PDA

View Full Version : That spider thread

GrnBay007
08-31-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm one of those people that are afraid of spiders. I can handle little ones but get big time anxiety when I see a bigger ones. I can't get anywhere near them to kill them....have to use a broom.

Why I'm posting this here? I opened that thread....couldn't read the article and as soon as I saw pics starting to open I had to immediately click out of it. whewwww....

I try to talk myself out of this ....."they are afraid of me, why be scared" It's doesn't work. When I go in the storage room in the basement, it's an automatic scan of the room looking for spiders after I turn the light on... before I can walk in.

Freak Out
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm one of those people that are afraid of spiders. I can handle little ones but get big time anxiety when I see a bigger ones. I can't get anywhere near them to kill them....have to use a broom.

Why I'm posting this here? I opened that thread....couldn't read the article and as soon as I saw pics starting to open I had to immediately click out of it. whewwww....

I try to talk myself out of this ....."they are afraid of me, why be scared" It's doesn't work. When I go in the storage room in the basement, it's an automatic scan of the room looking for spiders after I turn the light on... before I can walk in.
Spiders are not afraid of you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

GrnBay007
08-31-2007, 06:02 PM

Spiders are not afraid of you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for supporting me on that. I don't think they are either!!

MJZiggy
09-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I just found a black widow web in my garden. I found the web but not the spider. So much for trimming my lavender plants today...

GrnBay007
09-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I didn't even know you could tell the difference in the webs re: which spider they are. ick ick ick.

MJZiggy
09-01-2007, 12:29 PM
A black widow web looks like a little tornado and the spider is SUPPOSED to be sitting inside...I can take a picture of it if you'd like to know when it's time to panic...

GrnBay007
09-01-2007, 12:38 PM
As long as it's only a pic of the web. If it's a pic of the spider, I will have to start yet another thread. :P

MJZiggy
09-01-2007, 12:46 PM
If I could find the spider, I wouldn't have this problem and my lavender would get cut... :o

MJZiggy
09-01-2007, 01:03 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t252/mjziggy/blackwidow.jpg

When you look at it, you can see clear down to the bottom of the "tornado"

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
What is the aggression levels of the Black Widow? I thought most spiders leave well enough alone, all though I wouldn't stick my tallywacker in that tornado web I can tell you that much.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Maybe you could dress up and beat them at their intimidation game.

My ex-wife was deathly afraid of bugs. I think she got over it. Now she just hates men. Nah.

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/7831/scan00028ms.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
More inspiration.....

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/spider_woman.jpg

MJZiggy
09-01-2007, 01:27 PM
What is the aggression levels of the Black Widow? I thought most spiders leave well enough alone, all though I wouldn't stick my tallywacker in that tornado web I can tell you that much.

Well, when you spray it with raid and put a baby food jar on top of it to try and suffocate it, it's really pissed off when you lift the jar to see whether it's dead yet...

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
More inspiration.....

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/spider_woman.jpg

More Pictures of yourself Harlan?

Freak Out
09-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Maybe you could dress up and beat them at their intimidation game.

My ex-wife was deathly afraid of bugs. I think she got over it. Now she just hates men. Nah.

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/7831/scan00028ms.jpg

I never used to beat off to comics.......

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 08:42 PM
More Pictures of yourself Harlan?

I'd do her.

Jimx29
09-01-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm one of those people that are afraid of spiders. I can handle little ones but get big time anxiety when I see a bigger ones. So then I would guess you won't be driving down to Texas to see this 200 yard web?

http://i19.tinypic.com/4xz5mci.jpg

Heads spinning over 200-yard spider web

By Bill Hanna

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

PREV of NEXT

Enlarge this photo

TOM PENNINGTON / AP

Lake Tawakoni State Park rangers Mike McCord, left, and Freddie Gowin monitor a giant spider web at the park Tuesday near Willis Point, Texas.

WILLS POINT, Texas — If you hate creepy-crawlies, you might want to avoid Lake Tawakoni State Park, where a 200-yard stretch along a nature trail has been blanketed by a sprawling spider web that has engulfed seven large trees, dozens of bushes and the weedy ground.

If you hate mosquitoes, you might just love this bizarre web.

"At first, it was so white it looked like fairyland," said Donna Garde, superintendent at the park about 45 miles east of Dallas. "Now it's filled with so many mosquitoes that it's turned a little brown. There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs."

There have been heated Internet discussions among experts whether the web was constructed by social cobweb spiders, which work together, or is perhaps a mass dispersal in which the arachnids spin webs to spread out.

Either way, it's generating a lot of bug buzz.

"I've been hearing from entomologists from Ohio, Kansas, British Columbia, all over the place," said Mike Quinn, an invertebrate biologist with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department who first posted photos of the web on the Web.

But there is little consensus about what sparked the phenomenon or even the type of spider responsible. Parks officials said similar but smaller webs have appeared along another trail.

"From what I'm hearing, it could be a once-in-a-lifetime event," said Herbert "Joe" Pase, a Texas Forest Service entomologist. "It's very, very unusual."

One Texas spider expert couldn't muster much excitement about the giant web.

John Jackman, a professor and extension entomologist for Texas A&M University and author of "A Field Guide to the Spiders and Scorpions of Texas," said he receives similar reports every couple of years.

"There are a lot of folks that don't realize spiders do that," Jackman said. "Until we get some samples sent to us, we really won't know what species of spider we're talking about."

Garde just wishes the entomologists would check out the spider web in person instead of arguing about it over the Internet.

Rangers expect the giant web to stick around until fall, when the spiders will start dying. Unfortunately, it probably won't last until Oct. 31.

"It would make a good Halloween set, wouldn't it?" said park ranger Freddie Gowin, who found the giant web while mowing about a month ago. "But I don't think you could pay me enough money to run through all of those webs."

Linkage (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003861683_web31.html)