PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars Expected to Release Leftwich: Garrard Named Starter

OS PA
08-31-2007, 04:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story?id=09000d5d801fb08c&template=without-video&confirm=true

Leftwich expected to be released or traded; Garrard named starter
By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting quarterback Byron Leftwich will be traded or released by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Jaguars are expected to part ways with Leftwich before Saturday's deadline to reduce rosters to the 53-player limit.

Meanwhile, David Garrard, who started Thursday night's preseason finale against Washington, has been named the starter for Sunday's season opener against the Tennessee Titans. Garrard was 7-for-10 for 77 yards against the Redskins. Leftwich was one of 30 players who did not dress for the game.

Leftwich, who missed 10 games last season due to injuries, has started 44 of 46 career games in Jacksonville since he was the seventh overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft. He is in the final year of his contract.

The Jaguars have called a press conference for 5:30 p.m. ET.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Did we really make him look that bad?

BallHawk
08-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Apart from Carson Palmer, 2003 was a really, really bad QB class.

Lurker64
08-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Apart from Carson Palmer, 2003 was a really, really bad QB class.

The jury isn't quite out on Chris Simms and Seneca Wallace though, even though Wallace really should be a WR.

Him8123
08-31-2007, 04:53 PM
they just announced leftwich has left the building

RashanGary
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
That team looked instantly better once Leftwich left the game against us. I'm not suprised by this at all.

TennesseePackerBacker
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
That team looked instantly better once Leftwich left the game against us. I'm not suprised by this at all.

So you mean to tell me the fact that Gerrard was playing against our 2nd teamers sprinkled with a starter or two is comparable to Leftwich going against our number 1#'s?

SkinBasket
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM

You're just saying that because he's black!

wait for it.

wait for it...

Freak Out
08-31-2007, 05:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story?id=09000d5d801fb08c&template=without-video&confirm=true

Leftwich expected to be released or traded; Garrard named starter
By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting quarterback Byron Leftwich will be traded or released by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Jaguars are expected to part ways with Leftwich before Saturday's deadline to reduce rosters to the 53-player limit.

Meanwhile, David Garrard, who started Thursday night's preseason finale against Washington, has been named the starter for Sunday's season opener against the Tennessee Titans. Garrard was 7-for-10 for 77 yards against the Redskins. Leftwich was one of 30 players who did not dress for the game.

Leftwich, who missed 10 games last season due to injuries, has started 44 of 46 career games in Jacksonville since he was the seventh overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft. He is in the final year of his contract.

The Jaguars have called a press conference for 5:30 p.m. ET.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Did we really make him look that bad?

Detroit is ready and waiting.

PackerBlues
08-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Just another reminder as to how lucky we are to have had Brett Favre all these years. While so many other teams play "musical QB", Brett has been the one great constant in the Packer franchise.

Partial
08-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Sign him up for 3rd string. He's a baller!!

BallHawk
08-31-2007, 07:01 PM

Do you think Leftwich would really want to go somewhere where he's a 3rd stringer?

retailguy
08-31-2007, 07:05 PM

Do you think Leftwich would really want to go somewhere where he's a 3rd stringer?

LMAO! That's irrelevant ballhawk. It's what "WE" want that counts... :wink:

Good one.

oregonpackfan
08-31-2007, 07:54 PM
If Leftwich was willing to be 3rd string, I would take him over Paul Thompson or Ingle Martin any day!

I realize Ingle Martin if officially no longer with the team but some people claim the Packers might cut Thompson and re-sign Martin.

BooHoo
08-31-2007, 08:18 PM
This was a tough call days before the season begins. I guess he never really panned out well enough. In the last game, he showed them just more of the same old average stuff.

Merlin
08-31-2007, 11:53 PM

I know we are being sarcastic so here is some serious things things to ponder:

Do you really think 3T would ever sign him?
Do you really think that if we did sign him he would be our #3?

I always liked Leftwich as a QB, but Garrard is a good QB to. I am not surprised they went the direction they did but I am surprised they want to get rid of Leftwich.

Partial
09-01-2007, 12:02 AM
I like Leftwich. I think he's a good player who has had some bad breaks. I still maintain that any guy who is tough enough to finish a game with a broken ankle and let his offensive line carry him down the field is as tough as they come and has a spot on my team any day.

LEWCWA
09-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Here here partial. If the Vikes don't sign him they are dumber than shit! He could throw left handed and be better than anything they have!

the_idle_threat
09-01-2007, 06:46 AM
And here I thought a guy is "tough" if he doesn't get hurt all the time.

Playing on the broken ankle was gritty all right, but the guy isn't tough. He's a delicate flower.

Rastak
09-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Here here partial. If the Vikes don't sign him they are dumber than shit! He could throw left handed and be better than anything they have!

No thanks. Fat Albert sucks.

Partial
09-01-2007, 07:04 AM
He'd be a great insurance policy behind Jackson. I cannot believe they're cutting this guy. I thought they pretty much handed him the starting job this off-season.

Rastak
09-01-2007, 07:05 AM
He'd be a great insurance policy behind Jackson. I cannot believe they're cutting this guy. I thought they pretty much handed him the starting job this off-season.

I have no idea what his knowledge is of the WCO. I would guess it would take some time to come up to speed if alll the terminology is different. The season is upon us so it doesn't make that much sense. He's better than Bollinger I guess.....

Packers4Glory
09-01-2007, 07:07 AM
leftwitch makes the Bears instantly better and would look real good at Detroits starter. the guy can play. that team has had NO wr production since Smith retired.

run pMc
09-01-2007, 01:59 PM
He's talented. From what I recall scout's saying about him, he's a got a long windup/delivery, and is not very mobile. He's got a rocket for an arm and decent intangibles. He's a better fit for a downfield passing offense...JAX has tried using a flavor of the "Bill Walsh WCO" with him and he struggled. He has a long injury history, and I think any team with him would need a good OL and decent WR's to get him thru the season and probably into the playoffs.
I bet Mike Martz would love to snap this guy up. I expect WAS, MIA, KC, BAL would also be interested. He'll find a job as a #2 QB no problem.

SD GB fan
09-01-2007, 02:10 PM

i know the situation and consequences are different but its kinda like manual at safety, isnt it?