PDA

View Full Version : Turn-around fair play? Should GB sign a former Texan?

Patler
09-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Should GB sign one of the former Texans, runningbacks Wali Lundy or Darius Walker?

Lundy wasn't bad last year, not great but not bad.
I think Walker could be a nice fit for GB. He is a very, very good receiving RB, set most of the receiving records for RBs at ND. He is a decent blocker and a classic one cut runner. He runs very hard and does not fumble. I had hoped GB would sign him as an undrafted FA.

Rastak
09-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Another guy that will be released shortly is Ciatrick Fason by the Vikings. He would provide depth and has some experience. Walker sounds like a decent option.

Vikings are also cutting TE Richard Owens who is a big guy who can catch some. He was far higher on the depth chart than Ben Steele who the Packers picked up a couple of years ago.

Packers4Glory
09-01-2007, 07:08 AM
i think i'd rather have Thomas from the saints.

Patler
09-01-2007, 07:21 AM

He hasn't been released, has he?

MadtownPacker
09-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Walker would be an interesting pickup. Isnt dude really fast?

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Should GB sign one of the former Texans, runningbacks Wali Lundy or Darius Walker?

Lundy wasn't bad last year, not great but not bad.
I think Walker could be a nice fit for GB. He is a very, very good receiving RB, set most of the receiving records for RBs at ND. He is a decent blocker and a classic one cut runner. He runs very hard and does not fumble. I had hoped GB would sign him as an undrafted FA.

I'd like Darius Walker; definitely more talented than Herron IMO. And some upside. Not a big fan of Lundy; he was ok last year, but he's Morency OK. Not a big fan of either. Both are better than the last backs we are considering keeping.

I'll be very disappointed if TT does not grab a RB and TE from waivers. Heck, he might want to grab a couple RB's

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 08:44 AM
I'll be very disappointed if TT does not grab a RB and TE from waivers. Heck, he might want to grab a couple RB's

I wish we had a GM where I would know he was going to pick-up a decent RB, rather then I GM where I have to hope that he picks up a RB.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 08:54 AM

I wish we had a GM where I would know he was going to pick-up a decent RB, rather then I GM where I have to hope that he picks up a RB.

I completely agree

Some in here are going to disagree with me here, but Ron Wolf is my guy. He was one impatient dude, always bringing in people for tryouts throughout the season. Nobody ever felt safe, even after the final cuts. No doubt would Wolf be bringing in a RB or TE; probably via trade. He'd find the level of talent we have at those positions unacceptable and would make it happen

TT seems to know how to build a decent long term team; Wolf went for the Jugular. He'd be bringing in help w/o a doubt.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Herron has grown on me as a 3rd RB. He doesn't make mistakes. He catches the ball. He blocks. Not a bad 3rd guy to have.

PackerBlues
09-01-2007, 09:39 AM
It just seems to me, that none of our top running backs has the frame or the build to last an entire season. Not to start a pissin contest about Green again, but his frame allowed him to deliver punishing hits himself, and usually wouldnt go down on first contact. The guys we have now almost look like they are looking for a spot to fall down.

As questionable as our O-line is at opening running lanes, I would like to see a more physical RB brought in. We seem to have an over abundance of smallish speedy guys with no ass to back them up on first contact.

Perhaps one of our young fullbacks will offset and compliment our smallish RB's. Short of Thompson bringing in someone else, thats what I will be hoping for. I guess it would be on M3 to open the playbook up to the FB's though. We will see I guess, I am just thankful that we have Favre to pick up the slack in the meantime.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 09:40 AM

there's something funny about going into Mike Sherman's grab bag to get out of this jam. Isn't he the Offensive Coordinator there now?

Packers4Glory
09-01-2007, 10:36 AM

He hasn't been released, has he? not yet.

oregonpackfan
09-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I have always like Darius Walker. He is a solid all-around RB.

green_bowl_packer
09-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Could be an interesting next few hours their is a good chance that anyone one of the following could be picked up by the Pack: Wali Lundy, Darius Walker, Mike Bell, Selvin Young, Pierre Thomas, or Antonio Pittman. Some pretty good drafted backs and young backs with experience that can't be hidden on the practice squad of their current teams because of our lousy depth. Of those listed, from what I've seen I'd take Thomas and Young, both are as good or better than what we have right now.

Could be some wheeling and dealing here by TT with the excess DT's, DB's, and K's . . . aah never mind.

McGinn was hinting at us trading a DB (Walker/Dendy) to St. Louis for QB Ryan Fitzpatrick and indicated the Pack were eying Thomas of N.O. and Freddie Jackson of Buffalo.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=655554

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Walker should have stayed in school one more year. His body and ability would have matured enough to make him a first day running back. Notre Dame never relied on him as the #1 option on offense with Brady Quinn on the team. He would have gotten more carries and could have proved his dependability.

If he can't make the Texans then he might be practice squad material, but if he really can't cut the roster at Houston then how good can he really be?

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Herron has grown on me as a 3rd RB. He doesn't make mistakes. He catches the ball. He blocks. Not a bad 3rd guy to have.

Isn't that what Tony Fischer was :?: :?:

retailguy
09-01-2007, 04:19 PM

What was wrong with Tony Fisher?

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 04:30 PM

What was wrong with Tony Fisher?

Nothing really; he was a steady RB with below average talent who was pretty assignment sure. We let him go find another team; IMO Noah Herron is the same guy

retailguy
09-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Nothing really; he was a steady RB with below average talent who was pretty assignment sure. We let him go find another team; IMO Noah Herron is the same guy

I'd say there is one big difference between Tony Fisher and Noah Herron. Noah is more valuable.

Why?

Look at the talent level that surrounded both of them. Fisher was less of a loss then Herron would be. Green and Davenport would have been JUST FINE without Fisher. Losing ole' Cement Shoes Herron scares the crap outta me because of what we're left with... :x

green_bowl_packer
09-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Pierre Thomas beat out Antonio Pittman

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2007/9/Saints%20Set%20Roster%20at%2053.aspx

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 05:01 PM

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2007/9/Saints%20Set%20Roster%20at%2053.aspx

Damn. I was hoping we'd at least have a chance at him.

Zool
09-01-2007, 08:47 PM

Dang. Quite the plummet from possible 1st or 2nd round pick for Pittman. I bet he doesnt make it to a practice squad anywhere.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Dang. Quite the plummet from possible 1st or 2nd round pick for Pittman. I bet he doesnt make it to a practice squad anywhere.

Why would you say he doesn't make it to a practice squad ? Just curious; he's young and I'd think several teams would want to snap him up unless he has a poor attitude

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 08:58 PM
I think there were people here who wanted Pittman. But whatever, none of us know enough on these matters. It's fun to talk about and see who's right and wrong but my guessing at players is not one of the things that I take pride in at this point. We/I just don't have the info needed to be good at it.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I think there were people here who wanted Pittman. But whatever, none of us know enough on these matters. It's fun to talk about and see who's right and wrong but my guessing at players is not one of the things that I take pride in at this point. We/I just don't have the info needed to be good at it.

There were some OSU fans who thought ok of him. Most of the debate here was with Lynch I think. I loved AP and wanted Lynch. After that it was my view that the next group seemed about the same. Some would make it, some would not, nothing to get too excited about.

But what do I know; I wanted TT to trade down or pick Robert Meachem

Zool
09-01-2007, 09:08 PM

Why would you say he doesn't make it to a practice squad ? Just curious; he's young and I'd think several teams would want to snap him up unless he has a poor attitude

Cause someone will take a flyer on him for a roster spot. I guess that was misleading.

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 09:16 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. Zool clarified.