PDA

View Full Version : Vikings facing first TV blackout in 10 years...

GBRulz
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Vikings can't even sell Packers tickets

Press-Gazette

Want to see the Green Bay Packers play the Minnesota Vikings in Minneapolis on Sept. 30? The Vikings have thousands of tickets available, and would love to sell them.

Facing a television blackout for the first time in 10 years, the Vikings are starting a big push to sell 5,800 tickets to their Sept. 9 home opener against the Atlanta Falcons, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

NFL rules require teams to sell out home games within 72 hours of kickoff to allow the games to be televised locally. The Vikings must sell 62,000 tickets, but they’ve sold only 56,200 for the Falcons game.

The Vikings earlier tried to pump up sales for the Falcons game by requiring anyone who wanted tickets to the Sept. 30 game against the Packers to buy the same number of tickets for the opener.

That didn’t work as well as hoped.

Thousands of tickets remain for both games, as well as all six other Vikings home games.

Zool
08-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Vikings can't even sell Packers tickets

Press-Gazette

Want to see the Green Bay Packers play the Minnesota Vikings in Minneapolis on Sept. 30? The Vikings have thousands of tickets available, and would love to sell them.

Facing a television blackout for the first time in 10 years, the Vikings are starting a big push to sell 5,800 tickets to their Sept. 9 home opener against the Atlanta Falcons, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

NFL rules require teams to sell out home games within 72 hours of kickoff to allow the games to be televised locally. The Vikings must sell 62,000 tickets, but they’ve sold only 56,200 for the Falcons game.

The Vikings earlier tried to pump up sales for the Falcons game by requiring anyone who wanted tickets to the Sept. 30 game against the Packers to buy the same number of tickets for the opener.

That didn’t work as well as hoped.

Thousands of tickets remain for both games, as well as all six other Vikings home games.

They did this shit last year, and I ended up with tickets to Carolina and GB. I'm not doing it this year. As much fun as it was to see Driver streak straight towards me on the long TD run, I had a hell of a time selling the Panthers tickets.

Cheesehead Craig
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Loooooooossssseeeerrrrrrrrrrrsssssss!

I gotta go jump on the local Vikes board and give them some sh*t about this.

Partial
08-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Wow, thats kind of sad. Do other teams not sell out home games? I would think that every team would just about every week.

Rastak
08-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Wow, thats kind of sad. Do other teams not sell out home games? I would think that every team would just about every week.

It happens more than I would expect. I know Jacksonville had a hard time selling tickets and actually blocked off seats.

Either way, I've got tickets to all 10 games either way.

Partial
08-29-2007, 03:08 PM

It happens more than I would expect. I know Jacksonville had a hard time selling tickets and actually blocked off seats.

Either way, I've got tickets to all 10 games either way.

That's interesting. I just assumed because football is so big around here that its huge everywhere. My Jags are a good team!! People should want to go see them!!

MJZiggy
08-29-2007, 03:13 PM
GB is special, Partial. Only there can they sell out Family Night. If you pay attention when watching the preseason games, you'll notice empty seats. I was watching the Colts game the other night and couldn't believe that the Super Bowl champion team only had about a third of the stadium (if that) full by the time the 3rd quarter rolled around.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
:laugh: Vikings

cheesner
08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Vegas gets both Raider and Cardinal games. Every other commercial is to buy tickets. The announcers are constantly pushing the fans to get tix quick because it looks like a great year.

I used to live in Appleton. I don't think I have ever seen an ad to buy Packer Tix.

]{ilr]3
08-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I wonder, since the local Fox station in my area (NW Iowa) always broadcasts Vikings games if it will be blacked out as well and instead I will get to see a Packers game instead! 8-)

Rastak
08-29-2007, 07:58 PM
{ilr]3]I wonder, since the local Fox station in my area (NW Iowa) always broadcasts Vikings games if it will be blacked out as well and instead I will get to see a Packers game instead! 8-)

If Iowa is within 50 miles of the twin cities then yes.

:wink:

Lurker64
08-29-2007, 08:01 PM
{ilr]3]I wonder, since the local Fox station in my area (NW Iowa) always broadcasts Vikings games if it will be blacked out as well and instead I will get to see a Packers game instead! 8-)

I seem to recall the billboards said it was 110 smiles to Iowa, what's that in kilometers?

Rastak
08-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Actually I guess the rule is 75 miles.....

Bretsky
08-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Maybe we should have had our PR trip to da Metrodome ; ez to get tix :lol:

MadtownPacker
08-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Maybe we should have had our PR trip to da Metrodome ; ez to get tix :lol:I was about to say the same thing!! :lol:

Bretsky
08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe we should have had our PR trip to da Metrodome ; ez to get tix :lol:I was about to say the same thing!! :lol:

Brilliant minds think alike ?

]{ilr]3
08-29-2007, 08:43 PM

I seem to recall the billboards said it was 110 smiles to Iowa, what's that in kilometers?

LOL 8-)

The Station is Mankato, where the Vikes hold training camp. I belive that is less than 75 miles from the Cities. I am about 165 miles from the cities.

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Most Vikings fans are fair weather, and lets face it, the stadium sucks.

Rastak
08-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Most Vikings fans are fair weather, and lets face it, the stadium sucks.

Yea, many are. Those aren't hard core, there's lots of stuff to do in Minneapolis and when a team's offense is less interesting than watching paint dry the year before I'm not totally surprised. I'm not happy about it, but not surprised. I envy the fan base Green Bay has, they have one single focus in life it would seem, which is great for the team.

Hey, I plunked down my thousand bucks to watch Chilly's "kick ass offense".

I will also say one other thing. When Zygi bought the team and made the moves he did, expectations were sky high, and now people are extremely cynical that improvement will be made this year. Many are taking a wait and see attitude. Not a good thing for the team, but that's the impression I get.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I honestly don't blame the fans. This is a team that was prideful in the 70s--even though they lost 4 Super Bowls. They played outdoors. Their teams were tough. They were good. Just not good enough.

Since then, it's been a cruel existence. They moved into a crappy stadium. They've had some good teams who had all-time meltdowns (Dirty Birds, 41-0). They've had some strange off-the-field stuff. They've had owners who really wanted to move the team, but screamed "Purple Pride." All of this with Packer fans all around, in their midst, reminding them of what things should be like (Lambeau, championships, long tradition, no owner, etc.).

I have a lot of respect for Rastak. Not only is he still a fan. He's a cool one at that. He's probably the Vikings fan that I'd most want to watch a Packers game with. Or a Vikings game. Or a Packers-Vikings game.

CaliforniaCheez
08-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Anyone catch this on ProFootballTalk.com??

VIKES TO SAIL WEST?

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Vikings are "backing away" from an agreement to purchase four blocks near the Metrodome from the Star Tribune.

The team cited a "turbulent credit market" for the decision.

If a legally a binding agreement existed, the Star-Tribune could have legal rights to relief. The broader question, however, is whether the move is the first step toward an eventual move by the Vikings to Los Angeles. At least one industry source has suggested to us that it could be.

To the extent that the Vikings don't presently enjoy high revenues in their current home, a move to L.A. could change all of that, quickly. The fact that the Vikings are facing their first local blackout in ten years (including a string of 96 straight sellouts) doesn't make the situation any better. The challenges arising from the I-35 bridge tragedy complicate the situation further, because it will be even harder now to marshal public support for taxpayer dollars.

And let's be realistic here. Absent expansion, one -- or maybe two -- current franchises will move to Los Angeles, eventually. Though owner Zygi Wilf, who has no ties to Minnesota other than his football team, has said that relocating the team isn't an option, his desire to get a new stadium isn't leaving him with many options. Sooner or later, the potential for earning multiple millions of new money per year is going to operate like one of those big-ass magnets that the coyote purchased from Acme.

When the Vikings move to LA, Las Vegas or wherever, then Minneapolis will become part of the Packer television market. More viewers for the Packers and the Vikings. The Packers need more road revenue from games held in larger stadiums than the Metrodome.

MJZiggy
08-29-2007, 09:44 PM

Brilliant minds think alike ?

Brilliant? Or.... :taunt:

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2007, 09:46 PM
I envy the fan base Green Bay has, they have one single focus in life it would seem, which is great for the team.

That's what people around here would like people to believe. Milwaukee and Madison aren't that far away. I'm sure most Green Bay residents are Brewers, Bucks, and Badgers fans. Let's be honest. The Vikings are by far #1 team here. Few people care about Gophers football or basketball. They don't care about the Timberwolves. They do care about the Twins, but their season is almost over. It's not that people aren't passionate about the Vikings. They just can't take anymore--until the Vikings show them something. One thing I've noticed from Vikings fans more than most fans. When they win, they let you know about it. When they lose, they tend to act like they don't care.

BallHawk
08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
When they win, they let you know about it. When they lose, they tend to act like they don't care.

Sounds like Brewer fans.

digitaldean
08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Anyone catch this on ProFootballTalk.com??

VIKES TO SAIL WEST?

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Vikings are "backing away" from an agreement to purchase four blocks near the Metrodome from the Star Tribune.

The team cited a "turbulent credit market" for the decision.

If a legally a binding agreement existed, the Star-Tribune could have legal rights to relief. The broader question, however, is whether the move is the first step toward an eventual move by the Vikings to Los Angeles. At least one industry source has suggested to us that it could be.

There was talk when McCombs put the team up for sale that they would move west. They are not going to get that much public dollars. The Twins already are going to get their baseball only stadium.

The lure of moving to LA may force Wilf to pack up. Either they will go or the Saints eventually will move.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2007, 09:55 PM
When they win, they let you know about it. When they lose, they tend to act like they don't care.

Sounds like Brewer fans.

Yes, that's exactly what it's like. Again, how can you blame them? 25 years of some of the worst ownership, management, and baseball ever seen.

falco
08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks to poor ticket sales it looks like I'll be going to the game at minny now.

I'm bringing my camera to get conclusive proof that Rastak and Harvey are the same person.

Lurker64
08-29-2007, 10:15 PM

Sounds like Brewer fans.

Yes, that's exactly what it's like. Again, how can you blame them? 25 years of some of the worst ownership, management, and baseball ever seen.

I'd like the blame the Brewers for our baseball commissioner too, is that all right with you?

Scott Campbell
08-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I have a lot of respect for Rastak. Not only is he still a fan. He's a cool one at that. He's probably the Vikings fan that I'd most want to watch a Packers game with. Or a Vikings game. Or a Packers-Vikings game.

Agreed.

I guess any team including the Packers can find themselves with a crappy roster, a crappy coach or a crappy GM. And I'm not saying we have that now. But were spoiled in many ways. We don't worry about crappy ownership. We don't worry about the franchise moving. We don't worry about a lousy stadium. We don't worry about an apethetic fan base.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2007, 10:17 PM

Sounds like Brewer fans.

I'd like the blame the Brewers for our baseball commissioner too, is that all right with you?

I was a rabid fan, and gave up baseball cold turkey in 95 - for many of the reasons you cite above.

falco
08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
I was a rabid fan, and gave up baseball cold turkey in 95 - for many of the reasons you cite above.

Don't feel bad... the brewers gave it up way before you did.

BallHawk
08-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey, some love for the Crew. Sheets gives us 6 solid and we win and pull within one game.

Let's take this series tomorrow!