backups. "He played slow and looked sluggish," one scout said. "Poor reactions. He stalled out on the line of scrimmage rushing the passer. He got knocked back too far one time on the goal line. (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=651974)" LB Bishop must improve shedding blockers & LB White must improve to make impact plays.

CONCERNS:

1. Injuries: The Pack had injury scares when WR Driver left with a foot sprain injury and G Spitz left the game with a reocurring injury. WR Driver is expected back for the home opener against the Eagles.
2. Turnovers: In the game, the Pack had two forced fumbles, committed four penalties, and gave up five sacks.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

http://packers.scout.com/2/671784.html

Line's struggles ground rushing attack

From missed blocks to simply being overpowered, PackerReport.com's Steve Lawrence saw an offensive line Thursday night that was dominated by Jacksonville's front seven. Three yards and a cloud of dust. The Green Bay Packers can only wish their rushing attack was that good. Facing the kind of test they’ll have against NFC North rivals Chicago and Minnesota, Green Bay’s running game failed miserably during Thursday night’s preseason loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. If you’re looking for blame, there’s plenty to go around.

Start with the No. 1 offensive line, which was supposed to be the strength of a suspect offense entering this season. You heard the offseason spin coming out of 1265 Lombardi Ave. Young guards Jason Spitz and Daryn Colledge and center Scott Wells were more experienced. They were more powerful, thanks to a year in Rock Gullickson’s strength-training regimen. They were no longer neophytes in coach Mike McCarthy’s zone-blocking scheme. I bought into the hype, too. It all seemed so logical. So what happened on Thursday? The Packers rushed nine times for 10 yards during the first half, when it was starters vs. starters.

To be fair, injuries have slowed the development during training camp. With the Packers thin in the backfield, McCarthy admittedly has called more pass plays during preseason games than he would have liked. In the first half on Thursday, the Packers ran 28 passing plays (27 attempts and one sack) and just nine runs. On top of that, Spitz left the game in the first quarter after aggravating a calf injury. Still, the on-the-field work offered plenty of reason for pessimism with little time to get the errors corrected.

On the first play of the game, for instance, dependable left tackle Chad Clifton badly missed his block against right defensive end Reggie Hayward. That forced fullback Korey Hall to pick up Hayward, leaving linebacker Clint Ingram free to force the play outside to cornerback Brian Williams, who easily beat the block of receiver Greg Jennings and stopped Brandon Jackson for a 1-yard gain. On other occasions, the Packers’ blockers whiffed in their attempts to block linebackers. On the opening possession, after four consecutive passes, Colledge and Spitz both missed their blocks against Jaguars linebackers, limiting Jackson to 2 yards. Later, when the Packers actually won at the line of scrimmage, Spitz’s replacement, Junius Coston, missed linebacker Mike Peterson, who limited Jackson to a 2-yard gain.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

http://www.packerupdate.com/packer_update/2007/08/review-jacksonv.html

REVIEW: JACKSONVILLE AT GREEN BAY

THE GOOD - James Jones is for real...the way he effortlessly plucks balls out of the air and makes people miss after the catch is very impressive....

THE BAD - The Jags have one of the best defenses in football, but Green Bay’s ground game was anemic. While rookie Brandon Jackson tries hard, he’s simply not ready to be a starter in the NFL. The Packers better hope that veteran Vernand Morency is ready for the season opener. Of course, improved blocking up front wouldn’t hurt either.

THE REST -...the entire second-string offensive line really struggled..... Defensive end Jason Hunter played his best game of the preseason...active against the run and flashed some new moves as a pass rusher..... Safety Atari Bigby and corner Jarrett Bush did nothing to make the coaches question their recent promotions. Bigby was aggressive and physical as the starting strong safety and Bush was solid as the nickel back..... Rookie linebacker Desmond Bishop locked down a roster spot with a very good performance....

WHAT WE LEARNED - Veteran offensive tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher are still struggling to adapt to the zone blocking scheme....execute the backside block too often gets overlooked.

Bretsky
08-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the good juice TH

Whether it was missed blocks, being overpowered, or cut blocks, simply put the Packers OL didn't get the job done.

I have a growing concern with Spitz and I'm not at all convinced this OL can lead an effective rushing attack consistently.

I'm impressed with the quickness of Jackson up to this point and I think he can be an effective NFL player at RB, but I have not yet seen the Ahman Green like ability to break the first tackle and/or lunge forward. With an interior OL that can get overpowered that is quite valuable. We were spoiled with that in the past.

Joemailman
08-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Justin Harrell (ours) has suggested that in the preseason, the Packers are not cut blocking. If that is the case, the problems cited in these reports on the running game don't mean much. I suppose we'll have to wait until the regular season starts to find out if we really have a problem in the running game.

TopHat
08-26-2007, 01:26 PM
http://packers.scout.com/2/671755.html

Johnnie Gray: Post-game review:Thoughts on ailing Driver, analysis of offense and defense against Jaguars

OFFENSE

The running game has suffered, but don’t blame it on the system. The Packers have five running backs and five fullbacks. Fullback Brandon Miree, who has been battling a neck stinger injury, was back on the field Thursday night after practicing a couple times this week. A good thing because there was a play when he pointed to Brandon Jackson to go in motion. When Brett Favre looked back at him he pointed to the man he was going to block and did. vre talked recently about having all the talent in the world, but if you don’t have chemistry, you can’t win. mes Jones has been fantastic during the preseason. He and Favre misfired on a crossing pattern that they have been running all summer. These days communication is the buzz word of the locker room as the coaching staff shuffles the lineup to get the best athletes with the best chemistry on the field at the same time.

DEFENSE

The phrase on defense is “hit somebody” and somebody they did. You can’t teach linebacker Desmond Bishop to hit the way he did against the Jaguars. You have to want it. Another player would have come up and just tackled wide receiver Reggie Williams, but not Bishop. He crushed him. If it was me, I would have buried him by putting my head across his chest, wrap my arms around him, lift him up and plant him into the ground. Form tackle. Safety Atari Bigby tried to do what Bishop did in the Steelers game and the receiver bounced off and scored on the play. Williams is the Jaguars’ third string receiver. There were many hits like Bishop’s all night long by the linebackers, and it all started with the defensive line. We didn’t hear their names because they were too busy sucking up the blockers, allowing the linebackers to utilize their speed to roam and fill the gaps. The safeties did a better job of sealing the edge and forcing the running back to cut up inside. This Packers defense can be one of the best in the league because of its aggressive play, and it could be average due to the little things. Last week, I talked about the safeties not giving up their body on the force and this week, they came up, but had their head down. A much better force, but when ‘LT’ from San Diego sees that on tape he will dip to make you commit and then be around the corner before you can say “my bad.” A player to watch in the final preseason game is cornerback Will Blackmon. He has shown that he can handle the return duties, but his corner skills are at a lull. A ten-yard cushion is too excessive on mediocre receivers and with Jarrett Bush, (wearing my number) getting the nod in nickel, I guess that answers my question. Blackmon has a boatload of talent, but he needs to trust it. The little things.

TopHat
08-26-2007, 01:41 PM
www.mytvisonfire.com/p...on/?p=2323

Packers vs. Jaguars Game Review.

Pros:

Nick Barnett was all over the field. He couldn’t be stopped. He almost intercepted a pass, he tipped a pass away, and had several run stuffs including two stuffs on 3rd and 4th and 1 that went for no gain. Nick Barnett was the standout player on the defense.
James Jones continues to play well in every game. Jones once again was the best receiver on the roster once again. If he continues this I would be shocked if he is not the starter by the end of the season. Jones did make a few mistakes (ran two routes wrong and fumbled the ball) but I believe they are all easily corrected.
Desmond Bishop had a great game. He played the run great and also played well in coverage. We also found out that he can hit with his hit that took the helmet off the receiver. That is one of the best hits I have seen in a long time. With Bishop’s performance yesterday I think he earned himself a spot on the team.
Brett Favre had some trouble with communication but I still think he had a good game. He seemed to be spot on his throws but he does need to work on his chemistry with his young receivers.
Aaron Rodgers had another impressive performance. At this point I know he will do a great job replacing Brett once he retires.
Corey White probably improved his chances of making the team with his running last night. He showed some explosiveness and seemed to break tackles pretty well. If White improves a little on this performance he might get the third down spot from Noah Herron.
Bubba Franks had another pretty good game. He had only one reception but he showed that he still has some explosiveness and could still get some long runs.
The starting offensive line did a really good job pass blocking. Brett Favre was mostly able to have all the time he needed to throw the ball. The good pass blocking also let us have 4-5 receiver sets for the first time in quite a while.
The defensive line had another great game. While they didn’t get any sacks it was amazing how much pressure they put on the QB with no blitzing. If we can get that much pressure on the QB without even blitzing, I wonder how much pressure we could get with blitzing.

Cons:

The running game struggled once again. One of the reasons the running game didn’t do well is because Jacksonville is a great run defense team (4th in the whole NFL last season). You can’t blame it all on their defense being good though. I think it was both Jackson’s and the offensive lines fault. The offensive line didn’t open many holes and Jackson didn’t really break any tackles.
The backup offensive line was terrible. They seemed to not be able to pass block anyone. On what seemed like every play the QB was pressured because at least one defensive lineman was chasing them.
Ingle Martin was terrible once again. I think Ingle Martin got himself cut with his performance. He was terrible throwing the ball and even threw a ball right at a LB. At this point I think we should cut both backup QBs and just keep Rodgers and Favre.
Al Harris didn’t have a very good game. For once in a long time Al Harris let receivers get by him and get open. Al Harris was bailed out several times with overthrows and drops. I believe Al Harris just had a bad game.

Game Notes

I was very pleased with our starters. Our defense played great once again and our offense passed the ball well but had some running game problems....Hopefully our offense continues to improve their chemistry and we will have a good season.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Why the hell is Bishop wearing #55? I thought that was Hodge's number. Lots of pissed off Packer fans if this holds up.

vince
08-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Hodge switched his number to his college number 52 this season, opening up 55 for Bishop.

Partial
08-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Justin Harrell (ours) has suggested that in the preseason, the Packers are not cut blocking. If that is the case, the problems cited in these reports on the running game don't mean much. I suppose we'll have to wait until the regular season starts to find out if we really have a problem in the running game.

They are cutting. You can see it on many plays. My guess is they're being pretty lazy about cutting because it hurts the linemen doing the cutting and it takes a lot of energy. It's preseason and the established starters probably don't want to:

A. Get hurt
B. Hurt anyone
C. Work too hard

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Why the hell is Bishop wearing #55? I thought that was Hodge's number. Lots of pissed off Packer fans if this holds up.

Packer fans must be a touchy bunch.

Carolina_Packer
08-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Personally, I've been pissed for years that there are no double zero's playing anymore, or even a number one, but then I'm an idiot and back only worthless causes.

Please check out my website http://www.bringback00.com

Fritz
08-27-2007, 02:04 PM
I think the running game will start slow and improve over the course of the season. I have no reason to think this. It's just my uninformed opinion.