PDA

View Full Version : Leshon Johnson

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Do you remember the speedy back that played for the Packers for a couple seasons? This news story is two years old. I vaguely remember the story, funny how everybody just yawned at it back then:

OKLAHOMA CITY ESPN
State narcotics agents seized more than 80 pit bulldogs after search warrants were served Friday at the Tulsa residence of a former NFL football player.
The seizures are part of an investigation that resulted in the confiscation of 141 dogs in May and the arrests of 22 people, including former running back LeShon Johnson, said Mark Woodward, a spokesman for the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control.
"When we did the roundup in May, we knew we didn't get all of the people involved, nor did we get all of the dogs," Woodward said. "Today, we found the dogs we were looking for, as well as documentation that will help tie seven to 10 more people to this dog fighting and drug distribution network."
Johnson, a former Haskell High School star who later played running back in the National Football League, was arrested in Hughes County two months ago on dogfighting, conspiracy and racketeering counts.
Some evidence was found at a Checotah-area residence of Luther Johnson Jr., LeShon Johnson's brother. Investigators also found 20 dogs at the Checotah home of Brian McLain, brother-in-law of Luther Johnson Jr., Woodward said.
The first group of 53 dogs, mainly pit bulls, were taken to the Tulsa Animal Shelter, where they will be examined.
Officials with the Humane Society of the United States, which is covering the initial costs to transport the dogs, said many of the dogs were in bad shape.
"Besides obvious injuries they received while fighting, many also appeared to be malnourished," said Jay Sabatucci, regional coordinator of the organization's Southwest Regional Office.
Oklahoma Veterinary Board officials also worked with the OBNDD to find documents and animals tied to the alleged dogfighting ring, he said. The documents included sales receipts, breeding certificates, fight schedules.
Johnson was a standout high school running back at Haskell before playing college football at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M and Northern Illinois, where he finished sixth in the 1993 Heisman Trophy voting race.
He played for the Green Bay Packers, Arizona Cardinals and New York Giants in the NFL before ending his career in the XFL four years ago.
Johnson overcame lymphoma cancer in 1998 and started for the Giants.
Dogfighting is illegal in all 50 states and is a felony in Oklahoma.

4and12to12and4
08-26-2007, 09:23 PM
So what's your point here? Was he involved in the same thing Vick is and got off scott free?

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Actually I didn't have a point. But now that you press me, I'll try and think of one.

Bossman641
08-26-2007, 11:08 PM
I remember Johnson. I had high hopes for him, that sure turned out. :roll:

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2007, 11:13 PM
He was a decent player, they didn't have much at RB back then. (Hey, those days are back!) I think Johnson was the guy who had the pet boa constrictor, trying to remember, there was something odd about him.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Packer notes: Speedy Johnson runs out of time in Green Bay

BY BRAD ZIMANEK
PACKER PLUS WRITER
Green Bay -- Was LeShon Johnson a square peg in a round hole? Or did circumstances just prevent the Packers from ever utilizing the speed possessed by the second-year running back?

"That thing was no one's fault," Packer coach Mike Holmgren said. "He had been hurt and there was no way to get him going again. We couldn't figure out a way. I believe he is a good football player and it wasn't a very popular thing to do in the building but we ran out of choices. I thought we needed to do this."

Last week, the Packers claimed quarterback Jim McMahon on waivers and released Johnson, the team's third-round pick in the 1994 draft.

He was claimed by the Arizona Cardinals. The Chicago Bears and Carolina Panthers also put in a waiver claim for Johnson, but he was awarded to the Cardinals because of their inferior record.

"When you've got a young player with the ability LeShon possesses you agonize over it," Packer general manager Ron Wolf said. "But we felt we were hurting at quarterback from a veteran standpoint."

A variety of injuries (hamstring, toe, knee) plagued Johnson throughout his two-year stay with the Packers and that hampered his ability to learn the offense.

There was also little question Johnson had a better chance excelling as an I-back -- which he was familiar with in college at Northern Illinois -- than the split-back formation employed by the Packers.

"You hate to lose him without ever seeing him carry it 20 to 25 times," offensive coordinator Sherm Lewis said. "We feel we never had the chance to see the real LeShon Johnson."