PDA

View Full Version : Waiver Wire versus free agency

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
With all the talk of Thompson possibly strengthening the TE, RB, LB positions with castoffs, something occurred to me: the Packers record last year may be too good for the Packers to have a shot at any decent players.

Last year, the Packers did pick-up a crop of castoffs, but maybe that was because they came off a crap season and were picking near the top.

Does it make sense that teams with better records have to be more active in free agency to fill-out depth? Or is the waiver wire pretty insignificant?

Him8123
08-27-2007, 03:26 PM
agree and disagree. Some of the best gems come in later rounds of draft. But you still have to snatch up a FA or trade for someone to fill a need when you see it. especially if it`s a proven winner. Can`t always rely on draft picks to be starters and achievers. We have gotten lucky the last two years though..

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Kevan Barlow was just cut. He was a guy that some people thought we should sign, wasn't he?

Him8123
08-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I believe so at one point or another

AV David
08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
" Does it make sense that teams with better records have to be more active in free agency to fill-out depth? Or is the waiver wire pretty insignificant?"

For all the complaining about free agency around here, the Packers did exceptionally well in waiver acquisitions last year. They picked up J Bush, Charlie Peprah and Tony Sanders at the last cutdown. Even if only Bush works out, he is certainly a keeper. He is said to have a big upside and he is pretty good right now. Sanders is seen as starter quality someday. I don't know much about Peprah, we will see come the final cutdown. I think that waiver acquisitions can be huge for young developing teams. You can get good quality that needs some development. The teams that are in a position to try too win now cannot afford that luxury. Those who are rebuilding (yes I said that word) can.

Him8123
08-27-2007, 04:26 PM
there is no tony sanders

Guiness
Barlow wouldn't hurt. At one point, when he was behind Hearst, he looked like he was going to be really good, but just never was.

He's probably be available for the minimum, and would add a bit of experienced (if not overly talented) depth to a really thin group.

Harlan Huckleby
For all the complaining about free agency around here, the Packers did exceptionally well in waiver acquisitions last year. They picked up J Bush, Charlie Peprah and Tony Sanders at the last cutdown.

OK. But the teams choose guys off waivers in the same order that they draft. Last year the Packers were near the front of the line. I just wonder if players of this quality will fall to the Packers this year.

Him8123
08-27-2007, 04:27 PM
But that`s fine rebuilding waiting and hoping guys become starter status one day. But we have a HOF QB with not much time left trying to get to the SB. That still leaves us needing playmakers besides Driver.

AV David
08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
"there is no tony sanders"

You're right. Tony Palmer.

A rose by any other names smells as sweet.

AV David
08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
"OK. But the teams choose guys off waivers in the same order that they draft. Last year the Packers were near the front of the line. I just wonder if players of this quality will fall to the Packers this year."

I agree. Last year we got the cream of the developmental crop. We're probably one year past that developmental stage. We will probably cut some good developmental prospects this year. The same could not be said last year.

It is a typical good news/bad news deal. The good news is you got some good prospects for free. The bad news is you got them because you sucked so bad the year before.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2007, 04:48 PM
But that`s fine rebuilding waiting and hoping guys become starter status one day. But we have a HOF QB with not much time left trying to get to the SB. That still leaves us needing playmakers besides Driver.

I agree. Thompson should have gotten another playmaker in free agency, one way or another. That would not have hindered his rebuilding program.

gbpackfan
08-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Kevin Barlow ran hard this preseason. I believe it came down to numbers and the Steelers wanted to keep some of their younger guys around. I would encourage TT to bring him in.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Barlow wouldn't hurt. At one point, when he was behind Hearst, he looked like he was going to be really good, but just never was. .

If I'm not mistaken, veteran players who have been in the leauge for several years don't have to clear waivers, they are free agents when cut. Or did I just make that up?

Him8123
08-27-2007, 04:52 PM
wouldn`t hurt to give it a shot. I would like to also see that slevin young guy from Denver people have talked about on other threads. sorry if I butchered his name.

Partial
08-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Kevan Barlow was just cut. He was a guy that some people thought we should sign, wasn't he?

Not anymore. He is washed up.

pittstang5
08-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Looking at possible Roster cuts, etc......what about one of the RBs from the Saints. They have Bush, Deuce and just drafted Pittman. Aaron Stecker and Pierre Thomas could be let go from the Saints.

Joemailman
08-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Jermaine Wiggins has been cut by Jacksonville.

Fred's Slacks
08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Barlow wouldn't hurt. At one point, when he was behind Hearst, he looked like he was going to be really good, but just never was. .

If I'm not mistaken, veteran players who have been in the leauge for several years don't have to clear waivers, they are free agents when cut. Or did I just make that up?

I am pretty sure you're correct. In fact, I don't think Ferguson had to go on waivers. I think he automatically became a FA.

Fred's Slacks
08-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Jermaine Wiggins has been cut by Jacksonville.

I saw this too and was somewhat intrigued. Then I thought, he doesn't really give us much over Bubba or Lee right now. He's better then everyone else we got but for how long? I think they'll look for another (hopefully better) developmental type, otherwise stick with what they have at TE. Kind of sad considering how weak they look. But there may be hope if Bubba keeps catching the ball.

GoPackGo
08-27-2007, 06:54 PM

maybe we should have held on to davenport

Bretsky
08-27-2007, 08:24 PM

I don't remember anybody loving Barlow; but is he better than Herron :?:

Bretsky
08-27-2007, 08:26 PM

Washed up ? How old is Barlow ?

I'm not on his wagon or anything; don't really care. It can't hurt to take a look though.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Jacksonville cut FB Derrick Winbush. He's an undersized FB in the Miree mold. He also returns kickoffs decently.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Apparently, I was one of the few that advocated taking a look at him.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=5640&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

See. I knew somebody wanted him.
:oops:

A couple of years ago, I thought he was a solid back. Kind of interesting that the Packers talked to his agent earlier this offseason. Wonder if that ship has sailed. Like Bretsky, I thought he'd be an upgrade on Herron.

Bretsky
08-27-2007, 09:21 PM
It's a bit concerning that here we are hoping we can get other teams scrap heap at both RB positions and at TE; all three on offense

Partial
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM

Washed up ? How old is Barlow ?

I'm not on his wagon or anything; don't really care. It can't hurt to take a look though.

He was the third RB for the Jets last year. They let him walk to the Steelers. They cut him. He isn't a great player imo.

gbpackfan
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
TE - Not worried about.

RB - Ted Thompson has done a dreadful job here. How can the GM of an NFL team fail to aquire a vet. RB when in our situation. Even when we started losing RB after RB, he did nothing. TT's pride is getting in the way of his job to fill a roster. We should have had a vet. RB in here from day 1. What a fucking blunder!!!!

CaliforniaCheez
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Waiver wire vs. Free Agency?

Waiver wire - Prices Ted Thompson likes.

Free Agency - Overpriced scrap at prices too high for Ted.

Him8123
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
This is who TT needs to go out and get ASAP. Automatic contributer.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1770405/context/user_likes:21772

Carolina_Packer
08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
I think you might be able to find someone better than Barlow. Sure, he rushed for 1000 plus in 2003, but has been pretty pedestrian since. Morency will be back, and Jackson will work through his concussion. Wynn might surprise. Herron will likely be a key reserve, but should not be a starter. I would like to see them go for someone too, just not Kevan Barlow.