PDA

View Full Version : Going into the season with 2 QB?

Chubbyhubby
08-26-2007, 06:03 PM
I listened to WTMJ 620 last night and they had a guest who cover the Packers on saying that the Packers might just carry 2 QB's on the roster this year cutting the rookie. Is that possible. I thought they needed a 3rd for practice. Anyone want to comment on this?

Merlin
08-26-2007, 06:29 PM
A lot of us think that after the release of Martin. Thompson may get dropped then signed to the practice squad.

MJZiggy
08-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Carlyle Holiday would be ecstatic to hear that...

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 09:07 PM
I can't see that as a possibility. With a 38 year old QB, and a QB that played one game and got injured, the position REUIRES a third string. A move will be made one way or another. There is no way we are going with two QB's this year. That could be potential suicide.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I've said it all along, if Harrell isn't at least close to prowbowl status, we should've picked up Brady Quinn. I know it would've ruffled some feathers in the Rodgers camp, but to me, it should've been a no-brainer. He could end up being a great QB in the NFL. I hope we didn't pull another "Barry Sanders" mistake this draft.

packers11
08-26-2007, 09:11 PM
I can't see that as a possibility. With a 38 year old QB, and a QB that played one game and got injured, the position REUIRES a third string. A move will be made one way or another. There is no way we are going with two QB's this year. That could be potential suicide.

If both of them go down, I already call it a season...

Therefor just go with 2...

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2007, 09:11 PM
There is no way we are going with two QB's this year. That could be potential suicide.

If Thompson is on the practice squad, you can always promote him to the roster in event of an injury. Its safe to assume nobody else would put him on a regular roster, he's too green.

The only question is what happens in a game if both Fave and Rogers are injured in the same game. The answer is the Packers lose, so send Rob Davis out there to play QB.

RashanGary
08-26-2007, 09:36 PM
I agree with HH here. We should be able to sneak at least one of our QB's on the practice squad, Thompson being teh most likely of the two. It might be nice to be able to carry 4 RB's.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, with cap room, in case both QB's go down, can we grab a QB from somewhere midseason? Is that possible?

RashanGary
08-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Well, with cap room, in case both QB's go down, can we grab a QB from somewhere midseason? Is that possible?

It is but it's hard to teach a guy your system in a week. The best is if we sneak one of our guys on the PS where he knows the system, practices on the team and then slides up when we need him without taking a roster spot when we don't.

Bretsky
08-26-2007, 09:39 PM
I've said it all along, if Harrell isn't at least close to prowbowl status, we should've picked up Brady Quinn. I know it would've ruffled some feathers in the Rodgers camp, but to me, it should've been a no-brainer. He could end up being a great QB in the NFL. I hope we didn't pull another "Barry Sanders" mistake this draft.

I would not have liked Quinn, but I didn't like Harrell at the time either. So I'd feel about the same about Quinn; at the time I was not convinced we really needed either.

Lurker64
08-26-2007, 09:40 PM

In a single game, if Favre goes down we probably aren't winning. If Favre and Rodgers go down, we're almost assured of not winning whether we have Martin or Thompson or Holiday in there. After the hypothetical game where 1 and 2 go down, there's a journeyman QB out there somewhere we could snag as a FA so Bretsky could dump his sig, but really nobody out there that would be our 3rd QB is really liable to actually win us any games this year.

Bretsky
08-26-2007, 09:43 PM

In a single game, if Favre goes down we probably aren't winning. If Favre and Rodgers go down, we're almost assured of not winning whether we have Martin or Thompson or Holiday in there. After the hypothetical game where 1 and 2 go down, there's a journeyman QB out there somewhere we could snag as a FA so Bretsky could dump his sig, but really nobody out there that would be our 3rd QB is really liable to actually win us any games this year.

If Holiday makes the team, he played QB at Notre Dame. I'd carry two for sure

Zool
08-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Also have to wait for cut downs to see who's available.

run pMc
08-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Agree if Favre and ARod go down in same game they're screwed. Carlyle could just hand off the ball, but that game would be ugly. Hopefully that doesn't happen. I do agree that only carrying 2 QB's might be the way to go...especially if we continue to have RB health issues and the K competition is too close to call... If Thompson sucks vs. TEN then either they bring Ingle back or grab someone from the cutdowns. You can bet ATL will be looking for QB's.

Quinn would have been a good pick -- if we didn't already have Rodgers. Drafting 2 1st round QB's in 3 years would have raised more hell from fans than the Harrell pick did, and it would have sent the message that TT made a mistake with Rodgers. I don't think they're ready to give up on him yet...I get the impression the coaches haven't seen enough of Rodgers to tell if he's the real deal or not.

Merlin
08-27-2007, 01:30 PM

Anyone remember TJ Rubley? Could it be any worse then that???

Merlin
08-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Agree if Favre and ARod go down in same game they're screwed. Carlyle could just hand off the ball, but that game would be ugly. Hopefully that doesn't happen. I do agree that only carrying 2 QB's might be the way to go...especially if we continue to have RB health issues and the K competition is too close to call... If Thompson sucks vs. TEN then either they bring Ingle back or grab someone from the cutdowns. You can bet ATL will be looking for QB's.

Quinn would have been a good pick -- if we didn't already have Rodgers. Drafting 2 1st round QB's in 3 years would have raised more hell from fans than the Harrell pick did, and it would have sent the message that TT made a mistake with Rodgers. I don't think they're ready to give up on him yet...I get the impression the coaches haven't seen enough of Rodgers to tell if he's the real deal or not.

Last season the Packers brought in a lot of QB's to look at. The coaches see Rodgers practice every day. They have seen enough of him to make that determination. They may not be ready to give up on him yet but having Quinn on the roster (and we definitely could afford it) would have given us two potential starters in the wings (only one if you ask me) and also some trade leverage. 3T went with who he thought was the BPA even though the best player available to 3T was a guy he hardly played the season before, go figure.

Zool
08-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Last season the Packers brought in a lot of QB's to look at. The coaches see Rodgers practice every day. They have seen enough of him to make that determination. They may not be ready to give up on him yet but having Quinn on the roster (and we definitely could afford it) would have given us two potential starters in the wings (only one if you ask me) and also some trade leverage. 3T went with who he thought was the BPA even though the best player available to 3T was a guy he hardly played the season before, go figure.

I cant imagine any team, even one in great financial status to have $15-$17mil tied up in 3 QB's alone.

Merlin
08-27-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't think we would. I think we would have made some kind of trade for either Rodgers or Quinn. Instead, we have how much tied up in a guy that may not even suit up for the first game? Someone who hasn't shown anything but his lack of being in shape and losing to linemen that are sure to be cut? 3T gambled and it isn't paying off like a #1 draft choice should. Rodgers was a #1 choice but with the "future" in mind and not the BPA. Hawk was a #1 choice and expected to contribute from day 1 and was the BPA. So now we draft a guy #1 who we were told was a great addition to our team and who is or was listed as #1 on the depth chart who has yet to prove he belongs on the team. Oh yeah and 3T said he was the BPA after being basically out of football in 2006.

I hope Harrell turns into a monster. 3T gambled, now it's time for that gamble to pay off instead of second guessing what could have been. As it stands right now, our #1 draft choice isn't one of the best 53 men on the team and that's sad.