PDA

View Full Version : New Guy At JSO

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Finally. I did want Pelissero though.

Ready for action on the Packers beat
Greg A. Bedard

I'm not sure who's on edge more this week: me or the 20-odd Green Bay Packers players who will be handed a pink slip by the end of this weekend.

As some of you have already figured out, this is my first week as a member of the Journal Sentinel's Packers beat team after four years at the Palm Beach Post on the Dolphins beat. And this is my first of many columns in the Insider section of JSOnline.

You don't need to be a veteran to know this section of the Web site means business. You guys are the diehards, Cheesehead-ed beasts who crave any and all information on the Packers. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

I think I'm a lot like most of you. I'm a fan of the game at heart. But I'm one of the lucky few who gets on the inside to find out what's really going on. And that's the information I'm aiming to bring you in this space. Give me about a week to get the lay of the land and I'll deliver for all of you not only in this column, but in chats and other features we have in the works for you.

And believe me when I tell you this: I will not cheat you. The things I will relate to you in this section will be based in fact. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by trying to fake it. Nope. I know that doesn't fly around these parts. I need to be on point or you guys and gals, especially, will see through me immediately.

So, for this column, let me share with you some of the things I know about this Packers team through my work covering the Dolphins.

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders basically runs the same defense that Jimmy Johnson brought to the Dolphins from the Dallas Cowboys. Johnson taught it to Jim Bates, who taught Sanders.

While the defense certainly can be very effective with the right personnel, I can tell you that Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas quickly became bored with the scheme. There isn't much blitzing. There isn't any disguising of anything. And it puts a lot of pressure on certain positions, especially middle linebacker.

When Nick Saban arrived with the 3-4 after Dave Wannstedt resigned, Thomas couldn't have been happier. It was like he was freed from jail. He could finally put his vast football intelligence to some real use.

That being said, the Packers have most of the personnel that is essential to this 4-3 scheme: big, fast guys up front who can stuff run lanes and get to the quarterback. An active middle linebacker in Nick Barnett (although I think he'd be better on the weak side). And two very good press corners in Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

But a lot of pressure is also put on the safeties, and the Packers have a lot of work to do there. They need to hold the whole scheme together.

To be fair, safety Atari Bigby didn't get much of a shot with the Dolphins before getting cut. While he didn't make it to training camp, he had plenty of opportunities to show what he could do in minicamps and OTA days but failed to do so.

I enjoyed covering tight end Donald Lee when he was with the Dolphins, but he couldn't have frustrated the coaching staff more. If he wasn't jumping offsides, he was dropping passes and missing blocks. He's much improved here but the Packers need him to do much more.

Speaking of tight ends, David Martin told me to say hello to the fans up here before I left for Wisconsin. He admitted that he viewed his tenure with the Packers as pretty much a failure. Injuries had a lot to do with that. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

And, finally, I'm surprised wide receiver David Clowney hasn't had the opportunity to do more in training camp. He's a player I covered at Atlantic High School in Delray Beach, Fla. I don't know that I've ever seen a more polished passing attack on the prep level. Clowney and quarterback Omar Jacobs, a former pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers out of Bowling Green, often filled the humid Friday night air with jaw-dropping bombs. Jacobs would throw them and Clowney would go run under them.

The funny thing about Clowney is he went from basically having no scholarship offers to a full ride to Virginia Tech in just about the last day before the signing period began. Luckily for Clowney, the Hokies lost out on one of their commitments, which opened the door for Clowney.

That worked out for him. And I'm hoping his time in Green Bay will end up the same way, even if he has to go to the practice squad for a year.

This transplanted South Floridian doesn't have any such safety net. It's sink or swim time for me now that I've plunged into the beat and Insider. Considering my audience, there's a lot of water out there to negotiate.

And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Bretsky
08-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Good first article; after his comments on the defensive scheme I thought of Wist licking his chops to comment

CaliforniaCheez
08-27-2007, 10:40 PM
The new guy will become an oldtimer at JSO when he starts writing negative stories about the Packers.

I think there is a bit of jealousy that causes Milwaukee to to write the way they do.

It is not just the McGinn hatred of Ted Thompson.

The only one I like there is Silverstein.

The Leaper
08-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Good first article; after his comments on the defensive scheme I thought of Wist licking his chops to comment

Well, I hope Zach loves his new shiny defense...because the Dolphins SUCK far more now than they did with the old defense.

b bulldog
08-28-2007, 03:59 PM
lOOKING FORWARD TO READING HIS JSO articles in the future.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 05:37 PM
The new guy will become an oldtimer at JSO when he starts writing negative stories about the Packers.

I think there is a bit of jealousy that causes Milwaukee to to write the way they do.

It is not just the McGinn hatred of Ted Thompson.

The only one I like there is Silverstein.

California's reading glasses:

http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/gbglasses.jpg

Joemailman
08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't think McGinn hates Thompson. He did an interview where he asked some tough questions. Big deal. McGinn has also said he thinks the Packers could be pretty good. If that happens, I suspect he'll give Thompson some credit for it, unlike a few people I could think of.

Bretsky
08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't think McGinn hates Thompson. He did an interview where he asked some tough questions. Big deal. McGinn has also said he thinks the Packers could be pretty good. If that happens, I suspect he'll give Thompson some credit for it, unlike a few people I could think of.

You talkin to me :duel:

Fritz
08-28-2007, 08:24 PM
As someone who never played organized football, I admit to being puzzled about how Zach Thomas got "bored" in the defense the Pack plays now. I mean, if you're playing the position in the D that has the most pressure on it, as the writer said was the case, then how are you bored? You're the centerpiece of the D. On top of that, would it be boring if your defense was really good and your team was winning? Like I said, I've never played organized football, so I wonder how this works.

The Leaper
08-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I sure Thomas wasn't "bored" with the old defense. He wouldn't have performed at a Pro Bowl level if he was bored and uninterested.

What likely happened was that he was getting questioned about the new system when it was getting put into place after Bates left. He was probably trying to emphasize that the new system was something he was enjoying getting used to...and made an off-hand reference to "being bored" in the old one.

That is all which is needed for these dumbass reporters to start making up crap.