PDA

View Full Version : Starters playing in the 4th preseason game

Rastak
08-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Looks like the Vikings and Packers will only play their starters one series.

This is just my opinion but with a ten days between this game and the start of the regular season, I think this is really stupid. I know the old argument is not to get anyone hurt but that's just playing scared. These guys need the work if you ask me. Both to get game day conditioning and continue to get timing down.

JMHO....fire away.

BlueBrewer
08-27-2007, 01:06 PM

This is just my opinion but with a ten days between this game and the start of the regular season, I think this is really stupid. I know the old argument is not to get anyone hurt but that's just playing scared. These guys need the work if you ask me. Both to get game day conditioning and continue to get timing down.

JMHO....fire away.

I agree completely, get them some reps, it is a physical game, injuries happen, you can't hide from them. It is more important to start game one firing on all cylinders.

Scott Campbell
08-27-2007, 01:15 PM
1 series? Why bother dressing? If that one series is a 3 and out, then what?

Partial
08-27-2007, 01:17 PM
I think that is dumb. You cannot play scared. I'd rather the starters play the whole first half. They need to get more in-game reps so they are ready to go for the regular season.

Rastak
08-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I think that is dumb. You cannot play scared. I'd rather the starters play the whole first half. They need to get more in-game reps so they are ready to go for the regular season.

One half is exactly what I was thinking.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2007, 01:20 PM

JMHO....fire away.

Play the backups for two reasons. First, I don't want to see a guy like Driver going down in a meaningless preseason game. Do guys like Driver, Tausch, Clifton, Woodson, Barnett, even Favre, etc. need the work? Not really. One marquee guy going down would more than offset the tiny advantage of getting a few more series of work for these guys. Second, there's still a lot of competition. They have to see if some of these guys that are fighting for backup positions can produce with the first team.

Packnut
08-27-2007, 01:22 PM

JMHO....fire away.

I already believe MM made a huge mistake last week. While other teams like the Colts and Pats were playing their starters, our guy pulls Favre.

It's obvious to most that Favre need's as much time as he can get with Jennings and Jones, but McCarthy does'nt get it. We have a young team and they need reps. It's difficult to understand why something so simple is lost upon him.........

Merlin
08-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Well that could change come game day. Favre originally wasn't even supposed to play the last game. I think it's more Favre out there last game then the coach. I think McCarthy asks him how he thinks it's going and if Favre is comfortable then I think he pulls him.

MadScientist
08-27-2007, 01:30 PM

22 guys get the ax after the last game. Best to get them enough time to better evaluate them. The only reason to play the starters at all is if there are specific things to work on. And even then, just run the plays that will let them work on what is needed and get them out of there. The way they do it makes a lot of sense.

Scott Campbell
08-27-2007, 01:41 PM
It's obvious to most that Favre need's as much time as he can get with Jennings and Jones, but McCarthy does'nt get it. We have a young team and they need reps. It's difficult to understand why something so simple is lost upon him.........

Difficult to understand?

He's almost 38 years old, and has been been a Packer for a decade and a half. It's one thing to disagree with McCarthy reasons, but it's another thing entirely to not even acknowledge them. It certainly doesn't appear to be that difficult to understand.

NFL preseason injuries: for health or money

August 20th, 2007 | Posted by PostmanE

As if NFL fans needed another reason to complain about the length of the preseason, the Ravens and Giants lost a combined six — six! — starters last night.

Maybe a picture would help you understand:

http://www.wearethepostmen.com/wp-content/uploads//2007/08/injuries.jpg

Rastak
08-27-2007, 01:57 PM
So why play starters at all in the preseason since it's such a risk? Is the chance of injury that much greater in the 4th than the 3rd game? 10 days between the end of preseason mitigates the time to heal element. If time till the regular season is the reason, why not have starters play the most in week1, less in 2 etc etc......

Brohm
08-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Never would happen due to the $$ involved but I would like to see just 2 preseason games and maybe have more mini-camp/OTA. I have heard people say add 2 regulr season games. That would solve the $$ issue, but that makes it a really long season and would have to add another bye. Could expand the roster too for more developmental players given the teams would rake in more $$ for the 2 extra games.

Scott Campbell
08-27-2007, 02:06 PM
So why play starters at all in the preseason since it's such a risk? Is the chance of injury that much greater in the 4th than the 3rd game? 10 days between the end of preseason mitigates the time to heal element. If time till the regular season is the reason, why not have starters play the most in week1, less in 2 etc etc......

Young guys need to play. Vets - not so much. Guys with nagging injuries - not so much. IMO

Fritz
08-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Actually, with modern training methods the question of whether there even needs to be preseason games has come up. It ain't like the old days where Paul Hornung had to put down the cigs and go to training camp to lose the beer belly and round into shape.

Perhaps pre-season games are just a way to dig more dollars out of your wallet./

Packnut
08-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Difficult to understand?

He's almost 38 years old, and has been been a Packer for a decade and a half. It's one thing to disagree with McCarthy reasons, but it's another thing entirely to not even acknowledge them. It certainly doesn't appear to be that difficult to understand.

NFL preseason injuries: for health or money

August 20th, 2007 | Posted by PostmanE

As if NFL fans needed another reason to complain about the length of the preseason, the Ravens and Giants lost a combined six — six! — starters last night.

Maybe a picture would help you understand:

http://www.wearethepostmen.com/wp-content/uploads//2007/08/injuries.jpg

Anyone who watched the Favre/Jones/Jennings saga, understands they need game work together. McCarthy pulled Favre right towards the end of the half when they could have gotten a little hurry up experience.

The injury excuse does'nt wash. It does'nt hurt any less if it happens now or game 1. Playing scared is for pussies. Football is a violent game.

If Dungy and other HC's who are proven winners can play THEIR guys why can't McCarthy? Oh wait I forgot, you know more then them don't ya?

It's long been the standard that game 3 is a regular season rehersal. If you wanna look at the young guys, that's what games 1,2 and 4 are for.

Now that I've explained the obvious, may-be YOU WILL UNDERSTAND IT. Then again, I doubt it..........

Him8123
08-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I agree with Rastak, you can get injured at any time. No reason to play scared. I think they should eliminate 1 or 2 preseason games and just add 1 or 2 games to the season.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2007, 03:24 PM
If Dungy and other HC's who are proven winners can play THEIR guys why can't McCarthy? Oh wait I forgot, you know more then them don't ya?

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tony Dungy wanted Saturday night's preseason game to be a tuneup for the defending Super Bowl champions...

Manning made it look easy.

When he last faced the Lions on Thanksgiving in 2004, Manning threw six TDs, a number he might have matched Saturday had he not been replaced at halftime of a meaningless game.

But in what was likely to be the final preseason appearance for most of Indy's starters, Manning appeared to be in midseason form.

http://rubechat.kfan.com/emoticons/kfan/box.gif

LEWCWA
08-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Personally, I think this is a non-issue. If they play great in week one nobody cares, if they stink it up, everyone says see told ya so. So about half the teams this might be an issue for. The winners won't give a shit!

Guiness
08-27-2007, 04:24 PM
1 series? Why bother dressing? If that one series is a 3 and out, then what?

I was thinking the same thing. Why dress? The only thing I can guess is that the NFL tells them they have to because the fans are paying full price for the tickets, after all.

As far as worrying about injury, playing scared, etc - it's a percentage thing. Roll the dice more often, more chance of snake eyes. No reason to roll the dice if you don't have to, and Favre can get accustomed to his new recievers just fine in practice. I know it's not exactly the same, but not THAT far off.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm in the tiny minority on this, but I LIKE preseason games. August is not a time to play serious football anyway. I really like that the coaches and players get 4 weeks to figure out who can play, get their shit together. That's not such a long time.

If you want to cut some nonsense, get rid of minicamps.

As far as adding more games to the regular season: NO!! I don't want to see quality diluted anymore than it already has been. Those guys are already banging away so long that many teams are ragged by playoff time.

All of the pro sports seasons are about 30% too long.

Partial
08-27-2007, 05:06 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tony Dungy wanted Saturday night's preseason game to be a tuneup for the defending Super Bowl champions...

Manning made it look easy.

When he last faced the Lions on Thanksgiving in 2004, Manning threw six TDs, a number he might have matched Saturday had he not been replaced at halftime of a meaningless game.

But in what was likely to be the final preseason appearance for most of Indy's starters, Manning appeared to be in midseason form.

http://rubechat.kfan.com/emoticons/kfan/box.gif

Pwned. :D

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2007, 01:28 AM
From Fanball.com

Brees taking night off

Drew Brees has already taken his final snap of the preseason. The Saints announced on Monday that Brees will not play in Thursday's preseason finale against the Dolphins. "I'm probably going to start Jamie (Martin) and give him a good half's worth of work," head coach Sean Payton told the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Our View
Brees has been nearly perfect in his last three preseason outings. In fact, he produced stellar numbers last week despite the fact that starting wide receivers Devery Henderson and Marques Colston were both sidelined.

Bullocks out for season

Daniel Bullocks was placed on season-ending injured reserve on Monday with a torn ACL in his right knee. "He just planted," head coach Rod Marinelli described to the Detroit Free Press. "Nobody even hit him. I just saw him going down. You saw him getting up slowly. You knew something was up." Bullocks suffered the injury during the preseason loss to the Colts on Saturday.

Our View
Rookie Gerald Alexander is slated to replace Bullocks in the starting lineup. The Lions lacked secondary depth even before Bullocks went down.

Jackson won't play Thursday

The Rams aren't expected to use running back Steven Jackson during their final exhibition game on Thursday, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "I'm getting a lot of work during the week in practice; that's when Coach wants me to get my reps," Jackson told the paper. "I do feel rested, and ... Coach has done a great job of making sure I don't take any unnecessary hits."

Our View
Good move by coach Scott Linehan. There's no need to risk an injury to Jackson in this meaningless game.

superfan
08-29-2007, 01:45 AM
I would rather have all of the starters play flat in the first game of the season than lose one starter to a season ending injury during a preseason game.

I say give most of the starters two series. I don't see what value can be gained with just one series. Give them two series of reps to get a feel and some semblance of rhythm, maybe work on a couple specific plays. Then get them out of there.

Rastak
08-29-2007, 05:53 AM
From Fanball.com

Brees taking night off

Drew Brees has already taken his final snap of the preseason. The Saints announced on Monday that Brees will not play in Thursday's preseason finale against the Dolphins. "I'm probably going to start Jamie (Martin) and give him a good half's worth of work," head coach Sean Payton told the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Our View
Brees has been nearly perfect in his last three preseason outings. In fact, he produced stellar numbers last week despite the fact that starting wide receivers Devery Henderson and Marques Colston were both sidelined.

Bullocks out for season

Daniel Bullocks was placed on season-ending injured reserve on Monday with a torn ACL in his right knee. "He just planted," head coach Rod Marinelli described to the Detroit Free Press. "Nobody even hit him. I just saw him going down. You saw him getting up slowly. You knew something was up." Bullocks suffered the injury during the preseason loss to the Colts on Saturday.

Our View
Rookie Gerald Alexander is slated to replace Bullocks in the starting lineup. The Lions lacked secondary depth even before Bullocks went down.

Jackson won't play Thursday

The Rams aren't expected to use running back Steven Jackson during their final exhibition game on Thursday, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "I'm getting a lot of work during the week in practice; that's when Coach wants me to get my reps," Jackson told the paper. "I do feel rested, and ... Coach has done a great job of making sure I don't take any unnecessary hits."

Our View
Good move by coach Scott Linehan. There's no need to risk an injury to Jackson in this meaningless game.

You forgot to post articles on the 600 guys who are perfectly fine and now better prepared to start the season.

Superfan: With only 16 games, I'm sure you can just blow off the first one..... :D

cpk1994
08-29-2007, 07:35 AM
I think that is dumb. You cannot play scared. I'd rather the starters play the whole first half. They need to get more in-game reps so they are ready to go for the regular season. You say that until Brett goes down with a ACL injury and is done for the year. Then you be yelling at McCarthy for not sitting him down right away. This has nothing to do with playing scared.

Rastak
08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I think that is dumb. You cannot play scared. I'd rather the starters play the whole first half. They need to get more in-game reps so they are ready to go for the regular season. You say that until Brett goes down with a ACL injury and is done for the year. Then you be yelling at McCarthy for not sitting him down right away. This has nothing to do with playing scared.

Could happen in practice too, without getting hit. Maybe he should just stay home until the season starts.....I agree with Partial on this one.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
You forgot to post articles on the 600 guys who are perfectly fine and now better prepared to start the season.

My post has nothing to do with who or who isn't playing. It's to Packnut's post about how the people that think the starters shouldn't play (and Mike McCarthy) are dumb because guys like Dungy and other coaches play their starters. My opinion is: the coach has a better feel for the players. If he feels they need a couple of series (Favre), then fine. If he feels they need 3 quarters (TJack), then fine. If he feels they don't need to play, then fine. But to post that everybody else is a dipshit because they don't feel Favre needs to play is assinine.

Rastak
08-29-2007, 10:00 AM

My post has nothing to do with who or who isn't playing. It's to Packnut's post about how the people that think the starters shouldn't play (and Mike McCarthy) are dumb because guys like Dungy and other coaches play their starters. My opinion is: the coach has a better feel for the players. If he feels they need a couple of series (Favre), then fine. If he feels they need 3 quarters (TJack), then fine. If he feels they don't need to play, then fine. But to post that everybody else is a dipshit because they don't feel Favre needs to play is assinine.

Now of course that wasn't MY point. I wasn't calling anyone an idiot. Almost all teams do this. I just don't agree it's the right thing to do to fully prepare for the season.

Actually, McCarthy went from saying Favre might not play to him playing 2 or 3 series. I'm not sure what prompted that change of heart. TJack is only supposed to play one series which I find REALLY stupid.

Merlin
08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
The Packers have started flat for some 4 years now. I would rather not go that route anymore. The Packers are in a unique situation on offense. They have the same line for the first time in years, 1 WR and a QB that have played together for years. Other then that, the skill positions are a major question mark. I would rather see our offense use all four games to gel then start the season 1-4.

You can't get any rewards without risk. If your goal is to win a Super Bowl and not merely be competitive, you use every chance you have to get better. Veteran NFL players may or may not like the pre-season depending on who you talk to. For those veterans who are in the position that Favre is, you know what it is going to take to win, you play the game.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Now of course that wasn't MY point. I wasn't calling anyone an idiot. Almost all teams do this. I just don't agree it's the right thing to do to fully prepare for the season.

Actually, McCarthy went from saying Favre might not play to him playing 2 or 3 series. I'm not sure what prompted that change of heart. TJack is only supposed to play one series which I find REALLY stupid.

I don't have a beef with your argument. I disagree with it, but can see your point.

woodbuck27
08-29-2007, 10:17 AM

JMHO....fire away.

When the team you are trying to coach over a tough 16 game NFL schedule has so little real depth. You may tend to run scared or cow toe to another's miscalculations.

It's not the best policy to not have your starters battle ready or hardened by contact.

NFL TC's isn't the National Ballet tryouts.

What we are seeing in Green Bay certainly looks a lot like 2005 TC to me. How'd that work for us?