PDA

View Full Version : Manual LIKELY Done As A Packer IN PARTIAL's OPINION

Partial
08-28-2007, 12:59 PM
While this doesn't outright say it, the writing is on the wall as long as Bigby or the back-ups don't really screw the pooch.

Practice wraps up; McCarthy said S Manuel won't play Thursday
TOM PELISERRO

Safety Marquand Manuel will not play in Thursday's preseason finale at Tennessee, but Coach Mike McCarthy declined to say after practice today whether that means Manuel's spot on the 53-man roster is safe.

Manuel and rookie Aaron Rouse, who has a hamstring injury, will not see any action, allowing coaches to evaluate a number of backups, including Charlie Peprah and Tyrone Culver.

Atari Bigby, who replaced Manuel as the starting strong safety last week, will play through the second quarter, McCarthy said.

Also sitting out Thursday's game will be staring cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

Quarterback Brett Favre will play two to three series, McCarthy said.

Cornerback Will Blackmon will return the first punt despite a thumb injury that McCarthy today called a fracture, not a sprain. Blackmon has been wearing a cast during practice this week.

McCarthy said the team will make its final cuts from 75 to 53 players sometime Friday, but wouldn't specify what time.

Donald Driver, Shaun Bodiford and Michael Montgomery were not at practice today. Attending practice but not participating in any contact drills were Brandon Jackson, Tony Moll, Vernand Morency, Tony Palmer, Spencer Havner, Jason Spitz, Kabeer Gbaja Biamila, Rouse and Abdul Hodge.

Morency did take part in some of the individual drills.

He's not injured and is not suiting up. He's getting cut as long as the youngens don't get hurt or give up some awful plays. Kudos to TT for playing the situation right and keeping him on the roster long enough to insure they could keep him if they don't find someone better, but to make the tough decisions to let him go if someone better emerged.

swede
08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Cutting Ferguson, Ingle Martin, and now, perhaps, Marquand Manuel is a good sign that every player on this team may be able to look around the lockerroom and know that they all earned their way onto the roster.

To this point I can't think of anyone besides Justin Harrel that looks to be getting a pass. And in terms of Harrel even that makes sense--several other rookie DT's drafted lower than him have gotten the same sort of pass over the years.

woodbuck27
08-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Haha!!

What could any of us really read into that move of holding Marquand Manuel out of the 4th game related to his immenent release? PLEASE??

MM may simply be playing it safe with him, and at the same time getting a better look at the other winners and losers at safety.

swede
08-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Eh, Woody, I looked at the depth chart again. You're probably right about this. Manuel may lose his starting job but I don't think we're deep enough to cut him.

And throughout preseason the coaches' seem to have his back even if I don't.

Partial
08-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Haha!!

What could any of us really read into that move of holding Marquand Manuel out of the 4th game related to his immenent release? PLEASE??

MM may simply be playing it safe with him, and at the same time getting a better look at the other winners and losers at safety.

Why would they hold out a 2nd string safety? They're primarily sitting the starters for the third game to keep them healthy for the season. Manual's position on the depth chart would dictate that he plays in this game.

It seems to me they don't want him to get hurt so they can release him. They're keeping him as an insurance policy just to make sure their other safeties aren't terrible.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Why would they hold out a 2nd string safety? They're primarily sitting the starters for the third game to keep them healthy for the season. Manual's position on the depth chart would dictate that he plays in this game.

It seems to me they don't want him to get hurt so they can release him. They're keeping him as an insurance policy just to make sure their other safeties aren't terrible.

Ummm... maybe because they know what they have in Manuel. Bigby is the starter, but needs more PT. This is a chance for Peprah and Culver to run with the first team. If they fail, I wouldn't be surprised if Manuel sticks. My hunch is that Peprah is the guy that they are really interested in seeing. If he does well, Manuel could be gone.

Partial
08-28-2007, 01:43 PM

Ummm... maybe because they know what they have in Manuel. Bigby is the starter, but needs more PT. This is a chance for Peprah and Culver to run with the first team. If they fail, I wouldn't be surprised if Manuel sticks. My hunch is that Peprah is the guy that they are really interested in seeing. If he does well, Manuel could be gone.

My thought process is that they are holding him out so they can look at the other guys. They know what they have in Manual, I agree. I wouldn't be too surprised if Manual sticks either, but I think they're keeping him out of playing mop-up ball in the second half is so they can get more reps for their young guys and if they don't faulter, I would think Manual is as good as gone.

He's a solid back-up imo, but I have a hunch they will go a different route.

BallHawk
08-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Misleading thread title. :duel:

BallHawk
08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Thank you. :mrgreen:

Fritz
08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
While this doesn't outright say it, the writing is on the wall as long as Bigby or the back-ups don't really screw the pooch.

Practice wraps up; McCarthy said S Manuel won't play Thursday
TOM PELISERRO

Safety Marquand Manuel will not play in Thursday's preseason finale at Tennessee, but Coach Mike McCarthy declined to say after practice today whether that means Manuel's spot on the 53-man roster is safe.

Manuel and rookie Aaron Rouse, who has a hamstring injury, will not see any action, allowing coaches to evaluate a number of backups, including Charlie Peprah and Tyrone Culver.

Atari Bigby, who replaced Manuel as the starting strong safety last week, will play through the second quarter, McCarthy said.

Also sitting out Thursday's game will be staring cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

Quarterback Brett Favre will play two to three series, McCarthy said.

Cornerback Will Blackmon will return the first punt despite a thumb injury that McCarthy today called a fracture, not a sprain. Blackmon has been wearing a cast during practice this week.

McCarthy said the team will make its final cuts from 75 to 53 players sometime Friday, but wouldn't specify what time.

Donald Driver, Shaun Bodiford and Michael Montgomery were not at practice today. Attending practice but not participating in any contact drills were Brandon Jackson, Tony Moll, Vernand Morency, Tony Palmer, Spencer Havner, Jason Spitz, Kabeer Gbaja Biamila, Rouse and Abdul Hodge.

Morency did take part in some of the individual drills.

He's not injured and is not suiting up. He's getting cut as long as the youngens don't get hurt or give up some awful plays. Kudos to TT for playing the situation right and keeping him on the roster long enough to insure they could keep him if they don't find someone better, but to make the tough decisions to let him go if someone better emerged.

Hey, does anybody happen to know where and when that phrase "screw the pooch" came up?

I hope those young guys don't screw the pooch! Poor dog.

falco
08-28-2007, 09:07 PM

I agree Harv. Manuel has nothing left to prove. McCarthy will give the young guys a chance to steal his spot Thursday night.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
My thought process is that they are holding him out so they can look at the other guys. They know what they have in Manual, I agree. I wouldn't be too surprised if Manual sticks either

I think you're right. What were you thinking when you made the thread title? Are you one of those wise guys? Or did you just get flustered like Miss Teen South Carolina?

Carolina_Packer
08-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Hey, does anybody happen to know where and when that phrase "screw the pooch" came up?

I hope those young guys don't screw the pooch! Poor dog

Try this...
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=545154

I don't think it would be horrible to hold onto Manuel, even as a backup. 5 years 10 million is a lot for a backup, true. KGB has become a part-time player, and while I'm not comparing the contributions (past or present) of KGB to Marquand Manuel, it's simply to point out that there is precedence for keeping an expensive backup. If we use Manuel for depth and particular formations, he might be able to find situations in which to thrive and not be completely in over his head.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't think it would be horrible to hold onto Manuel, even as a backup. 5 years 10 million is a lot for a backup, true.

ya, I say keep him. the other backups are unimpressive, altho of course you keep Rouse.

falco
08-28-2007, 09:23 PM
I don't think it would be horrible to hold onto Manuel, even as a backup. 5 years 10 million is a lot for a backup, true.

ya, I say keep him. the other backups are unimpressive, altho of course you keep Rouse.

But what about the cap?? :shock:

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 09:28 PM
cap? we don't need no stinkin cap.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2007, 09:30 PM

Strangest shit ever. I had never heard the term before today. Then, a co-worker says it in a meeting today. I come on here, and somebody mentions it. Weird how things work like that.

Bretsky
08-28-2007, 09:36 PM

Strangest shit ever. I had never heard the term before today. Then, a co-worker says it in a meeting today. I come on here, and somebody mentions it. Weird how things work like that.

Geez, how the heck old are you ? :lol:

Carolina_Packer
08-28-2007, 11:01 PM
But what about the cap??

No thanks, I never wear one. Apologies to Frank Drebin from the Naked Gun after being asked, "How about a night cap?"

Zool
08-29-2007, 07:35 AM

Geez, how the heck old are you ? :lol:

I was thinking that same thing. Does that make me old?

woodbuck27
08-29-2007, 08:27 AM

My thought process is that they are holding him out so they can look at the other guys. They know what they have in Manual, I agree. I wouldn't be too surprised if Manual sticks either, but I think they're keeping him out of playing mop-up ball in the second half is so they can get more reps for their young guys and if they don't faulter, I would think Manual is as good as gone.

He's a solid back-up imo, but I have a hunch they will go a different route.

We havn't seen a lot in M. Manuel to excite us, Re: his accuisition Partial.

In reference to sitting him Vs. the Titans and given our needs at safety SINCE END OF 2006.

The scary thing given our emphasis to secure a formidible 'D' is that MM and the coach's have him penciled in as a lock on our roster for depth (too much cost) or worse as a starter (hes not demonstrated to us that he has it).

I know what your trying to communicate in your title. A lot of us hope that TT and the coach's found a better answer than M. Manuel. A lot of us will be annoid if that's not a reality. :)

run pMc
08-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I think they're sitting him because they know what they have with him. I also think if they were going to cut him, they'd have done it by now...that seems to be TT's modus operandi -- witness the release of players early of the first cutdown deadline, and the way they released Fergy.

My guess is they want to rest some of the players likely to see a lot of reg season PT, and also to see how the guys on the bubble do. The starters don't play much in game 4.