PDA

View Full Version : Backup QBs

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2007, 06:56 PM
There's been a lot of talk about using Carlyle Holiday as the emergency QB if they don't have a strong prospect for the #3. Makes sense to me.

But if the coaches had any real possibility of going this route, wouldn't they let Holiday play a quarter in tomorrow's game? Sure, it might be a messy scene, but not nearly as messy if he had to do it in a real game.

If they don't give him some playing time tomorrow, I don't believe that Holiday at QB is in their thinking.

Bretsky
08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
There's been a lot of talk about using Carlyle Holiday as the emergency QB if they don't have a strong prospect for the #3. Makes sense to me.

But if the coaches had any real possibility of going this route, wouldn't they let Holiday play a quarter in tomorrow's game? Sure, it might be a messy scene, but not nearly as messy if he had to do it in a real game.

If they don't give him some playing time tomorrow, I don't believe that Holiday at QB is in their thinking.

More teams are going with 2QB's. Holiday doesn't practice much, if any at QB yet. He'd be only an extreme emergency, which probably warrants only a few snaps after they've made that decision if they do at all

oregonpackfan
08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I would rather see a bona fide #3 who has been taking reps and consistently passing in practice. I feel Holiday should be thrown in only when all 3 QB's are unavailable.

Thursday's game should prove interesting for Paul Thompson. He has not impressed me with his passing or decision-making. Apparently, he has been throwing a number of interceptions in practice.

RashanGary
08-29-2007, 07:16 PM
I like the idea of using another roster spot on a player that might develop. Muir, Birdine, Wynn. . . There are a few guys that could pan out that you would hate to cut. Thompson will likely clear waivers and we'll get to put him on the PS which is better than having him on the roster because it means we don't lose one of our good players to other teams.

Brohm
08-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Apparently the coaches gave Holliday some reps to day to see if he could still do it (WSSP). He said he still has the arm but not very accurate.

Bretsky
08-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Apparently the coaches gave Holliday some reps to day to see if he could still do it (WSSP). He said he still has the arm but not very accurate.

Interesting, and not good news for Thompson. I'd agree with JH that we keep a player who might become something over a #3 QB we won't win with anyways.

Carolina_Packer
08-29-2007, 07:56 PM
What would you think about giving Andrew Walter a shot if he gets cut by Oakland? He's big, I don't think he's particularly mobile, I don't know about his accuracy, but I know he was pretty prolific at AZ State. I don't know if he's gotten a fair shake in Oakland, which has always been a mess since he's been there.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2007, 08:00 PM

I saw that article, but it sounded like it just some work with the center after practice.

If they want to use Holiday as emergency QB, I REALLY think they should give him a bit of preseason game experience as a test.

McCarthy really should read this forum.

Bretsky
08-29-2007, 08:22 PM
What would you think about giving Andrew Walter a shot if he gets cut by Oakland? He's big, I don't think he's particularly mobile, I don't know about his accuracy, but I know he was pretty prolific at AZ State. I don't know if he's gotten a fair shake in Oakland, which has always been a mess since he's been there.

Walter looked OK coming out of college; I'd be fine with giving him a shot. He might be an upgrade on Thompson. I say Bring John Stocco back !!

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2007, 08:57 PM
I think the Packers have every intention going with two QBs and sticking Thompson on the Practice Squad.

Holliday will get his 10 reps or so per week to just stay comfortable behind center if he is needed if both Favre and Rodgers go down in the same game.

CaliforniaCheez
08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
The Packers can go with 2 QB's until Russell signs with the Raiders and they waive Andrew Walter. It might take a trade to move up ahead of the waiver list or pick up some one else out there.

Having Ingle on the practice squad gives time to move him up if needed.

With Favre, who needs a third stringer on the sidelines??

4and12to12and4
08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
We are making a HUGE mistake if we go into this season with only two QB's, and one of them 38 years old. We need to pick someone up before the beginning of the season. I'd be shocked if we didn't. I just don't know who's out there?

Holiday is a ridilulous answer, he's is looking like he will be a key kog in our offense and Favre has already shown his trust in him. He can be a major contributor as a WO and needs to stay put in that position. We need to uses our cap money and find someone. Anyone know who's out there available? I knew we should've gotten Quinn or Schaub. Justin Harrell better be a stud.

oregonpackfan
08-29-2007, 09:14 PM

I was always very impressed with Andrew Walter at Arizona State. He was a real challenge for the Ducks and Beavers because he easily picked apart their secondaries with pinpoint accuracy. I was glad to see him graduate from the Pac-10.

RashanGary
08-29-2007, 09:15 PM
I think the Packers have every intention going with two QBs and sticking Thompson on the Practice Squad.

Holliday will get his 10 reps or so per week to just stay comfortable behind center if he is needed if both Favre and Rodgers go down in the same game.

Good point because Thompson would still be the #3 QB after he cleared waivers and made the practice squad. We wouldn't have him for the game if Favre went down, but we'd have him the next game because he'd come off the practice squad. It's turning into a no brainer to me. We have some guys at 53, 54, 55 on our roster that will not clear waivers and are not worth giving up.

4and12to12and4
08-29-2007, 09:19 PM

Good point because Thompson would still be the #3 QB after he cleared waivers and made the practice squad. We wouldn't have him for the game if Favre went down, but we'd have him the next game because he'd come off the practice squad. It's turning into a no brainer to me. We have some guys at 53, 54, 55 on our roster that will not clear waivers and are not worth giving up.

I agree, that is probably how this is gonna play out. Thompson showed much more than Ingle in preseason, and could end up being a good QB in this league. It would behoove us to put him on the practice squad. The only downside is if both Brett and Rodgers go down in the same game, but that is highly unlikely. So, I think you're idea is good.

Guiness
08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
While I think Holiday is a viable option, there is a risk with giving him reps - he could damage his shoulder.

Anyone remember when Conseco went out to the mound for the Boston Red Sox because they had no one left in the bullpen? Tore his ACL, out for the season. He had been a highschool and minor league pitcher as well, so it's not like they just threw someone into the fire.

If they want to give him reps, he should just work on taking the handoff from center, and handing off to an RB. That's all.

Partial
08-29-2007, 10:48 PM

Walter looked OK coming out of college; I'd be fine with giving him a shot. He might be an upgrade on Thompson. I say Bring John Stocco back !!

Seconded!

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2007, 11:38 PM
While I think Holiday is a viable option, there is a risk with giving him reps - he could damage his shoulder .

this is a good point.

If they wanted to use Holiday at QB, even in emergency roll, he should have been throwing the ball all summer.

I don't think Holiday is in picture as a QB, we don't need to mention his name.

Bretsky
08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
While I think Holiday is a viable option, there is a risk with giving him reps - he could damage his shoulder .

this is a good point.

If they wanted to use Holiday at QB, even in emergency roll, he should have been throwing the ball all summer.

I don't think Holiday is in picture as a QB, we don't need to mention his name.

The #3 QB never plays in a game; when is the last time a 2nd string QB played in a Packer game ?

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2007, 12:05 AM
The #3 QB never plays in a game; when is the last time a 2nd string QB played in a Packer game ?

they have been known to play. It's pretty rare. Its still part of their job to be able to play.

I've known hundreds of lifeguards, and I don't believe any of them have ever had to save anybody. They still have to be able to swim.

Guiness
08-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Ba-dum ching!

LaFours
08-30-2007, 08:31 AM
If we get down to our 3rd string quarterback it doesn't matter if its someone who has played the position in college (i.e. Holiday) or our long snapper, we're in trouble.

We can flush this season down the toilet if we get to the 3rd string at QB.

KYPack
08-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Anyone remember when Conseco went out to the mound for the Boston Red Sox because they had no one left in the bullpen? Tore his ACL, out for the season. He had been a highschool and minor league pitcher as well, so it's not like they just threw someone into the fire.

I saw it, & I loved it.

Always hated that gashead.

There were always steroid rumors back in the day. Canseco was proof positive. He gained 30 pounds in an off-season, but his identical twin stayed the same. What more did you need to see?

Merlin
08-30-2007, 09:07 AM
The rules for QB's are wacked. I am not exactly sure what the exact rules are but I know that it isn't like any other position. If you play your 3rd stringer or something you can't bring back in your #1 or something weird like that. I think those strange rules ultimately make the decision on whether or not we keep a #3 or activate one on game day. We don't always go into a game with three active QB's anyway, most teams don't. If we were to get down to our #3 the game is probably lost anyway and Holiday can hand the ball off as can anyone else. The last time this happened, Craig Nall came in and played really well for us in a losing cause and I believe the time before that was TJ Rubley at the dome and he lost the game for us. If I remember right, we were in that game. It doesn't happen very often and one regular season game isn't going to make or break the season unless you are scrambling to get a playoff spot late in the season. If we come out sharp and not flat, I would say keep a #3, if we come out flat, then a #3 may be better spent on developmental player. By mid-season we should be able to make a better assessment at that. For now, I think they should just go with 2 and see how we start out the season. If Favre goes down, which is a possibility given his age, then Rodgers can hopefully stay healthy. I think Favre has earned enough respect in the league that most players aren't going to try and take his head off but simply drag him down. Accept for Chicago of course since he owns them.

cpk1994
08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
The rules for QB's are wacked. I am not exactly sure what the exact rules are but I know that it isn't like any other position. If you play your 3rd stringer or something you can't bring back in your #1 or something weird like that. I think those strange rules ultimately make the decision on whether or not we keep a #3 or activate one on game day. We don't always go into a game with three active QB's anyway, most teams don't. If we were to get down to our #3 the game is probably lost anyway and Holiday can hand the ball off as can anyone else. The last time this happened, Craig Nall came in and played really well for us in a losing cause and I believe the time before that was TJ Rubley at the dome and he lost the game for us. If I remember right, we were in that game. It doesn't happen very often and one regular season game isn't going to make or break the season unless you are scrambling to get a playoff spot late in the season. If we come out sharp and not flat, I would say keep a #3, if we come out flat, then a #3 may be better spent on developmental player. By mid-season we should be able to make a better assessment at that. For now, I think they should just go with 2 and see how we start out the season. If Favre goes down, which is a possibility given his age, then Rodgers can hopefully stay healthy. I think Favre has earned enough respect in the league that most players aren't going to try and take his head off but simply drag him down. Accept for Chicago of course since he owns them.THe rule is that if you your Qb is inactive on game day and you use him, the others can't come back in the game unless it is the 4q. If you activate the 3rd QB for the game, the rules don't apply.

Deputy Nutz
08-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Thats right, unfortunately some of us on this forum can't seem to understand the NFL rules on 3rd string QBs. the NFL allows teams to suit up a third string QB, but he doesn't count on the active game day roster unless he is used in the game. If that happens the 1st string Qb can not come back in the game.

If you carry three qbs on the roster, the third string QB does count on the season roster. Why not stash your third string qb on the practice squad whether it is Ingle Martin, or Paul Thompson?

I am not arguing to make Holliday into the third string QB, he would be considered and emergency option if Favre and Rodgers goes down in the same game. Sterling Sharpe was an emergency QB in the late 80s and early 90s

Its not rocket science people.

Merlin
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I knew it was something strange like that.

Merlin
08-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Speaking of backup QB's, I don't see anyone singing praises for Rodgers outstanding performance last night. Off the bandwagon already? I thought he did a better job of looking off his receivers then he has done up until this point. Other then that, he really stunk up the place.

Fritz
08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
What seems weird to me is that if a #1 or #2 guy goes down in a game, most NFL teams go sign some guy off the street for the following week and don't elevate the #3 guy. To my mind, what's the point of having a #3 guy? If Favre and Rodgers go down in the same game, the Pack's not going to score any points after the second injury anyway (ever see any third string emergency QB guide his team down the field?), so why not just make Holliday the #3 and pray a lot? Even if you keep Thompson or Martin or some other developmental guy, if Favre and Rodgers get hurt you're just going to go out after the game and sign Vinny Testaverde or Drew Bledsoe anyway, and they'll be starting the next week.

Partial
08-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Speaking of backup QB's, I don't see anyone singing praises for Rodgers outstanding performance last night. Off the bandwagon already? I thought he did a better job of looking off his receivers then he has done up until this point. Other then that, he really stunk up the place.

I would hope that the Titans starters would dominate Rodgers and the third stringers.

Brohm
08-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Travis Leffew > Titan's DL :roll:

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
I heard a funny line on Packer Radio yesterday. Somebody said Favre was by Favre the best QB in the NFC-North. Somebody else said, "and the second best might be Aaron Rodgers"

woodbuck27
08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
I heard a funny line on Packer Radio yesterday. Somebody said Favre was by Favre the best QB in the NFC-North. Somebody else said, "and the second best might be Aaron Rodgers"

Favre in Pre Season:

WK OPP RESULT
......................Comp... Att... Pct.... Yds.. Avg.. TD.. Int
4 @ TEN L 14-30.......... 8...... 10... 80.0.... 82... 8.2..... 1..... 0
3 JAC L 13-21.............14...... 20... 70.0... 130.. 6.5..... 0..... 0
2 SEA W 48-13....... .... 7...... 12.... 58.3.... 74... 6.2..... 1.... 0

Aaron Rodgers:

WK OPP RESULT
............................Comp... Att... Pct... Yds... Avg.... TD... Int
4 @ TEN L 14-30.. 3.... 7.... 42.9.... 35... 5.0...... 0...... 0
3 JAC L 13-21...... 6... 9..... 66.7.... 82... 9.1...... 0...... 0
2 SEA W 48-13.... 10.. 16... 62.5.... 97.... 6.1..... 2....... 0

Guiness
08-31-2007, 04:10 PM
What seems weird to me is that if a #1 or #2 guy goes down in a game, most NFL teams go sign some guy off the street for the following week and don't elevate the #3 guy. To my mind, what's the point of having a #3 guy? If Favre and Rodgers go down in the same game, the Pack's not going to score any points after the second injury anyway (ever see any third string emergency QB guide his team down the field?), so why not just make Holliday the #3 and pray a lot? Even if you keep Thompson or Martin or some other developmental guy, if Favre and Rodgers get hurt you're just going to go out after the game and sign Vinny Testaverde or Drew Bledsoe anyway, and they'll be starting the next week.

Not that long ago, and right here, IIRC. Favre was out of the game, Pederson came in and got injured immediately. Didn't Nall come in and score?

Guiness
08-31-2007, 04:13 PM
If you carry three qbs on the roster, the third string QB does count on the season roster. Why not stash your third string qb on the practice squad whether it is Ingle Martin, or Paul Thompson?

[snip]

You got me here. Are you saying the 3rd QB doesn't count to the 53 man limit? i.e. you can have 54 if one of them is a 3rd string QB? That's the way I'm reading the above...

Its not rocket science people.

Maybe not, but you got me! :?

Merlin
08-31-2007, 11:22 PM

I would hope that the Titans starters would dominate Rodgers and the third stringers.

3rd stringers? 2nd Stringers first of all and he didn't look all that good with the first team either. Martin and Thompson got the 3rd stringers most of the time they were on the field. I don't think Rodgers even knows there is a 3rd string in pre-season, he sure hasn't played behind one since he cdame to Green Bay.

Partial
08-31-2007, 11:34 PM

3rd stringers? 2nd Stringers first of all and he didn't look all that good with the first team either. Martin and Thompson got the 3rd stringers most of the time they were on the field. I don't think Rodgers even knows there is a 3rd string in pre-season, he sure hasn't played behind one since he cdame to Green Bay.

I didn't see the game down in FL so I was making an assumption. I honestly have no idea. All I know is no Packer starting opening week was in more than 3 series.

Merlin
08-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Well, I stated earlier that I was happy to see Rodgers finally look off his receivers but he didn't play very well at all. On one play he scrambled to his right and had Jones wide open on a hitch, Jones just sat there and sat there and sat there, finally Rodgers threw the ball. Some reported it as a good play but when the guy is that wide-open and you keep running east and west anyway, makes you wonder what he was thinking. Jones was in the whole time Rodgers was and I know the OL was 2nd string. We have no RB so that didn't matter and as for TE's, same situation. I don't know who the other WR's were. I know that when the pocket starts to colapse, more times then not Rodgers steps into it instead of getting the hell out.

One thing I noticed in the game was a hit on Favre WAY after he got rid of the ball. The guy came from his backside off of a block and had plenty of time not to hit him. He wasn't in position to hit him until both of Favre's arms were down at his side. Then he tackled him and NO FLAG. Needless to say, that was Favre's last series.