PDA

View Full Version : Loyalty Test

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2007, 07:33 AM
I have a friend who moved from Chicago to Milwaukee and became a Packer fan. I thought that was a sensible idea.

I'm not suggesting in this question that you have to give up on being a Packer fan.

]{ilr]3
08-31-2007, 07:37 AM
I live quite a way from Green Bay right now and concider myself a die hard Packer fan. If i were to move to Say Arizona, I would certainly become a fan of the Cardinals, but the Packers would still be #1.

Fritz
08-31-2007, 07:48 AM
I've lived in Detroit, Houston, and Baltimore. I can develop an interest in the teams that play in those cities - the old Houston Oilers and Baltimore Colts, in my case - but I am ONLY a Packer fan.

KYPack
08-31-2007, 08:01 AM
I moved to the Cincy area years ago. The Pack was in the toilet at the time and you could get tickets for the Bengals. I became a Bengal fan (a tough thing to be, BTW), without abandoning my native team.

It's actually easy to be a fan of an AFC team and the Pack. There have been very few years that there is any potential for "conflict of interest".

I'm a Pack fan forever and would root for the G&G in a Bengal-Pack Super Bowl.

rpiotr01
08-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Nothing wrong with rooting for the local team... when they're not playing GB, of course.

I root for the Jets/ Giants when they're on.... though I think Jet fans are some of the worst in sports.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-31-2007, 08:57 AM
I hate the Ravens!

AtlPackFan
08-31-2007, 09:37 AM
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NOT!!!!!!

I moved to Atlanta in 1995. I will NEVER be a Falcons fan, I will NEVER be a Braves fan, I will NEVER be a Hawks fan, I will NEVER be a "Dawgs" or "YellowJackets" fan!!!

My house is in Lawrenceville, GA but my home is - and always will be - Wiscosnin!

Packers, Bucks, Brewers, Badgers forever!!!!!!

The Leaper
08-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I could never cheer for a professional football team other than the Packers...unless that team's win can have a positive impact on the fortune of the Packers, of course.

In terms of other sports, I'm not as passionate...so it really doesn't matter.

Freak Out
08-31-2007, 11:11 AM
I have a friend who moved from Chicago to Milwaukee and became a Packer fan. I thought that was a sensible idea.

I'm not suggesting in this question that you have to give up on being a Packer fan.

What about you Monsignor Huckleby?

Maxie the Taxi
08-31-2007, 11:11 AM
ONLY if the new city was Green Bay, Wisconsin.

hoosier
08-31-2007, 11:16 AM
After moving to Indiana, I definitely enjoy watching the Colts more than I ever did before. But I can't say I'm fan, there's no sinking feeling in my stomach when they blow a 4th quarter lead. The only exception, of course, is when they're playing a team like the Bears. The survey should be changed to account for transplants who become strategic fans--or is that just what happens to all of us when we watch the Bears or Vikings?

swede
08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
I'll always be a Packer fan first.

Sometimes, something about anothe team captures your attention and either excites a kind of positive interest or an active scorn.

For me, My admiration of Bill Cowher began when he stuffed an aerial-view snapshot of 11 men on the field into the shirt pocket of the official that had just penalized his team for having 12 men on the field. That co$t him.

There have never been any mixed feelings about Steelers vs. Packers, and I don't recall too many times we've beaten them. The only regret I've had is that, other than the period from '94 to '97, Green Bay has rarely played as physically tough as Pittsburgh teams regularly did under Cowher.

My active scorn of New England began on that snowy night when Oakland had just won the game by crushing Tom Brady on a corner blitz and making that punk-ass cough up the ball--only to have the play overturned by that stupid tuck rule. New England wins. I root for the Pats opponent on every down of every game of theirs I get a chance to see.

MadScientist
08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
I moved to Rockford in '80, and had to suffer through the B*ars '85 campaign. I still think of them in the same vain as something I stepped in.

I lived in Smog Dieugly (San Diego) during the 90's and didn't mind the Chargers, but didn't particularly follow them.

CaptainKickass
08-31-2007, 11:47 AM
I moved to Seattle 10 years ago.

When I was at Lambeau 2 yrs ago for the ChickenHawks/Packers game on new years eve, I met this girl.

A small football conversation takes place:

She says this: "You've been in Seattle for over 8 years and you still sport the Green and Gold?"

I reply: "Uhhh, yeah".

She proceeds to open her arms wide and says "Come to momma" and then engulfs me in this tremendous hug, and she says simply "that's the best" and we continue to have a good time etc etc.

Now to me....there was never any question about who I would or wouldn't root for. The thought of rooting for the "new" home team just never felt right or proper.

I am a Packer fan. I will always be a packer fan.

To me, it's kinda like being a Harley Davidson fanatic.

"If you understand, then no explanation is necessary,
If you don't understand, no explanation is possible"

What's more, is that I have had opportunities to travel around the country a bit here and there. I have had the opportunity to have to go and find the local "Packer Bar" in cities that are not even close to Wisconsin.

It's always the same. It always feels like I'm back home at the local dive watching the game with my bro's and relatives. There's my good friend Todd at the bar, cousin Mike over there, and there's uncle Dan....it doesn't matter that they are different people.

Packer fans are the best, they are what keeps me a Packer fan......for life.

:D

swede
08-31-2007, 11:51 AM
...What's more, is that I have had opportunities to travel around the country a bit here and there. I have had the opportunity to have to go and find the local "Packer Bar" in cities that are not even close to Wisconsin.

It's always the same. It always feels like I'm back home at the local dive watching the game with my bro's and relatives. There's my good friend Todd at the bar, cousin Mike over there, and there's uncle Dan....it doesn't matter that they are different people.

Packer fans are the best, they are what keeps me a Packer fan......for life.

:D

A worthy testimony, brother. Amen!

Partial
08-31-2007, 11:53 AM
I have no problem supporting and enjoying another team. However, they will never replace my primary Wisconsin teams.

For example, Packers are #1 in football for me. Jacksonville has been #2 for awhile. Philly has been #3. I will watch any game for any one of these teams that I can. If they play eachother, their pecking order determines who I root for.

oregonpackfan
08-31-2007, 02:03 PM
I know at least a dozen ex-Wisconsinites out here in the Portland Metro area. All of them remain loyal Packer fans.

I have never heard an ex-Wisconsite out here who said something to the effect, "When I lived in Wisconsin, I used to be a Packer fan. Now that I live in Oregon, I am a Seahawk/Raider/49'er/Bronco fan."

That switch in Packer loyalty just does not happen.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2007, 02:37 PM
What about you Monsignor Huckleby?

I thought you'd never ask! For sure I would become a fan of the team in the new city. Any team. Why not? You learn about the team from local news. People talk about them, you read the paper, catch talk radio ocassionally. Why would anybody cut themselves off from the local scene?

But I'd still follow the packers as my favorite team. Even if it meant sucking up to Madtown so he doesn't ban me from his forum.

80% of people are insisting they would not dirty themselves following the local talent. Baloney!!! I bet 80% would ween-over some of their loyalty to their new hometown.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2007, 02:41 PM
I have never heard an ex-Wisconsite out here who said something to the effect, "When I lived in Wisconsin, I used to be a Packer fan. Now that I live in Oregon, I am a Seahawk/Raider/49'er/Bronco fan

Ya, but that's because loyalty is divided over several teams in your area. Especially with all the California people fleeing.

I think if you went to a city with strong team loyalty - Cleveland, Atlanta, whatever, people would get interested in the local team over time.

And again, I'm not saying people would abandon the Packers.

Partial
08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
No sense in not following the local team. At the very least, its a way to meet people and form relationships in your new location.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
No sense in not following the local team. At the very least, its a way to meet people and form relationships.

beats tapping your feet in restrooms.

Cheesehead Craig
08-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Always will be a WI sports fan first and foremost. But as for rooting for the local teams, if there's no conflict with my WI teams, that's fine.

I can root for the Twins as there is no conflict with them and the Brewers, except for the 6 games they play, then it's root for the Crew.

T'Wolves - well they suck so no sense rooting for them.

Wild - Hockey up here is big, so you gotta follow it.

Vikings - Not a chance in hell.

woodbuck27
08-31-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm coming up on my 50th Anniversary as a Packer fan.

Now.

Another off season with the same performance of a certain member of the team (not a player). . . **

** I must act covertly (due to the sensitivity and comfort level of certain members)

. . .and I may have to take a Packer fan sabbatical. :)

On second thought. . .nawwww !!

BallHawk
08-31-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't root for any of the Florida teams. I always root for them to lose, unless it has implications on my team.

I hate the Gators, 'Nols, and 'Canes. I hate them with a passion. Almost every person in Florida, adults included, will root for the Florida team doing the best. In the early 2000s, everybody was green and orange. Now everybody is blue and orange. That's how it works down here.

As for the Bucs and the Dolphins, nobody can decide what team to root for so I could care less about them.

Same with the D'Rays and Marlins.