PDA

View Full Version : Interesting concept I'd never heard before

packinpatland
08-31-2007, 09:25 AM
I have a brother-in-law visiting from CA (born and raised in Boston) who is an avid Patriot fan. Thanks fine.
We're discussing football, which I know should fall in the same categories as religion or politics......not a good idea...........
Well, he says in the Packer/Patriot game the Packers didn't really win because Parcells gave up and threw the game. I've never heard this before, anybody else ever hear this drivel?
It's ok to say my B-in-law is an ass, because he is. :roll:

Fritz
08-31-2007, 09:27 AM
And if you ever watched the X-Files, as your brother-in-law probably has, you'd know too that the Buffalo Bills will never win a Super Bowl.

Sigh. Another conspiracy theorist, huh?

packinpatland
08-31-2007, 09:28 AM
And if you ever watched the X-Files, as your brother-in-law probably has, you'd know too that the Buffalo Bills will never win a Super Bowl.

Sigh. Another conspiracy theorist, huh?

That's too nice.

CaptainKickass
08-31-2007, 12:03 PM
I have a brother-in-law visiting from CA (born and raised in Boston) who is an avid Patriot fan. Thanks fine.
We're discussing football, which I know should fall in the same categories as religion or politics......not a good idea...........
Well, he says in the Packer/Patriot game the Packers didn't really win because Parcells gave up and threw the game. I've never heard this before, anybody else ever hear this drivel?
It's ok to say my B-in-law is an ass, because he is. :roll:

Ok then....

"Your Brother In Law Is An Ass!"

That's right, I said it.

swede
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Pat,

I hope you win an all expenses-paid trip for twenty to the Super Bowl and then inform your brother-in-law that he just missed the cut but promise to wave to him.

I documented my disdain for the Pats in an earlier post today.

Tom Brady is a punk-ass.

I'm sure your brother-in-law is merely a garden variety ass.

packinpatland
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Seriously now. Has anyone heard this before?????

I need 'ammo', to politely discuss this with him.

cheesner
08-31-2007, 12:11 PM

Sigh. Another conspiracy theorist, huh?I am afraid to say this, but there is some merit to this 'Parcells threw the SB' conspiracy theory.

If you watch the game closely, you will see a 2nd signal caller behind the grassy knoll. Additionally, in area 51, I mean section 51, most of the fans there claim they saw the Goodyear blimp and not a weather balloon - as the military is claiming. I have seen some still photos of the game which prove the whole game was staged in a large Air Force hanger in Pokipsee.

swede
08-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Here's your ammo...

A Google search of "96 Patriots Super Bowl Conspiracy" turned up a link to "Outsports, the site for gay fans and athletes."

cheesner
08-31-2007, 12:13 PM

I need 'ammo', to politely discuss this with him.Come now. He will believe what he wants to believe. This is too outrageous to even approach. You might want to argue with someone who is sure the Moon is actually made of cheese. You can't really prove it unless you go there.

Just the fact that it would make absolutely no sense is proof enough that it is BS.

Noodle
08-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Here's the problem -- because this theory involves the claim that a beloved New England sports team was done in and done wrong, you can better believe some rock-headed blow hard has espoused it.

I have heard this theory from my Boston friends. The basic claim is that Parcells hated Kraft so much that he was willing to tank the game to keep Kraft from the glory (which Parcells had already enjoyed). Specifics include failure to make adjustments, particularly in regard to kicking to Howard, and prematurely abandoning a running game that was giving the Pack big problems (sounds kind of like Holmgren and Denver).

Anyway, just because this theory is out there doesn't mean your brother in law is any less of an a-hole. In fact, he's an even bigger a-hole for repeating/believing this crap. They got their asses kicked. Get over it.

rpiotr01
08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

I need 'ammo', to politely discuss this with him.

Here's the ammo:

3rd quarter, Patriots score a TD. Ensuing kick-off is returned for a TD by Desmond Howard. Pats down by 14.

With time starting to run dry and down by 2 TDs, the Pats realize they can't continue to keep a TE back on the line to help out the right tackle on Reggie White. They put their RT - an inexperienced guy - on an island against Reggie and, as we know, he gets destroyed. Reggie had three sacks from that point out, and one could argue that the additional pressure from the line at least contributed to the 2 INTs thrown by Bledsoe in the 4th.

So it wasn't Parcells throwing the game. Circumstances dictated a change of tactics, which backfired. The Pack was just the superior team. Keeping extra protection back put the Pats in a 14 point hole - letting it loose made things worse. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's why that SB team was one of the best of all time.

Anyway, I can't believe a Pats fan is STILL complaining about that SB loss, considering their success since 2001. What a loser.

Noodle
08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
You have no idea the capacity for bitching, moaning, and whining of a New England Sports fan. They are the most contemptible, self-pitying, excuse-making, bandwagon jumpers that ever spawned. They'll swallow any line of crap, and preach it as if it were gospel, to cover their own pathetic inadequacies and failures.

Cheesehead Craig
08-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Anyway, I can't believe a Pats fan is STILL complaining about that SB loss, considering their success since 2001. What a loser.
Seriously. It's been over 10 years, move on. Nothing to see here.

oregonpackfan
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
:roll:[/quote]

I would say that theory is pure, unadulterated, crap! :wink:

packinpatland
08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
To all of you...........Thank You!!!
I have to have dinner with him this evening........I'm ready. :twisted:

PackerBlues
08-31-2007, 03:42 PM
I have heard a similar rumor made about the SuperBowl against Denver. The rumor was that with only a minute and 45 seconds left in the game, and the Denver offense being on the 1 yard line in scoring position, Holmgrem told the Defense to let Denver score.

Apparently we were out of timeouts, and Denver could have ran the clock out by sitting on the ball at the one yard line. Our Defense let them score , and then gave our Offense 1:45 to tie the game. It almost worked, as Favre took us all the way to the Denver 31 yard line before a 4th down pass to Chmura was knocked down by linebacker Mark Mobley.