PDA

View Full Version : TT brings in undrafted FA's

packrulz
05-02-2006, 05:36 AM
By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

Rookie fifth-round draft pick Ingle Martin is going to see a familiar face when he shows up for the Green Bay Packers’ minicamp on Friday, and there’s a good chance it will bring back some bad memories.

As a senior at Furman last season, Martin was about to lead a game-winning drive that would have put his team in the NCAA Division I-AA championship when the quarterback got sacked from behind and fumbled. The person who got to Martin and forced the turnover was Appalachian State defensive end Jason Hunter, who was one of the undrafted free agents the Packers signed shortly after this weekend’s draft.

“That was the play that solidified us going to the championship game,” Appalachian defensive line coach Mark Speir said Monday. “Then in the championship game, Jason recovered a fumble and returned it for a touchdown.”

If Hunter can make those kinds of plays when he gets to Green Bay, he’ll have a chance to beat the odds and make an NFL roster as an undrafted free agent. The Packers did not announce any rookie free-agent signings Monday, a day after the draft, but the Press-Gazette was able to confirm through agents and college coaches that Hunter and four other players have agreed to terms and, if they pass their physicals, will take part in this weekend’s minicamp. The others were: tackle Josh Bourke of Grand Valley State, receiver Chris Francies of UTEP, defensive end Montez Murphy of Baylor and linebacker Byron Santiago of Louisiana Tech.

The Packers didn’t attend Hunter’s pro-day workout at the Boone, N.C., school but got wind of Hunter because Packers defensive line coach Robert Nunn used to work with one of Appalachian State’s assistants, Dale Jones. Jones told Nunn that Hunter was timed in the 40-yard dash at 4.49 seconds, and the Packers became intrigued.

“Sure his 40 time impresses you,” Speir said, “but every scout that came in was amazed at how quickly he could change directions and accelerate.”

Hunter started only one season because he missed his junior year because of academic problems.

“Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s a great kid, but he got lazy and it bit him,” Speir said. “But it was the best thing that ever happened to him. He took 12 hours of summer school and turned into a great player. He doesn’t know how good he is.”

He had a monster senior year that included 101 tackles and 13 sacks. He wasn’t heavily recruited out of Fayetteville, N.C., because he didn’t play football until his senior year. When he got to Appalachian State, he had only 195 pounds on his 6-foot-3 frame. He played at 230 pounds as a senior and said Monday his weight was up to 240 pounds.

Five teams offered him contracts after the draft, but he picked the Packers over Atlanta, Cleveland, Miami and the New York Giants.

“Out of all those teams, the Packers seemed the most excited to have me,” Hunter said. “As soon as the draft was over, I talked to the GM, the head coach and various assistants. That made me feel good because they showed great interest in me.”

General Manager Ted Thompson has said he expected to sign about a dozen undrafted free agents. Thompson doesn’t like to announce the signings until the paperwork has been completed and the players have passed their medical exams.

Bourke (6-7, 310) has played both right and left tackle for Division II Grand Valley State. He missed all of the 2004 season due to a torn medial collateral ligament in a knee but returned to start every game at left tackle last season. The native of Ontario, Canada, was a first-round draft pick in the Canadian Football League a year ago.

Francies (6-1, 193) caught 44 passes for 775 yards and five touchdowns last season at UTEP. He missed two games in the middle of the year due to a rib injury.

Murphy (6-5, 255) played two seasons at Baylor and started every game last year and recorded 9½ tackles for loss and 3½ sacks.

Santiago (6-2, 233) played in 44 games at Louisiana Tech, including 27 starts at outside linebacker.

In other roster moves, the Packers finally announced the signing of free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson, whose contract was completed last week. Woodson, a former Heisman Trophy winner, is expected to replace Ahmad Carroll in the starting lineup.

The Packers also released four players: linebacker Robert Thomas, receiver Willie Quinnie, punter Ryan Flinn and kicker Rhys Lloyd. Thomas started nine games last season. Flinn punted in the final two games of last season after B.J. Sander sustained a fractured leg. Neither Quinnie nor Lloyd ever played for the Packers.

Fritz
05-02-2006, 06:00 AM
Goodbye to Robert Thomas. You don't build a playoff team with guys like that. He was a necessary plug-in for last year (if they hadn't gotten him they might've been calling my Mom up to see if she could play the weak side), but that's about it.

I'm curious why they cut Rhys Lloyd before ever letting him kick in camp. Do the guys work out in front of the coaches before the mini-camps? Anyone know how that works?

Guiness
05-02-2006, 12:55 PM
By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

Bourke (6-7, 310) has played both right and left tackle for Division II Grand Valley State. He missed all of the 2004 season due to a torn medial collateral ligament in a knee but returned to start every game at left tackle last season. The native of Ontario, Canada, was a first-round draft pick in the Canadian Football League a year ago.

Stupid Yank. Where in Ontario? It's kind of a big place. We have cities, don't ya know.

obFoundIt: He's from Tecumseh, south east of Detroit.

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Ontario is SE of Detroit?

Homer Jay
05-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Way, way south.

Murphy37
05-02-2006, 01:57 PM
At 240 lbs, this guy (Jason Hunter) needs to add weight fast unless he's going to change positions to LB. He's fast enough, but LB competition is going to be fierce this year.

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Way, way south.

Excuse me while I grab a map.

Homer Jay
05-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Way, way south.

Excuse me while I grab a map.

Granted it would be closer to go north, but, if you go far enough south you will eventually get there. That is the benefit of the earth being round. If you go far enough south you will get north of where you started.

Guiness
05-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Umm, yes. Look for Windsor. Michigan's upper penninsula is quite far north. I live south of Green Bay.

Lookee here (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=CA&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=&city=windsor&state=on&zipcode=)

I don't mean to get pissy about it, but I almost got shot (no kidding!) after arguing with a Texan that his piss ant state would fit in some of the larger counties in Ontario.

Patler
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Ontario is SE of Detroit?

Having spent much time the last 15 years in various parts of Ontario, I can assure you, Ontario is just about EVERYWHERE! You can get there by traveling:

southeast from Detroit
west from New York State
north from other parts of New York State
north from Minnesota

Homer Jay
05-02-2006, 02:51 PM
I was wrong. I apologize for my ignorance.

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Umm, yes. Look for Windsor. Michigan's upper penninsula is quite far north. I live south of Green Bay.

Lookee here (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=CA&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=&city=windsor&state=on&zipcode=)

I don't mean to get pissy about it, but I almost got shot (no kidding!) after arguing with a Texan that his piss ant state would fit in some of the larger counties in Ontario.

I see it. I can understand how Texas is not so large in comparison to Canadian provinces (and counties). Canada's kind of a big place. I can also see how you could almost get shot arguing about it.

Harlan Huckleby
05-02-2006, 03:08 PM
jeez, u would think 12 draft picks would be enough. Do they have enough empty lockers? These new guys are flooding GB like illegal immigrants.

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Let 'em bring in any warm body that can play they can find. Have a battle royale and may the best football players suit up in September.

Deputy Nutz
05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
I think you can only bring 83 into camp. Or is it 75?

Guiness
05-02-2006, 03:27 PM
jeez, u would think 12 draft picks would be enough. Do they have enough empty lockers? These new guys are flooding GB like illegal immigrants.

Illegal immigrants in Wisconson - I like the idea of that. Do boat people from North Fond du Lac (which is, of course, located south of Fond Du Lac) qualify?

Guiness
05-02-2006, 03:31 PM
I see it. I can understand how Texas is not so large in comparison to Canadian provinces (and counties). Canada's kind of a big place. I can also see how you could almost get shot arguing about it.

Ya, well, the conversation was at a bowling alley with a dance floor, and the topic went from his small state to his small, well, y'know. Anyways, I'm probably at least partly to blame :razz:

swede
05-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I think you can only bring 83 into camp. Or is it 75?

Whose gonna tell?

You just have the coach yell. "YOU STUPID PILE OF CRAP. EVEN THE BALL BOY HERE FROM UTEP COULD CATCH THAT PASS. THROW THE BALL BOY A HELMET!"

Iron Mike
05-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Illegal immigrants in Wisconsin - I like the idea of that. Do boat people from North Fond du Lac (which is, of course, located south of Fond du Lac) qualify?

Huh???? :neutral:

Joemailman
05-02-2006, 06:49 PM
At 240 lbs, this guy (Jason Hunter) needs to add weight fast unless he's going to change positions to LB. He's fast enough, but LB competition is going to be fierce this year.

Put him on the practice squad and feed him a steady diet of pasta.