PDA

View Full Version : fried pork

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 08:43 PM
BARABOO, Wis. (AP) -- About 1,700 pigs believed to have been electrocuted at a Sauk City farm have been taken to a rendering plant.

Tammy Vaassen is director of operations for the Wisconsin Pork Association, and she says operators of the Maize-N-Bacon jack Wyttenbach Family Farm took the dead pigs in for rendering Friday night and Saturday morning.

The state Department of Natural Resources had reported that the agency was contacted Friday for advice on how to dispose of the pigs.

DNR spokesman Greg Matthews says he doesn't know how the pigs were electrocuted, but the agency's concern was proper disposal of the carcasses.

He says the DNR favored the option of taking them in for rendering, a process that converts the carcasses into materials that can be used in various products.

Vaassen says the deaths of the pigs are a significant loss for a family farm.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 08:44 PM
How the frick can you electrocute 1700 pigs and not know how it happened?

Scott Campbell
08-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Does Vick have an alibi?

Kiwon
08-28-2007, 10:49 PM
There's a place called "Baraboo?"

MadtownPacker
08-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Oh, I thought this thread was gonna be about carnitas.

Must have been a lightening storm or something.

GrnBay007
08-28-2007, 11:12 PM

Yummy! Don't suppose you have a recipe? :D

MJZiggy
08-28-2007, 11:30 PM

Yummy! Don't suppose you have a recipe? :D

Please let it include grape tomatoes...

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Must have been a lightening storm or something.

Maybe. Nah. How would current from a lightning strike pass through 1700 piggies? Even if the poor rascals were standing in water, the current wouldn't flow over a huge area.

I suspect foul play, mass murder. I'm not gonna sleep a wink tonight.

So far, SC's theory makes the most sense.

Joemailman
08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Maybe the farmer got his pig feed from China.

BallHawk
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
I smell foul play....with a hint of bacon.

oregonpackfan
08-29-2007, 02:27 PM

Yep! Baraboo's claim to fame is that it is the original home site of the Barnum & Bailey Circus! :)

Last time I checked, Baraboo's present claim to fame is it is the home to scientists working to keep some type of crane from going extinct.(It may be Sandhill Crane or the Whooping Crane, I am not sure)

Is there a bird expert in the house? :?:

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2007, 05:00 PM
International Crane Foundation is in Baraboo. All kinds of cranes, they don't discriminate.

OK, here's an update from AP, I know everyone is waiting on edge of chair:

There has been discussion among officials at the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection that a power outage may have led to a buildup of methane within the facility, which could have caused the pigs to die of asphyxiation, rather than electrocution, according to Robin Schmidt, agency liaison for food and agriculture security with DATCP.

This explanation makes more sense. Madtown's opinion is understandable, though, if a household of Mexicans are struck by lightning, casualties of 1700 are not unusual.

I apologize for this Reggie White moment.

Badgepack
08-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo, lots of nice bluffs.

My grandparents used to live in Baraboo, my kids loved Circus World when they were little.

oregonpackfan
08-29-2007, 09:20 PM

My grandparents used to live in Baraboo, my kids loved Circus World when they were little.

I camped once at Devil's Lake State Park. The bluffs are nice but they occasionally house a few rattlesnakes.

packinpatland
08-30-2007, 07:28 AM

I camped once at Devil's Lake State Park. The bluffs are nice but they occasionally house a few rattlesnakes.

They have rattlesnakes in Wisconsin? :shock:

Partial
08-30-2007, 07:38 AM

They have rattlesnakes in Wisconsin? :shock:

They do. They probably do in NE, too.

Little Whiskey
08-31-2007, 10:28 PM

baraboo and kalamazoo....two of the greatest city names....i think the founding fathers were out drinking one night and this was the last thing out of there mouths as they passed out.

Merlin
08-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Rattlesnakes have been found up in my neck of the woods a time or two. Although I can't say if someone had them for pets and let them go or what. I do know they have caught some over the years.

Devil's Lake State Park is awesome. If you camp there, there is a lot of wildlife that WILL try and get into your food if you aren't careful!

Baraboo is a neat little city with a lot of cool stuff, most mentioned already but to see it is something else.

And pigs were killed because of methane gas? Where is Al Gore! We need to get some green-credits from those pigs because as you know, they caused global warming!