PDA

View Full Version : Question about Aaron Rouse

The_Dude
08-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Just wondering if the coaching staff or anybody gave a reason why he was backing up Collins and not shooting for the Strong Safety position. He would seem to be the perfect fit for that and I assumed that is what they drafted him for.

Anybody know??

Brohm
08-29-2007, 07:24 PM
My understanding is that the safeties in this defense are interchangeable. Maybe that's where he needs the most work (coverage)? :?: That's the way I'm reading it.

4and12to12and4
08-29-2007, 08:54 PM
There's no way their gonna start a rookie that is still learning the system over a guy that potentially could be much better this year, now that he's played with all his comrades a full year, and seemed to be much better in the latter part of last season. Bigby will come in on third downs, blitzing situations, and slowly work his way to possibly starting as long as Manuel is having a crappy year, and other guys like Dendy, etc. don't outplay him. It would be foolish to throw him into the fire as a starter, without having an excellent grasp of the playbook and the instincts to know where his fellow defenders are going to be. Plus, he has a long way to go to prove he can cover deep downfield without getting burned. He needs to play in nickel and dime situations, and slowly earn a starting postion. A couple of impressive sacks isn't enough to earn him that right.

I believe Manuel will surprise many here, he now has a season's experience in this defense, and can play more with his instincts. I expect he and Collins to be adequate to good. If not, I'm sure Dendy, Bush, Bigby, and others will slowly replace him as the season wears on. But for right now, our starting safeties will be Manuel and Collins, let's hope they continue where they left off at the end of the season last year. Philly will be a real test.

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Rouse most likely be the #1 backup at both safety positions. remember in this scheme the Packers can and will bring either safety into the box depending on the strong side of the formation.

4and12to12and4
08-29-2007, 09:07 PM
He's a nickel and dime contributer only at the beginnng of the season, unlesss he starts make big plays like interceptions or hard hits causing incompletions and fumbles. Otherwise, he's just a 3rd and long guy for right now.