PDA

View Full Version : A new focus?

RashanGary
08-29-2007, 06:51 PM
This offseason, more than any I can remember, there has been a focus on special teams. If you listen to the after practice press conferences, you hear guys talking about the importance of special teams. It also looks like we might have found our answer to the returner problem that we've had since Sherman took over as GM.

Without a good special teams I think this team will struggle to get above 8-8. One thing that we havn't talked a lot about, but I think will be a big factor in our season is special teams. If off season focus has anything to do with in season success, this team just might be headed in the right direction. I think the depth, athleticism and tough natured football players that Thompson brings in will contribute as well.

RashanGary
08-29-2007, 06:54 PM
I think the defense and ST's will make the offense and Favre look better than they are and I think they are better than people give credit to begin with so a few suprises may be on the horizon, some of which will be distorted.

Bretsky
08-29-2007, 07:11 PM
I completely agree with you about the D and special teams

TT seemed to have an eye on specials with this last draft

I am worried that Favre will also get the blame by many if our OL breaks down and have a minimal rushing attack. MM is sometimes quick to go all out passing attack and that will put a huge part of the success on him

4and12to12and4
08-29-2007, 09:04 PM
There is no question that our ST has made leaps and bounds from the beginning of last year. The last four games of the season they were very good at tackling and not giving up big plays. In the final Bears game, they completely shut down Hester, which was an amazing feat, cuz this guy is off the charts as a returner, but we closed our gaps that were wide open the beginning of the year, and maybe we have finally figured some things out.

As far as returners, we still don't have a Hester, but neither do 31 other teams, but guys like Blackmon have shown a lot this preseason, and I can see us starting our field position between the 30 and 40 yard line consistently this year, rather than last year, when we almost always had to go 75 to 85 yards after every kickoff. We just gotta keep these guys healthy. And if Robinson does get reinstated, watch out, cuz this guy is a probowl returner. He is fast as hell and has great vision, I hope we get him back early in the season. He's also a deep threat, and will really help open up the offense.