PDA

View Full Version : Walker deal makes more cap room

KYPack
05-02-2006, 09:10 AM
This just in from the JSO:

The trade of wide receiver Javon Walker to the Denver Broncos on Saturday resulted in the Packers picking up significant salary cap room.

Walker was scheduled to count $2.005 million against the salary cap in 2006, but as a result of the trade, the Packers will be relieved of more than half of that total because his $1.125 million base salary transfers over to the Broncos. The Packers are still responsible for the remaining portion because it relates to the signing and option bonuses Walker received when he signed the contract.

Not bad, we get a little more room to sign up all these rooks.

Patler
05-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I think the JSO comment is off just a little. I believe Walker still has a small bonus amount that will now be accelerated. His contract was actually through 2007, but terminable a year early due to performance. One mid contract bonus he received, I think, was then amortized over the remaining life of the contract, through 2007.

The end result, I believe is an additional acceleration now that Walker was traded of a little less the $400,000. In the end, I think the Packers gain only about $770,000 in additional cap room in 2006, not a little more than a million as JSO seems to suggest..

Nit picking, I know. :roll:

GrnBay007
05-02-2006, 11:03 AM

Oh cmon rock, it's the nit that counts in the picking. We love you here!

Anti-Polar Bear
05-02-2006, 11:07 AM

Like we need more money to sign the rookies. What we need to do is SPEND MORE money to sign MORE veteran STARS. BUT the STARS are now long gone. The Polar Bear bypassed the OPPORTUNITY to SIGN THEM. She would rather have ROOKIES PLAYING. Doesn't SHE know that ROOKIES lacks experience?

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 11:13 AM
He drafted the stars. Just wait.

RashanGary
05-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey Tank,

Did you read the artical on cap economics? It backed up everything I said..

Remember when I said UFA was an open market and by nature an open market drives up the price of whatever is being sold.....I said that drafting and tags/tenders ect...are ways to lock up your players for long term at good rates...

The artical basically word for word but better written said everything that I said to you.

KYPack
05-02-2006, 12:03 PM

Like we need more money to sign the rookies. What we need to do is SPEND MORE money to sign MORE veteran STARS. BUT the STARS are now long gone. The Polar Bear bypassed the OPPORTUNITY to SIGN THEM. She would rather have ROOKIES PLAYING. Doesn't SHE know that ROOKIES lacks experience?

Point is, Baby Tanky, we DO have enough to :

Sign the rooks
Pick up a key June cut
and maintain a reserve for in-season moves.

Your own broken-record sentiments about TT are annoying and well known.

KYPack
05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
I think the JSO comment is off just a little. I believe Walker still has a small bonus amount that will now be accelerated. His contract was actually through 2007, but terminable a year early due to performance. One mid contract bonus he received, I think, was then amortized over the remaining life of the contract, through 2007.

The end result, I believe is an additional acceleration now that Walker was traded of a little less the $400,000. In the end, I think the Packers gain only about $770,000 in additional cap room in 2006, not a little more than a million as JSO seems to suggest..

You SURE you ain't Patler?

I make the cap savings 1.15 million on the JW trade, for now, we'll see what the #2 pick (Colledge?) gets.

The $770,000 you speak of is JWalk's LTBE bonus.

Well see what the total cap savings is.

GrnBay007
05-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Hey......we might be able to find a dead horse laying around!! :razz:

KYPack
05-02-2006, 12:13 PM

Would that be my mount, or Baby Tanky's?

Either way, I'll accept it, dubble "O"!

MadtownPacker
05-02-2006, 12:16 PM
nice that something good happened while getting rid of that traitor. I hope his career sucks from here on out and has to go work a real job. I got nothing but hatred for walker.

No Mo Moss
05-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Any word on the deal he signed with Denver?

GrnBay007
05-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Would that be my mount, or Baby Tanky's?

Either way, I'll accept it, dubble "O"!

That would be our beloved Tank. As a person that absolutely hates dwelling on the past, I think it's time to put Mr. Sherman and Mr. Whale at rest with this organization. Lets move on ..............

Patler
05-02-2006, 12:49 PM

I make the cap savings 1.15 million on the JW trade, for now, we'll see what the #2 pick (Colledge?) gets.

My calculations are based on:

A pre-trade cap figure of just over $2Million, made up of a salary of $1.15 million and a prorated bonus amount of $855,000.

Following the trade, GB has to account for the $855,000 plus a remaining roster bonus portion of $380,000 that would not have hit the cap until 2007. (See my explanation of the second bonus ammortized over the life of the contract, which really was through 2007, but terminable based on performance.)

If you add the $855,000 plus the $380,000, the 2006 cap hit should be $1,235,000. If you subtract that total from the pre-trade hit of $2.005.000 you get a cap space gain of $770,000 resulting from the trade..

KYPack
05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Any word on the deal he signed with Denver?

He signed a 6 year extension with 10 million in S & SB.

Guy got paid, a bad precedent, but it's a done deal.

These are preliminary numbers, but pretty close to the actual deal.

Partial
05-02-2006, 04:36 PM
http://www2.jsonline.com/idealbb/avatars/14222.jpg

Patler
05-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Cute picture! Mind if I use it?

Partial
05-02-2006, 04:41 PM
no go ahead. I think it fits you well

KYPack
05-02-2006, 10:05 PM
no go ahead. I think it fits you well

Yeah, put it up there.

And, ah, welcome home, Bro.

Tarlam!
05-03-2006, 01:40 AM
In the end, I think the Packers gain only about $770,000 in additional cap room in 2006, not a little more than a million as JSO seems to suggest..

Na, Patler used to quote from this site, and one other site: 2006 Cap (http://members.cox.net/cappage/2006cap.htm).

For Patler, this site was the Cap Bible....

KYPack
05-03-2006, 08:08 PM

A pre-trade cap figure of just over $2Million, made up of a salary of $1.15 million and a prorated bonus amount of $855,000.

Following the trade, GB has to account for the $855,000 plus a remaining roster bonus portion of $380,000 that would not have hit the cap until 2007. (See my explanation of the second bonus ammortized over the life of the contract, which really was through 2007, but terminable based on performance.)

If you add the $855,000 plus the $380,000, the 2006 cap hit should be $1,235,000. If you subtract that total from the pre-trade hit of $2.005.000 you get a cap space gain of $770,000 resulting from the trade..

SMF,

I don't think yer #'s are correct.

I emailed Craig Pheebles, the ultimate cap freak & will post his opinion. I don't buy the $380,000 hitting our cap #.

I'll post it and if I'm wrong, well it won't be the first time, pal.

Fritz
05-03-2006, 09:07 PM

Dude, you ARE Patler. Or you're channeling Patler. Glad to have a capologist on board, either way.

Patler
05-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Another way to estimate the cap effect is this. Walker received the following guaranteed money:

$3 million signing bonus in 2002
$1.3 roster bonus in 2003, presumably guaranteed and amortized
some nickel and dime stuff the first couple years, not worth worrying about. and probably not amortized over the contract anyway.

In the published cap lists from 2002 through 2005 $3.165 of these bonuses were accounted for, leaving $1.135 of the $4.3 in bonuses yet to be counted against the cap at some point. Because of the trade, all of that hits the cap this year. If his expected cap number was $2,005,000 in 2006, the gain in available cap space resulting from the trade is $870,000.

This doesn't match exactly with my other calculation, but both seem to show something over a million in bonus money yet to be accounted for.

I'm only using published figures relating to his contract. I have no way of knowing the validity of them.

KYPack
05-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Another way to estimate the cap effect is this. Walker received the following guaranteed money:

some nickel and dime stuff the first couple years, not worth worrying about. and probably not amortized over the contract anyway.

In the published cap lists from 2002 through 2005 $3.165 of these bonuses were accounted for, leaving $1.135 of the $4.3 in bonuses yet to be counted against the cap at some point. Because of the trade, all of that hits the cap this year. If his expected cap number was $2,005,000 in 2006, the gain in available cap space resulting from the trade is $870,000.

This doesn't match exactly with my other calculation, but both seem to show something over a million in bonus money yet to be accounted for.

I'm only using published figures relating to his contract. I have no way of knowing the validity of them.

Well, man. This thread, from my standpoint, is done. The other figures you posted were incorrect, but I ran the numbers based on the data on the Cap Site and came up with a figure of $875,000. You say 870, so I'd say we're both pretty close

So, it ain't worth arguing over 5 grand, no?

When Craig emails his take on the cap savings, I'll post it in this thread.

Patler
05-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, man. This thread, from my standpoint, is done. The other figures you posted were incorrect, but I ran the numbers based on the data on the Cap Site and came up with a figure of $875,000. You say 870, so I'd say we're both pretty close

Which of my numbers do you think are incorrect?

KYPack
05-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Well SRF,

Craig Phephles answered my question in his cap blog. Go over there to see a VERY interesting picture, or to get more detail on his answer.

Here's Craigs reply

JWalk counts $855k in "dead cap" for 2006, i.e., his "cap hit" (2006 was his last year under contract).

Craig says $855
You say $ 870
I say $875.

The "answer" is in there someplace.