PDA

View Full Version : Packers defense getting the hang of it

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2007, 08:57 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7159418

Packers defense getting the hang of it
Adam Schein, FOXSports.com

They say Week 3 of the NFL preseason is the most important date in August as the starters play significantly. I hesitate to use "important" and "preseason" in the same sentence, but you certainly saw some interesting trends this weekend.

Here are Schein's nuggets from the Week 3:

# The Packers defense was fantastic against the Jaguars. I was really impressed how Mike McCarthy's defenders flew around the field. Desmond Bishop nearly took Reggie Williams head off on one play. In talking to cornerback Al Harris the day after the game, the veteran said that a play like that really inspires the entire unit.

Harris says the defense is on the same page and that a second year in the same system will go a long way. You could see how cohesive the Green Bay defense was. Harris also believes that he and Charles Woodson will form one of the best cornerback combinations in the NFL.

Nick Barnett had a great game Thursday night, Atari Bigby has all but deposed Marquand Manuel at safety, and A.J. Hawk is about to become a star.

On the other side, I am a Byron Leftwich believer, and I have written before that the passing-game struggles are a product of the receivers who will never live up to their draft status. However, the game Thursday night on FOX in Green Bay was very much anti-Leftwich. He was guilty of a lack of touch and simultaneously made too many erratic throws. This has to get better by Week 1 of the regular season.