PDA

View Full Version : Manuel running out of time to state his case at safety

Partial
08-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Decision Time Looms
BOB MCGINN

If strong safety Marquand Manuel is worried about his future with the Green Bay Packers, he's not saying.

Actually, by turning down another interview request Monday, he's not saying anything at all.

Perhaps, then, Manuel's silence speaks loudly because as the Packers' final cut to the 53-man roster looms on Saturday, no veteran's roster spot appears more tenuous than that of Manuel.

"Those decisions . . . I'm not going to be the person that makes those decisions," secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said. "I've heard some speculation in the media, possibly that (Manuel could be cut). But he's here right now. He's working hard every day, he's a great pro and I'm excited as heck to have him."

Whether Schottenheimer will be saying that next week remains to be seen.

Just a year ago, Manuel entered training camp with a five-year, $10 million contract from the Packers as an unrestricted free agent after helping the Seattle Seahawks reach Super Bowl XL.

Manuel was supposed to shore up the Packers' secondary. Instead, he created a gaping hole by allowing several big plays and leading the team with 15 missed tackles.

Coach Mike McCarthy and his assistants, at least publicly, continue to blame Manuel's struggles last season on injuries. He left the Super Bowl with a groin injury and it carried over into the beginning of his tenure with the Packers. Then a calf injury kept him out of 19 training camp practices.

"He's clearly different athletically than he was a year ago," Schottenheimer said of Manuel.

Nick Collins, who started all 16 games alongside Manuel at free safety last season, didn't think that Manuel's struggles had to do with injuries. Collins said it took time for Manuel to adjust to a new system.

"This was a new defense for him and everybody was trying to learn it at the same time so everybody could be on the same page," Collins said. "I wouldn't say it was injuries."

If Manuel is now healthy and has more experience in the Packers' defense, then why has he slipped on the depth chart behind journeyman Atari Bigby, something that Schottenheimer said was "accurate"?

"With Atari, part of it is that we recognize he's a very talented young man," Schottenheimer said.

"Marquand has been outstanding in this camp."

If Manuel was truly performing at a high level, then he likely wouldn't be spending a second straight week working with the second team. But that's where he stands entering the final exhibition game Thursday night against the Tennessee Titans. And it might just be Manuel's final appearance in a Packers uniform.

"I would be shocked if that happened," Collins said. "But we're just going to let the coaches make their decision."