PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Comments From Mort

Packnut
08-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Caught some of ESPN radio this a.m. and they were asking Mort for his division picks. It would seem the national media is now coming around in it's evaluation of the Packer D slowly but surely.

When asked about the NFC North and if there might be a surprise team, he said it was GB because of their D, but he also said it was a shame nothing has been done to surround Favre with talent.

Whenever, myselfy Bretsky, Merlin, woodbuck or retailguy (just to name a few) make any criticism of Thompson's failure in this area, we're labeled as TT bashers. What I find hilarious about that is that our view is also pretty much the same view as the majority of national media since most have all stated the same thing. So I have to ask, is Mort a TT basher?

I remember all through the FA period, the mantra of the Thompson brigade here was we're to far away from competing for a SB to waste money on a free agent cause it won't make a difference. Now you guys know who you are, so I don't think I have to go back and single anyone out.

Plain and simple, you guys were as wrong as wrong can be. This Packer team was not as far away as some of you wanna claim and your hero is at fault for sitting on his hands. Some of us tried to make the case that Thompson should not waste Favre's last playing days and we were met with the same stupid reply that Teddy is building for the future. Well, this may come as a shock, but the future could have been now.

Favre is'nt the only one nearing the end. We have a couple of CB's who also are running out of time to still be effective. Thompson under-evaluated this defense. Had he been paying attention, he would have seen the potential of this unit to be dominant. Had he been paying attention, he would have seen the chance in this watered down league, to make a run at the title.

What you guys claim to be TT bashing is nothing more than some of us seeing what could have been and voicing our frustration. In order to illustrate the point, let's focus on the 2 area's that this offense is lacking in. Now I know a few here wanted to dillude themselves into believing that Morency was a #1 back or that Jackson was gonna come in and save the day. Neither has happened as some of us predicted. Jackson may become a serviceable back, but he is nothing special.

Morency just can't stay on the field and he also is nothing special. To further illustrate my point, compare both with the Ahman Green of a few years back. Our guys just don't have that burst needed to make the stretch play work. They don't have the strength to consistently break tackles. In this league, it's essential to have a back that can either make a move or break the tackle of the first defender cause the holes are very small and close very quickly. There is a reason why most star RB's in the NFL were studs in there college days and were high picks. You just can't plug anyone in there. Denver made it work but that is 1 team out of 32.

Next is the importance of having a solid TE. Does anyone realize how many teams have not 1 but 2 solid above avg TE's? Most teams have realized the critical nature of the position in an offense and have focused on having talent. Our guy, still has the mentality that you can put anyone there, even converted FB's.

The sad part of all this is it did'nt have to be this way. I guarentee if we had a Travis Henry at RB and an Eric Johnson or Daniel Graham at TE, we'd all be talking super bowl right now. The money was there and it would'nt have broken the bank. The time was now, not 2 or 3 years from now. Teddy has blown a golden chance that does'nt come along all that often and he need's to be held accountable.

TPF
08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Can't we just all be friends? :D

BallHawk
08-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Nah, it's an all out war.

Excuse the subtle pun. :wink:

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
TT is doing a lot of things well (draft, re-signing players, etc), but I can agree that he needs to be some what more aggressive in free agency. This team really isn't as bad as some people here think and if we had a little more on offense we would have a good chance this year.

I understand the argument of having a lot of free agents in 2008/2009 and needing the money to re-sign those players, but by then Favre, Harris, Woodson, Tauscher, and Clifton will be done or almost done. Why not take a chance now while we don't have lots of free agents? This is my main problem with TT.

Partial
08-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Are you hitting the crackpipe again? Travis Henry and Bubba2.0/injury waiting to happen and we're talking superbowl? Balogna!

We're a boarderline six seed. If a lot of things go right, we might have a chance at getting back into the playoffs in a weak conference.

We're a long way away. I think by the end of the year we'll be as good as some of the playoff teams. We're not even close, now.

As for the criticism of TT from the national media being correct but the TT "bashers" on here being wrong, I think you're all unjustified in your shinanigans.

If we had Green and Grant back and went into the season with only the whole at TE, I still don't think we would be anywhere near a superbowl. Maybe I would consider us a lock to go 9-7 instead of likely to go 9-7.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Good thing you changed that last sentence P.

Carolina_Packer
08-28-2007, 02:57 PM
yeah, if he was willing to sign Pickett and Woodson last year to upgrade the defense, wasn't there the offensive equivalent of both (in terms of contract deals) that could have been had by the Packers this past offseason?

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know who would have fit our system, but I'm guessing that since Denver runs the ZBS and traded for Henry, that we might have had a shot if we had gone after him.

It's curious to me why he didn't go out and sign a legit pass-catching TE. Randy McMichael seems like he would have been great.

SS, I guess you could make the argument that Manuel needed a second chance this year due to nagging injuries and being a first year starter, so drafting a top SS or getting one in FA, wasn't as high on the list. They did draft a rookie SS in Aaron Rouse and had Bigby who is emerging.

Receivers I guess you could see where they had hopes for Holliday and Martin, as well as having drafted James Jones that they didn't need to make a big splash in FA. Plus, Koren Robinson might be coming back.

RB seemed like the biggest need. Why not get someone like Travis Henry and draft a developmental back who can be groomed? I say that even with having Morency. Sometimes you leave too much to chance, and I think that's what TT has done here, unless he's biding his time and hoping to have a shot at Darren McFadden or Steve Slaton, but if we have another mediocre season and draft around the 15 spot again, we have not shot at either back.

Brandon494
08-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Ok, so if we had given Favre weapons guess what? Our defense would not be as strong as it is. Get over it already.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Funny how Packnut has positioned himself to be "right", no matter what. Before, he was crying about how bad we stink. Why isn't Thompson doing anything? Now, he's crying about how we might be pretty good, but Thompson didn't do anything to put us over the top.

If we suck, he can say he was right that Thompson is horrible.

If we are good but don't win a championship, he can say he was right and Thompson should have done more to put us over the top.

Pretty convenient.

Zool
08-28-2007, 03:11 PM
It's curious to me why he didn't go out and sign a legit pass-catching TE. Randy McMichael seems like he would have been great.

A good TE would be very nice to have, but at least for now, it looks like Bubba has stopped eating buttered popcorn and washing his hands with baby oil on the sidelines.

RB I just dont know. I really dont like Travis Henry. Buffalo gave up on him easy after 2 good seasons.

Tennessee has Chris Brown, Lyndale White and Chris Perry(?) at RB and they let him go mighty easy. I wouldnt be any more happy with that backfield than I am with Jax, Morency, Herron and a tunafish sandwich (i.e. whoever fills in for injuries). Somethings not right about that guy.

Dammit when are the games going to start so we can bitch about actual production rather than potential?

Partial
08-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I just want to say this:

What if they did match Green's salary? Add on 7-8 million to our salary cap. What if they signed another legit free agent? Packnut wanted Deon Grant, so add on another 5 million. That's 13 milion right there added to the Packers payroll annually.

They are 13 million under the cap right now.

What happens if they want to extend Corey Williams or upgrade a player's contract that earns it? They have no flexibility then. They could potentially have Aaron Kampman and if he keeps playing how he has been Cullen Jenkins holding out because they're underpaid.

What does TT do then? Let them walk?!?!

b bulldog
08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Isn't making the defense a potential top 10 unit, the drafting of Jones and Jennings along with the young lineman on offense surrounding Brett with talent??? This IS A TEAM GAME,CORRECT??????

The Shadow
08-28-2007, 04:05 PM
I remember all through the FA period, the mantra of the Thompson brigade here was we're to far away from competing for a SB to waste money on a free agent cause it won't make a difference. Now you guys know who you are, so I don't think I have to go back and single anyone out.

Plain and simple, you guys were as wrong as wrong can be. This Packer team was not as far away as some of you wanna claim and your hero is at fault for sitting on his hands. Some of us tried to make the case that Thompson should not waste Favre's last playing days and we were met with the same stupid reply that Teddy is building for the future. Well, this may come as a shock, but the future could have been now.

1. You are most welcome to single me out - I am one of 'those guys'.
And I certainly haven't changed my opinion : the Packers are definitely on the upswing, but not at a Super Bowl level yet.
2. I much prefer building a solid contender for the long haul - and not take a one year paper tiger approach for the benefit of ANY single player.
3. Ok?

Badgepack
08-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Plus we could have gotten Joey Harrington.

Spaulding
08-28-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm not a TT defender although I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until towards the end of this 3rd season depending on if the ship is floating or sinking.

As for the clamor about not giving Favre enough weapons, pretty lame if do a little research. Can't suggest he hasn't done so via the draft, which leaves the gripe being the lack of FA's signed but who short of maybe Moss this year was worth the risk and cost? Resigning Green would have been great but not at that price tag. Henry? Never have been sold on him and both the Bills and Titans haven't been all that sad to see him go. Darryl Jackson (knee concerns), McGahee (desire?), Jamal Lewis (much left in the tank), etc. and the list goes on.

Last year I don't recall that much so maybe we missed on some FA's. If so I'd like to see what offensive FA's signed lead to significant improvement in their teams. Stallworth maybe but again the price, age, injury doesn't wet my appetite for him. This year, aside from Moss at WR (where it looks if Driver is healthy we should be fine with Jennings, Jones, Martin and Holiday), I was hoping for Eric Johnson at TE. I can't debate that this isn't a position of concern but we don't know that if behind closed doors McCarthy stated he liked Lee/Franks/Humphrey/Alcorn just fine. If McCarthy lobbied for an upgrade and TT didn't pull the trigger in FA or take a TE higher then the eggs on him. Status - unknown as it's still the preseason and we may be okay if Bubba returns to form and Lee or Alcorn become steady. Granted big ifs but still unknown. Check back week 4 or so.

Going back to the help on offense, how do you classify the three drafts under TT as not trying to improve the offense??

1st - QB (Rodgers) - point taken this doesn't help Favre
2nd - WR (Murphy)
5th - C (Coston)
6th - WR (Bragg)
7th - OG (Whitticker)

2nd - OG (Colledge)
2nd - WR (Jennings)
3rd - OG (Spitz)
4th - WR (Cory Rodgers)
5th - QB (Martin)
5th - OT (Moll)

2nd - RB (Jackson)
3rd - WR (Jones)
4th - OT (Barbe)
5th - WR (Clowney)
7th - RB (Wynn)
7th - TE (Harris)

Seems like a reasonable investment in the offense. I'm not trying to defend TT from having made mistakes as he's obviously done his fair share by not addressing the guard position in 2005 and possibly TE play this year but I don't think he's the failure some point him to be.

Negative is fine as long as it's based in facts and invites thought and debate. Bashing is best left for the JSO. I'd guess the reason the blind kool-aid drinking posters don't get quite the same level of flak is that as Packer fans we all want the team to succeed and it's a lot easier to digest and get less uptight when somebody is incredibly optimistic versus constantly finding things to harp on.

GoPackGo
08-28-2007, 04:36 PM
The sad part of all this is it did'nt have to be this way. I guarentee if we had a Travis Henry at RB and an Eric Johnson or Daniel Graham at TE, we'd all be talking super bowl right now. The money was there and it would'nt have broken the bank. The time was now, not 2 or 3 years from now. Teddy has blown a golden chance that does'nt come along all that often and he need's to be held accountable.

Travis Henry is not Packer people. He has 9 kids with 9 women he is not married to. I'm glad he's not a Packer. Eric Johnson is being held together bye duct tape and won't make it through the season. Graham hasn't ever done squat in the NFL.

PlantPage55
08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Going back to the help on offense, how do you classify the three drafts under TT as not trying to improve the offense??

And that's what I hate about media-generated hype and pre-season projections. They act like if it wasn't a 1st round pick or a FA signing, then nothing happened.

I've heard several pundits say "we have given Favre no weapons."

On the contrary, we gave him Murphy (unfortunate, but it WAS an attempt at getting him a weapon), we gave him Jennings (who they do begrudgingly mention, depending on the analyst you're listening to), and now we gave him Jones and Brandon Jackson.

Oh yeah, and 2 starting linemen and some very promising depth.

But yeah, none of that stuff was in the 1st round, or overpaid for from some other team - so it won't matter :roll:

retailguy
08-28-2007, 04:57 PM
So I have to ask, is Mort a TT basher?

Yes

retailguy
08-28-2007, 04:57 PM

No

retailguy
08-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I just want to say this:

What if they did match Green's salary? Add on 7-8 million to our salary cap. What if they signed another legit free agent? Packnut wanted Deon Grant, so add on another 5 million. That's 13 milion right there added to the Packers payroll annually.

What happens if they want to extend Corey Williams or upgrade a player's contract that earns it? They have no flexibility then. They could potentially have Aaron Kampman and if he keeps playing how he has been Cullen Jenkins holding out because they're underpaid.

1. What happened to Morency running for 1,500 yards? That ought to make us 16-0? right?
2. What happened to you "rubbing" Justin Harrell's (the player) success in my face during Week 3? That ought to make us better than 9-7.
3. They're $15mil under the cap after cutting Ferguson.
4. Stick to computer science b/c you don't know Jack about math. :P

GrnBay007
08-28-2007, 05:12 PM

No

Be nice RG

:butt:

:P

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 05:16 PM
ok, Morency got hurt. If Green was here, and his oft-injured knees acted up, we'd be in pretty much the same boat.

I don't like the idea of counting on rookies. I don't think Jackson should have been counted on to even be a #2 this year. TT should have gotten another free agent. But, when you have 3 injuries at one position, particularly a specialty like RB, any GM is going to be caught with his pants down.

There, I'm safely on both sides of the issue now.

Freak Out
08-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Packnut, I bash TT sometimes and I praise him sometimes but all I want right now is a full view of your damn avatar! Give it up man!

Partial
08-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Isn't making the defense a potential top 10 unit, the drafting of Jones and Jennings along with the young lineman on offense surrounding Brett with talent??? This IS A TEAM GAME,CORRECT??????

Bingo.

Partial
08-28-2007, 05:31 PM
I just want to say this:

1. What happened to Morency running for 1,500 yards? That ought to make us 16-0? right?
2. What happened to you "rubbing" Justin Harrell's (the player) success in my face during Week 3? That ought to make us better than 9-7.
3. They're $15mil under the cap after cutting Ferguson.
4. Stick to computer science b/c you don't know Jack about math. :P

Morency and Jackson will combine for that. Easily. That won't make us 16 and 0.

Looks like I was wrong on the Harrell thing. We'll know in time.

OK, so 2 million left over for future use.

4 is just plain retarded.

RashanGary
08-28-2007, 05:35 PM
The best thing about Thompson is that he has the team getting consistantly better and their is no financial wall that we are nearing. We are getting better only to get better only to find ourselves in position to get better. That's acctually hard to do but is exactly what I have expected Thompson to do all along.

If anyone has anything to rub in over the next few months, it's us who have supported Thompson and saw the big picutre who should be rubbing the panic crowd's nose in their idiocy.

Joemailman
08-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Any team with their top 2 running backs out is going to look to be in a bad position. Hell, if the Bears lost their top 2 running backs, they'd be down to a midget trying to run between defenders legs to gain some yardage.

Bretsky
08-28-2007, 05:53 PM
TT is doing a lot of things well (draft, re-signing players, etc), but I can agree that he needs to be some what more aggressive in free agency. This team really isn't as bad as some people here think and if we had a little more on offense we would have a good chance this year.

I understand the argument of having a lot of free agents in 2008/2009 and needing the money to re-sign those players, but by then Favre, Harris, Woodson, Tauscher, and Clifton will be done or almost done. Why not take a chance now while we don't have lots of free agents? This is my main problem with TT.

:bclap:

Bretsky
08-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Are you hitting the crackpipe again? Travis Henry and Bubba2.0/injury waiting to happen and we're talking superbowl? Balogna!

We're a boarderline six seed. If a lot of things go right, we might have a chance at getting back into the playoffs in a weak conference.

We're a long way away. I think by the end of the year we'll be as good as some of the playoff teams. We're not even close, now.

As for the criticism of TT from the national media being correct but the TT "bashers" on here being wrong, I think you're all unjustified in your shinanigans.

If we had Green and Grant back and went into the season with only the whole at TE, I still don't think we would be anywhere near a superbowl. Maybe I would consider us a lock to go 9-7 instead of likely to go 9-7.

Who is Grant; maybe I'm developing amnesia in my old age ?

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Hell, if the Bears lost their top 2 running backs, they'd be down to a midget trying to run between defenders legs to gain some yardage.

ouch. sounds like Morency & Jackson

Bossman641
08-28-2007, 06:01 PM

Deon grant I'm guessing.

Bretsky
08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Funny how Packnut has positioned himself to be "right", no matter what. Before, he was crying about how bad we stink. Why isn't Thompson doing anything? Now, he's crying about how we might be pretty good, but Thompson didn't do anything to put us over the top.

If we are good but don't win a championship, he can say he was right and Thompson should have done more to put us over the top.

Pretty convenient.

That is what is tough; I don't know how I can win or lose with my view. I think we're OK; TT is doing an OK job. He's a good drafter.

But I want it faster. So I can't really win or lose.

I've said mutiple times last year was the year to throw the loot at the free agents as there was a lot of talent out there. We came back with Pickett and an extrememly frontloaded deal for Woodsen designed to use up our short term cap space and miximize future flexibility.

Would I have did more then Snapper did this year in Free agency ? Heck yes, but at the same time that's because I'm a now guy and TT is more of a later guy.

I don't care for TT's lack of urgency; so until we wins it all I may never care for him.

But if TT wins a Super Bowl he'll get my full faith and I will be wrong in how he's developing this team his way.

I will agree with one thing; the National Press definitely agrees that TT should have did more on offense. From Steve Young to Troy Aikman to Mort to Phil Simms. They would all be considered haters in here.

But they are also win now minds. Time will tell.

Bretsky
08-28-2007, 06:04 PM
I just want to say this:

Next year's cap will go up Partial; would still have plenty of room to sign Williams.

Him8123
08-28-2007, 06:17 PM
I`m not a TT defender or basher, he`s done some things good and hasn`t done alot of things he probably should. Although this years FA was weak, filled with bad personality trouble makers to almost over the hill players who weren`t worth the money. that being said I`m sure there was a reliable RB or TE out there that he could have gotten to be a security blanket, e.g. rouben droughns, dominick rhodes, or someone else, going off the top of my head of decent FA`s.

vince
08-28-2007, 06:48 PM

Pretty convenient.Absolutely 100% correct (as usual) Harv.

Nut, it’s nice to see that you acknowledge (in your own delightful way) how Ted is improving the quality of the team into a contender!

While your tone hasn’t changed from your offseason posturing (thankfully – it’s quite comical) your position certainly has. After reading your latest rant, I couldn’t help but laugh. Man, you are an angry bastard. That’s no way to go through life, nut.

Just because I so enjoyed your newest spin, I went back to see some of your posts over the second half of this offseason, and I gotta say, it made my night. Absolutely hilarious – in a mean old bastard kind of way.

Here are some of the gems - directly from the keyboard of the nut himself…

“That's called knowing football and knowing damn well not one of the TE's on this roster is gonna produce like a WC offense needs.”

“If that makes me anti-TT than so be it. All I know is that come Nov., there's gonna be some crow served up with that turkey.”

“…it's difficult to reason with someone who has little understanding of the game. Do you have any idea how just plain dumb that is?”

“For the life of me, I just can't fathom how Teddy's plan up to date sparks confidence in even his most blind followers.”

“This slow methodical turtle like approach will NEVER NEVER work in today's NFL.”

“I'm fine with the kool-aid drinking crap but anyone who thinks this group of TE's is going to give us the production you need in a WC offense is pretty much brain dead.”

“Yet his backers will tell you Alcorn will come out of no where or Bubba will learn how to catch again. Nothing but fairy tale BS for people who have no grasp of reality.”

“Man, I can't wait to see your answer when we get ZERO production from our TE's. Better start thinging about what excuses your going to use.”

“Your just like a woman, you only understand what fits your opinion.”

“Now you wanna talk about spineless? Look in the mirror. Teddy does no wrong in your eyes. You except every move he makes without question. Loyalty doesn’t mean brainless.”

“THIS season will tell us all we need to know about Teddy and the team's immediate future. I'm more than happy to stake my credibility on this season. … If this team improves on last season's record and makes the play-offs, than I will admit to being wrong about Thompson and will never utter a single negative word about him. If this team doesn’t improve on 8-8 and have a play-off spot, you grow up and join the real world!”

“If you guys choose to live in fantasy land, I suggest you pick a fantasy that has hot naked woman who cater to your every desire. That would seem one helluva lot more plausible then this one you've built with Thompson.........”

“Based on what we have right now and what we've seen, as a whole our receiving corps is below avg.”

“These are different times and the odds are that Teddy's stubborness and in-ability to adapt will prove very painful for us fans..........”

“The amount of mistakes are starting to add up and while a few believe there's nothing wrong with him making mistakes, it's hurting our team. Thompson's job is to do what-ever it takes to put the best team out there. He has without a doubt failed.”

“3 years is enough time to fix the problems that have jumped out. I wanna see a 15-20% improvment in ppg, RZ efficency and rushing offense. If we do not have those than Teddy has failed plain and simple. If we do improve in those 3 areas than I'll be first in line pushing for a 5 year Thompson contract extension.”

“Damn, I must have missed that memo about you becoming God. I guess you do know everything, (well at least in your own mind).”

“I suggest you ignore me as I have ignored you for the most part for quite a while now. Life is short, and no sense in wasting anymore time. Have a nice life and I hope you get everything that you deserve.........”

You're one of a kind nut. I'd tell you to keep it up, but somehow, I know you will... :lol:

Freak Out
08-28-2007, 07:12 PM
TT should have built a SB contender by this time next year if Favre sticks around...if #4 retires then add one for Rogers to get comfy. If we are not contenders at that time then TT has failed in his duties and his performance will need to be reviewed by the board. His contract is how long?

Spaulding
08-28-2007, 07:36 PM
The best thing about Thompson is that he has the team getting consistantly better and their is no financial wall that we are nearing. We are getting better only to get better only to find ourselves in position to get better. That's acctually hard to do but is exactly what I have expected Thompson to do all along.

If anyone has anything to rub in over the next few months, it's us who have supported Thompson and saw the big picutre who should be rubbing the panic crowd's nose in their idiocy.

I think I need another case after reading that :) JK, I like your optimism although I wonder if the kool aid is spiked a bit after a sentence like that.

Bossman641
08-28-2007, 08:01 PM

I think I need another case after reading that :) JK, I like your optimism although I wonder if the kool aid is spiked a bit after a sentence like that.

LOL, I hope there's not any English teachers around. I'm still trying to figure out what that means.

I'd say I'm about 65-35 in favor of TT.

The optimistic side of me sees what he is doing (continually stockpiling young talent, encouraging competition, keeping us in very good position for FA's) and sees that if this young talent ever emerges we will have a long legitimate SB window.

The pessimistic side of me believes that if certain things happen (young players fail to develop, TT shies away from spending cash, our current playmakers age and others fail to replace them), not only will we be bad but we will also have been bad for a very long time.

Overall, I'm fine with taking the slower approach but I really wish TT had addressed the TE and RB situations this offseason.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-28-2007, 08:03 PM
I just want to say this:

How do you even know TT is going to sign Williams? Jolly is coming along nicely, Pickett still has three years on our team, and we just spent a lst round pick on a DT. Not much room for Williams to get a big deal. And as I understand 2009 we tons of free agents, so are we supposed to wait until after then to go out and get free agents and be aggressive? By then we will have to develop even more players becasue Driver, Favre and others will be gone. As I said TT knows how to get the talented players in the draft, but I question if he will make a move and take a shot while we have the money.

Partial
08-28-2007, 08:18 PM

Deon Grant, safety from Jacksonville that is now a Seahawk

The Shadow
08-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Pretty convenient.Absolutely 100% correct (as usual) Harv.

Nut, it’s nice to see that you acknowledge (in your own delightful way) how Ted is improving the quality of the team into a contender!

While your tone hasn’t changed from your offseason posturing (thankfully – it’s quite comical) your position certainly has. After reading your latest rant, I couldn’t help but laugh. Man, you are an angry bastard. That’s no way to go through life, nut.

Just because I so enjoyed your newest spin, I went back to see some of your posts over the second half of this offseason, and I gotta say, it made my night. Absolutely hilarious – in a mean old bastard kind of way.

Here are some of the gems - directly from the keyboard of the nut himself…

“That's called knowing football and knowing damn well not one of the TE's on this roster is gonna produce like a WC offense needs.”

“If that makes me anti-TT than so be it. All I know is that come Nov., there's gonna be some crow served up with that turkey.”

“…it's difficult to reason with someone who has little understanding of the game. Do you have any idea how just plain dumb that is?”

“For the life of me, I just can't fathom how Teddy's plan up to date sparks confidence in even his most blind followers.”

“This slow methodical turtle like approach will NEVER NEVER work in today's NFL.”

“I'm fine with the kool-aid drinking crap but anyone who thinks this group of TE's is going to give us the production you need in a WC offense is pretty much brain dead.”

“Yet his backers will tell you Alcorn will come out of no where or Bubba will learn how to catch again. Nothing but fairy tale BS for people who have no grasp of reality.”

“Man, I can't wait to see your answer when we get ZERO production from our TE's. Better start thinging about what excuses your going to use.”

“Your just like a woman, you only understand what fits your opinion.”

“Now you wanna talk about spineless? Look in the mirror. Teddy does no wrong in your eyes. You except every move he makes without question. Loyalty doesn’t mean brainless.”

“THIS season will tell us all we need to know about Teddy and the team's immediate future. I'm more than happy to stake my credibility on this season. … If this team improves on last season's record and makes the play-offs, than I will admit to being wrong about Thompson and will never utter a single negative word about him. If this team doesn’t improve on 8-8 and have a play-off spot, you grow up and join the real world!”

“If you guys choose to live in fantasy land, I suggest you pick a fantasy that has hot naked woman who cater to your every desire. That would seem one helluva lot more plausible then this one you've built with Thompson.........”

“Based on what we have right now and what we've seen, as a whole our receiving corps is below avg.”

“These are different times and the odds are that Teddy's stubborness and in-ability to adapt will prove very painful for us fans..........”

“The amount of mistakes are starting to add up and while a few believe there's nothing wrong with him making mistakes, it's hurting our team. Thompson's job is to do what-ever it takes to put the best team out there. He has without a doubt failed.”

“3 years is enough time to fix the problems that have jumped out. I wanna see a 15-20% improvment in ppg, RZ efficency and rushing offense. If we do not have those than Teddy has failed plain and simple. If we do improve in those 3 areas than I'll be first in line pushing for a 5 year Thompson contract extension.”

“Damn, I must have missed that memo about you becoming God. I guess you do know everything, (well at least in your own mind).”

“I suggest you ignore me as I have ignored you for the most part for quite a while now. Life is short, and no sense in wasting anymore time. Have a nice life and I hope you get everything that you deserve.........”

You're one of a kind nut. I'd tell you to keep it up, but somehow, I know you will... :lol:

Hilarious, Vince!
Absolutely nailed it.
Well done!

Partial
08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I just want to say this:

How do you even know TT is going to sign Williams? Jolly is coming along nicely, Pickett still has three years on our team, and we just spent a lst round pick on a DT. Not much room for Williams to get a big deal. And as I understand 2009 we tons of free agents, so are we supposed to wait until after then to go out and get free agents and be aggressive? By then we will have to develop even more players becasue Driver, Favre and others will be gone. As I said TT knows how to get the talented players in the draft, but I question if he will make a move and take a shot while we have the money.

He probably won't unless its a really bad position for us and a really good free agent who wants to play in GB.

Ideally, if TT sticks with his plan of building a team through the draft and landing quality players, he won't have to look to FA too much. It's unlikely to happen that easily, but we shall see.

What is nice is TT stockpiles his picks in hoping to find the next Favre or DD. That kind of player would enver make it to free agency.

superfan
08-29-2007, 01:11 AM
I'd say I'm about 65-35 in favor of TT.

The optimistic side of me sees what he is doing (continually stockpiling young talent, encouraging competition, keeping us in very good position for FA's) and sees that if this young talent ever emerges we will have a long legitimate SB window.

The pessimistic side of me believes that if certain things happen (young players fail to develop, TT shies away from spending cash, our current playmakers age and others fail to replace them), not only will we be bad but we will also have been bad for a very long time.

Overall, I'm fine with taking the slower approach but I really wish TT had addressed the TE and RB situations this offseason.

Excellent post, Bossman, this pretty much sums up my attitude about Thompson.

:bclap:

Although I think my percentage is down to 60/40 thanks to the lack of FA activity this offseason. I'm strongly against the big spending, win now approach as it tends to lead to big busts (Washington Redskins over the last 5 years) and big crashes (Niners in the 90s). But you have to make some moves to improve your team, and they can be done without mortgaging the future.

I think the biggest mistake was not making a stronger push for TE Randy McMichael. I don't remember exactly what St. Louis paid for him, but I think it was a relative bargain. We should have been able to get him at a fair price, and if McMichael was on this team, the offense would look a lot better.

Not signing Green makes financial success, painful as it is, and I have the same reservations about the other RBs others have mentioned. If Harrell turns out to be a bust and Brandon Jackson struggles, not pulling the trigger on Michael Turner will look like a very bad move.

cheesner
08-29-2007, 09:49 AM
TT should have built a SB contender by this time next year if Favre sticks around...if #4 retires then add one for Rogers to get comfy. If we are not contenders at that time then TT has failed in his duties and his performance will need to be reviewed by the board. His contract is how long?And that is the problem. When Brett only gives notice after the draft the first 2 years of TTs tenure, you expect him to plan to build a SB contender for him?

As far as TT bashers go, you bitched and moaned that TT didn't sign Rivera and Wahle when he got here. Well guess what. Had TT done that we would be over the cap right now and there would be no discussion about signing FAs.

Extend TT's contract now!

cpk1994
08-29-2007, 11:10 AM

Pretty convenient.

That is what is tough; I don't know how I can win or lose with my view. I think we're OK; TT is doing an OK job. He's a good drafter.

But I want it faster. So I can't really win or lose.

I've said mutiple times last year was the year to throw the loot at the free agents as there was a lot of talent out there. We came back with Pickett and an extrememly frontloaded deal for Woodsen designed to use up our short term cap space and miximize future flexibility.

Would I have did more then Snapper did this year in Free agency ? Heck yes, but at the same time that's because I'm a now guy and TT is more of a later guy.

I don't care for TT's lack of urgency; so until we wins it all I may never care for him.

But if TT wins a Super Bowl he'll get my full faith and I will be wrong in how he's developing this team his way.

I will agree with one thing; the National Press definitely agrees that TT should have did more on offense. From Steve Young to Troy Aikman to Mort to Phil Simms. They would all be considered haters in here.

But they are also win now minds. Time will tell.I noticed to "national Media" you cite are Phil Simms, Troy Aikman and Steve Young. With the exception of Mort, what do they have all in common? THey are all former QB's. They are only interested in seeing Favre going out a SB winner. They don't give a shit about Packers. They don't care if the Packers salary cap goes to hell after Brett leaves. All they care about is Favre. They are not TT haters, They are unapologetic Favre ass kissers. BTW, if Young had actually quit his crying long enough, he would actually have heard the argument in favor of TT's plan during the Draft show. But he didn't becuase all he was concerned with was Favre.

Freak Out
08-29-2007, 11:22 AM
TT should have built a SB contender by this time next year if Favre sticks around...if #4 retires then add one for Rogers to get comfy. If we are not contenders at that time then TT has failed in his duties and his performance will need to be reviewed by the board. His contract is how long?And that is the problem. When Brett only gives notice after the draft the first 2 years of TTs tenure, you expect him to plan to build a SB contender for him?

As far as TT bashers go, you bitched and moaned that TT didn't sign Rivera and Wahle when he got here. Well guess what. Had TT done that we would be over the cap right now and there would be no discussion about signing FAs.

TT drafted Rogers with his first ever pick..He covered his ass QB wise right off the bat! It has nothing to do with the QB now...it is every other position. His job is to build a SB team with whatever QB he has. As far as Wahle and Rivera goes everyone knew he was not going to sign both but he damn sure could have got Wahle to stay and not screwed the pooch.

PackerBlues
08-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Ideally, if TT sticks with his plan of building a team through the draft and landing quality players, he won't have to look to FA too much. It's unlikely to happen that easily, but we shall see.

What is nice is TT stockpiles his picks in hoping to find the next Favre or DD. That kind of player would enver make it to free agency.

Another "lets have faith in TT" post from Partial. :roll:

Far be it from me to point this out to a blind Thompson supporter, but what is going to happen if GB starts winning games in spite of Thompsons inability to negotiate a big contract or ability to find veteran talent? Teds starting position in the draft will be further up, and I simply have not seen much from Thompsons drafts to start with, let alone if the team moves into the last 10 picks of any given round of the draft. It was easy to trade picks when we had the 5th pick, how easy will it be to trade when we sit at 20th?

Lets all praise Thompson for stockpiling his draft picks as if we have anything to show for it. :worship: In 3 years Thompson has still not been able to replace the talent of Javon Walker. Look how long it took to rebuild the O-line after he tore that apart.......and I still dont see any holes or lanes for a RB to get through.

That would be suggesting that we have a running back. Ahman Green had it all, size, power, speed. The nice thing about Green, was that he was so damned physical, he didnt take a hit, he delivered it. He was not the type of running back to go down on first contact. These pussies that Thompson picked up with his "stockpiled" draft picks look like they would fall over from a light breeze. :evil:

:laugh: What has all of the stockpiling done for our TE position?

Face it, the only thing that Thompsons stock-piling proves, is that even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while. Guys like you praise Thompson as if his devotion to the draft and stockpiling has actually accomplished something. So, after 3 stockpiled drafts from Thompson, the Packers are perhaps, maybe, a better than average team. This would be a nice time to see some veteran free agents to help the team become better than that. But if history has proven anything in Thompsons time with the Packers, its that Thompson's ability to find free agent talent is about as lame as his ability to find talent in the draft. Until Teddy is either willing to, or learns how to negotiate a contract with a big name free agent, this team will continue to be nothing more than slightly better than average. In which case, TT can stockpile his draft picks all he wants, because as slowly as he is building this team, not only do we have to worry about losing older players to retirement, but by the time some of these young guys do finally produce, they are going to be bitching about the money that they deserve, and then what? Are we going to say that they are not worth the money and let them go.......just to end up right back where we started?

Carolina_Packer
08-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Packnut, I bash TT sometimes and I praise him sometimes but all I want right now is a full view of your damn avatar! Give it up man!

Freak Out, here you are my man!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/2006_swimsuit/

but wait, that's not all...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/swimsuit/collection/

Now how much would you pay?

woodbuck27
08-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok, so if we had given Favre weapons guess what? Our defense would not be as strong as it is. Get over it already.

Just what exacxtly did TT do to add to our 'D' in terms of upgrades in this off season?

Evan??

Take the draft away and the extentions. On that TT had to spend some money. With all the cash he had he was forced to spend to the CAP minumum so he extended key members of our 'D', and OK there, but they were no brainer moves.

He was merely keeping the cupboard stocked to a minimum.The trouble was and is. That we needed fresh meat, poultry and fish.

It had to be obvious to all here. Because this forum is well aware of Packer needs that we had very certain needs on our offense (RB,FB,TE).

We had a certain need at safety as well. We have aging CB's.

TT entirely ignored those needs fr. a standpoint of bringing in experience, and 'in fact' allowed our 'O' to remain weakened and certainly arguably further weakened.

TT's performance.It was just plain stupid the approach he took this off season. He failed us as Packer fans. He tossed 2007 into a trash barrel.

Bank on it !!! Well a poor term of expression there. :)

Why is there evan one member of this forum, a board that is well up on all things Packer, that will not admit that TT screwed up is a tad baffeling to me?

And I do know this as well. Yes as people we are entitled to see things differently and thus be different, but HOLY COW !!

I can easily accept it all with this given.

With the given that, whatever reason accounts for that screw-up in this off season, remains to be debated?

No more DAM TT excuses for a lousy Packer record. He's three season's into his five year contract and we need results that demonstrate that he has even a quilly clue. I'm to date not seeing it nor, the results of effort to even get there in 2007.

and in terms of:

That.

A resolution and different direction adopted here to enable Packer success, in the sense of some workable model.

Uhhhh Packer fans !?? :)

Carolina_Packer
08-29-2007, 12:05 PM

Brandon, if you are still following this thread, I was hoping you could elaborate on what you meant by this. I'm not sure what you were getting at. Why does one unit have to prosper and the other one suffer for the other one's prosperity? Why can't we achieve balance?

MJZiggy
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
:x :soap: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat:

I don't even care any more. I'm so sick of the same fight over and over. Can't we talk about how our team's gonna match up against Philly or something for gods sakes? :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

woodbuck27
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM

I don't even care any more. I'm so sick of the same fight over and over. Can't we talk about how our team's gonna match up against Philly or something for gods sakes? :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

Just 'the Boys' in the school yard or the corner store stuff MJ. :)

Cheesehead Craig
08-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Amen brother. It's friggin' getting a bit too much like JSO around here. The same fights with the same arguments by the same people. Everyone going overboard. It's just old.

Carolina_Packer
08-29-2007, 12:27 PM
MJ Ziggy, who is that in your avatar?

Partial
08-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Yes, for the love of god yes. I will make a thread now!

Partial
08-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Kinda funny how Packnut just pulled a 180 between two threads that are at the top of the board. Anyway, i'm off to discuss the eagles and the roster and the titans and not TT.

Partial
08-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Yes, for the love of god yes. I will make a thread now!

It's up

MJZiggy
08-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Thank you Partial...did you include that there is to be NO discussion whatsoever about TT and his construction of the current team?

Carolina, my avatar is a picture of Henry Garza of the band Los Lonely Boys. Henry...*SIGH*

woodbuck27
08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Thank you Partial...did you include that there is to be NO discussion whatsoever about TT and his construction of the current team?

Carolina, my avatar is a picture of Henry Garza of the band Los Lonely Boys. Henry...*SIGH*

The KLAN?

MJZiggy
08-29-2007, 04:28 PM
No, Woodbuck, if you look carefully you'll see that Henry just doesn't have the right skin tone to fit in with that particular group...

packers04
08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
slow rebuilding being done by Ted and Company???

Actually i have not only been impressed with the rebuilding of the last 3 years, i've been AMAZED. Ted has completely revamped and improved our roster over 3 years ago. he's done a fabulous job. look at the redskins over the last 3 years.... umm.... yeah, they sure have improved havent they... lol.

and by the way, i thank the lord every night we went 4-12 in 2005...
why you ask? Hawk, Jennings, Colledge, Spitz, Jolly, Blackmon, Hodge... enuf said. You guys have to realize, somethings happen for a reason.

ZachMN
08-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Quote:

A good TE would be very nice to have, but at least for now, it looks like Bubba has stopped eating buttered popcorn and washing his hands with baby oil on the sidelines.

This is why I love this message board; it has people who can verbalize exactly what I am unable to!!!!! Classic

cpk1994
08-30-2007, 11:11 AM
slow rebuilding being done by Ted and Company???

Actually i have not only been impressed with the rebuilding of the last 3 years, i've been AMAZED. Ted has completely revamped and improved our roster over 3 years ago. he's done a fabulous job. look at the redskins over the last 3 years.... umm.... yeah, they sure have improved havent they... lol.

and by the way, i thank the lord every night we went 4-12 in 2005...
why you ask? Hawk, Jennings, Colledge, Spitz, Jolly, Blackmon, Hodge... enuf said. You guys have to realize, somethings happen for a reason.ALso, look at the Vikings and all the money they spent. Spent $100 million on the left side of the OL, paid $2 million for a kicker. $20 million on the defense. THe vikings must really be enjoying their SB title. Oh wait, they ended up with a worse record the packers last year. ACcording to some here, you have to throw money a FA to be a winer. Looks like the Vikes shot that theory to hell.

woodbuck27
08-30-2007, 01:05 PM

1st - QB (Rodgers) - point taken this doesn't help Favre
2nd - WR (Murphy)
5th - C (Coston)
6th - WR (Bragg)
7th - OG (Whitticker)

2nd - OG (Colledge)
2nd - WR (Jennings)
3rd - OG (Spitz)
4th - WR (Cory Rodgers)
5th - QB (Martin)
5th - OT (Moll)

2nd - RB (Jackson)
3rd - WR (Jones)
4th - OT (Barbe)
5th - WR (Clowney)
7th - RB (Wynn)
7th - TE (Harris)

Seems like a reasonable investment in the offense. I'm not trying to defend TT from having made mistakes as he's obviously done his fair share by not addressing the guard position in 2005 and possibly TE play this year but I don't think he's the failure some point him to be.

Negative is fine as long as it's based in facts and invites thought and debate. Bashing is best left for the JSO. I'd guess the reason the blind kool-aid drinking posters don't get quite the same level of flak is that as Packer fans we all want the team to succeed and it's a lot easier to digest and get less uptight when somebody is incredibly optimistic versus constantly finding things to harp on.

I will respecfully contend with your post . . . Re: TT serving our team and offense (Favre and CO.) in our drafts sine he was brought in to be the Packer GM.

1st - QB (Rodgers) - The obvious point here on the Aaron Rodgers pick. Is this doesn't help Favre at all. Favre's heir apparent was selected by TT on this day because he thought that Favre was on his way out. HaHa !!! Favre will have to get seriously hurt before he'll retire.Rodgers may leave Green Bay as a FA before Favre retires after the 2010 season. Favre loves to play football as much as anyone in the NFL. :)

As many or more Packer fans hated this pick of Rodgers than hate the Justin Harrell pick.

Favre deserved far more support that TT has afforded him. It's way too clear why that hasn't been a reality. Sadly too many here can't face the TRUTH.That arguably the best Packer of all time has been (since TT) and still is getting screwed in the support Dept.

As a Packere fan I feel such shame for this fact. My shame far surpass's any pride.

We loved this young WR after we had a look at him He had excellent potential to be a leader as a WR and on the team. A tough loss in TT's 2nd round pick for the future of our 'O'. (Terrence Murphy) - Lost to injury.

5th - C (Coston) - May develop with all that athletic potential.I liked this pick.Some Packer fans don't have any love for his wife.She's LOUD!! :)

6th - WR (Bragg)- CUT

7th - OG (Whitticker)- CUT and last I checked developing with another NFL team. Uhhhh ??

2nd - OG (Colledge) - **

2nd - WR (Jennings)- How good has Jennings looked in TC Packerrats? and Is his attitude still peaked given the fact he may be passed in the depth chart by J. Jones? Where's his head?

3rd - OG (Spitz) - **

4th - WR (Cory Rodgers) - Playing in the CFL last I heard.

5th - QB (Martin) - He's history and again absolutely no help to Favre !! Was TT having second thoughts on Aaron Rodgers or just taking fr. our offensive potential . . .again.

5th - OT (Moll) - **

2nd - RB (Jackson) - Showing us nothing. . . except a lot of potential with his lack of skills to block at the NFL level that may go a long way to getting Favre seriously injured. mmmmm????

3rd - WR (Jones) - May be our #2WR if DD gets back OK. This pick is looking good to date for our future. He's a ROOKIE and not even Calvin Johnson another ROOKIE will burn up the NFL in 2007.

4th - OT (Barbe) - **

5th - WR (Clowney) - Taxi Squad at best and what did he even do in College that drew TT to him??

7th - RB (Wynn) - This fella has a golden opportunity tonight Vs. the Titans to light it up. The thing is (again) he will be at best a Packer Rookie. That isn't what we or Favre needed in the backfield for 2007 after we lost our premier RB, Ahman Green.

7th - TE (Harris) - Gone !! Ohhh. . he was pick at TE - in a need position. . . but a 7th rounder. Uhhh ?

** How have these OL looked in the pre season games to date Packerrats? Before we invest a lot of $ in any RB the middle of our OL has to do the job.That's not happening for the Packer offense with Favre behind center.Good thing that Favre did his part to get his ankle repaired because again he'll have to run for his and our packer fan lives. Another season to begin and again the OL looks bad to date.

The offense will only be as good as that OL develops.

How comfortable will LT Chad Clifton and RT Tauscher be with the ZBS in 2007?

RT MarkTauscher wasn't the same or as effective at RT in 2006. LT Chad Clifton appears to have been fullly ready at the beginning of TC but he's not going to last much longer and Colledge has to be ready to move to LT or TT and MM will have to seek another answer.

Let's hope that CB Will Blackmon is an answer as a 3-5 CB and can return kicks. Is it posssible that TT and MM will cut our only FA acquisition, CB Frank Walker? That can't be. . can it ?!!

Why didn't TT select at CB in the draft if he really felt he needed to go 'D' to help our offense? Especially given the age of Charles Woodson and Al Harris and with so many question marks with our young and not developing CB's as of 2006? Like best CB available in round one, instead of a redundant to us pick at DT.

Badgepack
08-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Here is my deal, I think too many fans have been spoiled by all the success the Packers have had in the 90's and early 00's. Having faithfully watched the Packers in the 70's and 80's I think that I have the rational that whoever suits up in the Green and Gold I will root for each week, not bitch and moan that so-and-so is not on my team. Whoever is on the field playing for the Packers is my favorite player. If we win the game, great, I'm a happy camper, if we lose, we'll get em next week.

woodbuck27
08-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Here is my deal, I think too many fans have been spoiled by all the success the Packers have had in the 90's and early 00's. Having faithfully watched the Packers in the 70's and 80's I think that I have the rational that whoever suits up in the Green and Gold I will root for each week, not bitch and moan that so-and-so is not on my team. Whoever is on the field playing for the Packers is my favorite player. If we win the game, great, I'm a happy camper, if we lose, we'll get em next week.

That's all I have also in 2007.

I HOPED FOR MORE LAST JAN. :)

MJZiggy
08-30-2007, 03:16 PM

You're just trying to be my new favorite poster. I must say, it seems to be working in your favor... :hrt: :glug:

Bretsky
08-30-2007, 05:18 PM

There is not a basher in here who thought we could sign Rivera "AND" Wahle

Anyways, why should we discuss FREE AGENTS ??

Oh, that's right. Frankie Walker.

Bretsky
08-30-2007, 05:21 PM
No, Woodbuck, if you look carefully you'll see that Henry just doesn't have the right skin tone to fit in with that particular group...

He's some ugly hippy lookin kind of dude; of course I'm very ugly too. But I'd never put my ugly mug shot in an avatar :lol: