PDA

View Full Version : some good humor from Favre

Pacopete4
08-27-2007, 06:23 PM
REPORTER: "Brett, are you at all unsettled about how unsettled the running back group appears to be at this time?"

(Brett takes a gulp of water)

Brett (with a shit grin on his face): "We'll just have to throw it more mark..."

haha.. couldnt of answered the question better without causing waves

MadtownPacker
08-27-2007, 07:38 PM
The truth is a Favre leading a short, controlled passing game would likely be unstoppable if the WRs can make the catches. Maybe the grin is cuz he knows he is gonna get his chance to put up major #s this season.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2007, 07:44 PM
The truth is a Favre leading a short, controlled passing game would likely be unstoppable if

short passing game is for teams with crappy offensive lines that don't allow them to throw deep or run the football. what's the last team with a scary offense built around short passes?

MadtownPacker
08-27-2007, 07:46 PM
short passing game is for teams with crappy offensive lines that don't allow them to throw deep or run the football. what's the last team with a scary offense built around short passes?
I think thats about sums it up.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
hater

packinpatland
08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
The truth is a Favre leading a short, controlled passing game would likely be unstoppable if

Didn't Brett mention Holmgren and short passes in the same answer?

CaliforniaCheez
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Jerry Rice made a career doing it.

James Jones looks like he has potential to do well with it.

I do miss the Packer O-line of a few years ago that could run a fine screen pass.

Partial
08-27-2007, 10:12 PM

New Orleans?

Partial
08-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Jerry Rice made a career doing it.

James Jones looks like he has potential to do well with it.

I do miss the Packer O-line of a few years ago that could run a fine screen pass.

I think when Clifton's days are up they will have the speed on the line with Barber, Colledge and Wells to have a great deal of success doing this. In 1996 that was such a huge part of the offense!

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2007, 10:20 PM
New Orleans?

They have a nice running game too.

Zool
08-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Maybe those pesky 49'ers teams of the 80's? They seemed to throw short sometimes.

Merlin
08-28-2007, 09:44 AM
One of the arguments that Favre haters often use against him is that he doesn't have a very good QB rating running the West Coast Offense. WCO QB's are known for having a high completion percentage, low turn over rate, and an average yards per catch. That is basically what it takes to have a high QB rating. The Packers haven't really run that type of WCO since Mike Holmgren. Mike Sherman used the running game to open up the pass and a WCO type WR route scheme and the WCO uses the pass to open up the running game. Mike McCarthy used a variation last year but it was still more designed to use the run to set up the pass. I suspect that even though we should be better in the ZBS this year that you will see more of a true type WCO. I base this only on the speculation that we will never know who our running backs are for any given game. I am certain we will see people running the ball for us that aren't even on the roster yet. It seems that once a running back gets injured, that injury plagues them all season. We have 3/6 (something like that) with injuries right now.

Favre knows he is going to be putting the ball up probably more this season then any other in his career. BUT, a majority of those passes will be short routes designed to get 5-6 yards.

In regards to Clifton et al, it's little too early to speculate on who will take over for him. And as far as the screen is concerned, that was a main stay for Sherman and we had bigger, slower linemen then, not smaller faster ones. IF we can't run a screen with the line we have now, adding a different tackle or two won't make a difference. It takes more then 1-2 linemen to create a good screen.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Maybe those pesky 49'ers teams of the 80's? They seemed to throw short sometimes.

ya, but they also had a running game. And a TE and wideouts that could stretch the field.

whenever a team is really shitty offensively, people start talking about the short passing game. I don't think it works like that. The short passes are easy to defend without other threats. Ya, they maybe get some first downs, but they don't score.

Zool
08-28-2007, 12:18 PM

ya, but they also had a running game. And a TE and wideouts that could stretch the field.

whenever a team is really shitty offensively, people start talking about the short passing game. I don't think it works like that. The short passes are easy to defend without other threats. Ya, they maybe get some first downs, but they don't score.
Its a staple of the WCO shitty skill players or not.